As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The People v. Castle [Daredevil Season 2]

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    This is the best Punisher because they don't portray what he's doing as cool or badass. He's a damaged human being who is doing something terrible.

Agree with the second sentence, not the first. It's pretty cool and badass, regardless. Every time DD or Karen or whoever is pleading with Frank to change his ways my reaction is "No, keep giving us more awesome ultraviolence."

I think thats more on you dude

....okay?

I'm just saying I'm not alone in my opinion.

(Blood for the blood god.)

thats fine but they aren't intentionally portraying the punisher as super awesome, thats something you're bringing to the show

He's certainly portrayed as very competent, within a defined range of skills. And of course the likability of a fictional character is determined more by agency than morality.

This is in no way a universal truth

I wouldn't say universal either, but certainly more common than not. You ever notice that villains are often substantially more popular than heroes? It's because they're typically driving forces, starting out much more actively.

That is a potential reason, yes.

But there are a lot of potential reasons as to why villains are (sometimes) more popular than heroes.

You really can't boil down decades of media studies to that.

Of course, my original post was too sweeping. Edited it a bit for added accuracy, thank you.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hey guys hey guys, maybe in Defenders season 3 we'll see Dr. Punisher!

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Just saw episode 10
    Holy damn, that scene with Matt and Wilson was powerful

Give that scene all the awards

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Upon finishing a second watch with Mrs. Chilla I think how you feel about this season is very, very dependent on how much you trust them to tie things together

because if I thought this was it I'd absolutely hate where Matt is at in his life and emotional state as an ending point, but I know it won't be

she however, was super pissed because she didn't know it would be continuing and when I explained that was accepting but still grumpy

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    This feels like the dark middle chapter, and all the stuff with Elecktra and the ninjas were just a way to get Matt there.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I still hate that, very ending spoilers
    Matt just tells Karen HEY IM DAREDEVIL

Her entire role in the series had been growing into the shockingly good investigator she became by the end of Season 2 and having THE answer just handed to her is way lamer than acting on her suspicions of Matt and figuring it out and confronting him about.

It feels like a huge cop out, honestly.

CYpGAPn.png
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Her entire role in the series had been growing into the shockingly good investigator she became by the end of Season 2 and having THE answer just handed to her is way lamer than acting on her suspicions of Matt and figuring it out and confronting him about.

They had basically gotten to the point that Karen finding out on her own would not have changed their relationship at all though

Matt keeping secrets was the problem, not the secret itself

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    why was he cock daft for elektra all of a sudden? I don't buy it.

yeah blank I disagree (and agree with MoM)

I think it had to go down that way

if
    she'd have found out herself theyd never speak again

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

They had basically gotten to the point that Karen finding out on her own would not have changed their relationship at all though

Except they could get the same payoff by having Matt say "Yup. You figured it out. In done lying to you."

Having him just hand the answer to her when her whole character arc is about finding the truth and being really good at it is lame as heck for her

CYpGAPn.png

Except they could get the same payoff by having Matt say "Yup. You figured it out. In done lying to you."

Having him just hand the answer to her when her whole character arc is about finding the truth and being really good at it is lame as heck for her
    dude finding out someone is lying to you and them copping to it AFTER is not the same as them admitting it [on a relationship, its a way different thing

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

She'd pretty much already figured it out by the time he told her. There are a couple of big tells that's show she's 99 percent of the way there. It's Matt finally admitting to her why he was lying.

Phillishere on

if
    I don't think So.

She would be really pissed, yeah

But she already knows Matt has some weird ass secrets and was lying through his teeth

But unlike Foggy when he found out, Karen really likes Daredevil and has been saved by him multiple times. Knowing that was Matt who put his life on the line for her more than once would mean a lot to her.

CYpGAPn.png

if
    I don't think So.

She would be really pissed, yeah

But she already knows Matt has some weird ass secrets and was lying through his teeth

But unlike Foggy when he found out, Karen really likes Daredevil and has been saved by him multiple times. Knowing that was Matt who put his life on the line for her more than once would mean a lot to her.
    I really don't think so

I think it was important for both of them it happened that way

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Re: Current discussion
    I assumed she knew for a fact that Matt was Daredevil when he rescued her from the Hand in the last episode...but then she made it unclear with her comments to Foggy afterwards about the end of vigilantes in NYC, and then she did seem surprised by Matt's confession at the end.

Still, they have enough wiggle room that in the next season they could just say she had figured it out already, and really, having her figure it out but then Matt confesses before she gets to confront him about it is probably the best route for both characters.

dude finding out someone is lying to you and them copping to it AFTER is not the same as them admitting it [on a relationship, its a way different thing
    I never said it was? I just said they could get the same payoff.

Using a real world example

I broke up with my ex because I wasnt feeling the spark that makes a relationship more than a friendship and hadn't been for a while. But she was In a fragile emotional state and I didn't want to hurt her or make it worse So I kept it up for longer than I should have so when I did end it it was pretty painful.

But then a few weeks later we talked and she said she got why I did what I did and said while it was still stupid and I shouldn't have done it, She forgave me and we parted amicably.

I don't see how Matt being honest for once after being confronted is an instant WE WILL NEVER SPEAK AGAIN deal breaker? Especially since Karen herself is still hiding her past and the fact that she killed Wesley from Matt?

CYpGAPn.png
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Karen was a better investigator than Matt for the entire season

When she drops the possibility he's in some kind of fight club, that pretty much destroyed any notion that she was being stupid about this in my mind

She could be a part of his life or not, and that was on him and not her

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I assumed she knew for a fact that Matt was Daredevil when he rescued her from the Hand in the last episode...but then she made it unclear with her comments to Foggy afterwards about the end of vigilantes in NYC, and then she did seem surprised by Matt's confession at the end.

Still, they have enough wiggle room that in the next season they could just say she had figured it out already, and really, having her figure it out but then Matt confesses before she gets to confront him about it is probably the best route for both characters.

Yeah that's pretty much my read as well
    She got the final pieces of the puzzle after she got rescued in the warehouse, her surprise at Matt's confession is just that. That he actually came out and admitted it to her. Both characters can move on from that position in a number of ways.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Daredevil s2's very end
    Karen discovering that Matt was Daredevil could have tied brilliantly with her feelings on Punisher's potential necessity earlier in the season.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Finished up over the weekend.

S2 Likes
    Everything involving the prison and Fisk.

Really came around on the new mask by the end of the season.

Nobu popping up out of nowhere. Audible "OH SHIT" when that happened.

Punisher was handled well. Not convinced a series with him is needed, but him showing up on other series would be fine.

S2 Dislikes
    Odd writing/scripting that you pick up on while binge watching. If Elektra has no clue what she is, why was Stick semi-taunting her about Matt finding out? And if that was just meant to be 'you're a killer' vs. 'you're the Hand's secret weapon', I think Matt knew that one already.

The passage of time was weird. It wasn't until close to the end of the last ep that I reazlied we'd moved through, what, six months of time vs. maybe one or two?

If that much effort is put into fight choreography, I'd like to suggest not having those scenes as dark as they're shot.

That's twice now that the finale felt weak by comparison to the rest of the season. Again with the "get new piece of tech from Melvin, go fight Final Boss" aspect. And then Frank shows up to . . . what, shoot two or three ninjas and roll out? I mean, you gave the guy a freakin' minigun - why not have him mow down huge portions of the Hand's army and get chased off the roof by police helicopters, leaving the stragglers and Nobu vs. Elektra/DD?

'Uneven, but good' has been my reaction to all three Netflix series.

Cage making the jump to 'ALL of this kicked ass' would be great.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    Lars wrote: »

Yeah that's pretty much my read as well
    She got the final pieces of the puzzle after she got rescued in the warehouse, her surprise at Matt's confession is just that. That he actually came out and admitted it to her. Both characters can move on from that position in a number of ways.
    If this is the case I will be fine with it, but I'm skeptical.

I really like Karen growing into a hard hitting investigative reporter and having the mystery that has been right in front of her for 2 seasons just handed to her rubs me the wrong way a whole lot.

If she already figured it out and they are clear about that then I'm good.

CYpGAPn.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    She enables his worst instincts. Elektra comes back into his life at a time when Foggy, Ka is pushing him to stop being Daredevil.
    The Judge wrote: »
    Finished up over the weekend.

S2 Likes
    Everything involving the prison and Fisk.

Really came around on the new mask by the end of the season.

Nobu popping up out of nowhere. Audible "OH SHIT" when that happened.

Punisher was handled well. Not convinced a series with him is needed, but him showing up on other series would be fine.

S2 Dislikes
    Odd writing/scripting that you pick up on while binge watching. If Elektra has no clue what she is, why was Stick semi-taunting her about Matt finding out? And if that was just meant to be 'you're a killer' vs. 'you're the Hand's secret weapon', I think Matt knew that one already.

The passage of time was weird. It wasn't until close to the end of the last ep that I reazlied we'd moved through, what, six months of time vs. maybe one or two?

If that much effort is put into fight choreography, I'd like to suggest not having those scenes as dark as they're shot.

That's twice now that the finale felt weak by comparison to the rest of the season. Again with the "get new piece of tech from Melvin, go fight Final Boss" aspect. And then Frank shows up to . . . what, shoot two or three ninjas and roll out? I mean, you gave the guy a freakin' minigun - why not have him mow down huge portions of the Hand's army and get chased off the roof by police helicopters, leaving the stragglers and Nobu vs. Elektra/DD?

'Uneven, but good' has been my reaction to all three Netflix series.

Cage making the jump to 'ALL of this kicked ass' would be great.
    "Odd writing/scripting that you pick up on while binge watching. If Elektra has no clue what she is, why was Stick semi-taunting her about Matt finding out? And if that was just meant to be 'you're a killer' vs. 'you're the Hand's secret weapon', I think Matt knew that one already."

For this one, I took it to mean that Matt didn't know that Elektra was Stick's personal assassin and that they only met because Stick arranged for her to shadow him. He knew she was capable of killing, but I don't it clicked that she was a weapon in Stick's war with the Hand.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Upon finishing a second watch with Mrs. Chilla I think how you feel about this season is very, very dependent on how much you trust them to tie things together

because if I thought this was it I'd absolutely hate where Matt is at in his life and emotional state as an ending point, but I know it won't be

she however, was super pissed because she didn't know it would be continuing and when I explained that was accepting but still grumpy

I agree with Mrs. Chilla, I am also grumpy at where the season ended, even knowing there will be more.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

She's a shockingly good investigator when she's specifically investigating a thing that she has the files and paperwork for. She isn't just going to look at Matt and go "Oh god, you're Daredevil aren't you?" apropos of nothing.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    "Odd writing/scripting that you pick up on while binge watching. If Elektra has no clue what she is, why was Stick semi-taunting her about Matt finding out? And if that was just meant to be 'you're a killer' vs. 'you're the Hand's secret weapon', I think Matt knew that one already."

For this one, I took it to mean that Matt didn't know that Elektra was Stick's personal assassin and that they only met because Stick arranged for her to shadow him. He knew she was capable of killing, but I don't it clicked that she was a weapon in Stick's war with the Hand.

Okay, that way of looking at it makes a bit more sense.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX

What does cock daft mean? British euphemism I've never heard.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I don't know, punisher's fight scenes seemed cool and awesome to me

They're all pretty much transplanted from a traditional action movie

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I'm assuming when you're all dumb in the head cuz you're horny

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

He was thinking with the wrong head.

NeoToma wrote: »

I'm assuming when you're all dumb in the head cuz you're horny

So, status quo? Gotcha.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I think the most likable thing about frank is his dale cooper like honesty and straightforwardness, especially in contrast to matt's bullshit

PNk1Ml4.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    It's pretty endearing the few times Frank checks someone into the "good guy" category.

Suddenly he goes from psycho murderer to "Yes ma'am, no ma'am, thank you ma'am" polite military mode.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Kana wrote: »
    It's pretty endearing the few times Frank checks someone into the "good guy" category.

Suddenly he goes from psycho murderer to "Yes ma'am, no ma'am, thank you ma'am" polite military mode.
    He still would have shot that older guy though

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

To be fair, early Spider-Man generally has Montana as a villain, so yah, this does happen.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    I would actually say that the two tokusatsu's I've seen that have american characters literally have them in cowboy hats

so its not like stereotypes only happen one place

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Yeah, that kind of thing actually happens pretty often in foreign entertainment. They don't necessarily use cowboys but there are a lot of stereotypical street gangs or weird henchmen in suits and sunglasses.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Does it count if the cowboys in question also do some 3rd grade version of karate? Because that's every episode of Walker Texas Ranger.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

He still would have shot that older guy though

I very much doubt it. That was definitely just a show for Matt.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Would anyone be surprised if such a show existed?

Since I just finished S2, I'll just say that pretty much every part of it scratched a particular itch in my brain marked "Frank Miller's Daredevil" and it's really weird to feel positive about a comic adaptation of a Frank Miller book.

euj90n71sojo.png