As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Quick Work

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Quick Work

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Always wondered how they justify Batman vs Superman as actually being a contest in the comic book "lore".

• JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    It's a contest because Superman is a good person, and Batman's not. Superman could win more often than not if he would just take the fight seriously, but usually he's holding back because he doesn't want to hurt anyone.

• NemrexNemrex Registered User regular
    You'll get more entertainment from this strip then two and a half hours of Snyder's wet dream.

• Jagged_on_PAJagged_on_PA Registered User new member
    edited April 2016
    You just entered the Batman vs Superman debate. Do you realise how dangerous that is? Have you never read a comic book forum? :bigfrown:

Jagged_on_PA on
  • mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    Yes! I love the Hulk reference.
    8hcfajxcsaj3.jpeg

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Always wondered how they justify Batman vs Superman as actually being a contest in the comic book "lore".

Kryptonite, son.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    'Course, he's got to be able to actually get the Kryptonite, which would be a speed issue if dealing with a murderous Clark.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    mekman 2 wrote: »
    Yes! I love the Hulk reference.
    8hcfajxcsaj3.jpeg

Did they ever release the rest of that series?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Jortalus wrote: »
    It's a contest because Superman is a good person, and Batman's not. Superman could win more often than not if he would just take the fight seriously, but usually he's holding back because he doesn't want to hurt anyone.

I mean he even says in the trailer, "If I wanted it, you'd already be dead." At full power, Superman could park himself in the stratosphere and heat-vision the entire human population to death. Which is one of the things that makes Batman so nervous.

Superman does think of himself as a good person and Batman exploits that almost every time they fight (catches him post-nuke in TDKR, in Hush he has Catwoman dump Lois off a building so Superman will stop beating up Bruce and save her).

There are interesting things to be said about the two characters and what happens when they are at odds with each other. I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't say whether Snyder is capable of effectively exploring what makes the relationship interesting. Based on Watchmen, I sort of doubt it.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    honestly, i would be 10000x more likely to watch this version than the one that's out

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    This reminds me of the old Virtual Shackles comic about Arkham Asylum.
    f9isk871lna7.jpg
    All comics work only because the villains and heroes have similar power levels. Spiderman's villains aren't anything to The Hulk.

• LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    Did they ever release the rest of that series?

Yes, eventually. I remember people feeling as if it was kind of a letdown for the amount of time they had to wait.

Also, vs. Batman is always a contest, because they've made Batman one of those omnipotent strategists that is like 500 steps ahead. There's that familiar story that gets tossed around a lot about how Batman has a contingency plan to take down every single member of the Justice League in case they turned rogue.

Asylum did manage to address that point, in that Joker had bombs* rigged up all over Gotham, and threatened to set them off if anybody other that the island's current residents, especially caped heroes, tried to enter Arkham's airspace.

that were possibly, at least some of them, bluffs

• identeregareidenteregare Registered User regular
    Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal took one panel to illustrate what was said in three here:
    E8mOtMy.gif

• ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    'Course, he's got to be able to actually get the Kryptonite, which would be a speed issue if dealing with a murderous Clark.

I was under the impression that Batman always carries Kryptonite as insurance. At least that's what he did in the animated Justice League series.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal took one panel to illustrate what was said in three here:
    E8mOtMy.gif

Of course, since it's SMBC, that one panel looks like hot garbage.

• WhelmedWhelmed Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I think the movie still works on the level where you hate Batman, who is a child, and Superman is the adult trying to exercise his maturity. As my friend put it in his personal summation, "To be fair, my personal ideal WOULD be a 3-hour movie about Superman just being chill and awesome and gracefully waiting for Batman to quit acting like a classless dong."

Whelmed on
  • identeregareidenteregare Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    E8mOtMy.gif

Of course, since it's SMBC, that one panel looks like hot garbage.

I read it for the jokes. I'm shallow that way.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    We don't charge per panel.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah but what about Superman Vs. Goku?

Goku would very much like some supper, man.

• DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah but what about Superman Vs. Goku?

NEXT TIME ON SUPERMAN VS. GOKU...

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    What if Batman made his suit out of Kryptonite?

HUH?? WHAT ABOUT THAT??

• AKAthatoneguyAKAthatoneguy Registered User regular
    E8mOtMy.gif

I mean, technically the PA comic did in one panel what was done in one panel in the SMBC comic.

They simply added two additional panels to further the point.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    We don't charge per panel.

Think of the savings!

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    All problems can be solved by throwing them into deep space.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Kryptonite, son.

Kryptonite won't stop heat vision from half a mile away... or from orbit. For that matter it won't stop a buzzsaw thrown like a frisbee at Superman's full strength from the same distance.

The sheer fact is, if Superman got deadly serious, Batman is toast.

Jakk Frost on
  • MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    That's the problem with Superman though. If he got serious, who can't he defeat? There's almost nothing he cannot accomplish, if he gets serious. Every writer has to find some way to weaken him, and making him this overly moral paragon is just kind of... lame.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    MaryAmelia wrote: »
    That's the problem with Superman though. If he got serious, who can't he defeat? There's almost nothing he cannot accomplish, if he gets serious. Every writer has to find some way to weaken him, and making him this overly moral paragon is just kind of... lame.

On the contrary, I think the exploration of what a man who could do almost anything actually should do is part of what makes the Superman character great when it's done well.

• rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular

Magic, divine/infernal powers powers, psychic powers, and while superman is perfectly invulnerable to "normal" physical harm he can't be everywhere at once. And of course Kryptonite

I previously had the same opinion but after reading a lot of the new 52 I find he is generally handled pretty well.

And if you want to see a great take on exploring that very question check out the excellent DC animated movie Superman vs the Elite

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

On the contrary, I think the exploration of what a man who could do almost anything actually should do is part of what makes the Superman character great when it's done well.
    Which it never seems to be in live action cinema form...

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    This is kind of how Injustice went. Supes went full Bane on his back. He also murders a bunch of other dudes.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • newtonsolo313newtonsolo313 Registered User new member
    edited April 2016
    Honestly from what I've seen in the comic book continuity lots of characters beat superman no question. darkseid anti-monitor vandal savage cyborg/composite/prime superman...
    but unfortunately the movie continuity probably doesnt have any people who would beat him often

newtonsolo313 on
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Finish Him! :p

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • ConiuratosConiuratos Registered User new member
    Superman threw him so hard, the bat logo changed.

• ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or does that second panel remind anyone else of Bananaman?

BananaMan_Introduction_Shot.JPG

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Ravelle wrote: »
    This is kind of how Injustice went. Supes went full Bane on his back. He also murders a bunch of other dudes.

Also to make the game work they come up with a formula that makes all the other guys near equivalent in power to superman. Then they give joker a shot of it.

Um...

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited April 2016
    Honestly from what I've seen in the comic book continuity lots of characters beat superman no question. darkseid anti-monitor vandal savage cyborg/composite/prime superman...
    but unfortunately the movie continuity probably doesnt have any people who would beat him often

Batman: Quick, assemble the team, we can't win this!
    Diana: Bruce, we can't, they haven't been introduced yet nor have they their own movie yet!

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
    edited April 2016
    Kagera wrote: »
    Ravelle wrote: »

Also to make the game work they come up with a formula that makes all the other guys near equivalent in power to superman. Then they give joker a shot of it.

Um...

I was talking about the Injustice comic, the game's story is a mess! Joker isn't even fighting anyone because Superman punches a hole in to his stomach in the very beginning. ;P I started the game after reading the first tradepaperback hoping it would be similar but the game has everyone fighting without giving an explanation. Superman pretty much destroys everyone that isn't on his level in the books.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • leosapiensleosapiens Registered User new member
    Superman would never do that, he's a good boy and his mom won't approve of such shenanigans.