As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Hyper Light Drifter] is on a CO-OP mission

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    I did the 800 dash challenge!

It was... not worth it at all!
    All it gives is a color swap for the Drifter, your sword, and your lil' robo familiar. That's it! That's all it gives!

Doing 100 is pretty worthwhile though.

I also managed to do the dash chain puzzle across the fire blocks in the East..
    This one:
    ESPxy39.png
    for a Gearbit. Not sure if spoiler worthy since it's in plain sight, but better safe than sorry.

On a controller, no less. Was kinda surprised that I pulled it off. But then I teleported back, haha. No way I was gonna do that shit twice.

It took a lot of attempts. I'd be able to get the motion going and then I'd fuck up at the very end. Then I couldn't get the motion going at all... etc etc.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    The prize from the 800 dash challenge...
    Wearing just one piece will double your dash metre, so you can chain dash even more.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    does winning at soccer get you anything

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    Pride that you beat that annoying little son of a bitch

Anyone who had trouble with the 800 chain dash challenge is going to despair when they find the crystal trap dash challenge. Man, fuck this place.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Apparently all the visual appearance gear also has hidden game effects/bonuses:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/257850/discussions/0/365163686048189824/

-Pink Cape (THAT other drifter)= faster energy recharge rate (triggers faster too).

-Purple Cape (800 dashes)= halves energy consumption (doesn't double the bar, could check it with Pink Cape's effect).

-Ocher Cape (16 monoliths)= +1 health.

-Fuchsia Cape (16-key door)= boosts ammunition gained from monsters' kills, hits (about every 4th hit) and charged attacks (could be just by one, for all actions).

-Black Cape (5 arenas)= turns every kill into a beheading kill (like a charged sword attack's).

-Orange Cape (1-key door)= doubles bomb's recharge rate.

-Green/Blue Cape (Crystal traps-dash challenge)= increases millisecond window for chain dashes (hardly noticeable effect, requires more testing).

-Blue Cape (10-key door)= ???.

-White Cape (8-key door)= Boosts interaction speed (opening doors, etc...). -credits to freeaxes

-Yellow Cape (12-key door)= seems to boost walking speed (hardly noticeable effect, requires more testing).

-Red Cape (starter cape)= ??? (probably none).

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Gotta love how those effects are, in sum, "barely noticeable".

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Really? Double bomb recharge or +1 health seems really strong

There's just not much application for any of the effects. By the time you get the +1 health cape, you're well beyond needing an additional health. And many enemy attacks deal damage in increments of 2 anyway, so the difference between 5 and 6 is negligible.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Anyone who had trouble with the 800 chain dash challenge is going to despair when they find the crystal trap dash challenge. Man, fuck this place.

I found that one to be pretty doable, honestly

there's a dash puzzle in the east I still haven't been able to do, though

Huzzah, beat the East Boss! One attempt, got a little sloppy near the end cause I was mixing up the buttons for Gun Swap and actually firing the gun. WHOOPS.

So that's East and North down, West is next. I've given up on hunting for secrets. If I come across it on my own, cool. But I'm not going out of my way for any. It's made the game a lot more enjoyable, ignoring the secrets, I mean.

Weapon spoilers for East Boss:
    Oh my god the Shotgun is amazing. I wish I did East first!! That's how good it is! Like holy shit, a pointblank shot into some of the bigger dudes will chunk em for half their health. So good.

Side note: I've gotten really damn good at Chain Dashing on a controller now, to the point where I don't even have to think about it. Got that timing down. So now I just Chain Dash everywhere, except I bash into walls and fall off ledges a lot. :bzz:

DNiDlnb.png
    edited April 2016
    Shorty wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »

I found that one to be pretty doable, honestly

there's a dash puzzle in the east I still haven't been able to do, though

Yeah like 3 attempts after that post I managed it.

I've done all the puzzles in east now and I don't recall having any trouble with any of them! I guess people just get stuck on different stuff.
    metaghost wrote: »
    There's just not much application for any of the effects. By the time you get the +1 health cape, you're well beyond needing an additional health. And many enemy attacks deal damage in increments of 2 anyway, so the difference between 5 and 6 is negligible.

Totally disagree. For some of the hidden arena fights an extra 1hp per health pack is insanely useful, and while I haven't been using the bomb recharge one yet I think it'd be really strong there too.

