As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Dynasty

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Dynasty

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I would play this game no doubt

• NemrexNemrex Registered User regular
    Too bad for the Mariners, it's an even year.

SF GIANTS WORLD SERIES CHAMPS 2016 BABY! WWWOOOOOOOHHH!

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Is...Is this...a real game?

I would play the shit out of this.

zepherin on
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Is...Is this...a real game?

I would play the shit out of this.

Not the last panel, obviously, but the new MLB the Show does include a Conquest Mode in which you attempt to take over a hex-based map of North America using your fans as units (more or less).

cckerberos.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So it's not a lie like NBA2k16's opening cutscene?

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Does Ken Griffey Jr. still play baseball?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Does Ken Griffey Jr. still play baseball?

It could be like Civilization, and each faction is represented by a "greatest hits" list of iconic leaders and members.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    To quote princess Azula after winning a game of beachball.

"YES! We've defeated you for all time! You will never rise from the ashes of your shame and humilation!

...well, that was fun"

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I assume they intentionally picked the one team owned by a video game company.

...or just the Seattle team. Whatever.

YL9WnCY.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Yeah I am 90% sure they just picked the Seattle team and Ken Griffey Jr. is the only player they know, they may even think he still plays there.

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Great comic. I can sense Jerry's great pain at having to write anything adjacent to sports.

And I had no idea the Mariners were owned by NoA. Does Safeco have Wii U/3DS kiosks throughout the concourse? Are there Smash Bros tournaments on the jumbotron? So many questions.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Trogdor6135Trogdor6135 Registered User regular
    I'll start playing sports games when this happens. Even if it's just a Dynasty Warriors re-skin with baseball players.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I really wanted to see the video of this game mode in MLB The Show that Jerry was trying to link to in the newspost but it looks like a link to a video of a VR game instead?

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I really wanted to see the video of this game mode in MLB The Show that Jerry was trying to link to in the newspost but it looks like a link to a video of a VR game instead?
    Try this one?

https://youtu.be/r90EFzfNMXM

It is, indeed, quite bizarre. And pretty cool.

This is like the mode in Madden where you can improve the bathrooms (Oakland really needs it...) and snack bars in your stadiums (to the point of setting prices on nachos). :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Ken second of my name made me crack up.

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    Arpg's are a lot like baseball. You've got player stats, diamonds, the goal seems to be acquiring lots of loot and an addiction to liquid substances is considered just part of the game when it's not outright encouraged.

• manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    For clarification the Mariners are the MLB team from Seattle and Ken Griffey Jr. is probably their most famous player. Griffey has been retired for about 10 years but is being entered into the Hall of Fame this year. Though I imagine they know more about Griffey from the Nintendo Baseball game series.

XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Try this one?

https://youtu.be/r90EFzfNMXM

It is, indeed, quite bizarre. And pretty cool.

This is like the mode in Madden where you can improve the bathrooms (Oakland really needs it...) and snack bars in your stadiums (to the point of setting prices on nachos). :D

just like, what is this

who came up with this

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    For clarification the Mariners are the MLB team from Seattle and Ken Griffey Jr. is probably their most famous player. Griffey has been retired for about 10 years but is being entered into the Hall of Fame this year. Though I imagine they know more about Griffey from the Nintendo Baseball game series.

Don't worry, Ken Griffey Jr. is one of the few baseball players we know outside of America. Him and Darryl Strawberry, Steve Sax, Wade Boggs, José Canseco, Mike Scioscia, Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly and Ozzie Smith.

I guess the only other baseball player anyone outside of America would know is Babe Ruth?

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Showsni wrote: »
    manaleak34 wrote: »

Don't worry, Ken Griffey Jr. is one of the few baseball players we know outside of America. Him and Darryl Strawberry, Steve Sax, Wade Boggs, José Canseco, Mike Scioscia, Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly and Ozzie Smith.

I guess the only other baseball player anyone outside of America would know is Babe Ruth?

Since I know them, those must be all the ones in that Simpsons episode.
    I also know Hank Aaron from Futurama.

YoungFrey on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    baseball is actually very popular many places outside of america! Not so much in europe though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    baseball is actually very popular many places outside of america! Not so much in europe though

Japan, Latin America, the Caribbean. There are probably others I'm unaware of.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    If we want to get technical, baseball is just a stick away from soccer. What other game goes 3hours and is still tied up 0-0...

./instigator

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    If we want to get technical, baseball is just a stick away from soccer. What other game goes 3hours and is still tied up 0-0...

./instigator

Not soccer, which lasts for 90 minutes.

Tube wrote: »

./instigator

And don't Baseball teams often play two full games in a day? Do any other sports do that?

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    And the ball is round.

• HelicaonHelicaon Registered User regular

./instigator

but if it's a tournament, there could be extra time and penalties, so a tedious, non-scoring game could easily go well over 2 hours ... although I suppose at least one penalty has to be scored eventually....

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I mean, no one makes you watch it. Even living in the uk I've been subjected to a total of two games in my life.

I mean, no one makes you watch it. Even living in the uk I've been subjected to a total of two games in my life.

I don't mind football in general, but when two mediocre teams who couldn't even score in a brothel play out a grimly un-entertaining match, the tedium quotient approaches that of cricket, which can go on for 5 days...

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

./instigator

And don't Baseball teams often play two full games in a day? Do any other sports do that?
    A couple of my friends went to Kansas City to see the Royals for a double header. Only apparently the game the night before had gotten rained out, so they had to play that game too.
    And the scheduled double games went into extra innings. Those poor teams ended up playing something like 32 innings of baseball in one day.

steam_sig.png
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

./instigator

Also, there are 90 minutes of actual soccer in a soccer game! Whereas in 3 hours there is only actually 4 minutes of baseball.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular

./instigator

Do other sports have the entire team mostly standing in place for the majority of the game?

jothki wrote: »

./instigator

Do other sports have the entire team mostly standing in place for the majority of the game?

cricket? AND it lasts for five days (if you ignore the new-fangled one-day and 20-20 stuff...)

./instigator

American Football. That is ~17 minutes of action in 2+ hours (I'm not being sarcastic, that is literally how much action the game has).

• jothkijothki Registered User regular

./instigator

American Football. That is ~17 minutes of action in 2+ hours (I'm not being sarcastic, that is literally how much action the game has).

That's at least explainable by all the people involved having sustained repeated head trauma. Baseball has no such excuse.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

./instigator

That's at least explainable by all the people involved having sustained repeated head trauma. Baseball has no such excuse.

No, but that describes the fans.

• SpaceBadgerSpaceBadger Registered User regular
    I know that a baseball-player married, and presumably had sex with, Marilyn Monroe.
    (but I can't remember his name--and I'm really only assuming it was a him, because of the time-frame.).