As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game bug - or controller woes?

I started playing Hyper Light Drifter over the weekend, but the game isn't playing nice with my X360 controller. However, since I haven't found any comments on the web that suggest the same problem, I'm starting to wonder if it's not HLD but either my gamepad or my computer/setup/drivers that are the problem.

What's happening is this: in the game, every now and then an input gets stuck. I might be running to the right, and suddenly my character continues running to the right and the game registers no other controller input. If I then use the keyboard to get to the menu, the gamepad input is still in effect (e.g. I go to the controller menu and it cycles through the different controller types, as it would if I were actually pressing the stick to the right).

This only stops once I unplug the controller, at which point I could still play with the keyboard. If I plug the gamepad back in while HLD is still running, sometimes it doesn't register, sometimes the game crashes.

I haven't encountered any similar issues in the other games I'm currently playing, though they control with KB+M. Not sure if they should even register gamepad input unless I set them up to do so.

Any ideas what the problem might be, and whether it's more likely to be an issue with the game or with the gamepad, drivers or anything else related to the system?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The analog sticks on 360 controllers can wear out over time, leaving their "resting" positions outside of being fully zeroed (meaning you think the stick is centered, and it looks centered, but in reality it is juuuust off center and games pick up on that thinking it's player movement).

It could be a bug in the game, but your best bet is to try some other games using the controller to see if you can replicate the problem. If it happens with other games with other games you know your controller is bunk. If it doesn't happen with other games than your controller might be fine, or it might be bunk and HLD is the only game with movement controls sensitive enough to pick up on it. Either way, if the game has options for adding an analog dead zone that should solve your problem.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I don't think it's the 'resting position' thing, since that wouldn't be a reason for the game to think I'm pressing the stick to the right when I'm actually pressing it all the way to the left. I'll definitely try some other games, though.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods