As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do you all realize there's only 12 days left?

Regicid3 on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh that's right. You can jump on guys with the Mako and they don't die from it. That's something that I hate about the game.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Oh that's right. You can jump on guys with the Mako and they don't die from it. That's something that I hate about the game.

Well, to be fair, if it instantly killed them then you just wouldn't use the turret anymore, you'd run them over all the time. And then it would become a running-mans-over minigame. And then it would suck.

So you can see why they went the 'does some medium damage' route.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

New for the Mako XVR: Aerial Crush Prevention System. Never accidentally crush your squadmates or friendlies again*!

*NOTE: Feature prevents crushing of enemies as well.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought I heard you can run over the small guys but you'd just sort of crash into stuff like the tank size geth.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
    edited November 2007

Well, to be fair, if it instantly killed them then you just wouldn't use the turret anymore, you'd run them over all the time. And then it would become a running-mans-over minigame. And then it would suck.

There was a video where the Mako jumped on a guy about 10 times and when he drove off, the guy got right back up.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Okay, well that's retarded.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    NITS AND QUIBBLES

I WILL INTEGRATE THIS GAME INTO MY CORE BEING

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    you know, I'm going to miss you guys when we all die of extreme malnutrition

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Don't be silly

you won't miss Goomba

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hopefully Assassin's Creed hasn't been pushed back to the 20th like some rumors are saying. Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed on the same day? I'd definitely play Mass Effect first, then when I get tired of that I'd switch to AC. But what if I don't get tired of ME and AC just sits there, untouched...

Jast on
    Jast39.png
    edited November 2007
    Jast wrote: »
    Hopefully Assassin's Creed hasn't been pushed back to the 20th like some rumors are saying. Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed on the same day? I'd definitely play Mass Effect first, then when I get tired of that I'd switch to AC. But what if I don't get tired of ME and AC just sits there, untouched...
    AC is going to be a terrible game because science fiction is the worst genre ever imagined and oh god so terrible.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I like Goomba.

I have no plans to buy Assassin's Creed, and I never have.

What would suck about that situation for me is Rock Band, AC, and Mass Effect releasing on the same day, and me having to bash people with a hammer to make it to the checkout to get my game.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Actually, I'm glad Rock Band is the 20th.

There are rumblings that there may be a midnight release for it. I'd totally show up and pick up Mass Effect, if so.

Houn on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

There was a video where the Mako jumped on a guy about 10 times and when he drove off, the guy got right back up.
    This is a problem that pops up in a lot of games, particularly multiplayer ones.

Planetside and BF2 both had vehicles that were ridiculously maneuverable, and had multiple positions for gunners.

However, in practice, most people just got in the drivers' seat and went off alone, because it was so much easier to just run people over with them than to bother shooting them.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited November 2007
    Yeah but, like, 10 times? Come ooooon.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sam16sam16 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    sam16 on
  • JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    sam16 wrote: »

Oh... damn.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

That video is amazing.

So, is cryogenically freezing yourself expensive? 'Cause otherwise .. it's too long to wait.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    Huh, that's pretty nice. Blatantly not in game, but it's still damn cool. That's the new TV spot, right?

Edit: Actually, that ad gets more and more gorgeous every time I watch it. Thumbs up.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

jesus shit.

That is a good ad.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    Bioware has all but completely denied the possibility of a PC version. You're in for a long wait, with a good possibility of no payoff anyways.

Didn't they say that about KOTOR and Jade Empire, or at least just KOTOR? I thought I remembered Knights as being one of those "this is designed to sell X-Boxes" games, and then of course it came out later on the PC.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Huh, that's pretty nice. Blatantly not in game, but it's still damn cool. That's the new TV spot, right?

That is almost all in-game footage, at least using the engine. That scenario might not be, but it's definitely the Mass Effect engine. The only scene that probably wasn't was the landscape scene with the Geth on the hill.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

That is almost all in-game footage, at least using the engine. That scenario might not be, but it's definitely the Mass Effect engine. The only scene that probably wasn't was the landscape scene with the Geth on the hill.

No, no. The shadows are too smooth and everything's super tweaked and the animations are all definitely made just for that advert. There are limits to how good the ME engine looks.

What they did use were the art assets from the game.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2007
    Man, those guys are dicks.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

No, no. The shadows are too smooth and everything's super tweaked and the animations are all definitely made just for that advert. There are limits to how good the ME engine looks.

What they did use were the art assets from the game.

Well yeah, it was tweaked a little, but through most of it it looked spot on to the game until the very end. It's definitely an impressive looking game. I can't wait!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bioware has all but completely denied the possibility of a PC version. You're in for a long wait, with a good possibility of no payoff anyways.

