As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Discussion Round 3 - Fight!

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAe_Ydl7bl0

Yashiro was rocking that midriff, but Shemrie is still the favourite. For the teams, she could show up elsewhere. They throw out whoever on Women's Team, and there are enough missing classic characters to make an Orochi (or NESTS, for that matter) team.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, picked up SF5 Deluxe Edition for $51. I'm still a total scrub, but if you're down with playing with someone who barely knows how to play, hit me up. StabbityStyle ingame. Also, normal survival mode is hard >.<

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Woo, picked up SF5 Deluxe Edition for $51. I'm still a total scrub, but if you're down with playing with someone who barely knows how to play, hit me up. StabbityStyle ingame. Also, normal survival mode is hard >.<

Survival mode is garbage. The first 25 rounds are varying levels of zombie AI, and the last 5 are all psychic. Play forumers instead!

I set up a gdoc for PA forumers in SE++ to trade CFN names (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mnV4gqsEkcvyV4JiW3iklL5yvdOVJUGUVfikbEtxHLs/edit#gid=0) and a Discord voice/text chat server (https://discord.gg/0pbRlJYbEnDoyq6D)

Most forumers - myself included - are happy to play some beginner sets and teach basics. Happy punching!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

Survival mode is garbage. The first 25 rounds are varying levels of zombie AI, and the last 5 are all psychic. Play forumers instead!

I set up a gdoc for PA forumers in SE++ to trade CFN names (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mnV4gqsEkcvyV4JiW3iklL5yvdOVJUGUVfikbEtxHLs/edit#gid=0) and a Discord voice/text chat server (https://discord.gg/0pbRlJYbEnDoyq6D)

Most forumers - myself included - are happy to play some beginner sets and teach basics. Happy punching!

Thanks, will do! I do want those colors and that fight money, tho :<

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Realtalk, I spent three hours in survival grinding away for my delicious colors.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016

Don't kill yourself, we're getting the ability to buy colors this week with fight money. If there's one color you want that requires a hard clear, don't sweat it. You'll be able to buy it Wednesday.

Also, I highly recommend coming over to SE for the fighting game thread. It's very active.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Grove wrote: »

Don't kill yourself, we're getting the ability to buy colors this week with fight money. If there's one color you want that requires a hard clear, don't sweat it. You'll be able to buy it Wednesday.

Also, I highly recommend coming over to SE for the fighting game thread. It's very active.

From what I read, it's only premium colors that will be purchasable. And will do.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Does Xian have some kind of eyesight-related health issue?

• Options
    Are you being racist?

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    His hair touches his eyes. Bad habit letting it grow that way.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Page- wrote: »
    Are you being racist?

He got knocked out by Ricky Ortiz.
    During their match he appeared to be in physical discomfort, repeatedly squeezing his eyes tightly closed for a moment or two.
    While Ricky's Chun is looking immaculate, I watched Xian win evo with Gen not all that many years ago.

• Options
    Could be a sleep issue. People tend to stay up real late at majors. I doubt it's an actual eye problem, though it's not unknown. I've met some very, very good players who were nearing (or past) being legally blind. They have tricks to get around it.

stream
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Kelor on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    Are you being racist?

He got knocked out by Ricky Ortiz.
    During their match he appeared to be in physical discomfort, repeatedly squeezing his eyes tightly closed for a moment or two.
    While Ricky's Chun is looking immaculate, I watched Xian win evo with Gen not all that many years ago.

Xian ALWAYS does this. This isn't Sokpuppet being racist. Go watch episodes of Cross Counter Asia. He frequently squeezes his eyes really hard while concentrating. And it's not Xian blinking, you can see him blinking normally...relaxed, what have you. I noticed it while watching those episodes awhile ago.

Might be his hair actually.

You can see some of it within the first 30 seconds here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcYsQsFKQrU

Around a minute, Xian does a rapid series of squeezes in between normal blinks.

Anyway, not trying to draw it out or say anything. First time I saw it I thought he was in pain or sleep deprived or something as well. Then I noticed he does it all the time.

Not a big deal, but I didn't want anyone to think Sokpuppet was being racist.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Would we even get Shermie in KoF anyway without any other members of the New Face/Orochi team? Yashiro was better, also.

Shermie's appeared in some spin-off games by herself, I wouldn't be too surprised if she popped back up as part of a different team. Probably never going to happen though.

• Options
    Maybe Xian uses contact lenses.

But I blame the haircut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkjACqZNv1A

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc4fiH7AH1Y

Ricky vs Xian starts up just after one hour & nine minutes.
    I'd seen him do it before and heard the hair explanation, but it seemed worse than usual during this match which prompted me to ask.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I do that too when I've been looking at screens for a while when my eyes start burning

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    In other news, how about Ricky's Chun?
    I'd like to see more headstompage - the threat of an instant overhead does huge things.
    But wiping the floor with Xian is quite a feat. Huge improvements for a player that didn't particularly dominate brackets in IV.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Im gonna have to learn iall if im going to figure out how to fight it arent i....

