As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Recording Equipment

StragintStragint Do Not GiftAlways DeclinesRegistered User regular
I want to test the waters of Youtube/Twitch stuff and seeing if I can make any kind of money from it so I was wondering what programs and equipment would be good for getting this going.

I have FRAPS already for my PC. For now I was going to use Twitch to record PS4 stuff and edit it on my PC but I do not know what to use to record PS3, WiiU, Wii, Vita, DS, etc. or if it is even possible to record on older stuff.

I am also trying to find some good editing programs. Free would be preferable at this time since I do not know if I can even make a career/living with this but I also do not mind dropping a bit of money for some good quality.

Any tips are greatly appreciated. I have a 2TB external hard drive that I can store some stuff on.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I want to test the waters of Youtube/Twitch stuff and seeing if I can make any kind of money from it so I was wondering what programs and equipment would be good for getting this going.

I have FRAPS already for my PC. For now I was going to use Twitch to record PS4 stuff and edit it on my PC but I do not know what to use to record PS3, WiiU, Wii, Vita, DS, etc. or if it is even possible to record on older stuff.

I am also trying to find some good editing programs. Free would be preferable at this time since I do not know if I can even make a career/living with this but I also do not mind dropping a bit of money for some good quality.

Any tips are greatly appreciated. I have a 2TB external hard drive that I can store some stuff on.

Most Twitch livestreamers I watch use an Elgato of some kind for recording on consoles. As for editing, the only thing I've heard of is from Neebs Gaming when Appsro (Jonny Ethco) talks about using Adobe AfterEffects (which is where his handle comes from). Personally, I have extremely limited experience with game capture tech...the most I do is record via Nvidia ShadowPlay and do incredibly basic editing via Windows Movie Maker (or whatever it's called these days).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    seeing if I can make any kind of money from it

Are you an attractive female?

There is a 99% chance that the answer to that question is also the answer to the question "Can I make any kind of money on Twitch".

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Most Twitch livestreamers I watch use an Elgato of some kind for recording on consoles. As for editing, the only thing I've heard of is from Neebs Gaming when Appsro (Jonny Ethco) talks about using Adobe AfterEffects (which is where his handle comes from). Personally, I have extremely limited experience with game capture tech...the most I do is record via Nvidia ShadowPlay and do incredibly basic editing via Windows Movie Maker (or whatever it's called these days).

I think I will work with Windows movie maker for now. Adobe after effects looks cool but it is only Monthly so I will need to wait a bit for that investment.

How well does shadow play record? I looked at it but I have not given it a try.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    edited April 2016

I think I will work with Windows movie maker for now. Adobe after effects looks cool but it is only Monthly so I will need to wait a bit for that investment.

I started out recording at 1920x1080 at 60fps, but I've started recording at 2560x1440 at 60fps to try to get around Youtube's video degradation during the upload process. Overall, video quality is looks to be pretty decent, and it seamlessly gets brought into WMM for easy basic editing. So far, the only thing I can't figure out is how to make ShadowPlay not record in-game (or even Vent) chat audio. I've tried selecting "In-game audio only"...but, for whatever reason, ShadowPlay still catches the VOIP chat.

EDIT - of course, the easy solution is to drop the in-game volume during post and adding in a voice over for Youtubing.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

I started out recording at 1920x1080 at 60fps, but I've started recording at 2560x1440 at 60fps to try to get around Youtube's video degradation during the upload process. Overall, video quality is looks to be pretty decent, and it seamlessly gets brought into WMM for easy basic editing. So far, the only thing I can't figure out is how to make ShadowPlay not record in-game (or even Vent) chat audio. I've tried selecting "In-game audio only"...but, for whatever reason, ShadowPlay still catches the VOIP chat.

EDIT - of course, the easy solution is to drop the in-game volume during post and adding in a voice over for Youtubing.

I will give it a try, FRAPS is nice but can be weird.

I think I am going to get Sony movie studio for editing. It is not too expensive and there are a lot of good reviews for it.

Now I need to find something for recording PS3, WiiU, and hopefully the Vita and DS and I will be pretty happy. Maybe a mic for voice recording as well.

• Options

I will give it a try, FRAPS is nice but can be weird.

I think I am going to get Sony movie studio for editing. It is not too expensive and there are a lot of good reviews for it.

Now I need to find something for recording PS3, WiiU, and hopefully the Vita and DS and I will be pretty happy. Maybe a mic for voice recording as well.

For the first two, an Elgato looks like it would serve you well (I know Neebs Gaming used an older Elgato for PS3 capture). Here's the Newegg page for it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0TP-0072-00001

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    For a vita you could use a PSTV, if it's compatible with the games you want to stream.

The DS situation is grim. You need a 3ds with a capture card installed in it, which aren't easily available.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    For a vita you could use a PSTV, if it's compatible with the games you want to stream.