Didn't they say that about KOTOR and Jade Empire, or at least just KOTOR? I thought I remembered Knights as being one of those "this is designed to sell X-Boxes" games, and then of course it came out later on the PC.

I thought KOTOR was a simultaneous PC release?

In any case BioWare has a seperate franchise in development for PCs (Dragon Age) and since ME is designed to be a trilogy with episodic DLC to bridge the gaps between games it's unlikely you will see a port until the end of the current console generation if ever.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

KotOR wasn't a simultaneous release, but it was known almost from the start that KotOR was going to have a PC version. It's just that the Xbox version came out in July, 2003 and the PC version didn't come out for another five or six months. I can't remember exactly when, but it was out right before Christmas, if I remember right. I remember getting it in early January.

And about an ME PC port, BioWare has never said that the port was impossible and not happening. They have always maintained that it might be possible, but your chances of seeing it in the next five years are very slim. They've always been adamant that they're focusing their attentions on the 360. Even with the purchase by EA, they've said their plans in that regard remain unchanged.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • robcat09robcat09 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

KotOR wasn't a simultaneous release, but it was known almost from the start that KotOR was going to have a PC version. It's just that the Xbox version came out in July, 2003 and the PC version didn't come out for another five or six months. I can't remember exactly when, but it was out right before Christmas, if I remember right. I remember getting it in early January.

And about an ME PC port, BioWare has never said that the port was impossible and not happening. They have always maintained that it might be possible, but your chances of seeing it in the next five years are very slim. They've always been adamant that they're focusing their attentions on the 360. Even with the purchase by EA, they've said their plans in that regard remain unchanged.

If there's one thing EA is known for, it's multi-platform releases. I think BioWare will have to shift their business strategy a bit if EA has anything to say about it. I predict Mass Effect and it's sequels coming to PS3 and PC (why not?). and DS.

robcat09 on
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm not sure EA has the rights to nullify or even alter the exclusivity agreement BioWare made with Microsoft of the trilogy.

It's possible that, once all the games are out, and all the content that is going to be released has been released - assuming EA has full control of the rights to the ME IP - that they will farm out a porting project to some other developers, but I'm pretty doubtful.

Grid System on
    edited November 2007
    I think their plan has been definitively stated, many times now, to be that the Mass Effect franchise is very much 360-focused and Dragon Age is very much PC-focused. That's how they've decided to break down their projects, and it seems decent enough to me.

Edit: And I will say right now, the chances of you seeing it on PS3 are microscopically slim.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2007
    robcat09 wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »

If there's one thing EA is known for, it's multi-platform releases. I think BioWare will have to shift their business strategy a bit if EA has anything to say about it. I predict Mass Effect and it's sequels coming to PS3 and PC (why not?). and DS.

They've said their plans with EA are not to go multi-platform.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Psh. You and your facts. Stop interfering with other people and their uninformed speculation.

Grid System on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, not like it's a bad thing either way. 360 people know they're getting it and if PS3/PC people get it to then more people get to enjoy it. Though, I do understand the whole thing about "perceived value".

Dragkonias on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dont hold out hope for a Mass Effect game on any platform other than 360. Like Gears, Microsoft had those publishing rights sewn up years ago.

Even with Ea owning the IP and the developer, that doesnt mean they get to void any existing contracts, of which Bioware probably made many and why Microsoft is funding the advertising budget.

The_Scarab on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Dont hold out hope for a Mass Effect game on any platform other than 360. Like Gears, Microsoft had those publishing rights sewn up years ago.

Even with Ea owning the IP and the developer, that doesnt mean they get to void any existing contracts, of which Bioware probably made many and why Microsoft is funding the advertising budget.

...but Gears came out on another platform. Actually, Gears came out on PC sooner than it took Jade Empire to come out on PC.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited November 2007
    But this is Bioware.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Bioware?

THIS! IS! MASS EFFECT!

... like and then goomba falls down a well

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Has this been posted yet?

IGN has the very SFW lesbian "sex scene" in their video section:
    Tastefulness, ho!

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

...but Gears came out on another platform. Actually, Gears came out on PC sooner than it took Jade Empire to come out on PC.

Microsoft doesn't seem to consider games coming out on the PC as breaking exclusivity since they still control the platform, more or less, and the only console you can play it on is still the 360.

And BioWare still says that there might be a PC port. They just don't think it will be done any time soon if it happens at all. They're wanting to focus their attentions on things other than ports. Maybe EA will be able to shovel the port job onto a team that isn't at BioWare, who knows?

Either way, it probably won't be showing up on the PS3 or the Wii.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
This discussion has been closed.