As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pin Presentation/Display solutions and pictures

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    That is an awesome display

• agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Finally stopped procrastinating and got my 2015 pin display done. Attended Prime for the 5th time. So this is every Prime pin + Staff pins + Core set and Polygon from all 4x PAXs. Put the poster together in photoshop and had it printed.

Truly inspiring, a masterpiece!!

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • dcamo50dcamo50 Mr Melbourne, Australia Registered User regular
    Nothing special, but here is my display.
    I think I'll eventually get a separate board for every year1qo4bubygh3j.jpeg

• awesomedezawesomedez Registered User new member
    Just wanted to share our collection. This is not all of the pins just the ones that I have framed so far.

8g0gu8gh6c56.jpg

I trade as a team with Rocketogre. Check out our lanyard on pinny pals!
    awesomedez wrote: »
    Just wanted to share our collection. This is not all of the pins just the ones that I have framed so far.

They look great! I reckon I can see one of my @RocketOgre trades in there :)

"Damn fine pins!"
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    What's going on with that half-coloured frame?

• HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Large display finally done.
    gzqnj9avj80g.jpg

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • MarioManiacMarioManiac Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    dcamo50 wrote: »

What's up with the LE polygons in the middle (Aus, East and South)? Is it just the lighting? They have an orange tint to them.

MarioManiac on
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious shit!"
    signature_zpsh4qstnbp.png
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/MarioManiac
  • dcamo50dcamo50 Mr Melbourne, Australia Registered User regular

What's up with the LE polygons in the middle (Aus, East and South)? Is it just the lighting? They have an orange tint to them.

My best guess is that it's a reflection of my orange Hi vis work shirt that I had on when I took the photo

• mightyh0bbesmightyh0bbes Subterranean Arcadian SeattleRegistered User regular
    Here's a link to my display. I've shared it on Slack but not real on here because I'm terrible at pic resizing.

www.paxsignaturegenerator.com:8080/signature.png
  • MarioManiacMarioManiac Registered User regular

My best guess is that it's a reflection of my orange Hi vis work shirt that I had on when I took the photo
    Ah ok. Strange that it happened though.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious shit!"
    signature_zpsh4qstnbp.png
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/MarioManiac
    Pins for trade!
  • timmywiltimmywil Chattanooga, TNRegistered User regular
    My 2013 (and 2012) display! 2014 and 2015 forthcoming.

8dzjm999v37q.png

• XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    With my pin collection unlikely to change much until next PAX East I've gone ahead and set-up a couple 12x12 frames, one with PA stuff, one with non-PA stuff (including a few non-Pinny pins). May also do a third frame for my badges but for now I'm pretty happy with this.

rw1j3v2qfw9h.jpeg

Oh goodness the potato picture quality

Xenigma on
    Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Display time! Here's my setup, I've got Pinny pins and Disney stuff, along with anything I'd file under "Other", but this section is just for the Video game pins.

FoZBPue.jpg

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • bravesaturnbravesaturn World's Best Entry Level Employee Registered User regular
    Another frame gets added to the hall of pins!

r6u1iiclzwmb.jpg
    dhywf4hqqzp0.jpg

@bravesaturn double mat AND you used my favorite comic? <3

Pins for trade!
  • timmywiltimmywil Chattanooga, TNRegistered User regular
    @bravesaturn Now I want a hallway. Damn, this is getting expensive. ;)

• InterestingMixInterestingMix A little bit of everything really Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    @bravesaturn Those are beautiful. I was actually looking/thinking for how to do something similar this week with an Armadeaddon Comic panel for all those pins. Apologies if you have already covered/answered this, but do you cut all the internal card/pieces yourself or do you get it done?

m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!
  • vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to upload a photo of a corkboard and I'm getting a 'too large' message. How can i reduce the size?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    vonhist wrote: »
    I'm trying to upload a photo of a corkboard and I'm getting a 'too large' message. How can i reduce the size?
    Edit it in a photo editing program or app.

• vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Lets try this againnkrn0c9o85fm.jpg

My Pax Aus pins: just one to go.

vonhist on
  • bravesaturnbravesaturn World's Best Entry Level Employee Registered User regular
    @InterestingMix Thank you! I actually take my pins into a store to have them frame it. I just show them where I want the pins, and they cut the mattes and everything else!

