As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX Boardgame Night: Ep. 2016, THE DICE AWAKEN

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    and drinks will be drunk .... :P

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Baka AlBaka Al Registered User regular
    I was hoping that this would be happening as was hoping to get involved in the pre-pax gaming this year! Thanks so much for getting this show on the road Lexi

• Tanjin90Tanjin90 Registered User regular
    So happy this is saved, ill be there with a copy of BSG+expansions

• darksteelreaprdarksteelreapr Registered User regular
    I'll be there with Cards Against Humanity! Just look for the bald guy with the grim reaper tattoo on his forearm.

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I should be there with sushi go if nothing else.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Loved last year, planning on coming by after group dinner. Bringing a bucket of stuff, will post when we're closer in case I change my mind :P

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    I'm flying in this year so I cant bring my big things, I'll have The Resistance though.

SK3ozR5.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I'm not at that hotel, but if I can get a cab I could probably bring Perplex City: The Game and some Ascension stuff.

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    still figuring out what I can reasonably bring ...

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    I love doing Joust every year and can't wait to get a few rounds in! Keep Talking will be a lot of fun with strangers. Do we have any requests for physical board games though? I'll be almost certainly be bringing The Resistance and/or Ultimate Werewolf, and potentially one or two big games like Cosmic Encounter depending on what's being requested.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • QuickAndDirtyGamesQuickAndDirtyGames We make offensively fun party games Registered User regular
    Hey all, we make a party game that's on Kickstarter and we'll be exhibiting at PAX East this year called Quick And Dirty. I'd love to bring some copies and get people playing, it's my first time attending PAX so I've never been to any of these events before. Do I just rock up on the day and start mingling or is there some process I need to follow in advance?

Cheers!

• pennywaltzpennywaltz Registered User new member
    So looks like I am ditching my friends at pokecrawl for this. I'll be bringing King of Tokyo and Dominion and Catan

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Hey all, we make a party game that's on Kickstarter and we'll be exhibiting at PAX East this year called Quick And Dirty. I'd love to bring some copies and get people playing, it's my first time attending PAX so I've never been to any of these events before. Do I just rock up on the day and start mingling or is there some process I need to follow in advance?

Cheers!

Rock on up, baby. Grab a table - signage for your table would be good, but our only request is that you don't try to bomb the event (ie: no flyers on all the tables, no annoying soliciting , etc...) There will be an info table helping to direct people to games and you'd be welcome to let them know you're looking for players/playtesters.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • QuickAndDirtyGamesQuickAndDirtyGames We make offensively fun party games Registered User regular
    Awesome, we'll bring a reasonable sign then too. Don't worry we don't have the budget to spam everyone! Is outside alcohol allowed or is there a bar there?

Awesome, we'll bring a reasonable sign then too. Don't worry we don't have the budget to spam everyone! Is outside alcohol allowed or is there a bar there?

No outside alcohol. Bar specifics will be posted to the OP one they're available.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Thank Jibbers for this. I was beginning to get depressed thinking about how this wouldn't happen this year. Thanks a ton, @LexiconGrrl

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • TheGameGuruTheGameGuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    HOLY SHIT ITS ON!! Pax wouldn't be the same without Pre-pax boardgames at the Westin. Really excited that JS Joust will be in the same space, it was awesome to have that running at Pax Prime this year.

@LexiconGrrl you are incredible! I will definitely be treating you to a beer or some cookie brigade goodies for your hard work. Glad you are taking the night off to enjoy the fruits of your labors. Please let me know how I can contribute to the 'thanks' to the Westin manager as well.

I'll be bringing a few games, although not sure which ones yet (likely Codenames, Sheriff of Nottingham, Exploding Kittens, Cash & Guns and whatever else I throw in my bag).

See everyone in 3 weeks! :D

TheGameGuru on
  • FastrFastr Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT ITS ON!! Pax wouldn't be the same without Pre-pax boardgames at the Westin. Really excited that JS Joust will be in the same space, it was awesome to have that running at Pax Prime this year.

