As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Division] Manhattan needs us Agents. Execute Directive 51 (Out Now)

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Hmmm, then someone spent resources recalibrating their gear for the straight +skill power in lieu of an armor bonus or some other stat.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Dz went nuts tonight. Group of rogues I could only hope to touch with explosive bullets. Just got our penises pinched over and over.

I loved it. Actually got two of 'em down during the Manhunt. But there wasn't much we could do against those guys. Still..... trying was fun.

Got all of the remaining intel early on in the night and cleared my map. Happy about that.

The final PvE zone (the one to the top-right) has so much superb level design in the open world that I could hardly believe it. Platforms connecting buildings, forts, a TON of verticality, more interesting subterranean layouts... if you guys want to see some of the endgame potential that got me hyped up tonight, seek out the intel in that final zone.

Didn't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. The few kills we got made up for any deaths for sure. I've spent hours rushing into 1v4s. Though in this case in pretty sure at the very lest they were using the mask heal exploit to mitigate damage at s crazy rate

But next time that happens I'll just swap to electronics gear and exolodey ball and sticky them.

Just so used to rogues running away I didn't take time to regroup after the first wipe.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Hmmm, then someone spent resources recalibrating their gear for the straight +skill power in lieu of an armor bonus or some other stat.

It's very possible to get close to 30k+ skillpower without having any electronics whatsoever (aside from 3 stat holster). Backpack and Mask can get you 10k skillpower alone with the major stats. You have 6-7 mod slots left (7 if you get extremely lucky and get a 3 slot chest rather than just a 2 slot), of which, each can get 1500 skillpower ~=9k skillpower.

One thing to keep in mind though with people showing the same DPS, but with 30-45k skillpower is that those aren't real world numbers. Those are talents and accuracy mods artificially boosting DPS numbers.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Ugh... I logged out in the DZ Checkpoint instead of leaving the DZ entirely last night and it warped me into the DZ when I logged in. And there's rogues.

Why game, why?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    Yeah my vector (which I need to reroll still) has 8800 damage per bullet, so my DPS is only 98k. However when I am less than 10m from target and the target is an elite/named I get +13% +13% damage to make each bullet be 11k+ which puts my DPS over 120k.

I am around 2400/2500/1500 for stats.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    SchlagholzerSchlagholzer Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Does anyone else tape down the walk forward trigger and make a sandwich while you crawl through the foyer on the way to the main base?

Schlagholzer on
    PSN ID : Schlagholzer
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yup, ever since the beta: Logging out in a checkpoint will get placed in a saferoom inside the DZ when you log back in.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I think once you hit level 30 all mobs in the PVE area should be bumped up to purple level or at the very least level 30 across the board.

i think once you hit level 30 mobs in the lower level areas should cower in your wake and just turn tail.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Does anyone else tape down the walk forward trigger and make a sandwich while you crawl through the foyer on the way to the main base?

I roll through it. Seems faster.

• Options

There is an autorun button in this game. X on PC.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I am having such a hard time being satisfied with any stats. I have 3400 firepower and I do not really do much more damage than being at 2000 so I guess there is a pretty hard cap there. Regardless of whether I am at 40k health or 60k health I die incredibly fast to everything which is also very frustrating.

Not sure what to do anymore, crafting is too random to be enjoyable, especially with all the farming that is required.

I miss the days of named enemies dropping items with specific stats. I want that back, so tired of rng.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    I am having such a hard time being satisfied with any stats. I have 3400 firepower and I do not really do much more damage than being at 2000 so I guess there is a pretty hard cap there. Regardless of whether I am at 40k health or 60k health I die incredibly fast to everything which is also very frustrating.

Not sure what to do anymore, crafting is too random to be enjoyable, especially with all the farming that is required.

I miss the days of named enemies dropping items with specific stats. I want that back, so tired of rng.

But then how would you be able to pad your player's playtime experience?

• Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    Falves wrote: »
    I truly feel sorry for you guys, maybe it's the european servers, or maybe I'm just lucky, but I leveled all the way to 50, half of it on my own, and I've been killed by rogues 3 times I think.
    All these stories of bands of rogues locking down streets sound really frightening.

'Murica. The DZ is like a metaphor for our entire...you know what? Fuck it. Too easy.

• Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular

Too much random is almost always the reason I quit a game. =\

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Erevar wrote: »

Too much random is almost always the reason I quit a game. =\

Long term it's a bitch to balance around as well. There can be a huge difference between players in the same level and tier gear currently. I don't care about being maximumly optimized right now since I don't even have full HE yet but incursions could make these disparities a big pain.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I dunno Random gives me a reason to keep playing, keep hoping for that cool yellow drop with perfect stats.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I like an element of randomness, but for example, I want a high-end RPK, but right now I am limited to playing on Consulate, because we know the boss will drop LMGs, ARS, weapon sights or Performance mods. So apart from having to pick from those 4 categories, the RNG has to pick one from every single item in those categories.

I would have preferred to know that I will either get an M60 or an RPK, instead of the whole spectrum.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Yeah, Had a full HE guy run in front of my bullets and then mow down me and my entire team.

This form is just not fun. I'll give the patch a chance, but I'm worried that I'm pretty much done with this game.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I just wish there wasn't a massive grind between the blueprints worth crafting at level 30. Being able to meaningfully build things (even if I was eating random there) doesn't bother me so much.

The material collection being a trickle combined with that is what's a drag to me.

Is there a confirmed list of what drops where from bosses?

edit: speaking of random, I've been trashing backpacks until I got one with firearms because they weren't firearms and I forgot that you can reroll to try and make them firearms.

Good bandaid until "making and using a HE backpack locks you out of your account" gets fixed.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    I'm a terrible person.

This dude on my friends list has been trying to get the Cadeceus rifle drop for 6 days even though I told him it wasn't super great he insisted. I got it the first time on one drop chance and he was a little annoyed by it.

Then I got another.

Followed by scrapping it in front of him.

He should have put more into scavenge.

Scavenging means fuck all from my experience.

My friend has gotten 4 Caduceus'ses, he has a scavenging skill of less than 100.

I have gotten 0 Caduceus'ses, I have a scavenging skill of 173.

He got all the drops while we were grouped up too.
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Whenever I pick up a Marksman Rifle.

Does it have Balanced? If yes, try it out, if no, deconstruct immediately.

You don't need balanced on M44s or SRSs, only M1As and MK20s

I only use high RoF DMR's so thats still the go to method.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Yeah, Had a full HE guy run in front of my bullets and then mow down me and my entire team.

This form is just not fun. I'll give the patch a chance, but I'm worried that I'm pretty much done with this game.

I really think they need to tighten the rubber banding with PvP in the Dark Zone. The RPG mechanics are just fighting too hard against the cover shooter mechanics. You really should never be able to level up enough that a couple headshots from ANY player won't make you run for cover.

It's too bad they are going so heavily down the Destiny path. I think they'd be better off taking cues from the Battlefield/Call of Duty series, where skills and leveling path out via branching out and specializing not turning endgame players into a bunch of unbeatable Final Bosses.

If nothing else, they really need a bunch of abilities that ease hiding and evasion. Even if they aren't going to let you go toe to toe with someone sporting endgame gear, they should give players skills that let them survive if not win encounters with geared-up teams.

• Options
    I doubt they'll do anything because it's not really designed for PVP, it's designed for PK...

I hope they do because long-term I don't think it'll last and the PVE legs of the game are worse than Destiny's, which had a relatively balanced PVP environment and variety in areas to sustain it and at least keep the repetition of PVE content varied visually and such.

Even for all the PK you could do in GTA:O, there was an abundance of activities and emergent gameplay options to sustain it.

In The Division you can either farm mobs... or farm players.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I like an element of randomness, but for example, I want a high-end RPK, but right now I am limited to playing on Consulate, because we know the boss will drop LMGs, ARS, weapon sights or Performance mods. So apart from having to pick from those 4 categories, the RNG has to pick one from every single item in those categories.

I would have preferred to know that I will either get an M60 or an RPK, instead of the whole spectrum.

But the problem is, even if you get that HE RPK you wanted, there's so much RNG that it could make it worthless. You could get the classic RPK, which suffers like the Pakhan from the lack of a grip. Then there's the RNG on talents that could make it absolute crap. When we were farming Tunnel, I got 3 HE SMGs and 3 HE shotguns. The shotguns were all crap (oh, really a double barrel shotgun with the talent that adds %damage when past 40M, thanks RNGesus). At the consulate, I got 2 HE LMGs and 2 HE ARs, all crap.

In fact, I got what I thought might have been what I was always waiting to find, a HE item level 31 AUG. It has self-preserved, and Fierce (which I can't use, since it's the second talent, and not active). Without Brutal or Deadly it falls behind my Vector by so much, that I think I might only use it for DZ01-02 farming where the self-preserved will let me roll the mobs a little safer. Otherwise, it's a downgrade for real PVE.

The lesson at the end of the day is that RNG makes HE drops so much of a gamble that even with the obscenely artificially inflated farm rate of Hornet/Finch, that I still didn't get anything worthwhile. What this says is that the drop rate of HEs is waaaaaaaaaaay too low. They need to make it more like Diablo where you're getting a reasonable amount of high end drops, because most of it isn't going to be useable anyway.

Edit: Think of it this way, how many HE performance mods did you deconstruct? Now instead of getting one of those every 10 minutes from an exploit, you only get that HE drop chance every 3-4 hours? (Extrapolating from the number of final boss kills that was going on to now having to run the whole mission every time)

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    If they plan on keeping the current resource mechanics and drop rates, being able to recalibrate talents on weapons would be nice.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

I really think they need to tighten the rubber banding with PvP in the Dark Zone. The RPG mechanics are just fighting too hard against the cover shooter mechanics. You really should never be able to level up enough that a couple headshots from ANY player won't make you run for cover.

It's too bad they are going so heavily down the Destiny path. I think they'd be better off taking cues from the Battlefield/Call of Duty series, where skills and leveling path out via branching out and specializing not turning endgame players into a bunch of unbeatable Final Bosses.

If nothing else, they really need a bunch of abilities that ease hiding and evasion. Even if they aren't going to let you go toe to toe with someone sporting endgame gear, they should give players skills that let them survive if not win encounters with geared-up teams.

I wouldn't even say they are going down the "Destiny" path. As Destiny, mechanics wise is like 90% shooter, 10% rpg. The Division is very clearly (outside of having to aim) 90% rpg, 10% shooter, in regards to how stats/mechanics etc work. I think maybe you are just wanting a different type of game than it is? For instance if it was anything at all like Call of Duty or Battlefield I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. I haven't played a CoD game since original Playstation and it was very purposefully done. While I am well aware of how much it sucks to get smoked by someone who has severely outgeared you, it is the same feeling that exists in mmo's on pvp servers etc. And while I know everyone absolutely hates to call Destiny or the Division an mmo, it really is just splitting hairs as the reward / marks / badges and group experiences mimic that style of game the closest.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    If they plan on keeping the current resource mechanics and drop rates, being able to recalibrate talents on weapons would be nice.

I imagine that will come, since weapons are the one thing where you can't reroll.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »

But the problem is, even if you get that HE RPK you wanted, there's so much RNG that it could make it worthless. You could get the classic RPK, which suffers like the Pakhan from the lack of a grip. Then there's the RNG on talents that could make it absolute crap. When we were farming Tunnel, I got 3 HE SMGs and 3 HE shotguns. The shotguns were all crap (oh, really a double barrel shotgun with the talent that adds %damage when past 40M, thanks RNGesus). At the consulate, I got 2 HE LMGs and 2 HE ARs, all crap.

In fact, I got what I thought might have been what I was always waiting to find, a HE item level 31 AUG. It has self-preserved, and Fierce (which I can't use, since it's the second talent, and not active). Without Brutal or Deadly it falls behind my Vector by so much, that I think I might only use it for DZ01-02 farming where the self-preserved will let me roll the mobs a little safer. Otherwise, it's a downgrade for real PVE.

The lesson at the end of the day is that RNG makes HE drops so much of a gamble that even with the obscenely artificially inflated farm rate of Hornet/Finch, that I still didn't get anything worthwhile. What this says is that the drop rate of HEs is waaaaaaaaaaay too low. They need to make it more like Diablo where you're getting a reasonable amount of high end drops, because most of it isn't going to be useable anyway.

Edit: Think of it this way, how many HE performance mods did you deconstruct? Now instead of getting one of those every 10 minutes from an exploit, you only get that HE drop chance every 3-4 hours? (Extrapolating from the number of final boss kills that was going on to now having to run the whole mission every time)

I think we agree, because I was saying that the RNG part has to choose from such a wide pool, and then on top of that, you add the whole stats business, it's just ridiculous to even try to get good gear from what makes the game fun, which is killing mooks.

Crafting isn't fun, running around the DZ trying to find DivTech chests isn't fun. But here we are, the only efficient way to get good gear is also the most unfun.

I'm glad we got to do those farming runs.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Well, I rolled with a group cheesing consulate. I'm a terrible person. I got a HE marksman rifle though.

With the number of kills I needed to get it I have to wonder why they don't just increase HE drop chances on the bosses....

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    Well, I rolled with a group cheesing consulate. I'm a terrible person. I got a HE marksman rifle though.

With the number of kills I needed to get it I have to wonder why they don't just increase HE drop chances on the bosses....

So... the April 1st maintenance notes were a joke? I thought they fixed it so you couldn't do that anymore?