The DS situation is grim. You need a 3ds with a capture card installed in it, which aren't easily available.

I had completely forgotten about the PSTV. I have one too so that makes things a lot easier.

• Options
    So I am going to get the Sony Video Maker and Elgato HD 1080 recorder. Just need to see if I need to buy any extra cables for hooking stuff up and find a good mic to use with my headset and I can start things up.

• Options
    So I am going to get the Sony Video Maker and Elgato HD 1080 recorder. Just need to see if I need to buy any extra cables for hooking stuff up and find a good mic to use with my headset and I can start things up.

For some reason, this little guy springs to mind as being mentioned either here or on Felicia Day's Twitch stream...but I can't remember which...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836431022 (Blue Microphones' Snowball line)

• Options
    So I got all the stuff now but when I run Elgato there is a ton of lag between input. Is there a way to fix that?

• Options
    So I got all the stuff now but when I run Elgato there is a ton of lag between input. Is there a way to fix that?

It's from the audio compression chip, so you won't be able to eliminate it. The workaround is to not play a game through the game capture window on the PC, but rather send the live video feed to a TV via HDMI. There is a side benefit to this as it'll make it harder for people who are watching your Twitch feed from knowing exactly where you are at all times by watching your feed.

https://help.elgato.com/customer/portal/articles/1287443-gameplay-has-a-short-delay-in-elgato-game-capture-hd-software-

• Options

It's from the audio compression chip, so you won't be able to eliminate it. The workaround is to not play a game through the game capture window on the PC, but rather send the live video feed to a TV via HDMI. There is a side benefit to this as it'll make it harder for people who are watching your Twitch feed from knowing exactly where you are at all times by watching your feed.

https://help.elgato.com/customer/portal/articles/1287443-gameplay-has-a-short-delay-in-elgato-game-capture-hd-software-

I feel dumb for asking but how do I set that up? I did not notice an option for that while the capture was up. Can I have the capture up and just switch input on the tv and play?

I might need to buy a splitter for my video card so I can have two screens going.

• Options
    edited April 2016

I feel dumb for asking but how do I set that up? I did not notice an option for that while the capture was up. Can I have the capture up and just switch input on the tv and play?

I might need to buy a splitter for my video card so I can have two screens going.

From my understanding of the layout (based on Elgato's website and from the Newegg product pics), this is the general gist of how it's supposed to be set up (pardon the incredibly crude MS Paint drawing...I'm not a graphical designer and I have very limited graphical artistic skills):

051qbcajqm8n.jpg
    (HDMI ports not located as represented in sketch)

If this is how you have it already set up, I may be at a loss. Basically: Console -> Elgato's HDMI In; Elgato HDMI Out-> TV; USB -> PC.

edited for pic size

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    I meant to ask this a while ago but I have been all over the place with all kinds of stuff.

I got the video to record no problem but now I do not know how to get the sound to record. There is the Elgato sound capture icon but I do not know if it is actually recording anything, I cannot find any sound files with Elgato.

Do I need to do something else to record sound?

• Options
    It looks like the audio signal is likely coming in through the HDMI cable. Are you setting the default audio device to output via HDMI?

• Options
    Hmmm, I have been setting the sound to only go through my headset so maybe that was the issue.

• Options
    So I am going to try recording without having all sound go through my headset to see if that works better. Hopefully that method will still record my voice and anyone else in a party chat on PS4.

When I record solo I was going to use the mic I bought that is hooked up to my PS4. Am I able to have Elgato record the video and sound from the PS4 and record the input from the mic hooked to the PC?

• Options
    So I am going to try recording without having all sound go through my headset to see if that works better. Hopefully that method will still record my voice and anyone else in a party chat on PS4.

When I record solo I was going to use the mic I bought that is hooked up to my PS4. Am I able to have Elgato record the video and sound from the PS4 and record the input from the mic hooked to the PC?

It looks like the Elgato will record both the consoles audio and your PC mic if you also get the update that lets you setup Live Commentary: https://help.elgato.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1020243-live-commentary-and-elgato-game-capture-hd?b_id=360

However, it also looks like there is a way to get everything to route through the PS4/DualShock controller: https://help.elgato.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1720957-playstation-4-ps4-game-and-chat-audio-with-elgato-game-capture-hd60?b_id=360

I do have to admit, you've just about reached the edge of what I've been able to figure out (full disclosure: I don't have an Elgato, I just watch Twitch streamers who use them), so I'm relying on what I can find out from their support boards...some of the info I've found may not be 100% what you're looking for.

• Options
    Yea, I got it to record through the PC mic I have by using live commentary so I am effectively able to record solo games no problem now which is great, I can finally start recording after work and edit on the weekend.