@LexiconGrrl you are incredible! I will definitely be treating you to a beer or some cookie brigade goodies for your hard work. Glad you are taking the night off to enjoy the fruits of your labors. Please let me know how I can contribute to the 'thanks' to the Westin manager as well.

I'll be bringing a few games, although not sure which ones yet (likely Codenames, Sheriff of Nottingham, Exploding Kittens, Cash & Guns and whatever else I throw in my bag).

See everyone in 3 weeks! :D

Code names is so good! I wonder if anyone will have spyfall.

• nosutnosut MA, USRegistered User regular
    Im stoked! I just bought the rest of the Superfight! expansions which I will be bringing with me.

• jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    Lexicon, PM me...I need your email. I have some big news but need your help coordinating. I will post details when I get confirmation.

npyymaqh3gup.png
    jayh0va wrote: »
    Lexicon, PM me...I need your email. I have some big news but need your help coordinating. I will post details when I get confirmation.

Done, and emailed.

Although I'd love to take all the credit, it's really not because of me this year. This particular manager is really the one we should be appreciating, so thanks for calling that out! I'll post more info on her gift soon.

I'm not going to spill the beans here (unless Lexicon lets me :P ), but fans of social deduction games are going to want to attend this event. TopherRocks and rtm416...I'm looking at you.

My excitement is reaching Joy Puke levels. Don't miss this!!

npyymaqh3gup.png
    edited April 2016
    I'm not going to spill the beans here (unless Lexicon lets me :P ), but fans of social deduction games are going to want to attend this event. TopherRocks and rtm416...I'm looking at you.

Oh man, I hope I can be there! Hopefully Enforcer meetings will play nicely.

rtm416 on
    SK3ozR5.png
  • FastrFastr Registered User regular
    rtm416 wrote: »

Oh man, I hope I can be there! Hopefully Enforcer meetings will play nicely.

Agreed!

• graphicpirategraphicpirate Registered User regular
    - 350 seats minimum
    Was this supposed to be Maximum or does that mean they need 350 people to guarantee the space? If it does require the 350, will there be a sign up list?
    - We're working on getting a bar or bars downstairs
    If not will we be able to purchase a drink upstairs and bring it down?

One last question. Will we have to show a pax badge to get in at all or will we be able to invite non pax goers out for the gaming event?
    I ask because we have some gaming friends there were unlucky with the badge blitz but it would be a cool way for them to get some pax fun time in despite not being able to actually attend the con.
    Thanks!

edited April 2016
    - 350 seats minimum
    Was this supposed to be Maximum or does that mean they need 350 people to guarantee the space?
    Minimum. It means they'll give us at least 350 seats but can give us more if needed. I would need to let them know ahead of time if we need more than that, and that's kind of an intuitive guessing game (ie: no extra tables will be set up during the event, but we can up the number of seats ahead of time).
    If it does require the 350, will there be a sign up list?
    Nope: first come, first served. We always fill up between 7pm and 11pm and people game on the floor. Always.
    - We're working on getting a bar or bars downstairs
    If not will we be able to purchase a drink upstairs and bring it down?
    Yuppers! Not from the MJ O'Connor's (that's a private restaurant with a separate license), but from the Birch Bar.
    One last question. Will we have to show a pax badge to get in at all or will we be able to invite non pax goers out for the gaming event?
    This is not a PA-organized activity and happens before the con, so no badges needed. Everybody is welcome.

LexiconGrrl on
  • graphicpirategraphicpirate Registered User regular
    Awesome, thank you very much.

edited April 2016
    Hokay, OP has been updated, and reposted here because nobody ever goes back and re-reads the OP.

This event is ALL AGES!! It's also FREE! And there are NO SIGNUPS!!! Just show up and have a great time. Feel free to bring your spawn, but remember that PAXers have filthy, filthy mouths and your wee ones may be subject to some exciting new vocabulary.

DEETS:
    -350 seats in the Basement Exhibition Hall - take the down escalator behind MJ O'Connors and follow the signs.
    -No gaming in the upstairs lobby this year at all. Gamers will be asked by staff to go downstairs.
    -This event is not paid for, endorsed by, or affiliated with Official Penny Arcade. It is a community-run event.