Anzekay on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah as far as I can tell the direct path through the game is fairly straightforward. The challenges and secrets just seem to be there if you want to do that stuff.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I have been trying this game a bit. No idea what to spend my points in, though. I got the chain dash one because it allowed me to go around faster and I'm a hasty Gus, but that's about it - and honestly, the chain dash is a tad uncontrollable. I've died far more to falling off cliffs than the enemies, which are by and large not very threatening. Took down the bosses for the West and North areas. Think I managed to get seven or eight rhombus thingies in the West area, but I still have only four in the north, should probably go back and check again, since I wasn't as exhaustive there, being the first area I went in.

Overall, the game is pretty satisfying, but the need to pixel hunt every wall for false walls hiding secrets gets annoying.

Also, I got a key. I have no idea what that key is for.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Is there a way to restock medkits besides looking for them in a level?

Satsumomo wrote: »
    Is there a way to restock medkits besides looking for them in a level?

Nope. You'd think the pharmacy lizard would be kind enough to restock you as a friendly gesture, but I guess he's too busy smoking his own product.

• HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    So this is I'm sure a very dumb question, but what is the purpose of pinging my little robot guy? Y on the controller, I mean. It doesn't seem like it highlights anything in the level, all it does is show my status bar. What am I missing?

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
    I think it's just there to let you check your state before you do something. How many health packs do I have, how long til my grenade recharges, etc.

Yeah, I think they just figured that since you have to use that button to scan things, pick up objects, and reveal hidden platforms they figured that it might as well have some additional marginal function outside of those specific ones.

Also two bosses down. Now I just need to knock out the Western boss and I can open up the final area. Slow poke at eleven hours, I know, but it's not bad for an arthritic 45 y/old lame ass.

Honestly this is the most fun I've had with a video game in a while. I'm really happy with this game. I like lots of games and stuff but this one feels pretty special to me for whatever reasons. It's probably all those lameass 80s video game mechanics. :P

• CroakerCroaker Registered User regular

I suspect the main purpose for this is NG+, where you are restricted to 2HP.

2HP huh? Brutal. Not much margin for error.

Croaker wrote: »

I suspect the main purpose for this is NG+, where you are restricted to 2HP.

Maybe. But you do have to earn everything all over again, so you won't get most of the better capes until the very end of NG+ after presumably mastering it.

• HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    I think it's just there to let you check your state before you do something. How many health packs do I have, how long til my grenade recharges, etc.

Ah, ok. I suspected as much. Thanks!

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Just beat the Northern Boss (Perhaps it was the Hierophant?) and unlocked the 4 quadrants of the.... northern thing.

But the door that seemingly needs 4 quadrants won't open for me.

Is that normal?

Those doors require 8 triangles (Modules) from that territory.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

It needs 8 even though it shows a quartered diamond?

Ok...

I wonder where the remaining 4 modules are hidden, then. :)

It needs 8 even though it shows a quartered diamond?

Ok...

I wonder where the remaining 4 modules are hidden, then. :)

The ones that require 1-4 modules only show triangles on them, no box around them. The one you're likely thinking of is an 8-module door (4 triangles surrounded by a square which forms 3 more triangle shapes within it)

Are there are any 4-module doors? I think it's just 1, 3, or 8.

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    I recently started playing this! I beat the northern boss. Now, I gotta ask...Is there any way to get more healing stims? Or in other words, are there places I can go to find them where they respawn, or something? Or am I stuck with whatever health I have?

what a happy day it is
    doomybear wrote: »
    I recently started playing this! I beat the northern boss. Now, I gotta ask...Is there any way to get more healing stims? Or in other words, are there places I can go to find them where they respawn, or something? Or am I stuck with whatever health I have?

They respawn where ever you can find them, you just have to return to town.

Just a note on respawning health packs: they only respawn when you teleport somewhere, and doing so respawns all enemies in all areas as well. So if you want to go restock on health packs and then return to an area without fighting your way back, you'll have to walk.

However, as long as you walk everywhere nothing will respawn. Pretty handy when backtracking for secrets, I found.

My favourite spot to restock on health packs is two screens south of the North teleport site. There's a bunch of the small laser birds, but there's two health packs there, one of which you can get without having to fight them at all if you're quick. I'd just go there, clear them get both packs, teleport back to North again and repeat til full.