• Options
    squall99x wrote: »

I wouldn't even say they are going down the "Destiny" path. As Destiny, mechanics wise is like 90% shooter, 10% rpg. The Division is very clearly (outside of having to aim) 90% rpg, 10% shooter, in regards to how stats/mechanics etc work. I think maybe you are just wanting a different type of game than it is? For instance if it was anything at all like Call of Duty or Battlefield I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. I haven't played a CoD game since original Playstation and it was very purposefully done. While I am well aware of how much it sucks to get smoked by someone who has severely outgeared you, it is the same feeling that exists in mmo's on pvp servers etc. And while I know everyone absolutely hates to call Destiny or the Division an mmo, it really is just splitting hairs as the reward / marks / badges and group experiences mimic that style of game the closest.

I actually like the RPGness of the game. I think that the extra time you get to move, make decisions and improve your tactical situation really improves the game. You aren't relying on twitch-based mechanics, so it's not a case of "Enter map. Die from headshot. Respawn" like traditional shooters can become.

But the thing I miss is that feeling from pre-30 dark zone where it was a fairly balanced experience. A player could get sneaky and go rogue on you from behind, but you could also react and return fire. With enough luck, you could win as often as you lost.

But that feeling drops away when you have Terminators walking around shrugging off bullets, walking up point blank to a group of players and unloading SMGs into them one by one. They've lost something special, and what's they've come up with instead just isn't as compelling.

I don't want a PvP game. But I also don't want a game where the PvP action is so unbalanced that I can either grind to become a god (boring) or get used to dealing with unkillable bullet sponge griefers (frustrating). What I want is to keep playing the experience I had in levels 1-29, which was one of the best I've had in gaming.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    We farmed for an hour before the server reset. Literally the 11th hour. Got 2 HE sights/ 1 clip

• Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »

I think we agree, because I was saying that the RNG part has to choose from such a wide pool, and then on top of that, you add the whole stats business, it's just ridiculous to even try to get good gear from what makes the game fun, which is killing mooks.

Crafting isn't fun, running around the DZ trying to find DivTech chests isn't fun. But here we are, the only efficient way to get good gear is also the most unfun.

I'm glad we got to do those farming runs.

I think that's my biggest issue with the direction the game is heading. I feel like they are going down rote MMO paths blazed by Destiny and other games, when I'd rather find new directions that leverage the tremendously fun core experience of the game - cover combat against tactically interesting mixes of enemies.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Numi wrote: »
    Ugh they better do something about explosive ammo in pvp, the damage it does is just stupid and this is on top of the already insanely low ttk.

I disagree strongly. Unless you catch someone totally unawares, there are so many heals and damage mitigating tools in the game that it's damn near impossible to kill anybody without being right in their face with your SMG ready. I have 180k DPS and it's ridiculously difficult to kill even modestly geared players who move around to any extent.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Hm, looks like they fixed Finch farming.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Hm, looks like they fixed Finch farming.

Yes it was directly in the patch notes Hacksaw. I know you're in pierce county and all but I'd figure you could still read!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Ugh they better do something about explosive ammo in pvp, the damage it does is just stupid and this is on top of the already insanely low ttk.

I disagree strongly. Unless you catch someone totally unawares, there are so many heals and damage mitigating tools in the game that it's damn near impossible to kill anybody without being right in their face with your SMG ready. I have 180k DPS and it's ridiculously difficult to kill even modestly geared players who move around to any extent.
    Yeah. Marksman Rifle headshot opener with explosive ammo is one of the only ways to fight an equally skilled larger group of players and win because otherwise you can't time out their Security Links while staying alive yourself. If you can drop one of them off the bat, it's winnable.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I finished the campaign finally.

That sure was an ending. :|

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    For the record: Anyone invoking Destiny as an example of how you can outgear PvP has to be thinking of Iron Banana, which is basically the -only- game mode that doesn't normalize combat power between players, and that only pops up once a monthish (if I recall properly). And even then, it's max-level only, and I believe it has a Light requirement such that the max difference is 4 effective levels - which is difficult but not impossible to overcome. (I could be wrong about that last part, though.)

Otherwise, Destiny PvP follows a more CoD-esque focus - levelling expands your options for weapons, subclasses, and skills, doesn't make you unkillable or anything via statistics.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I finished the campaign finally.

That sure was an ending. :|

It had an ending?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

It's not just about DPS. It's about having High everything, so they have better dps than me, (probably as much as yours) In less than a minute (how do I know? because they killed us before the extraction timer was up) He killed 3 of us. Granted we weren't ready for it, and that's probably something, but even with a heal, a health pack, and the damage prevention super, He killed all three of us. I was kind of freaked and probably wasn't going for headshots but yeah, he crushed us.

This discussion has been closed.