As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k - Such is the Emperor's will.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Utsanomiko wrote:
    Does anyone have any idea where I can still get the squad box of Steel Legion guardsmen? I want to use them for my armored fist squad but I can't find them except in blisters.

They're another one of those metal minis that GW seems to be damnably phasing out. Like Stormtroopers and Adeptus Arbites (best I could find of the later on their site was Necromunda's Enforcers, and getting a Kill Team squad of 10 with shotguns would cost me about $65).

Froogle did bring up one online store that was selling SL squad boxes, though if you had asked me earlier I would have suggested sticking with 10 normal troops due to costs.

Well I found a Sgt and a blister of the special weapons in the "old" stuff at my local comic store and they look really nice painted up in my regiment's camo pattern. I just wanted a squad and figured Armor fist is the way to go since there's only 10 men to a chimera.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I've got some old adeptus arbites. Bought them way back just because I liked them so much. I wish they would make some new ones..

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    RalakanRalakan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Utsanomiko wrote:
    Like Stormtroopers and Adeptus Arbites

I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOUR LIES

I <3 my stormtroopers.

or do you mean something besides the kasrkin stormtroopers?

Ralakan on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kasrkins are Cadian grenadiers. Same training, different origin. GW peddles them as Stormtroopers of all varieties now but are not the same thing. Mumble grumble...

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Does anyone have any experience using Simple Green on plastic? Specifically, I'd like to strip this Chimera I got second hand. The first time I tried stripping plastic I used turpentine - boy, was that a 40 dollar learning experience.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    Does anyone have any experience using Simple Green on plastic? Specifically, I'd like to strip this Chimera I got second hand. The first time I tried stripping plastic I used turpentine - boy, was that a 40 dollar learning experience.

Yes I used it on all my armor (1 Leman Russ, a Basilisk, and a Chimera) and 50 plastic guardsmen. It work FABULOUSLY!!

Oh and thanks for that link Utsanomiko. I'm definitely going to have to grab a squad.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Utsanomiko wrote:
    Kasrkins are Cadian grenadiers. Same training, different origin. GW peddles them as Stormtroopers of all varieties now but are not the same thing. Mumble grumble...

I am not familiar. Go on.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ElderCat wrote:
    Utsanomiko wrote:

I am not familiar. Go on.

Original Stormtrooper Sgts
    usacomicbooks_1918_353657896

New "Stormtrooper" Sgt
    usacomicbooks_1918_322406816

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    in other words, they don't look retarded anymore.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    MegaMan001 wrote:

Yes I used it on all my armor (1 Leman Russ, a Basilisk, and a Chimera) and 50 plastic guardsmen. It work FABULOUSLY!!

Oh and thanks for that link Utsanomiko. I'm definitely going to have to grab a squad.

Did you soak them overnight? Any loss of detail on the guardsmen or the tanks themselves?

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    MegaMan001 wrote:

Did you soak them overnight? Any loss of detail on the guardsmen or the tanks themselves?

Yes I soaked them overnight. I made sure there was enough Simple Green to completely cover the models. I used an old toothbrush and some running cold water to wash off the debris. No loss of detail at all. Make sure you use a soft brush though.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    What is Simple Green used for normally? I very much doubt I can find that particular brand here in Swedenland, but I'm willing to look for equivalents.

Echo on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It's a concentrated all-purpose cleaner and degreaser. I found ammonia-based glass cleaners worked nearly as well if you had some time to let them soak and a soft-bristeled brush.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Echo wrote:
    What is Simple Green used for normally? I very much doubt I can find that particular brand here in Swedenland, but I'm willing to look for equivalents.

Seems to be just some kind of all inclusive cleaner / de greaser. They have industrial formula too.

If you go to http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_buy.php there is an option to contact a place that will ship simple green straight to your door too - along with a list of retailers. That should help you out, Echo.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:

Bah, they look like a well-done scupt to me, especially compared to most metals of that time. I prefer the general-use look anyway over pretending all Imperial troops look like Cadians.

inquisitorialstormtroopcm2.jpg

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Well I thought you were talking more about the background. But are you referring to these guys?

IGStormTroopers3.jpg

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    TIE FighterTIE Fighter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ElderCat wrote:
    Well I thought you were talking more about the background. But are you referring to these guys?

Zomg. Eldercat. It's been a long, long time. What's happening?

