As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The French Animation Thread

1235»

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Brother

Totally spies really existed, right

It wasn't just a weird hallucination I had, right

Because I just have the weirdest sense that none of this is real and I'm actually experiencing a massive hallucination as I die of an aneurysm

It would make more sense than totally spies being real, I think

If the last thing I think about before I die is Totally Spies I am going to be kind of miffed about how things turned out

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I am certain that the last thing I think about will be dumb

I don't know what it will be

But I am certain that it will be stupid

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons that is Totally Spies.

I really want to post this on Facebook because I'm having a giggle fit right now but I'm certain no one will get it.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    It's probably going to be Pokemon for me

BugBoy used Calm Mind!

It's super-effective.

BugBoy blacked out...
    BugBoy paid ¥3500 to the winner

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The only Canadian cartoons I can think of weren't french-canadian, as far as I know (Like The Raccoons.

http://www.whmpodcast.com/2016/03/animation-damnation-26-raccoons.html
    Holy hell, Totally Spies aired until 2014?

I stopped watching it when I was in grade school, and I assumed it died a quiet death not long afterward

That is, in all honesty, one of the weirder things I've learned recently
    TS has a weird tendency to go years between getting new seasons but without ever quite dying

edit:
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    The weirdest thing about the show is that it seemed like the writers for at least the first season wanted to appeal to the DeviantArt fetishist crowd: Clover became super muscular in one episode, got really fat in another, and even turned into a furry. That HAD to be intentional.
    thing is, what we tend to think of as "internet fetishes" are also just bog standard cartoon plots

TS was just the first time people really took notice of it

Maybe...the fact that the character designs were more realistic looking than most Western cartoons might have had something to do with it.

I still like to imagine the writer's room had a dry erase board with the following jotted down:

Totally Spies Episode Ideas
    - Amazons
    - Furry
    - BBW
    - something not fetishy
    - I mean Jesus Christ guys

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    The only Canadian cartoons I can think of weren't french-canadian, as far as I know (Like The Raccoons.

http://www.whmpodcast.com/2016/03/animation-damnation-26-raccoons.html
    Holy hell, Totally Spies aired until 2014?

I stopped watching it when I was in grade school, and I assumed it died a quiet death not long afterward

That is, in all honesty, one of the weirder things I've learned recently
    TS has a weird tendency to go years between getting new seasons but without ever quite dying

edit:
    The weirdest thing about the show is that it seemed like the writers for at least the first season wanted to appeal to the DeviantArt fetishist crowd: Clover became super muscular in one episode, got really fat in another, and even turned into a furry. That HAD to be intentional.
    thing is, what we tend to think of as "internet fetishes" are also just bog standard cartoon plots

TS was just the first time people really took notice of it

Maybe...the fact that the character designs were more realistic looking than most Western cartoons might have had something to do with it.

I still like to imagine the writer's room had a dry erase board with the following jotted down:

Totally Spies Episode Ideas
    - Amazons
    - Furry
    - BBW
    - something not fetishy
    - I mean Jesus Christ guys
    "Something not fetishy" is crossed out, like 5 or 6 times on that board though.

• Options
    BugBoy wrote: »

BugBoy used Calm Mind!

It's super-effective.

BugBoy blacked out...

Good lord this made me sad

Please don't ever die

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

BugBoy used Calm Mind!

It's super-effective.

BugBoy blacked out...

Please don't ever die
    Where's the 'aww' button

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I swear it's been at least a year where I've only seen BFL post around here

I thought you guys had finally completed your fusion dance

Somestickguy on
  • Options

BugBoy used Calm Mind!

It's super-effective.

BugBoy blacked out...

Please don't ever die

I thought it might be too sad so that's why I had the joke spoiler at the end

Sorry bro
    I swear it's been at least a year where I've only seen BFL post around here

I thought you guys had finally completed your fusion dance

I guess I've been kinda quiet, yeah

I'm always watching though

Just like a fly or other insect of your choice on the wall

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Mentioning the fusion dance reminded me

Gosh guys, remember Shankusu

• Options
    BugBoy has been busy chasing one very evasive wasp

He's almost got it!

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think A Town Called Panic counts as an animated film, and I loved that. I should rewatch it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I watched a bunch of Ladybug and that show is real cute you guys and that theme song is a real earworm. (Also these early episodes are basically Sailor Moon But In France, which seems like a thing that should have been mentioned.)

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Well this thread has inspired me to check out an episode of Ladybug, an episode of Code Lyoko, AND several episodes of Wakfu. Woo. They were all fun!

I can see why Wakfu has such a following - it's got a lot of charm. Also the main character can make portals like the ones in the Portal games and he uses them in combat and this is awesome

One episode rubbed me the wrong way tho - "The Ugly Pageant". I mean someone stop me if I'm being too handwringy over here but the episode struck me as misogynistic and queerphobic and gross. In the episode the gang encounter a cadre of "ugly" princesses and every member of the gang responds to their "ugliness" with shock and revulsion. One princess is covered in boils, one has a beard, and one is hairy and muscular. Later the old man character disguises himself as an "ugly" princess by putting on makeup and a dress and again everyone is repulsed.

Anyway I really could've done without that episode but I think I'm gonna try sticking with the series regardless.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Did anyone here watch Martin Mystery? I think it was by the same animation studio as Totally Spies.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Did anyone here watch Martin Mystery? I think it was by the same animation studio as Totally Spies.

I did, i mentioned it earlier.

i liked Marathon for Totally Spies and martin Mystery, but the space Rangers academy show (Team Galaxy?) was a complete dud for me.

ALSO! Apparently they were behind "Kassai and Leuk" which I knew as "Samba et Leuk". That show was also pretty cool, i had forgotten about it.

Man, i wanna make several effortposts, but i am too lazy.