As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wherein we discuss: Chuck vs [adjective] [noun]

Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Chuck is an American television science fiction-dramedy created by Josh Schwartz and Chris Fedak. The series is about an "average computer-whiz-next-door" who receives an encoded e-mail from an old friend, a rogue CIA agent, which embeds the world's greatest spy secrets in his brain.

Produced by College Hill Pictures, Wonderland Sound and Vision and Warner Bros. Television, the series premiered on September 24, 2007 on NBC, airing on Monday nights at 8:00/7:00c

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_(TV_series)

So far I really like the series, it doesnt take itself seriously and just has fun with its cast and premise.

steam_sig.png
MWO: Adamski
Gnome-Interruptus on

• Options
    KainnechKainnech Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I call this show, "lets see how often we can show off the blond chick in her underwear".

Fun tib-bit, in the first or second episode when his brain is reviewing all the information he "downloaded" you can hear "...Oceanic flight 815 crash was caused by..." Thought that was a neat nod to Lost.

Kainnech on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This show has a really lame premise.

It's obvious it's written by a bunch of suits in a conference room, with obvious generic plot points.

The in-show ads are blatantly obvious.

But I can't stop watching it. What the fuck is wrong with me.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Apparently I missed the first 2 episodes, which I must now try to find on Canadian iTunes, because apparently the networks hate us for having french channels they cant access or our government sponsored channel that they have to compete with.

EDIT: To clarify, the networks think Canadians are a bunch of pirates, thus disable Canadian IP's and Credit Cards from purchasing their goods online, forcing said Canadians to either pirate or go through a 3rd party.

Not sure how preventing people from legitimately purchasing your product does anything other than encourage piracy.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    NBC.com shows the full episodes on their website. They actually do that for all their primetime shows, though they only shows the episodes of the current season.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ahh, Wikipedia indicated that you had to pay for the service, and that Canadian credit cards were not accepted.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I find myself watching this show as well, it just seems fun to me, and the friend has balls hitting on Chuck's sister all the time, even right in front of Captain Awesome.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This show is pretty good dudes

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This show's on my fantasy team.

Yes. I have a television show fantasy team. It's doing fairly well. (Also on my team are Survivor, Dancing With The Stars and Kitchen Nightmares.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really want to like this show. My wife likes it. The critics seem to like it. Adam Baldwin is in it.

I really don't like it though. I think it's mostly the writing - specifically what are (in my opinion) massive plot holes, wacky tonal shifts, and ridiculous contrivance. I've watched every episode (like I said - my wife likes it), and I always enjoy the setup of the episode, but then it usually breaks down and I get annoyed with the show. I seem to end every week with a bad taste in my mouth.

Can someone please convince me I'm wrong? Like I said, I want to like it.

Currently I see Chuck and Reaper as competing for my "slacker saves the world" viewing time. I'm liking Reaper much better so far.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This show made it into one of my "Will watch for at least the rest of this season" slots when Adam Baldwin's character took out a bad guy with a flying microwave.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The show is cheesy, silly, and contrived, but it's extremely entertaining and makes me laugh more than any other show currently on TV.

Yeah, I'm not ashamed to say I greatly enjoy it.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Xaev wrote: »
    The show is cheesy, silly, and contrived, but it's extremely entertaining.

That's true, but don't blaspheme and say it's funnier than The Office (also, 30 Rock is making a strong bid for the #2 position)

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thursday was a bad TV viewing night for me in the past, so I never got into the Office.

Maybe I'm missing out, but I can live with that.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    No dude seriously.

The Office is one of the best shows in the history of TV

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I do enjoy this show. The female eyecandy doesn't hurt, but Adam Baldwin's a crack up.

devoir on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    I do enjoy this show. The female eyecandy doesn't hurt, but Adam Baldwin's a crack up.

He's pretty much Jayne in a suit. Not that that's a bad thing. Besides, when he threw the microwave me and my brother couldn't stop laughing.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    This show's on my fantasy team.

Yes. I have a television show fantasy team. It's doing fairly well. (Also on my team are Survivor, Dancing With The Stars and Kitchen Nightmares.)
    What the hell is wrong with you

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This high praise of the show made me want to watch it. I'll work on that.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    No dude seriously.

The Office is one of the best shows in the history of TV

I can't get over how good that commercial they made was.

It's probably the best thing Michael has ever accomplished. And it got rejected.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    geckahn wrote: »

It's probably the best thing Michael has ever accomplished. And it got rejected.
    Link plz?

EDIT: Wait, do you mean a commercial for The Office on TV, or a commercial for the paper company they made in one of the episodes?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Richy wrote: »

Link plz?

EDIT: Wait, do you mean a commercial for The Office on TV, or a commercial for the paper company they made in one of the episodes?

