As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Mugsley was warned for this.
    http://i.imgur.com/Nh902aV.gif

Tube on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, no. It's really not funny comparing a Windows update to rape.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Rick and Morty is life

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    After hearing the scare of Win10 upgrading by itself I checked my updates and saw I had the KB3035583 update and I was like NOPE and quickly uninstalled it. Granted it took like an hour for my comp to restart and manage all the files but hey whatever gets that upgrading scare away from my comp and mind.

After that I checked for updates again and it found the KB3035583 update twice and I hide both.
    I hope that update wasn't nessessary, my comp seemed to run fine after uninstalling it.

If you're worried about an unexpected upgrade to Win 10 (and reports are varied about how much choice you get, so I don't blame you), I'd recommend using the GWX Control Panel to remove and block the necessary updates, tweak the necessary registry keys, and delete any Win 10 installation packages that might've been downloaded already. You can also have GWX Control Panel monitor for any changes on your system, if you want, and alert you if it finds any Win 10 update stuff resetting itself, etc.

Hiding KB3035583 is a temporary measure at best, I've found. It will continue to reset itself at intervals.

Wish I would have come into this thread and read about this earlier. Came home tonight and saw my computer screen was lit up in the process of rebooting. Confused, until it loaded up a "Upgrading Windows" screen. Thanks, Microsoft! Only at 30% after 25 minutes.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I am loving Windows 10. I do have one gripe though - my computer refuses to sleep on its own if Chrome/Steam are running.

steam_sig.png
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    What are the patch notes for
    Upgrade to windows 10 pro, version 1511, 10586

I can't find them? Where do you find patch notes anymore? It doesn't say what it is doing, and I'm curious.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »

I can't find them? Where do you find patch notes anymore? It doesn't say what it is doing, and I'm curious.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/7695/heres-whats-new-in-the-windows-10-fall-update

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited March 2016
    wunderbar wrote: »

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/7695/heres-whats-new-in-the-windows-10-fall-update

Fall update? How old is this patch? Why has my windows not told me about this? I thought I had auto updates on? Only thing I checked was tell me so I can set restart time?

Also, I found I wasn't updated because I wanted killer instinct. Can I choose were windows puts store items? I have a small C drive?

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1

Fall update? How old is this patch? Why has my windows not told me about this? I thought I had auto updates on? Only thing I checked was tell me so I can set restart time?

Also, I found I wasn't updated because I wanted killer instinct. Can I choose were windows puts store items? I have a small C drive?

I honestly don't know why you didn't have it yet. It was supposed to push out to all windows 10 users, well, in the fall.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar

I honestly don't know why you didn't have it yet. It was supposed to push out to all windows 10 users, well, in the fall.

Well I have it now. I am curious to check my wife's computer. I specifically waited for windows 10 for this update. I guess I had expected it to have been installed, as I have updated various things and had my computer restart all ready.

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    So I heard something about Linux on Windows? Did Microsoft just announced the year of the Linux desktop?

steam_sig.png
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    So I heard something about Linux on Windows? Did Microsoft just announced the year of the Linux desktop?

sort of: http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html

lets you run native scripts and other such things from the command prompt, basically it's a linux emulator.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »

lets you run native scripts and other such things from the command prompt, basically it's a linux emulator.

I feel like this has been done before, in a simpler level.

Hell, there are multiple Android emulators for all modern versions of Windows, and, you know, that's based on a Linux kernel and...well....

Nevermind.

this is actually the simplest of all. It's just built in. Essentially Ubuntu build them an image that contains bash and the necessary bits to make it work, Microsoft built OS level API hooks into that image, so you just run a terminal, and...that's it.

This is super fascinating, and I hope we get an insider build with it soon. this might not be the biggest deal to the average joe but for developers, sysadmins, etc this could be huuuuge if it is as seamless and works as well as it looks like it could.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Yeah I'm jumping on the next insider build that has that piece baked in. What a world where the three big OS platforms are now unix compliant*.

*well, not really, but in all the ways I care about anyway.

Zxerol on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I only ever dabbled in Cygwin to run a MUD locally, but I'll happily to poke at this in a year when they finally do it.

Xeddicus on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Hell, there are multiple Android emulators for all modern versions of Windows, and, you know, that's based on a Linux kernel and...well....

Nevermind.

Yeah, this is directly hooked in to the OS itself. It doesn't get more efficient/better than that.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Well I have it now. I am curious to check my wife's computer. I specifically waited for windows 10 for this update. I guess I had expected it to have been installed, as I have updated various things and had my computer restart all ready.

Some folks just haven't had it get installed. I don't know what prevents it, but it has to do with it being essentially a service pack. I've seen a few clients' computers not have it pushed through, and I can't do it remotely because the connection is severed during the process.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Synthesis wrote: »

Nevermind.

Yeah, this is directly hooked in to the OS itself. It doesn't get more efficient/better than that.

This is awesome except for the fact I don't know where to start learning Linux.

Bro I don't even grep

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Some folks just haven't had it get installed. I don't know what prevents it, but it has to do with it being essentially a service pack. I've seen a few clients' computers not have it pushed through, and I can't do it remotely because the connection is severed during the process.

Making the patching automatic helps to ensure that everyone always has the latest version, except for the people who inexplicably still have a version from six months ago and can't manually update because the process is automatic.

jothki wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Making the patching automatic helps to ensure that everyone always has the latest version, except for the people who inexplicably still have a version from six months ago and can't manually update because the process is automatic.

My wife's was up to date, so I have no idea what happened. It makes no sense to me that I never saw this update, and it never prompted me. I guess that is what I get for "Ass-U-Me"ing.

