As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My Nintendo is your Nintendo

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
edited May 2016 in Games and Technology
pgx5pwyhj43x.png
Club Nintendo is dead, long live My Nintendo!

What is My Nintendo?
My Nintendo is the reborn/rebooted Club Nintendo program, that rewards users for interacting with Nintendo's services and purchasing games with neat things, digital items, and discounts.

How does it work?
The new My Nintendo program uses "missions" to let you know how you can earn coins. There are three types of coins: Miitomo Platinum, Platinum, and Gold. Miitomo Platinum and Platinum are both counted towards rewards that can be purchased with platinum coins, however Miitomo Platinum coins can only be earned by interacting with Nintendo's new Miitomo app. See the Miitomo thread for more information.
Once coins are earned, you can use them to redeem rewards of varying types. COINS EXPIRE AFTER SIX MONTHS! This is a big change from Club Nintendo. Coins don't last for years. Only 6 months.
6slil97qv98t.png

What missions do I need to do?
There are Miitomo specific missions:
l79uth0nvgaz.png
Platinum missions:
In addition to the following missions, there are three "hidden" missions that will net you additional coins:
1: Sign into www.nintendo.com (weekly) for 30 platinum coins
2: Sign into my.nintendo.com (weekly) for 30 platinum coins
3: Find the hidden platinum coins. The first week this was in the brick block at the bottom right of the page. The second week it was laying by the coin boxes.
1g3rm41lp8lq.png
Gold missions:
tkhhzgqoww04.png

So what rewards are available?
There are a wide variety of rewards, ranging from Miitomo specific game tickets or outfits, to digital downloads for games, and discounts for digital download games. Gold coins can earn larger discounts.

439hork1ko6v.png
n2e5h4s0arwb.png
wdyf3webhyol.png
b9tovhb0lkzo.png
New "rewards" are up:

15% off the following games (Platinum Coins):

Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon -3DS
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Wii U
Pikmin 3 - Wii U
Dr. Luigi - Wii U
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move - 3DS

30% off the following games (Gold Coins):

Tri Force Heroes - 3DS
Tomodachi Life - 3DS
The Wonderful 101 - Wii U
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U
Metroid Prime Trilogy - Wii U

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    woo also didn't notice the points card in that e-mail!

edit - how in the world did you hit 1000 platinum points? I seem to have hit 700 and don't see any other ways to get another 300 points!
    Collected via point code
    + 200
    Completed: Get 5 hearts on your answers in one day (daily)
    + 10
    Completed: Answer the featured question
    + 25
    Completed: Sign in to Miiverse (weekly)
    + 30
    Completed: Sign in to Nintendo eShop (weekly)
    + 30
    Completed: Link your Google+ account to your Nintendo Account
    + 10
    Completed: Get 5 comments on your answers in one day (daily)
    + 10
    Completed: Sign in to your Nintendo Account on the official Nintendo website (weekly)
    + 30
    Completed: Change your Mii's clothes once in a day (daily)
    + 5
    Completed: Discover a secret mission
    + 10
    Completed: Link your Twitter account to your Nintendo Account
    + 10
    Completed: Link your Facebook account to your Nintendo Account
    + 10
    Completed: Collect the My Nintendo sign-in bonus (weekly)
    + 30
    Completed: Listen to your friends' answers 10 times in one day (daily)
    + 5
    Completed: Give 3 answers in one day (daily)
    + 5
    Completed: Link Miitomo to a Twitter account
    + 100
    Completed: Link Miitomo to a Facebook account
    + 100
    Completed: Link Miitomo to a Nintendo Account
    + 100
    Completed: Link your Nintendo Network ID to your Nintendo Account
    + 100
    Redeemed for: Point Box
    − 50
    Completed: Start using My Nintendo
    + 100
    Preregister for Miitomo
    + 200

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

edit - how in the world did you hit 1000 platinum points? I seem to have hit 700 and don't see any other ways to get another 300 points!
    Collected via point code
    + 200
    + 10
    + 25
    + 30
    + 30
    + 10
    + 10
    Completed: Sign in to your Nintendo Account on the official Nintendo website (weekly)
    + 30
    + 5
    + 10
    + 10
    + 10
    + 30
    + 5
    + 5
    + 100
    + 100
    + 100
    + 100
    − 50
    + 100
    Preregister for Miitomo
    + 200

Yeah, I'd have over 1,000 if I hadn't bought a Mario suit for 250.

How is the Zelda picross? Good?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Collected via point code
    + 200
    + 10
    + 25
    + 30
    + 30
    + 10
    + 10
    + 30
    + 5
    + 10
    + 10
    + 10
    + 30
    + 5
    + 5
    + 100
    + 100
    + 100
    + 100
    − 50
    + 100
    Preregister for Miitomo
    + 200

Yeah, I'd have over 1,000 if I hadn't bought a Mario suit for 250.

How is the Zelda picross? Good?

Haven't had a chance to play yet but GameXplain did a video playing through it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmZxAXRBeik

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'm 125 points away from Twilight Princess Picross! Gotta force someone to add someone in Miitomo with the face-to-face method, then I should be able to get it in a couple of days.

If that free points via e-mail code was a thing in Europe I'd have gotten there already..

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Maz- wrote: »
    I'm 125 points away from Twilight Princess Picross! Gotta force someone to add someone in Miitomo with the face-to-face method, then I should be able to get it in a couple of days.

If that free points via e-mail code was a thing in Europe I'd have gotten there already..

Ah that sucks. That e-mail was what pushed me over.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    And I can't use it in brasil! Yay!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    100 coins away.

Grr.

I don't even like Picross that much it's just the principle of the thing

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    It's pretty good although the controls are just different enough from Pokemon Picross to be massively annoying at first. Like PP, the left thumbstick is used as a switch between filling out squares and x-ing out unused squares, except in PP it's a hold the thumbstick in that position and here it acts as a actual switch. So I keep holding the thumbstick up and swearing because it doesnt work like I expect it to. Probably will get used to it though.

The tutorial is also really frustrating if you already know how to play. You can't 'skip ahead' and solve the puzzles, you have to follow the tutorial's exact steps

It's pretty good although the controls are just different enough from Pokemon Picross to be massively annoying at first. Like PP, the left thumbstick is used as a switch between filling out squares and x-ing out unused squares, except in PP it's a hold the thumbstick in that position and here it acts as a actual switch. So I keep holding the thumbstick up and swearing because it doesnt work like I expect it to. Probably will get used to it though.

The tutorial is also really frustrating if you already know how to play. You can't 'skip ahead' and solve the puzzles, you have to follow the tutorial's exact steps

UGH

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

The only way to have more than 700 right now is via Miitomo. For the rest of us we have to rely on the two weekly missions for the next several weeks.
    oooh, I didn't realize miitomo coins also count as plat coins and are combined. that's super weird. I guess I have 1005 coins then.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    I just redeemed Warioware Touched. It spit out a code at me but I was able to click "Redeem Now" and it said it would automatically download to my 3DS. Should be interesting to see if that works.

FU7kFbw.png
    I'm going to need a hard drive for my WiiU. I know they warned against USB powered ones, but anyone using one? Do they work OK? I have a spare laptop hard drive and most 2.5" enclosures don't have separate power.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm going to need a hard drive for my WiiU. I know they warned against USB powered ones, but anyone using one? Do they work OK? I have a spare laptop hard drive and most 2.5" enclosures don't have separate power.

I got me a standard 500GB harddrive and an enclosure for it. That way it has an external power source. It works like a charm for me.

I've heard mixed things about Y cabled HD.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Seems like Nintendo is pushing hard for digital with the new reward system. Will be interesting if we see codes return to physical copies but the gold missions all say digital.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Where the deuce do I put in this email code for the 200 points for being a CN member?

edit: Figures, second I hit post I figure it out. Top left corner of the website, Menu -> Redeem code.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    my.nintendo.com

upper left, hit the 3 bars that opens the menu, select code redemption

Upper left there is a menu dropdown. It's there, it took a while for me to find it too.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Seems like Nintendo is pushing hard for digital with the new reward system. Will be interesting if we see codes return to physical copies but the gold missions all say digital.

They definitely are pushing for digital. I would be more accepting if they had an actual account system in place so that I could redownload games if my system poops out on me. I also really want them to get that cloud storage up and running so I can back up my saves.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    "Just head to My.Nintendo.com to sign in or create your Nintendo Account—and enjoy. You’ll find step-by-step redemption instructions here. "

Liars!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Zelda...Picross...

Fuck. There's no way I'm not doing this.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    edited April 2016
    "Just head to My.Nintendo.com to sign in or create your Nintendo Account—and enjoy. You’ll find step-by-step redemption instructions here. "

Liars!

Yeah that link doesn't work :P It took me forever to find too.

Side note, I spent like 3 hours playing TP Picross. Bleh. And yes, the tutorial is kind of annoying. I only *kind of* knew, so it was useful, but also at some point Midna is going a mile a minute with the "tips" and it forces you to place blocks in spots without really giving you a good idea *why* you are placing them. So I am placing things without actually learning the lesson they are supposed to be teaching me. *sigh*

Warlock82 on
    The Pokemon Picross tutorials were slightly better. But they are straight up teaching you all the advanced tricks you'll need to. Shit that no other picross game ever teaches you that I had to figure out on my own after hours and hours of playing via trial and error and pattern recognition. They may be "annoying" but they're also damned helpful.

If there was some technique you didn't quite understand, it definitely pays to go back and re-read it. Or just ask.

The Pokemon Picross tutorials were slightly better. But they are straight up teaching you all the advanced tricks you'll need to. Shit that no other picross game ever teaches you that I had to figure out on my own after hours and hours of playing via trial and error and pattern recognition. They may be "annoying" but they're also damned helpful.