• LXAKA1287LXAKA1287 Freelancer Akron, OHRegistered User regular
    gqlflhhpafxe.jpg

Working to get my pin collection organized, while leaving room for expansion. Frames are 16"x16" on Amazon, and can be pretty cheap if you watch prices like a hawk (I think I got them for $12 plus Prime shipping). Went to Pat Catan's for the Matte Board (the only blue and the closest to orange they had). Will try to post a follow-up once they are hung.

East 14/15/16/17/18/19 - South 17/18/19

I'm on Pinny Pals! - Find Me here!
    I swear I'm not a completionist!
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    just a short trip down memory lane.....

1er9raylrqe3.jpg

rn4ibugmrgmb.jpg

i think i have a problem.....

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • theoriginalztheoriginalz PhillyRegistered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    just a short trip down memory lane.....

i think i have a problem.....

I disagree. You have an awesome. Keep it up!

Trade pins with me! Pinny LanyardjlB4Ded.png
    the squirrel plushie is still guarding them, though hes sitting in a PA mug now

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
    edited November 2016
    Hingo’s Guide To Creating Your Own Displays

Step 1: Shopping
    Items Needed:
    Frame/Shadowbox
    Base material - material to stab pins into (cork, foam core/foamboard, cardboard, etc.)
    Adhesive (glue, duct tape, etc.)
    Cloth or other covering if using cork or cardboard
    Ruler/straightedge
    Utility knife
    Scissors
    Graph paper
    Quake Hold museum putty (if you have pins that like to move around, like Tycho Tot)
    af9ai63mguds.jpg

Step 2: Plan out your display based on your frame purchase
    Measure the inside of your frame to determine what size you need to cut your base material down to. Next, measure the top visible dimensions of your frame (this may be the same as the previous dimensions, it entirely depends on the style of frame).
    nr9nbmgnwtsw.jpg
    gg4f9dusmtup.jpg

Find an old Amazon box that you still haven’t broken down for recycling, and cut 2 pieces of cardboard slightly larger than this. For my framing example, my dimensions are 13.5” x 5.5”. Technically, the viewable area inside is 5 11/16” for the width, but I am using ¼” graph paper, so it’s easier to chop it off at 5.5”. Use the graph paper to determine your design layout and spacing.
    fqahmwyxca8s.jpg

Step 3: Prep your frame and base material
    For this frame, I’m using cork wall tile, cardboard, and cloth. The average pin post depth is 3/8”, and the cork tile I bought was slightly undersized in the depth department. Cut your base material to size using your straightedge and utility knife/razor blade. You CAN use scissors to cut cork, but the edge looks terrible. This isn’t as important if you’re covering it in fabric after. I prefer the cleanliness of the razor cut.
    smhjfi8suuvv.jpg

Sadly, I forgot to take pictures of this part of the process, but I made up for it by doing it all over again with a sample piece! You’re welcome. Because my cork tile wasn’t thick enough, I had to cut some cardboard to match the cork size and use trusty Elmer’s glue to stick them together.
    iz0v61yps2xq.jpg

Next, I was going to cover the cork with black fabric, from the clearance section of <insert your local fabric and craft store here>. IRON YOUR FABRIC!!! This is what separates us from the savages. Well, unless your fabric can’t be ironed. Be picky about what you buy, and make sure you can flatten that fabric out before attaching it to your base material. I used spray adhesive to affix the fabric to the cork, but honestly pulling it slightly taut and duct taping the back side of it also works if you want to be super lazy.
    4gquw0y29ud5.jpg

Now it’s time to secure the base material to the back of the frame. This might not be necessary, it really depends on if you are framing with spacers or not. The frame I bought had spacers already in it, but they were nailed and glued to the inside of the frame. Double-sided tape can work if it’s strong enough, otherwise glue + weights is the easiest option. You have to be careful with this, because it’s possible that if you mess this step up there isn’t really any turning back. Carefully place your prepped base material on the frame backing, and slide it in to place from the bottom, glass facing up. Once the backing is flush with the frame, carefully take the top of the frame back off, trying not to move the base material from its proper position. Mark the position of the corners using either a black sharpie or silver sharpie. Finally, apply glue to the backing and place the prepped base material back into position, and add weights. Old textbooks are great for this. I used my initial cardboard prep piece as a spacer between the books and the base material, to help with even distribution of the weight.
    91ybxat3e05u.jpg

Step 4: Pin assembly
    With the frame finally ready to receive pins, disassembly of our graph paper prep piece is necessary. If you had multiple stabbing attempts to get your spacing correct, make sure to circle the proper pin post hole, and label them for which pin went where.
    yz9inwwtbujq.jpg

Place the graph paper over your prepped base material, and carefully stab the post through part way. THIS IS INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT IF YOU’RE USING FOAM CORE BECAUSE IT DOESN’T HOLD AS WELL AS CORK! Remove the pin, and set it aside. Do this with all of the pins in your display. Next, remove the graph paper. You should be able to see where the pin post punctured your prepped base material (easy to see on foam core, harder to see on cloth covered cork, but still possible). Use that pilot hole to place your pins for final display.
    9ga7g23ac15s.jpg

Step 5: Fin
    Place the backing on the frame, close it up, take a picture and post it on the twitters, tag it #pinnyarcade, then post that link in the Displays thread for all to see! Why twitter? Because the forums will auto-embed tweets, and there are file size limitations to uploads here and display image sizes, and twitter is the easiest solution to this.

STILL TO COME IN A FUTURE EDIT: COST BREAKDOWN OF MATERIALS ABOVE, SHAMELESSLY STOLEN FROM MY PART OF THE WEST 2016 PANEL

Hingo on
    Pins for trade!
  • RenfamousRenfamous Weeb, Unexceptional Cosplayer Houston, TexasRegistered User regular
    l34wb2c6k2uf.png

Glue.PNG 307.1K
    Did that just for you @Renfamous <3

Pins for trade!
  • RenfamousRenfamous Weeb, Unexceptional Cosplayer Houston, TexasRegistered User regular
    You have super 77 RIGHT THERE

• InterestingMixInterestingMix A little bit of everything really Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think I have found the shadowbox I want (need)
    d67205a61abbc1df8b72f522a7007a5a.jpg

m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!
    Woah! Is that from a local supplier? Or at least in the country?

"Damn fine pins!"
    edited November 2016
    I am trying to find one somewhere/anywhere, this one was on pinterist, did a google search for "large hinged shadow box"

(Getting scared about how much it's likely to cost :confused: )

InterestingMix on
    m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!
    edited November 2016
    LOL :)

Was at Ikea and saw this (didn't grab one yet though) http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/00287417/

Inside depth: 5.5 cm
    Inside width: 24.5 cm
    Inside height: 41.5 cm
    Width: 30 cm
    Depth: 8 cm
    Height: 47 cm
    Max. load: 1 kg

bgzg6l7nmgan.jpg

It's compact and relatively cheap @ $19.99, might be worth a look next time your at one.

agentcooper on
    "Damn fine pins!"
    edited November 2016
    Some people have been asking for a photo of the folders inside

gbrq0fg6v2n7.jpg

I get them from the site https://www.safepub.com/

https://www.safepub.com/sections/pin-collecting-display/pin-albums/p/compact-album-with-5-pin-pages#tabs-1

Ayefkay on

8fuuo_RK.png
    That's pretty nice @Agent Cooper , I may have to go take a look at that (I actually drive past 2 Ikeas between home and work)

m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!
  • misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I have those folders as well! The basic ones, though, no year labelling and no case. My PA one is full though so I'm waiting until Christmas for my super secret I-already-asked-for-pin-books-so-I-better-get-them surprise. :biggrin:

The only thing I don't really like about them is that if you need to rearrange any pins the plastic page backing starts to look a little haggard. Maybe I should just be less terrible at pin organisation and design.

misskass on
    edited November 2016
    Oh, I put those labels myself, otherwise they are all the same. The covers are good just to hold everything together.

The brown one on the left is for non-pinny pins

Ayefkay on

8fuuo_RK.png
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    The brown one on the left is for non-pinny pins

Ah! I was wondering about that one 8-)

"Damn fine pins!"