As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sledding in Southern California?

OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I live in San Diego, and I'd like to do some snow stuff with my landlord's family, but I'm not sure if they're up for skiing. I would probably only be able to take one week off, maybe two, and I'm afraid that they'd just be stuck on the bunny slope and falling down for a week (especially the younger daughter, who's eight) before it's time to go home. I was thinking that sledding would be fun, at least for the 8 year old, but I don't really know where you can go sledding around here.

I grew up in New Hampshire, and during the winter I'd just go find any old hill and have at it. But the only snowy hills around here that I know of are for skiing, and I don't think that you're allowed to just bring a toboggan onto the slopes. I could be wrong, though -- I'm basing this on the fact that I never saw anyone go sledding on the ski slopes in New Hampshire, but there wasn't really any reason you'd have to what with free snow falling out of the sky. Maybe people are allowed to go sledding on the bunny slopes around here. I've never gone skiing out here, so I don't know anything about it.

Tl;dr: What's the easiest way for kids to go sledding from San Diego?

Orogogus on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Is Lake Tahoe too far? Most of the major Tahoe resorts do snowtubing.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    QuelrethQuelreth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Lake Tahoe is damn far from San Diego.

I can't give you much advice besides to say when I was living near Pomona, a couple friends and I went sledding in Big Bear. I think that was the closest place, but it was still a 2+ hour drive for us (Meaning more like 4+ for you).

Quelreth on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Tahoe's too far, I think. The kids probably aren't ready for a 10 hour drive, and if we take a plane then Tahoe wouldn't be my first choice.

Big Bear might be okay, though. Where can you go sledding around there?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Big Bear has places. There is a sledding place about 10-20 minutes drive from Snow Summit further along the highway there IIRC. I'm not sure what it's called; I drove by it once. There might be others that are open depending on how much snow they get.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hm. So let's say I want to do Big Bear with 2 kids + their parent.

- What month would be optimal?
    - Where should we stay? Just a hotel, or would it be better to rent a cabin or lodge or something? About how much would it cost for 1 or 2 weeks?
    - What is there to do in town besides sledding or skiing?

Any other advice comments would be welcome, too. Thanks.

Orogogus on