As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blood in places blood should not be..

CirrusCirrus Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
So, this is kinda graphic, but yes - tonight, I went to the bathroom, and upon evacuating my bowels, and looking down into the toilet, I saw...well, kind of a lot of blood. There's been blood on the toilet paper for a while, but I figured it wasn't a big deal - but this was a rather large amount. Enough that the water was kinda reddish.

I know I'm going to get a bunch of DOCTOR! NOW! replies, but I was just kind of wondering what this could be? It wasn't OLD blood - it was bright red, and seemed as though it was still bleeding. Perhaps a hemorrhoid?

Only thing there, I'm 19. I was under the impression that only older chaps got that kind of thing.

I realize that blood in the toilet bowl is NEVER a good sign, I guess I'm just kind of hoping for someone to tell me that it's probably not colon cancer. And if it is probably a hemorrhoid, what can one do about those? Is there any way to, like, heal them? Or are they just kind of...there?

Thanks...

Cirrus on

• Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hemmroids can happen to anybody, especially if you strain or push really hard to crap. It could also be a fissure allthough the ones I get never bleed that much. Maybe a boil that has poped but those usually hurt and don't bleed to bad. A polyp ripping free can cause blood out the anus. Lots of things can go a little off to very wrong but I wouldn't worry till your doctor does. Remember that a litlle blood in water will noticbly change the colour.

Try to eat lots of fruit and veggies, as well as yoghurt that has active cluture in it (most do) it will replenish goo gut bacteria and help to normalize things down there. Don push or strain to poop, let it happen naturally with only mild encouragement, you shouldn't have to give birth to shit!

And of course go see your Doctor when you can. He may do a test for Occult blood (not witches blood but dried blood that you don't notice) to make sure that you are not bleeding internally and it is having time to clot before passing. Could indicate a small bleed that is getting worse.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just in case... have you been eating a lot of red beets lately?

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    sounds like hemorrhoids

Any age group can get them

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Nibble wrote:
    Just in case... have you been eating a lot of red beets lately?

Hah - No, no red beets. And it was definitely blood. And yeah, while I realize that a tiny amount can turn the water red, this wasn't a tiny amount. There were lots of fun little droplets floating around, and the crap itself was stained red (not black) in places.

So, assuming a hemorrhoid - is the fruits/veggies/yogurt the best thing to do? Or are there other things liable to help rid myself of this?

And if anyone else has other opinions on what it could be, go ahead and say them. I'm not convinced about anything yet...

I will say this, though: It is good to not have people going "Oh my god, you're dying of cancer." :lol:

Cirrus on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, you'll be fine. Most likely a small tear either from a hemmorrhoid or just general over straining. Go to the doctor to pick up some fine "ass cream" that will clear it up and reduce any discomfort. You might also want to grab some metamucil. Couple that with a change in diet and everything will take care of it's self.

Having a bowel movement should be relaxing and comfortable, you shouldn't be re-enacting an alien movie or a child-expelling mother.

I've been there, and had my doctor probe around back there, it wasn't fun. But it was nice to get it over with and know I wasn't going to have my colon rot out from under me.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Allright, I say it. Doctor = now.

I could speculate about it (hemorrhoid sounds plausable enough), but blood in the stool is not a good thing, especially in any sort of quantity.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Increase your fibre intake by eating more whole grains and adding a fibre supplement (Metamucil or pills). You'll need to vastly increase your water intake as well since the two most common causes of hard stool are lack of fibre and dehydration. You'll still want to get checked out by a doctor too, since long term damage from fissures / hemorrhoids can be bad.

stigweard on
  • Options
    PoyndexterPoyndexter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just to throw my experience out there. When I was 19 I had pretty much the exact same things happen to me. I went to the doctor and let him poke around my anal regions. He thought I was joking, as he could find nothing wrong with me.

Nothing like a doctor elbow deep in your asshole telling you that you came to see him just so you could get your pooper violated.

Just in case though, I'd go see a doctor...

Poyndexter on
    ‹^› ‹( •¿• )› ‹^›
  • Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It could also be a sign of Ecoli, you should go get checked out.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    TheungryTheungry Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, the likelihood is that its not anything serious. doesn't sound like a symptom of any colon cancer i've ever heard of, but clearly you have an open wound in your body that is getting regularly smeared with feces. If you had a hemmohroid or anal fissure, you'd probably be in more pain when you wipe your ass, which means its more likely its internal. which means an anal endoscopy and cauterization most likely. Simple procedure, but not a DIY solution unless you have some serious Reed Richards type powers going on that we don't know about.

See a doctor.

Theungry on
    Unfortunately, western cultures frown upon arranged marriages, so the vast majority of people have to take risks in order to get into relationships.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Did it hurt at all? Anal fissures and hemorrhoids are supposed to be somewhat uncomfortable, at the very least a bit of a sting.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Are you an athletic person at all? I had this same sort of issue, and my doctor advised me that I was dehydrated (I'm a cyclist), and that my stools were simply reflecting that.

Could be 'roids though.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    There's a bit of pain - only when I actually am shitting, but yeah.

One thing I notice, though - I'm generally not dehydrated. I drink plenty of water, and my stools aren't usually hard - so I don't think it's that....

Cirrus on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    stigweard wrote:
    Increase your fibre intake by eating more whole grains and adding a fibre supplement (Metamucil or pills). You'll need to vastly increase your water intake as well since the two most common causes of hard stool are lack of fibre and dehydration. You'll still want to get checked out by a doctor too, since long term damage from fissures / hemorrhoids can be bad.
    I was just going to recommend that. I had this problem a year or so ago, and I drank more water and fiber, and it cleared it right up, no blood at all after that difference.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Everyone has already said the most likely possibilities, but it could also be rough sex play in the region.

crake on
  • Options
    SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    A doctor's visit, a change in diet (more fiber, more fluids) and less stress can fix this.

Just a warning. Any doctor worth his medical license will be sticking something in your rectum.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Options
    amarygmaamarygma Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I assume you are male (not menstral). It doesn't say in your profile.

It could also be a symptom of an ulcer. If you have a part of your stomach lining being eaten away by its own acids, you will find blood in your stools. If you're under a lot of stress you may cause this.

amarygma on
    Whee!
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited November 2006
    jhunter46 wrote:
    It could also be a sign of Ecoli, you should go get checked out.

Or stomach cancer (lethal).

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm only 18 and I literally just got back from the doctor's office to get 'roid cream.

Gigaton on
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i have hemmeroids when i was 15. i didn't have blood when i pooped, i had discomfort while sitting and eventually it hurt a shit load so i looked at my ass in the mirror (awkward) and saw a fucking hemmeroid. went to the doctor, they told me get some prep. h and within 2 weeks all was fine. so if its a hemmeroid. you'll be a.ok

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    To of my friends radically changed their diet cutting all forms of fat, They shat blood for a day or three. They don't know exactly why but it did happen.

Blake T on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If it's bright red, that's a good sign, if you have dark blood, then it's that means its going through your digestive system. I'd say it's probably a hemmroids, best to get it checked out though.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    And blood on the stool is not a good sign. The darker (more brown or black) the blood appears, the higher the bleed in the GI tract is (stomach, esophagus). The brighter the blood, the lower it is on the GI tract (large intestine, anus, etc).

Yes it can be hemmorhoids as stated above. It can also be an early sign of colorectal cancer and Crohn's Disease.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.