As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Salt and Sanctuary: A 2D Dark Souls type game thing.

2»

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Disembowelled Husk
    certainly doesn't mess around.

He seemed scary at first but once I figured him out it wasn't that bad:
    I would suggest using a shield, that way you can block the gunshot. And when he does the bombardment just get away from him, it actually only hits a very small portion of the room around him.

Yeah I beat him first try after posting that.

All his moves are super telegraphed, they just do a lot of damage if you screw up.

The area after him really proves that this is a Souls game.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Beat the game with a heavy tank spec character like I usually do in Souls games, and sort of regretted it. The weight limit seems really harsh in this game even if you spec for it - I was never able to equip a full suit of the heaviest armor, let alone a tower shield. There are some cases where blocking works great but more often the fast roll seems more important. I was beating my head against the final boss for hours before I stripped down my weight to fast roll and beat it in a few tries.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Shields seem super required in this game no? Like... when you can't strafe, what other choice do you have? Rolling seems like asking for more pain.

I like the concept of the game a lot but that second stage has already gotten me pissed off

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Rolling has really generous iframes so it isn't too bad, mostly you want the fast roll for the extra distance to roll through the bosses it seems.

Also I've been two handing big weapons though so I do a shitload of damage before I get attrition-ed down.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Shields seem super required in this game no? Like... when you can't strafe, what other choice do you have? Rolling seems like asking for more pain.

I like the concept of the game a lot but that second stage has already gotten me pissed off

I keep a shield/one hand setup on backup for spots where I feel like I need it (certain bosses mostly) but I am rocking a giant 2 handed war hammer like 90% of the time. The roll is legit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

you get better at rolling

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Now that I've played this for a while, I think it might be an actual problem that you can get your creed to give you a weapon buff item at sanctuaries. Especially because they're very generous with placing sanctuaries near bosses. I've either one or two-shot almost all the bosses I've faced so far just because I can guarantee going in with a really strong weapon, at no resource cost whatsoever.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Now that I've played this for a while, I think it might be an actual problem that you can get your creed to give you a weapon buff item at sanctuaries. Especially because they're very generous with placing sanctuaries near bosses. I've either one or two-shot almost all the bosses I've faced so far just because I can guarantee going in with a really strong weapon, at no resource cost whatsoever.

How does that work? The items are incredibly cheap anyway so I've never bothered with the weapon buff sanctuary upgrade.

broken image link
  • Options

How does that work? The items are incredibly cheap anyway so I've never bothered with the weapon buff sanctuary upgrade.

You just spawn with one in your inventory, like you do with the healing items.

Also the fact that you can buff your weapon during the boss cutscene, that is also powerful.

I blew through all of the bosses except the last today, and I'm at the point where by far the hardest enemy and the foe that's killed me most is the ground. Cool game still but definitely have found it pretty easy overall, once I was past the first few hours of learning the game's language.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

You just spawn with one in your inventory, like you do with the healing items.

Also the fact that you can buff your weapon during the boss cutscene, that is also powerful.

I blew through all of the bosses except the last today, and I'm at the point where by far the hardest enemy and the foe that's killed me most is the ground. Cool game still but definitely have found it pretty easy overall, once I was past the first few hours of learning the game's language.

Are the free ones the same as the ones you can buy?

I find that gold is really easy to come by, so every now and then I blow it all on buff items and I have more than I'll ever need. Seems like a better deal to get another estus roll.

broken image link
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Yeah that's the other thing is there's basically nothing to spend gold on other than maybe boss armor??? But I got to a point where I was trying to do a tricky jump and losing 10k each death and I literally didn't care. I could probably dump it into buff items but I feel so powerful already it didn't occur to me.

As for extra estus, I've got 13 right now and that is waaaaaay too much. Never going to run out. Since you can get extras from the talent tree as well you can pretty easily reach a point where you will have healed so much you'll be dying in one hit and have estus to spare anyway. Definitely a point where it makes sense to stop getting extras of those.

The free ones all have different names like the healing items, but they seem functionally equivalent. Basically I feel like you have an excess of resources at a certain point in the game.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I haven't played this game but I watched a bit of a let's play and the boss names are hilarious souls madlibs.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Final playtime was 16 hours 30 minutes for a first run, and I'd guess that maybe 2 hours is leaving the game on or running around grabbing creeds for achievements.

liEt3nH.png