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I caved and bought a season pass because Dark Souls 3 is going to eat my soul while Capcom gets its shit together and by the time I'm done I will be in no mood for grinding fight moneys.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Im gonna have to learn iall if im going to figure out how to fight it arent i....
    the hardest part is actually the fact that the timing isn't instant (like instant air teleport), but instead slightly delayed (there's a minimum height restriction, I guess?).
    so if you do the normal motion of 2369 + k you'll get a jumping kick unless you delay the kick input slightly

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    P10 wrote: »
    the hardest part is actually the fact that the timing isn't instant (like instant air teleport), but instead slightly delayed (there's a minimum height restriction, I guess?).
    so if you do the normal motion of 2369 + k you'll get a jumping kick unless you delay the kick input slightly

I'll have to try it but that sounds weird as hell.

I wonder if that's why I'm so inconsistent with dhalsim's instant air teleport. I'm dumb, you clearly just said the timing is different.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I'd like to see more headstompage - the threat of an instant overhead does huge things.
    But wiping the floor with Xian is quite a feat. Huge improvements for a player that didn't particularly dominate brackets in IV.

Her ability to control the space normally occupied by anti air using j.mp into ex legs in air is really impressive. I think people are still sort of struggling with how to be aggressive in this game without having the option of an fadc. You see a lot of "fuck it just do it" stuff that will only work as long as the enemy presses buttons. On wakeup though, it sure seems like mash jab is a go-to strategy that seems to work pretty well because of how unsafe the pressure game can be. Just how many times did Marn catch someone using his armor on wakeup?

Edit: I only really caught the second half of NorCal Regionals but I was a little disappointed at the character variety that saw use.

Fixed.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »

His ability to control the space normally occupied by anti air using j.mp into ex legs in air is really impressive. I think people are still sort of struggling with how to be aggressive in this game without having the option of an fadc. You see a lot of "fuck it just do it" stuff that will only work as long as the enemy presses buttons. On wakeup though, it sure seems like mash jab is a go-to strategy that seems to work pretty well because of how unsafe the pressure game can be. Just how many times did Marn catch someone using his armor on wakeup?

Edit: I only really caught the second half of NorCal Regionals but I was a little disappointed at the character variety that saw use.

Her.

And yes, Ricki played super well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NeoGaf is datamining the update.

It contains new outfits. Ken with short hair, cyber Nash and Mika with an outfit that makes her look like a Viera from Final Fantasy with a mask.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

It contains new outfits. Ken with short hair, cyber Nash and Mika with an outfit that makes her look like a Viera from Final Fantasy with a mask.

Well that doesn't tell me much beyond bunny ears and heels.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Well that doesn't tell me much beyond bunny ears and heels.

It's not far off.

http://shoryuken.com/2016/03/28/more-costumes-discovered-in-latest-street-fighter-v-update/

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Viera that is not.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Stupid it is.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

I was dicking around with it yesterday and didn't find it to be too difficult to time. I just put in 236, waited for the jump, then immediately 9+k. Left screen was decently on point for me while right screen needs a lot more consistent practice on clean inputs.

I like Rainbow's new costume. Alex I'm not sold on but I missed SF3 entirely so I have no nostalgia for him. I'm not sure if I'll buy him. It depends on what else I can get for fight money I suppose.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Stupid it is.

yCqHFNS.png

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I am torn because that Randy Savage skin for Gief is fucking rad, but also no improvements at all to the option for female characters plus a stereotypical costume bordering on racist for Rashid.

Aw well, don't have to buy those, I can just get the Gief skin. And use it FOREVER.

• Options
    Capcom borderline-racist stereotypes?! Shirley, you jest!

stream
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Way too much going on in that R. Mika reskin/texture. I don't like it. Changes the shape of the character too much.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    That Gief costume is amazing and will be a day 1 purchase. All of the female outfits are awful and sexist though so they get the pass. Maybe one day Mika and Laura will have *shock* covered chests/butts.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    That Gief costume is amazing and will be a day 1 purchase. All of the female outfits are awful and sexist though so they get the pass. Maybe one day Mika and Laura will have *shock* covered chests/butts.

It's funny, because Viera outfits are better than that one (some of them... like the only two with masks!)

• Options
    edited March 2016
    These look really good. I want to see them in motion.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199477910&postcount=10887
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199478010&postcount=10890
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199478114&postcount=10894

Necalli looks great. Mexican Death metal band. Reminds me of El Blaze's Asesino t-shirt.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith