As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Cartoons

13»

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    I absolutely loved the 90's X-Men. It is the pinnacle of Marvel animation. They just nailed every single character, Wolverine was actually short! Hell I even remember they did a pretty good version of the Dark Phoenix Saga.
    If only Disney would release a DVD box set I would be all over it.

This is right. Fuck the haters. I saw this show again recently and it was good. Everyone hating on the 90s X-Men cartoon can suck a dick.

valiance on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    silkypea wrote: »
    ok i know it wasn't a cartoon but who saw the generation x movie fox did? it had skin and jubilee
    I remember it being really bad, and that it would've worked much better as an awesome cartoon, like X-men. However, it did have Matt Frewer, and that was awesome. That reminds me I need to rent more of his Sherlock Holmes movies.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Gen-X movie was crap, but I still watched it. I remember it being a huge let-down when it first came on. It just looks cheap.

Mr Pink on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yea, they scrapped Penance, Chamber, and Husk because they couldn't afford to do the effects for them. It's like, damn, if you have to scrap half the cast why even bother.

What just killed it though was the villain being a bad, bad ripoff of Jim Carrey's Riddler from the Batman movie that had come out a bit earlier. Apparently they couldn't afford writers either.

Scooter on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Didn't the movie introduce some kid who was basically a "hip" Cyclops that could not only shoot blue lasers from his eyes but had x-ray vision as well?

Accualt on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wildcat on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I like how it says that article is a stub.

No, that's probably more info than anyone will ever need to know about Refrax.

Scooter on
  • MAD!MAD! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What is the General consensus on the New Marvel animations? Ie. Iron Man, Dr. Strange, Ultimates.
    So Far I've been getting quite a few people coming into the store and saying that they were pleased. Now I do have to say most of these customers who were pleased are not hardcore fans. BUT it is getting them into the stores and reading again. And if we want the industry to get stronger isn't this what we want?
    What are your thoughts?

MAD! on
  • ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MAD! wrote: »
    What is the General consensus on the New Marvel animations? Ie. Iron Man, Dr. Strange, Ultimates.
    So Far I've been getting quite a few people coming into the store and saying that they were pleased. Now I do have to say most of these customers who were pleased are not hardcore fans. BUT it is getting them into the stores and reading again. And if we want the industry to get stronger isn't this what we want?
    What are your thoughts?

The first Ultimates movie was terrible, but watchable. Ultimates 2 and Iron Man are terrible and unwatchable. Seriously, i own them both and i've never been able to finish watching either one. I'm a pretty big comics nerd, but it's not the lack of accuracy that bothers me. I like The Batman for crying out loud. What mainly bothers me about the recent Marvel cartoons is that not only are they inaccurate, they're also boring plot-wise, and terrible to look at. Everything has this permanent dodge/burn shading effect that stays the same no matter the angle or the light source, and it's like they looked at the comics and just decided all the characters needed to be 20% uglier. I don't care if it's 100% comics-accurate, but man, at least put some effort into it.

Scumdogg on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ultimate Avengers: It had as low build but, in the end, I found it enjoyable. Personally I like the animation because it looks like good old fashioned American stuff instead of the obnoxious anime that is so popular these days. I'm not going to say it was amazing but I was perfectly happy with it.

Ultimate Avengers 2: I...I really can't remember much. It was more action packed and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it. Apparently it was rather forgettable, but not bad since I don't have a negative memory about it.

Iron-Man: I'm not a big IM fan, in fact I never really cared for him. I thought this one was a pretty solid outing with a rather terrible ending. A friend and I watched and, other than the ending, I recall we actually enjoyed it a good deal.

There is something about the passing with all of them that is just off. They are more boring than comic book cartoons should be but I don't think any of them are bad. Mediocre, sure, but not bad. I wasn't really expecting anything more from them than that, though.

Accualt on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I went in to the Marvel movies expecting to dislike them based on the feedback I'd seen here, and in the end they weren't too bad. Nothing special, but not horrible either.

For some reason people put Dr. Strange on a pedastal above the others, which I don't understand particularly. I found them all to be about on par, which wasn't surprising given they were all made by the same group.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For a lot of us, the DC animated productions set the par. I suppose that's the problem.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh there's no denying it... I just finished Justice League and JLU, and while I have absolutely zero interest in DC generally speaking, it was rad and I can't deny it. I wish marvel animation was even close to that excellent, or interconnected.

I'll be checking out Superman:TAS next.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Virral wrote: »
    Oh there's no denying it... I just finished Justice League and JLU, and while I have absolutely zero interest in DC generally speaking, it was rad and I can't deny it. I wish marvel animation was even close to that excellent, or interconnected.

I'll be checking out Superman:TAS next.

While i didn't think it was as consistently good as Batman: TAS, Superman has some pretty spectacular episodes. "The Main Man" two-parter with Lobo is pretty great. If there's one thing wrong with DC animation it's that it needs more Lobo.

Scumdogg on