The latter. It was in the last episode.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Richy wrote: »

Link plz?

The latter. It was in the last episode.
    Oh I see. Never mind the link then. I'll see it when I get to that episode.

I'm still midway through season 2.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh man, I love this show. I swear with each new episode, I love it more and more. Tonight's ep had a lot of reveals, some of which were so not expected by myself.

If you're not watching Chuck, START!

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I want to like the show, and it does indeed have its funny points, but I'm noticing that every episode is the same damn thing.

Chuck: "Oh shit guys I totally didnt believe you and screwed everything up, again."

nerve on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    nerve wrote: »
    I want to like the show, and it does indeed have its funny points, but I'm noticing that every episode is the same damn thing.

Chuck: "Oh shit guys I totally didnt believe you and screwed everything up, again."

I didn't notice that as much with tonight's episode. When that does happen, though (so like every other episode) it doesn't ruin anything. The show is still fun and neat.

Tonight's episode:
    I am glad Bryce isn't evil. I wonder if he accomplished anything else before dying, and if that one Professor will be making another appearance.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Did you guys notice the parkour/freerunning Bryce did in the first episode?

Also, I was kind of hoping that he wasn't dead dead. =/ I quite like the actor and the character seemed to have a lot of potential as a returning guest.

devoir on
  • Options
    ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Maybe it's just me, but the name Harry Tang seems like something they stuck in there as a placeholder, then left it in longer to see if S&P would catch it. And then when nobody said anything, they left it in there to be funny.

Also, watching Chuck and Bryce's little library dart gun fight tonight, i realized how lucky Chuck is to be in such spectacular shape for a slacker/gamer. I would have already died like twenty times throughout the course of the series, just because i can't run for shit. But man...for a nerd he's pretty fit. Good thing.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Next episode looks like it'll have more Chuck-Sarah sexual tension. Can't wait.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am involved in a forbidden relationship with this show. Don't tell anyone. But god damn if Zachary Levi isn't a cutie. Also I laugh frequently at my math homework while pretending not to watch it.

If the Writer's Strike gets this show canned I will be one sad TV whore.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    nerve wrote: »

I didn't notice that as much with tonight's episode. When that does happen, though (so like every other episode) it doesn't ruin anything. The show is still fun and neat.

Tonight's episode:
    I am glad Bryce isn't evil. I wonder if he accomplished anything else before dying, and if that one Professor will be making another appearance.

I just watched Monday's episode tonight and it was really good, definately not like the other episodes I've seen. I haven't seen every episode, maybe half of them, because I usually watch prison break instead.

nerve on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yep, im definitely in the same boat as a lot of you. So much of this show is so groan-inducing. But yet I can't not watch. And its not even the eye candy that is Yvonne.

Think of it this way, when I'm talking to my non-sci fi friends about this show...its a great hook into Firefly. "y'know, if you like that Adam Baldwin guy, I know this other really cool show he was in..." 8-)

VoodooV on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This show has a really lame premise.

It's obvious it's written by a bunch of suits in a conference room, with obvious generic plot points.

The in-show ads are blatantly obvious.

But I can't stop watching it. What the fuck is wrong with me.

The blonde chick is hot.

But anyway, the writing on the show sucks. It's basically too many chefs or something. They really need to hire writers who can actually write emotion that doesn't amount to "chick in underwear set to slow music", but I guess it's too late for that.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So does Sarah undress every episode and I miss it or do you guys just really love hyperbole?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's not in every episode, but probably about half of them. (I'm including the gold bikini from the Halloween episode)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It looks like she undresses in the next episode.

Man, the writers are trying way too hard to force a romance with these characters. NBC should just call it "forced and unconvincing romance mondays."

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    To be fair though, the situation warrants there to be awkwardness, given the factors of their "relationship".

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I think Chuck and Sarah have pretty good chemistry together.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Like most people have said before, the show is obviously poorly written, but is still somehow addicting. Subliminal messages? Wouldn't that be ironic?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Like most people have said before, the show is obviously poorly written, but is still somehow addicting. Subliminal messages? Wouldn't that be ironic?
    At the very least, most of the characters are likable, but I'm pretty sure that NBC spent a long time looking for the 'perfect' mix of character traits. Chuck reminds me of lots of the nerds/geeks from other shows. It just seems that the character type is shoe-horned into the main role of a show...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    At the very least, most of the characters are likable, but I'm pretty sure that NBC spent a long time looking for the 'perfect' mix of character traits. Chuck reminds me of lots of the nerds/geeks from other shows. It just seems that the character type is shoe-horned into the main role of a show...

Geek playing the unwilling hero who saves the world with latent ability? That's quite a popular role.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png