Contrary to (what I can only assume is a disguised loading screen) their claim they added stuff to be excited about on first boot I have yet to find anything. Now sharing printers won't work, unless we're in a homegroup and that excludes Win 7 machines it seems. Weeee. Least printer sharing works for the ones on 10...

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I like how when I started my laptop up just now, Windows asked me if it was okay to schedule an update to Windows 10 on Monday. If I had just clicked it away, then Windows 10 would have caught me... the "OKAY" is like five times as large as the "don't schedule" option. Thankfully I read those.

not today, Windows 10. not today!

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    GWX control panel. Download it.

In yet more ways Windows 10 is less than impressive: Googles voice to text? Works pretty good. Windows voice to text? Doesn't work at all or worth crap.

edited April 2016
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    In yet more ways Windows 10 is less than impressive: Googles voice to text? Works pretty good. Windows voice to text? Doesn't work at all or worth crap.

Interesting. I've never found Google voice to text on Google Docs to be worth a shit ever, despite numerous attempts at my office to find a "Sweet spot".

Though Windows voice to text sucking isn't surprising.

Synthesis on
    edited April 2016
    I'm just basing that on their google page and their android implementation. I don't try to dictate a book or anything, but works OK 90% of time. Never tried google docs, but weird it drop the ball there. Windows won't even hear it running the 2 at the same time (or when not). It may be a quirk with my microphone I guess, but still the fact is Win 10 is blowing it.

Xeddicus on
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I'm just basing that on their google page and their android implementation. I don't try to dictate a book or anything, but works OK 90% of time. Never tried google docs, but weird it drop the ball there. Windows won't even hear it running the 2 at the same time (or when not). It may be a quirk with my microphone I guess, but still the fact is Win 10 is blowing it.

It doesn't surprise me, it's hard to do well--in my own limited experience, it sucks on Android phones as well (or at least Samsung ones, since those are the Android phones I'm most familiar with by far).

voice to text, or just speech recogntion is always super subjective. Literally everyone speaks differently, between accent, enunciation, volume, speed, etc. it isn't unreasonable for one group of people to find that google's works better, another finding Siri works better, another saying cortana, another saying [insert your favorite voice service here].

There's also the hardware component of the equation. The Amazon Echo is pretty widely regarded as the best speech recognition device there is today, but it does it via pretty sophisticated always on microphone arrays that aren't practical on most mobile devices and even better than the mic in your expensive gaming headset.

I'm not going to dump on any company for their voice recognition stuff, because while yes, it should be better, it's actually super hard to actually do. I've tried all of them except the echo (since amazon doesn't want to sell it to canada) and they are all hit and miss.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    So is it safe to install important updates even though I have the GWX Control panel? I know not to install stuff like KB3035583, but a couple of new ones came out today.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    I am loving Windows 10. I do have one gripe though - my computer refuses to sleep on its own if Chrome/Steam are running.

Yeah, as long-time mac user, I'm actually enjoying Windows 10 way more than I thought I would. I know it's different than older Windows OSs, but it's stable and slick, and I don't think I could ask for more. As for your problem, my Steam autostarts on boot-up, and it sleeps just fine. I'll see if it happens with Chrome.

Anyhow, I need to get Office for my computer, but I've heard some iffy things about Office 2016. I'd probably like to get an older version, but they all seem to be the same/similar price on Amazon. Which version would you guys recommend, and where can I get it for relatively cheap?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    What have you heard that's iffy about 2016? I use it on a couple machines and honestly, it really isn't that different from 2013 or 2010 even.

The Model Microsoft really wants people to do is Office 365, you pay $10/month and get office and updates for as long as you keep paying (it also includes some other stuff like extra Onedrive storage, etc). Not sure if that's something you're interested in.

What have you heard that's iffy about 2016? I use it on a couple machines and honestly, it really isn't that different from 2013 or 2010 even.

The Model Microsoft really wants people to do is Office 365, you pay $10/month and get office and updates for as long as you keep paying (it also includes some other stuff like extra Onedrive storage, etc). Not sure if that's something you're interested in.

You can also pay$70 for a year if you only need it on one computer.

However, OpenOffice and Libre Office are great and free if you don't specifically need MS Office.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wouldn't say Open or Libre are "great".

Actual Office just blows them out of the water in every aspect but price.

edited April 2016
    Yeah, I wouldn't say Open or Libre are "great".

Actual Office just blows them out of the water in every aspect but price.

This so much. At this point, I'd honestly just use the free version of Office 2016 that Microsoft streams down to you via OneDrive over OpenOffice or a derivative.

Assuming I had the bandwidth anyway. So long as you're not using the crappy DSL in a southern town library, you'd probably be okay.

I snagged a 3-installation license for $20 from the college I was working at.

Synthesis on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    They're fine. Are they are sophisticated as Office? Nope. Are they usable for most people for most use cases? More than enough.

Don't get me wrong, Office 2016 is great, but the only Office application that I'd really miss would be OneNote, and that sucker is free anyway.

I'd say they're usable if all you're doing is using them around the house.

If you're using it for things like school or work, don't get them unless school or work also uses them.

There's a reason why Office is killing Apples productivity apps, is on the best seller list for PC and Mac, is offered with Mac products, and continues to grow even with free alternatives that have had years to try and catch up.

It's good. It's the best of its kind by a large, large margin.

Yeah, I've got a copy of.....2014? via the MS Home Use Program. I try to order newer copies every two years or so, since the price is nearly-free (I think $10 or $15 since I order the CD).

• ZythonZython Registered User regular

Mostly customer reviews of Excel 2016 have said it's really buggy and crashes a lot?

Also, MS can push Office 365 all they like. I'm not going to subscribe to programs that I rarely (if ever) need to update.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython