As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The French Animation Thread

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Yes, I can finally discuss the french show called Miraculous Ladybug!

It's a 3d animated show taking place in Paris, where the main character, Marinette, must secretly transform into Ladybug to publicly fight the Villain of the Week unleashed by the evil Hawkmoth. Except! She has a partner, a boy superhero named Chat Noir, who's respectfully in love with her, but that she doesn't much care for, whose secret identity is the boy she has a mad crush on. She doesn't know they're the same person, and the boy doesn't know that Marinette and Ladybug are the same person, so you have a love quadrangle between 2 people, which is pretty funny.

Right now, the series only has one season, with 2 more confirmed, and it's being broadcast in French, English and Korean, but the studio had to produce the episodes without knowing the broadcast order, which is why it's Villain of the Week, but I'm hoping season 2 and 3 will be more serial.

The studio, Zagtoon, is the one behind Code Lyoko, another French cartoon.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Ohhh, I've seen some people with avatars from it. I was wondering wha tthat was.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    I bet three pages in people will be talking about the other kind of anime

Just nOt going to happen. it Just wOn't haPpen. A Really severe violaTion oF fOrUm Rules isn'T sOmething we shoulD mAke fun of, Yeah?

Please, HOnestly wE need to NIX these Weird allusions RIGHT now. They Only bring MORe sorROW.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    so hey who wants to talk about how the french new wave impacted the japanese new wave

I've been meaning to watch sogo ishii's le labyrinthe des rêves

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

It's a 3d animated show taking place in Paris, where the main character, Marinette, must secretly transform into Ladybug to publicly fight the Villain of the Week unleashed by the evil Hawkmoth. Except! She has a partner, a boy superhero named Chat Noir, who's respectfully in love with her, but that she doesn't much care for, whose secret identity is the boy she has a mad crush on. She doesn't know they're the same person, and the boy doesn't know that Marinette and Ladybug are the same person, so you have a love quadrangle between 2 people, which is pretty funny.

Right now, the series only has one season, with 2 more confirmed, and it's being broadcast in French, English and Korean, but the studio had to produce the episodes without knowing the broadcast order, which is why it's Villain of the Week, but I'm hoping season 2 and 3 will be more serial.

And now I'm posting the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xChtGwI8_-k

Behold the earworm.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Someone mentioned that triplets of Belleville is the greatest thing ever and I can confirm that as a true fact.

https://youtu.be/NmoWUdzHISM

also someone should post the video of the dog's dream sequence if it's on youtube

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Behold the earworm.

Oh man, that actually looks like a pretty solid kid's show.

And even though I'm getting tired of every single animated movie being 3D, I'm actually happy about the proliferation of good-looking 3D shows. Mostly because a lot of 2D animated shows I've seen look kinda cheap (both Airbender series being some of the exceptions).

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Finally, an excuse to talk about CYBERSIX! (Thanks for reminding me, @cB557 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36vf6uEmTos

Cybersix is a coproduction between French, Canadian, American and Japanese (all the japanese side did was the actual animation drawing, none of the production or design was in japan and it shows) production companies about a brazillian comic book character, Cybersix.

Living in the European city of Meridiana, she's a kind of cyborg vampire in a tight latex outfit, created by a demented nazi scientist, but during the day she masquerades as a nerdy (male) literature teacher at a high school.

it was really good but got cancelled by Fox, the American producers of the show. The French and canadian side didn't have the funds to keep it going, so it died.

:(

It was really good.

There's an english dub, since it aired on Fox Kids in the early 2000s, i believe.

Really worth your time because it's smartly written, with interesting characterizations and relatively deep plots for a kid show.

But, really, it's much better in the original french.

NEXT STOP: My Childhood. i'll talk about Spirou and Fantasio when i get home from work. Probably.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Is Belgian close enough to French? Because I used to get up early every Saturday morning to watch Tintin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb-9TIr31i0

Which is an excellent version of the original comics. I remember being distinctly annoyed when George Bush the elder invaded Iraq because it was all over the news and they stopped showing Tintin for a couple of weeks to show boring grainy night vision video of tanks and MRLS tracks.

It's a shame the film they made a few years ago didn't do that well because I thought they did an excellent job with it.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Is Belgian close enough to French? Because I used to get up early every Saturday morning to watch Tintin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb-9TIr31i0

Which is an excellent version of the original comics. I remember being distinctly annoyed when George Bush the elder invaded Iraq because it was all over the news and they stopped showing Tintin for a couple of weeks to show boring grainy night vision video of tanks and MRLS tracks.

It's a shame the film they made a few years ago didn't do that well because I thought they did an excellent job with it.

Belgian cartoons are also called déssins animés so it should be fair game.

Trust me, i speak French.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The Tintin cartoon was made by the French (and Canadians).

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

I hesitate to point this out because there's a fine line between pointing out gender stereotypes and...engaging in gender stereotyping? But I thought it was cool that chat noir wears a superhero outfit that strikes me as stereotypically feminine. Like if you told someone there's a show with a superhero that wears cat ears and a skin tight catsuit they probably would not think the superhero was male

also chat noir is an awesome name for a superhero
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I saw a French animated movie about a bear and a mouse that was a beautiful little story and I can't remember the name!

It made me feel all warm and fuzzy though
    Ernest and Celestine! It was adorbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyU-mSUOnSs

wandering on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Where do French and Japanese co-produced shows like Ulysses 31 and Mysterious Cities of Gold fit into our brave new thread future?

Because that shit is so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev1aBt-_Zs4

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6nVoNgMaCA

This is a highly illegal show called Robinson Sucroé, which was a shameless rip-off of some guy named Claude Robinson's idea.

Which is a shame, it was a good show. :(

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6nVoNgMaCA

This is a highly illegal show called Robinson Sucroé, which was a shameless rip-off of some guy named Claude Robinson's idea.

Which is a shame, it was a good show. :(

Apparently, the original show was super different, tho.

Like, i saw some concept art. Robinson Curiosité was a straight up educational cartoon about science and such.

probably would've been good. We may never know.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Does David the Gnome count?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    @wandering pls

*single sweat drop*

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    @wandering, are you a mod?

If you're a mod you have to tell us if we ask you.

It's the law.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Je suis le président du club de dessins animés français...

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Where do French and Japanese co-produced shows like Ulysses 31 and Mysterious Cities of Gold fit into our brave new thread future?

Because that shit is so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev1aBt-_Zs4

I used to get up really early on weekends as a kid just to watch that show, it was great

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Hi, I'm just here to post the theme song from Dragon Hunters, which remains one of my favourite pieces of movie music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52GAt_fPX1k

Oh, and the movie is great too.

I might watch that Ladybug show, it sounds fascinating.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I sure liked Code Lyoko back in the day, though I dunno if I fully grasped it as a kid. Perhaps I should revisit it.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGOMnE26jNo

I used to watch this show back when I was 4 or 5, and for nearly two decades I could not remember the name of it or find anybody else who also watched it (hey, remember that show about some kids flying around on a turtle space ship?) until i finally stumbled upon it in a random youtube search

can't remember if it was good or not, but its certainly imaginative and animé

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular

Behold the earworm.

Bless you child. You're doing God's work.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Behold the earworm.

There's A number of people in my 3D art and animation class that are huge fans of the show and it's style.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Aujourd'hui est une journée très intéressante parce qu'elle est la première de la nouvelle JoJo!

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Behold the earworm.

Oh man, that actually looks like a pretty solid kid's show.

And even though I'm getting tired of every single animated movie being 3D, I'm actually happy about the proliferation of good-looking 3D shows. Mostly because a lot of 2D animated shows I've seen look kinda cheap (both Airbender series being some of the exceptions).

It helps that the show has a insane budget

There are movies in theaters that have been made for less

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    The way the characters move in Miraculous Ladybug reminds me a lot of Clone Wars.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    C
    Aujourd'hui est une journée très intéressante parce qu'elle est la première de la nouvelle JoJo!

I'm a big fan of French artists

Specifically Jean-Pierre Polnareff

Fencing counts as an art, right?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    C

I'm a big fan of French artists

Specifically Jean-Pierre Polnareff

Fencing counts as an art, right?

I like to refer to it as "painting with only red"

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    excuse me yes please direct me to where I can see Miraculous Ladybug immediately thank you

e: Amazon and iTunes for their usual exorbitant prices

YaYa on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Hell yeah Cybersix. I'd love a full version of the opening song.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Is this the thread where I talk about all the long-term psychological damage inflicted on me as a child by Babar the Elephant?

Because, if so, boy are you all in for a treat! Ha ha! Haaaaaaaa!

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Over a hundred years ago, a French author by the name of Maurice Leblanc wanted to write Sherlock Holmes stories. However, Sherlock Holmes was under copyright and he couldn't get permission.

So he decided to create his own.

But instead of being the world's greatest detective, he would be the world's greatest thief. He even encounters a Sherlock Holmes knock-off (named Herlock Sholmes) at one point.

Sometime later, a comic creator decided he wanted to write stories about a newly-created grandson of Maurice Leblanc's character, and continued the tradition by doing this without permission.

Not long after that, these comics were adapted into several animated tv series and a bunch of animated films.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

it's just like my japonais bandes dessinees

30798_389075539925_6952231_n.jpg

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    wakfu owns

everybody watch wakfu

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Is it still on Netflix? I watched a couple of episodes but never finished it.

I loved it though.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    also someone should post the video of the dog's dream sequence if it's on youtube

ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5hat8GZi4

aw the audio is desynced

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Hello yes I love this short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xp22IYL2uU

I've always seen it as a nice analogue to dealing with personal anxiety.

Personal anxiety has never been more adorable!

kyrcl.png