As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[April Fools'] The Return of the Best Day of the Year

PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
edited April 2016 in Social Entropy++
It's that time of the year, where bullshit flows from every orifice on the internet. Might as well collect it all in one thread.

Looks like Razer put theirs up early.

http://www.razerzone.com/breadwinner

https://youtu.be/0OvR1VpR1r8

persona4celestia.jpg
COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
Sterica on

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    APRIL FO-

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    None of y'all could fool your mothers on the foolingest day of your lives if you had an electrified fooling machine.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I don't work at TG anymore....I'm free! Free of the April Fools madness. FREE! hahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    APRIL FO-

Call in a Code 8!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My least favorite day.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    This was last year's Homestar Runner April Fool's gag. I think it speaks well to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs8cJ2cFZr0

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Yes, anyone who would play a joke for April Fools Day is a hack who doesn't deserve to be on the internet.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Man i still can't muster any grumpiness about a day where people make dumb jokes

Except of course "awesome thing that we won't actually do" because that isn't actually a joke

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dumb jokes and silly fake products? Fun.

Mean spirited pranks? Fuck you.

BLM - ACAB
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not a fan of pranks and there is only so many times I can be fooled into thinking something awesome is going to happen only to find out it was a joke before I'm angry.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm very fond of a well-executed prank, honestly

My biggest problem with April Fool's Day is the laziness

Don't just lie about something, that's something I do every day

Actually commit to the bit and try to fuckin' fool people

The Geek wrote: »
    Dumb jokes and silly fake products? Fun.

Mean spirited pranks? Fuck you.

The best pranks are the ones where everyone has fun and it's not at anyone's expense. If the prankee is upset or frustrated, you've done it wrong. If they're laughing and happy, you did good.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I need to reveal a secret
    I'm actually an octopus
    Ha ha just kidding april fool's!!!!!!!!!!

Moriveth wrote: »
    I need to reveal a secret
    I'm actually an octopus
    Ha ha just kidding april fool's!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck you! I believed you!

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm still hoping "The Ranch" show that's supposed to drop on Netflix that they keep autoplaying a terrible trailer for, is all an elaborate April Fool's joke.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Straightzi wrote: »

At this point even not on April Fools Day, I assume most things on the Internet are fake. If you wanna do an April Fools Day gag, either make it fun enough I'll laugh anyway, or genuinely try to convince me. Even if it doesn't work, I'll respect the effort.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

HEY GUYS AND GIRLS. FIREFLY IS COMING BACK!!

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

At this point even not on April Fools Day, I assume most things on the Internet are fake. If you wanna do an April Fools Day gag, either make it fun enough I'll laugh anyway, or genuinely try to convince me. Even if it doesn't work, I'll respect the effort.

Yeah, exactly

Like, my absolute least favorite thing is like, a married or otherwise long term relationshipped friend of mine posting on Facebook:
    We're having a baby!!! Not! April Fool's!

It's too believable, and, were it true, it would be a good thing, and then they don't even commit to it enough to try to convince a single person that it's true

firefly-pics2.jpg ? Back from where?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Persona 5 is coming out this year!

So is Red Dead Redemption PC!
    :cry:

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO

Yeah, exactly

Like, my absolute least favorite thing is like, a married or otherwise long term relationshipped friend of mine posting on Facebook:
    We're having a baby!!! Not! April Fool's!

It's too believable, and, were it true, it would be a good thing, and then they don't even commit to it enough to try to convince a single person that it's true

What you gotta do for a joke like that is prep. Spend weeks, maybe months, doing birth announcement fake-outs. Cryptic posts like "guess what's for dinner" with a single picture of a jar of Prego spaghetti sauce, or, like, a single bun warming in the oven. Never actually address them or respond to any "are you having a baby?" comments. Then on April 1st, make a post "addressing the rumors" and just pepper it with hints about having a baby, leading to an eventual, "no we're not pregnant and don't have any plans for kids any time soon" at the end. It's the kind of dick thing I'd only recommend if people are pestering you about it on their own after you've been up front about not having kids or something, but if executed right, can be very satisfying.

It's weird I've put this much thought into this, as a single dude.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

My mom used to have a good one, ( and it would work on her friends every year)

She'd just call her friends and mention hearing a story about the phone company blowing out all the lines and that you should put a baggy over your phone to prevent dust.

Without fail when she'd then go visit them later in the day, every single phone had a bag on it.

My mom used to have a good one, ( and it would work on her friends every year)

She'd just call her friends and mention hearing a story about the phone company blowing out all the lines and that you should put a baggy over your phone to prevent dust.

Without fail when she'd then go visit them later in the day, every single phone had a bag on it.

See? This is funny and not mean.

I was thinking it's been made obsolete by the Cell phone era, but then realized, no, it's just even more impressive if you convince someone to bag their phone at that point.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I don't work at TG anymore....I'm free! Free of the April Fools madness. FREE! hahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh snap, for real? Where do you work now? Are you still gonna be at PAX East?

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I'm content with my life and everything is well!

forumsig.png
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    ahhh my date of birth

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I actually kind of liked Redbox's april fool's thing a while back

it was a redbox but for deli meat and cheese

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    April Fools is great!

Haha! April Fools! April Fools is a dumb.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Here's War Thunder's annual April Fools event. This time they're teasing the arrival of ships (hopefully this year)
    https://youtu.be/pBfw3dv9CZQ

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I will say, this is one of my preferred April Fool's gags from recent years oh good heavens it was 5 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZp0w42Zlkk

forumsig.png
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    man, remember when thq still existed?

good times

darleysam wrote: »

I hope the joke here is that there's no joke.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I think my favorite recent-ish AFD joke was the one YouTube did that said it was a long-running video submission contest that was going to shut down and begin the judging phase on April 1.

ASimPerson on
    darleysam wrote: »

I hope the joke here is that there's no joke.

Yeah, I'm doing alright I think. Could be better, could certainly be a lot worse.

forumsig.png
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I'm still hoping "The Ranch" show that's supposed to drop on Netflix that they keep autoplaying a terrible trailer for, is all an elaborate April Fool's joke.

Maybe it is.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo.

Nothing. Matters.
    Aphostile wrote: »

Maybe it is.

See the best would be if instead of actually releasing the Ranch, they had like a new season of Kimmy Schmidt or Bojack ready to launch and were all like " Ok I know we made ridiculous six and Richie Rich, but c'mon now"

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »

Maybe it is.

See the best would be if instead of actually releasing the Ranch, they had like a new season of Kimmy Schmidt or Bojack ready to launch and were all like " Ok I know we made ridiculous six and Richie Rich, but c'mon now"

I don't think you want to know which things have gotten the most views.

Nothing. Matters.
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Oh snap, for real? Where do you work now? Are you still gonna be at PAX East?

For real. I'm at Sideshow Collectibles now. So, nope...I will not be at PAX East this year. Which actually kinda breaks my heart a bit.

Also, I feel I should clarify my above post: I adore...ADORE..the TG April Fools. It was one of my favorite times of year there and I have always been super proud about a lot of what we put out that day. It is also one of the biggest and more grueling things that TG does. There are no less than 15 people right now in a group chat who are checking off boxes, and getting ready to flip the switch. Most will be up until 1 or 2 am. Most have worked 65+ hour weeks for the last two or three.

I know there are a lot of mixed opinions about companies and the internet doing April Fools, but know that in some places it is done for the love of entertaining the audience and nothing more.