Food and Drink

DRINKS
    - We're working on getting a bar or bars downstairs.
    - Drinks can be ordered from the Birch Bar upstairs and taken downstairs.
    - NO DRINKS CAN BE TAKEN OUTSIDE OF MJ O'Connor's. Please do not order drinks for takeout from them. (Their restaurant license is separate from the Westin and takeout cocktails are illegal).
    - No outside boozes. Just don't.

FOOD
    - There will be no table service.
    - Food can be ordered from the Birch Bar upstairs. Please make every effort to order from them - I know it's pricey but it's how we pay for this space.
    - The Westin has indicated that for this year only, ordering from outside vendors is OK. We'll try to have delivery menus available. Still, please try to order from the Birch Bar.
    - The Cookie Brigade will have a table for dropoff and donations

RULES
    THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE: The Westin gives us this space for free. They are not obligated to host us and we make every effort to be good guests. We negotiate this every year in exchange for a good bar and restaurant take. This year is a little different from normal since we'll be pretty far away from the bar and restaurant. Even so, please make every effort to purchase from the Birch Bar for food and drink this evening.

- Please don't be an egregious douchebag. For example, one year in Seattle, some guy decided it would be a great idea to vape in the ballroom and the hotel manager came and had an unpleasant chat with me about it. This isn't your buddy's garage man cave, please act appropriately. We pride ourselves on being a responsible, self-policing community, so if you see someone acting inappropriately (smoking, vandalizing or just being a dick), it's a good idea to nicely recommend they knock it the fuck off before management does.

- Be Excellent to each other. We freaks and geeks can be a socially maladroit group, so if someone is shyly lurking by your table, invite them to join. Be patient, be nice. Please don't flip your table.

HOW IT WORKS
    1. The Cookie Brigade will be staffing the info table. Additional volunteer staffers are always needed, so step up if you want to take a shift for an hour or two that evening!
    2. LexiconGrrl (me) will be off enjoying the fruits of my labors for the first time in this event's history. I'll be "that" middle aged drunk woman with the glasses loudly doing Rammstein Karaoke at the table while everyone else pretends not to know me.
    3. If you've got a game and are looking for players, put the box top of the game vertically on your table. This is the universal sign for "I don't care who you are, please join us"
    4. If you're looking to join a game, look for vertical box tops.
    5. We will have a hosted checkout system at the info table. You can drop off games to loan or borrow games there. If you're dropping off, I recommend doing this:
    fpw9gvslxm9p.jpg

Weekend Gaming
    The mezzanine will open for weekend gaming at 5:00pm on Friday, and the tables will remain up through Sunday night/Monday morning.

Never Been? Here's what you should know:
    Pre-PAX Game Night at the Westin has been a tradition for 5+ years at East. At its largest in 2014, Four Hundred seats were filled to bursting with boardgames of all sorts, and the event is one of the only all-ages, free-to-attend activities on Thursday night. Renting this space is cost prohibitive, so we've successfully negotiated with the hotels to give us space for free every year (no small feat).

You don't have to pay to get in, it's open to the public, all-ages, and people are really nice. It's a great way to come and kick off PAX with a massive group of friendly, like-minded PAXers and the selection of boardgames is mindblowing. You can bring your own, or find someone to borrow a game from. There is no central game library but lots of people bring private collections to loan out during the event while other folks prefer to set up a single game ahead of time that they bring. It's very free-form and is a completely volunteer, community run event.

LexiconGrrl on
    Hey Everybody! This event almost didn't happen this year, so we're getting a thank you gift for the Westin manager who saved it for us.

Backstory
    This event is getting more and more difficult to wrangle each year as PAX grows and space becomes increasingly scarce. This year it almost didn't happen until one specific manager at the Westin stepped in and rescued it. We're fundraising to buy her a thank you gift that will come from the whole PAX boardgame community.

The Gift
    We're getting her a fancy day spa package; you know something that she would probably like but wouldn't necessarily spring for normally. The specific package will depend on how much we raise but I'm looking at the Mandarin Oriental or if we really raise some funds, an overnight at the Chatham Bars Inn on Cape Cod. The gift will come from the "PAX Boardgame Community"

If you love this event and want to contribute, please use the link below, which has been pre-approved by forum administration.

https://www.gofundme.com/PrePAXGameNight

The link will stay live until the Friday after game night, so that any walk-ins on Thursday have a chance to contribute if they didn't know about it before.

Thanks!

Hey Everybody! This event almost didn't happen this year, so we're getting a thank you gift for the Westin manager who saved it for us.

Backstory
    This event is getting more and more difficult to wrangle each year as PAX grows and space becomes increasingly scarce. This year it almost didn't happen until one specific manager at the Westin stepped in and rescued it. We're fundraising to buy her a thank you gift that will come from the whole PAX boardgame community.

The Gift
    We're getting her a fancy day spa package; you know something that she would probably like but wouldn't necessarily spring for normally. The specific package will depend on how much we raise but I'm looking at the Mandarin Oriental or if we really raise some funds, an overnight at the Chatham Bars Inn on Cape Cod. The gift will come from the "PAX Boardgame Community"

If you love this event and want to contribute, please use the link below, which has been pre-approved by forum administration.

https://www.gofundme.com/PrePAXGameNight

The link will stay live until the Friday after game night, so that any walk-ins on Thursday have a chance to contribute if they didn't know about it before.

Thanks!

She was so helpful last year too. I must have called 3 or 4 times to have tables sent to different areas and they were up within 5 minutes!

SK3ozR5.png

Amazing idea, thank YOU for getting this together!

Open your hearts and wallets people...everyone has a dollar to spare!

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, first PAX and brand spanking new to the board. I just read everything in this thread and holy shit, the heroism that went into putting this together. I am absolutely attending this. I will be bringing Resistance, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Dead of Winter and Pandemic, assuming I can fit all of them in my bag. Oh, I'll totally dish out cash to the bar too. So stoked. Thanks to all for organizing this.

6pq9je4.png
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I shall be brining games, but they will all be quite small as I have to travel quite far to get to PAX East in the first place. The games will be:

Codenames - well known party game where two teams of spies try to contact spies from the same faction using obscure words.
    6 Nimmt - Anti trick card game that takes up to 10 players
    Coup Rebellion - Variant of Coup with lots of different roles
    Abluxxen - German card game requiring people to create tricks via series of cards
    Blood Bowl Team Manager - Staple deck building game
    Impulse - 4x space exploration game that is made up of a bunch of cards
    No Thanks - Risk reward based trick pulling game
    Lords of Scotland - Elegant and combative card game that has players mustering Scottish clans to gain their support for the throne

I shall also be bringing along Forum Badges for people to pick up. Note: No questions need be answered if you pick the badges up from this event or the Pre PAX Dinner

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin wrote: »
    Lords of Scotland - Elegant and combative card game that has players mustering Scottish clans to gain their support for the throne

Somebody needs to mashup the Terry Pratchett "Scone of Stone" into a Scottish-themed boardgame.

That one's free.

Hey everybody - please don't forget that we're running a fundraiser to thank the Westin manager that rescued this event for us. Every little contributions counts! http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/34877701/#Comment_34877701

• robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    Hey everybody - please don't forget that we're running a fundraiser to thank the Westin manager that rescued this event for us. Every little contributions counts! http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/34877701/#Comment_34877701

How much are you shooting for on the GoFundMe campaign? https://www.gofundme.com/PrePAXGameNight

6pq9je4.png

I'm not sure if this is in the cards, but a jar or something at Info might be the best method. You're more likely to get 10 people giving $2 than one giving $20.

SK3ozR5.png
  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Donated. If everyone donates a few dollars we'd have a decent total to make her know it matters and hopefully incentivise her to continue helping us out!

I KNOW there were quite a few people who were ok with a cover charge or something of that sort, consider this the cover charge!

SK3ozR5.png