If there was some technique you didn't quite understand, it definitely pays to go back and re-read it. Or just ask.

It's not annoying they are teaching it, so much as they way they are. They go so fast that it's hard to actually learn what they are talking about.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So are these challenges/missions how Nintendo is going to implement achievements on the NX?

Taramoor on
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Platinum Coins are almost definitely our achievement system.

Between MiiTomo's daily achievements and the generic "Sign Into eShop/Miiverse Once a Week" achievements, at the moment you can get 305 Platinum Coins per week pretty easily. For perspective, Twilight Princess Picross is the most expensive Platinum Prize at 1000 coins, so you can get it in a month, with coins to spare. That isn't even counting start-up bonuses!

This sounds like it might get ridiculous after you have 3 or 4 games stacking on top of one another, but this is tempered by the fact that I expect few games to be as lucrative as MiiTomo, and after a while the only prize you'll really be able to get is MiiTomo Game Tickets, so Nintendo doesn't really care.

Speaking of which, it looks like the 10 Ticket prize is significantly cheaper than the 5 Ticket prize (250 platinum vs. 420 platinum). Judging by the 1 ticket prize, the 10 is almost certainly an error, so...stock up? Maybe? If that is what you are into.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    The auto download of Warioware initiated just fine, but ended up erroring out because I didn't have enough space available on the 3DS' internal storage.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Platinum Coins are almost definitely our achievement system.

Between MiiTomo's daily achievements and the generic "Sign Into eShop/Miiverse Once a Week" achievements, at the moment you can get 305 Platinum Coins per week pretty easily. For perspective, Twilight Princess Picross is the most expensive Platinum Prize at 1000 coins, so you can get it in a month, with coins to spare. That isn't even counting start-up bonuses!

This sounds like it might get ridiculous after you have 3 or 4 games stacking on top of one another, but this is tempered by the fact that I expect few games to be as lucrative as MiiTomo, and after a while the only prize you'll really be able to get is MiiTomo Game Tickets, so Nintendo doesn't really care.

Speaking of which, it looks like the 10 Ticket prize is significantly cheaper than the 5 Ticket prize (250 platinum vs. 420 platinum). Judging by the 1 ticket prize, the 10 is almost certainly an error, so...stock up? Maybe? If that is what you are into.

They have redeem limits so you can only do the 10 tickets once, the 5 tickets twice, and the 1 ticket five times. Next to the 1 and 5 ticket limits it says those limits are until May 1 so they probably reset every month but the 10 tickets is one time only.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So, I've never played a Picross game before. Is Twilight Princess Picross a good place to start?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    So, I've never played a Picross game before. Is Twilight Princess Picross a good place to start?

Get Pokemon Picross and see if you like it. If you do, then yeah go for TPP. If not, save those points for something else.

I love how user friendly they made everything in the TPP version. Near everything is an option and you can make it as easy or as hard as you want. Turning hints on or off and whether you want to be penalized for breaking a wrong block or not.

The only bummer is how short it feels. Well, 90 puzzles not including the one giant mural, but it's only 45 unique pictures, and it looks like they just reuse them for Mega Picross.

Speaking of. Mega Picross. Where the fuck have you been all my life? Hell of a steep learning curve though, and it took a lot before I finally understood the core logic. But now that I do, god damn.

• Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    How big do the puzzles get? They've been refusing to go over 20x15 on 3DS Picross titles which is frustrating, since they went bigger on the DS with no problems.
    Might just get this new Wii U one that has an puzzle editor instead. Although I'm worried it doesn't offer button controls (it only says touch controls in the ad copy.)

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    how has there not been a fucking Picross 3D sequel yet, espeically since that was a god damn original DS game.
    ugh.

by far the best picross

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    One came out in Japan recently, the question is why don't we have it outside of Japan.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Logging into Miiverse and the eShop this week finally put me past 1000 Platinum Points, so I've just downloaded Twilight Princess Picross! (the whole automatic downloading thing is super convenient, by the way)

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I think the weekly stuff resets every Monday. I remember logging in Sunday to the eshop and I have the mission available again after I collected my points today.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    I love Picross, but I have this feeling that if I spend my points now, something even more radical is going to be available right before that first "6 month expiring points/coins/meow meow beenz" checkpoint.

steam_sig.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Really hope something a lot better is going to be in the rewards section because right now it's incredibly hard to care about 15% discounts on select old game downloads. I want to download games but Amazon is playing dirty and offering 20% discounts on game preorders and all orders up to 2 weeks after release.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The game coupons are kind of worthless to me. They should know what games I own digitally right?

And yeah Prime basically giving me games cheaper isn't helping. I figure we'll start getting sound track downloads and such soon though

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    At the very least they should have more virtual console games. If that's how people want to spend their coins they should have that option.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    There's a weekly My Nintendo login bonus as well. Look for a platinum coin sitting by your coin boxes.

4dm3dwuxq302.png