As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Quick Work

2»

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Ravelle wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    This is kind of how Injustice went. Supes went full Bane on his back. He also murders a bunch of other dudes.

Also to make the game work they come up with a formula that makes all the other guys near equivalent in power to superman. Then they give joker a shot of it.

Um...

I was talking about the Injustice comic, the game's story is a mess! Joker isn't even fighting anyone because Superman punches a hole in to his stomach in the very beginning. ;P I started the game after reading the first tradepaperback hoping it would be similar but the game has everyone fighting without giving an explanation. Superman pretty much destroys everyone that isn't on his level in the books.

They get the serum in the games so that it makes sense. It doesn't put them on a superman power level but it lets them take his punches and throw a few back. It's a total plot device, obviously. Also it's the standard DC joker who does stuff in the games, the injustice joker is dead.

• Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    leosapiens wrote: »
    Superman would never do that, he's a good boy and his mom won't approve of such shenanigans.

Batman must've taken his Ma out on a date to a nice seafood dinner and then never bothered to call again...

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Dissent wrote: »
    leosapiens wrote: »
    Superman would never do that, he's a good boy and his mom won't approve of such shenanigans.

Batman must've taken his Ma out on a date to a nice seafood dinner and then never bothered to call again...

Batman has secret contingency plans that allow him to take any given person's mom out to a nice seafood dinner and never call them back

should the need arise

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Always wondered how they justify Batman vs Superman as actually being a contest in the comic book "lore".

Batman is always prepared.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Kryptonite. Robot suits. Weakening him first. Superman pulls his punches. Etc etc.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    It also depends on the version of Superman. I always liked that in the Justice League cartoon (my main experience of DC lore), Superman could still be electrocuted, knocked back by explosions, etc, and a lot of the heavy hitter enemies could go toe-to-toe with him. He was still presented as the most powerful, but that was because of his array of powers. He was not that much stronger, punching-wise, than Jonn, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, or even Aquaman.

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Is superman really proficient in throwing mans into space? I mean, if he's really good at throwing things into space then maybe he should do what the comic shows and throw half of batman into space in order to kill him. If someone nearby were really good at throwing mans into space you'd think that maybe superman would hand that nearby person that half of batman and let that other person throw that half of batman into space, rather than risk getting that close to batman. Just a thought, its my only complaint about the 3 and a half minute movie.

palidine40 on
  • Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Kryptonite. Robot suits. Weakening him first. Superman pulls his punches. Etc etc.

And thus the parameters for a discussion about Libertarianism is born.

*drops mic before philosophical rage sets in*

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    'Course, he's got to be able to actually get the Kryptonite, which would be a speed issue if dealing with a murderous Clark.

I was under the impression that Batman always carries Kryptonite as insurance. At least that's what he did in the animated Justice League series.

Everybody in DC carries kryptonite as pocket-clutter. It's the most common mineral on Earth.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Isn't it radioactive? Like, poisonous to regular humans as well as Superman? IIRC one of the myriad reasons for Lex being bald was kryptonite exposure. Can't see Batman toting that shit around all day erry day.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Isn't it radioactive? Like, poisonous to regular humans as well as Superman? IIRC one of the myriad reasons for Lex being bald was kryptonite exposure. Can't see Batman toting that shit around all day erry day.

It gave Lex cancer and killed him. He transferred his consciousness to a robot. I think they retconned that away by just not mentioning it for a long time.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

It gave Lex cancer and killed him. He transferred his consciousness to a robot. I think they retconned that away by just not mentioning it for a long time.

Not a robot. A younger clone, right? That he pretended was like his son or nephew or something to fool Superman.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Not a robot. A younger clone, right? That he pretended was like his son or nephew or something to fool Superman.

I never read those issues and was remembering it 2nd hand. Consulting Comic Vine, your story checks out.
    Luthor tried many times to end the "alien menace", but was thwarted by Superman every time. Lex even fashioned a ring from Kryptonite to use. The constant exposure to Kryptonite radiation gave Lex cancer. It was so bad that Lex had his hand removed and replaced with a robotic prosthetic. Things got so bad for Lex that he eventually faked his death and had his brain transferred to a healthy clone body. He assumed the role of his own, hitherto unknown, heir going by the name Lex Luthor II. He even talked with an Australian accent and had a full beard and long red hair. As the younger Lex he convinced the world that he was a different man and not capable of the kind of crimes his father was accused of.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    This is kind of how Injustice went. Supes went full Bane on his back. He also murders a bunch of other dudes.

Also to make the game work they come up with a formula that makes all the other guys near equivalent in power to superman. Then they give joker a shot of it.

Um...

I was talking about the Injustice comic, the game's story is a mess! Joker isn't even fighting anyone because Superman punches a hole in to his stomach in the very beginning. ;P I started the game after reading the first tradepaperback hoping it would be similar but the game has everyone fighting without giving an explanation. Superman pretty much destroys everyone that isn't on his level in the books.

In the storymode Earth-2 has these special pills the resistance made that gives anyone who takes them increased strength and resistance. Not as strong as superman, but able to fight him.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    In any case, Batman doesn't have the same problem. Lex kept his Kryptonite in his pocket all day and/or spent hours working on Kryptonite-laden death machines. Whereas Bats keeps his kryptonite in his utility belt, in a lead-lined compartment.

• Options
    geekoidgeekoid Registered User regular
    Batman Vs. Superman is about the men, not the powers. Anyone who doesn't understand that has missed the point of both comics. Superman can not cross that line, because once he does, it's a short path to world domination; which hs does not want. It's Superman's restraint that makes him the hero.

Story wise, Batman is us; So he must beat the alien.

Now I will break machinery with my head!
  • Options
    geekoid wrote: »
    Batman Vs. Superman is about the men, not the powers. Anyone who doesn't understand that has missed the point of both comics. Superman can not cross that line, because once he does, it's a short path to world domination; which hs does not want. It's Superman's restraint that makes him the hero.

This just seems contrary to the nature of both heroes. Batman isn't us, Superman is. Superman is an alien, but he's a better man than most humans. Whereas Batman is a necessary ill, a self-admitted psychopath whom no one should aspire to be like but who has to exist so decent society can continue. And Batman is the one whose "line" restricts him, his "one rule" that keeps him from just going nuts. Whereas Superman has a bunch of rules, a moral code that cause him to generally be more of a "good guy" than Batman despite his willingness to kill. Superman can kill, and be trusted with great powers, because he's such a morally upright person at heart. If Batman didn't have his "one rule", and especially if he had some sort of superpowers, the world would have a lot more to fear from him.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    geekoid wrote: »

Of course, this is Man of Steel Superman, so neck snaps ahoy.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    mekman 2 wrote: »
    Yes! I love the Hulk reference.
    8hcfajxcsaj3.jpeg

I see Mardi Gras got right out of hand.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    darleysam wrote: »
    mekman 2 wrote: »
    Yes! I love the Hulk reference.
    8hcfajxcsaj3.jpeg

I see Mardi Gras got right out of hand.

I just thought it was a picture of Thrall.
    ThrallerShotCaller.jpg

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Read a Batman versus Superman comic bundled in with Cheerios, it's actually good what the fuck.

Instead of being HARD MAN MAKING HARD CHOICES it acted like Batman was some kind of superhero. So, uh, whoever wrote the tie-in comic that came with my Cheerios did well.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    SpaceBadgerSpaceBadger Registered User regular
    Good thing he can breath in space.