I finished this game last night! I collected everything except all the gear bits (too fiddly for my blood when I only had a few upgrades for guns I don't use left). Getting all the keys, outfits and stone monuments was pretty hard but also kinda fun just poking around every nook and cranny. The 4 area arenas and the hidden 5 arenas were a lot of fun, if also quite frustratingly hard at times.

The final act is really really cool, and I'm pretty satisfied with the ending.
    But boy is it quite tragic :( Even the music during the final cutscene and credits was immensely saddening.

Now to wait for co-op and then I'll try NG+!

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Thanks for the help! I've been wandering around for a long time at 1 HP and it's stressful.

what a happy day it is
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Activating a teleporter will refill your health. I don't know if it respawns everything though

Fencingsax on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    North, East, and West cleared. Still missing a lot of stuff though. East boss was super easy compared to the annoying frogs that populated its level - those purple bombthrowers are annoying, but the boss fell on the second try (and honestly I only failed the first time because I derped and dashed myself against the arena's border and got jumped on). That being said, I swear I have like NO idea where the triangle thingers could even be on the north area. I only have five of them, and walking around a lot can't seem to find more.

I also got an orange cape.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    Found my first Key!

:biggrin:

edited April 2016
    Some of the keys I've found have been in some tricky spots.

Drake on
    Hoooo man, I just cleared West today. That boss was SOMETHING ELSE, dude. Honestly, it was my favorite boss fight so far. So goddamn intense, but you feel like a badass when you win.

Strats spoilered below:
    Name of the game is patience. West boss is incredibly aggressive. He's got a quick two-hit combo (that turns into a three-hit combo later on) and you need to dodge that shit. If you're getting hit by the 2nd/3rd hit then change up where you're dashing away from. Being good at Chain Dashing will help a ton. There's a small window after he finishes his combo where you can ape on him a bit. Just pay attention to his tells, don't get hit by his combo, don't try to hit him during his combo. Shotgun is amazing here, pointblank shots will straight up chunk him. I focused mostly on getting quicky Shotgun blasts in rather than normal melee (unless I was out of ammo).

He'll also occasionally stand still and fire shots at you. This is also a great opportunity to ape on him, just make sure to dodge his shots. He'll also summon swordninja-dudes from the crystals every now and then. They're not too difficult to deal with, pointblank Shotgun should (mostly) kill them. Alternatively you can wait til there's a few up and toss some bombs in.

You can also force him to kill the adds while they're still in the crystals. Just stand next to the crystals and his sword combo will shatter them. I found that it wasn't necessary though, and it made for extra micromanagement that wasn't needed.

Not a huge fan of the weapon you get from him though. I like the Railgun/Shotgun way better.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Finished this up the other day, and my final verdict is that the visuals and sound are amazing, the rest of the game is mediocre-to-decent.

The combat system ends up feeling clunky to me rather than fluid because of the delays that get thrown on your attacks and the stupid restrictive energy meter, and many of the "hard" fights are set to simply overwhelm how fast you can attack by throwing a ton of enemies at you. The boss fights are almost an exception, except for the stupid decision to pile standard enemies into the fight while the boss pours attacks out at you. The best boss fights by far were the ones with no/minimal backup enemies and it's just you and the boss, which take more trial-and-error than they should but are still pretty intense. All the boss fights look pretty rad, though.

The "secrets" are really nothing worthwhile; I would've infinitely preferred the devs scrap all the key-hunting crap for expanding the game environment more. Many of the "indicators" for secrets are bad or borderline nonexistent. The map sucks something awful. The ability system definitely works against the player, since certain abilities are much more useful than others and the game is mostly over by the time you figure that out. The visual exposition is great, in the few slim instances it's used at all; the game world itself is woefully devoid of information about itself, and the intro gives flashes of things that have no apparent link to anything in the game itself. Replacing the secret keys with vignettes about the setting would've been an enormously better use of effort and made exploration actually rewarding as well.

And overall, the game is just too short. I clocked in at about seven hours or so, and that included wasting a couple of hours figuring out that hunting for keys wasn't worth my time. Which puts the main game in at 5-6 hours, when there was plenty of material to spend double or even triple that amount of time learning about the game world. At 5-6 hours, you're only just starting to settle into the game world, and then it's all over with.

So it ends up as something I'd say is "interesting and pretty", rather than pretty good. If it had been built on a scale similar to, say, A Link to the Past, I'd say this was an instant classic, but oh well, it's a decent ride for the price.