I did end up having a problem with recording PS4 party chat, the only thing I could think of at the time is maybe hooking up the mic I have to my PS4 and seeing if it will work and having everyone else's audio go through the HDMI but I do not know if that would record my audio and it would probably create feedback issues.

I do really appreciate all of your help with this. It has been incredibly helpful with getting everything started. I realize I should be using the elgato site a lot more before coming directly here but it always feels more comfortable to come to the forums first. I am gonna look up the more complex info where I can though so I can get things rolling.

I was actually pleasantly surprised because I was wondering what kind of setup the Game Grumps used because I know they use an Elgato and the next day they had released a video showing their setup.

• Options
    So I have pretty much got everything setup now. I can record party chat on ps4 but the output is really low so I gotta adjust the in game sound settings and try to find a way to boost the output for chat. It also seems to lag a bit and I do not know if that is caused by the Internet connection or the setup so I gotta play with that a little but at least I have that all going.

I have FRAPS and ShadowPlay for my PC so that is already crazy easy.

Now all I need to do is figure out some games to start with and do some recording this week.

• Options
    If you hold down the ps button while gaming, I think you might be able to adjust audio levels from that menu.

• Options
    So I have pretty much got everything setup now. I can record party chat on ps4 but the output is really low so I gotta adjust the in game sound settings and try to find a way to boost the output for chat. It also seems to lag a bit and I do not know if that is caused by the Internet connection or the setup so I gotta play with that a little but at least I have that all going.

I have FRAPS and ShadowPlay for my PC so that is already crazy easy.

Now all I need to do is figure out some games to start with and do some recording this week.

Here are a few that I've found to be pretty good for broadcasting/live-commentary:
    • Dark Souls 3, DS2, Bloodborne
    • Far Cry 3, 4, Primal
    • Just Cause 3
    • ARK: Survival Evolved
    • Battlefield 4/Hardline

Call of Duty might be a good one...but I haven't tried with that series yet. Also, to be released this week, Overwatch is gonna be baller for broadcasting.

• Options
    I will definitely be doing the souls stuff, maybe a full playthrough of Demon's Souls to Dark Souls 3.

I was thinking of starting with Valkyria Chronicles, Overwatch, and a new character FF14 go through. I have a disgusting quantity of games to play between PSN Vita, PS3, PS4, and PC. Maybe even a bit of WiiU at some point. I just feel like I need to be careful with games with a lot of play hours to start. Maybe I should go with shorter games to start.

• Options
    So I have now come across something that is making PS4 online play a little annoying. Apparently the new router in my house is pretty bad. The previous router was able to easily handle all the wireless connections (there are 15 to 17 devices that are wireless but never all on at once). The new router is barely able to keep up. At least I think it is the router, the modem is brand new as well. I need to figure out which it is before I drop a bunch of money on something.

I hit up speedtest.net and the upload/download speed on my PC that is hooked up by cable to the modem has disgustingly good speeds so I am guessing the router.

In the mean time, any suggestions on a good router? I do not want to spend too much money but some of the 150-200 price tagged routers I was looking at seem solid.

• Options
    This is what I've been using and it seems to be pretty solid (at most, I have 11-13 wireless devices attached to it, but, like you, never all on at the same time...at most, about 7-8 devices are active at any given time): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320174

I wonder if the AC2400, though, might be a better option for you. I mean, from the product page (probably not the most objective info source): "4 x 4 MU-MIMO antenna design with AiRadar universal beamforming for unrivaled multi-device performance and wireless signal coverage up to 465 square meters (around 5,000 sq. ft.)." Now, if we strip away the marketing buzz shit, the take away of 4 MIMO antennas vs. the 3 unspecified antennas from the AC1900 makes me think that the AC2400 would be better if you do have multiple wireless devices that are concurrently requesting traffic.

Hell...just looking at the 2400 is making me want to order one (and I don't have anything overly wrong with the 1900 that I currently have) :P

• Options
    Which 2400? One of the Asus ones?

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Which 2400? One of the Asus ones?

Sorry, yeah. The AC2400 that you can select from the Newegg store page link for the AC1900 that I copy/pasted. From the looks of it, there are five class choices, but everything above the AC2400 pushes well beyond your $200 upper limit (and would likely not benefit your situation all that much).

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    I also recommend asus routers. I'm using an older n-16 and it's a champ.

• Options
    http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIAADF3V36901

This is the one that I might grab for ac2400. I can work with 219 and the electronics store near my work place has it in stock.

• Options
    Can I use the elgato hd capture program to stream stuff to Twitch?

• Options

You should be able to. I'm 90% sure that's what the Neebs Gaming crew uses for their stream.

• Options
    edited June 2016

You should be able to. I'm 90% sure that's what the Neebs Gaming crew uses for their stream.

Sweet, I hate using OBS so much.

Stragint on