TIE Fighter on
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Yes - many modellers use Simple Green 'Regular' All Purpose Cleaner for paint stripping; its not retailed in the UK however is available direct from ourselves on-line at http://www.simplegreen.co.uk/buy.htm

Don't forget this product may be used for most cleaning tasks around the home!

Regards,

Gilly Skinner,
    ECS/ Simple Green UK

There may well be a swedish store too.

Afty on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yes - many modellers use Simple Green 'Regular' All Purpose Cleaner for paint stripping; its not retailed in the UK however is available direct from ourselves on-line at http://www.simplegreen.co.uk/buy.htm
    Don't forget this product may be used for most cleaning tasks around the home!
    Regards,
    Gilly Skinner,
    ECS/ Simple Green UK
    Can I just say; for people in the UK looking for something to strip acrylic paint off models, Fairy Power Spray is all kinds of awesome, especially as it only takes five minutes to work...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    Can I just say; for people in the UK looking for something to strip acrylic paint off models, Fairy Power Spray is all kinds of awesome, especially as it only takes five minutes to work...

Ill try that, thanks for the tip

Afty on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [quote=[-o-]]

Zomg. Eldercat. It's been a long, long time. What's happening?[/quote]

ZOMG Bew Bew! Pm sent.
    Echo wrote:
    Here is a chart with a bunch of potential paint removers and how long to use them and what effect they had. The best are: Simple Green, Castrol Super Clean, Brake Fluid, Easy Off Oven Cleaner.
    http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/removingpaint3.htm

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Utsanomiko wrote:
    WHY wrote:

Bah, they look like a well-done scupt to me, especially compared to most metals of that time. I prefer the general-use look anyway over pretending all Imperial troops look like Cadians.

Once upon a time, all Imperial Guardsmen did look like Cadians.

Or rather, the uniform style that we now know as Cadian used to be universal to the entire IG. I actually preferred it that way. With a very few exceptions, I find most of the IG Regiments to look very silly.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Utsanomiko wrote:
    WHY wrote:

Or rather, the uniform style that we now know as Cadian used to be universal to the entire IG. I actually preferred it that way. With a very few exceptions, I find most of the IG Regiments to look very silly.

*insert obligatory 101st Faggotry comment*

MechMantis on
  • Options
    RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So, no real GW stores in my area and I'm trying to pick up paint. If I can't find that Vallejo stuff, would any acrylic paint work all right? I'm not exactly sure what kind of paint the GW stuff is, does not seem to say it anywhere on the packaging.

RazzleDazz on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    RazzleDazz wrote:
    So, no real GW stores in my area and I'm trying to pick up paint. If I can't find that Vallejo stuff, would any acrylic paint work all right? I'm not exactly sure what kind of paint the GW stuff is, does not seem to say it anywhere on the packaging.
    Let me say this before the obligatory Apple-Barrel-suggestion: I would definitely suggest trying to find model-specific acrylics, like Citadel, Vallejo, or Reaper. You can go to a craft store and buy those super cheap bottles, but you get what you pay for.

- Those acrylics are really thick, and require a lot of thinning to use properly.
    - The bottles are not conducive to easy mixing, or saving paint.
    - The paints themselves don't go through the same level of quality control, so you'll notice that one batch of a certain shade will be visible different from another batch sometimes.

Don't dismiss Apple Barrel and the like for certain things--I like to use them for terrain projects, actually, especially the staples like black and grey. But if you have to, I would order online before I used only cheap craft acrylics.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Tamiya makes good acrylic paints. I find they are of better quality than Citadel's in terms of thickness and application, but I'll use them to have specific colors. I only use craft paints for washes or undercoating large areas, as they're rather rough textured.
    ElderCat wrote:

Nope, never seen those before, they must be older than the ones I'm talking about or that Timspork showed.

As much as I'm impressed by the plastic Cadians, they're too clean and modern to represent *every* regiment, and that's my beef with GW selling their grenadiers as universal Stormtroopers, be they Inquisitorial, Schola Progenium-trained, or someone elses' Grenadiers. Also, for the record the metal Cadians were fairly different and I've seen plenty of variety in 2nd Edition Guardsmen artwork.

But oh well. I have no idea when I'll get around to needing to use them or Arbites, but I'd like the option not cut out from under me.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I didn't see this anywhere above about Simple Green, so I thought I'd mention this (sorry if it's a repeat).

At least in the grocery stores in the Chicago area, Simple Green tends to be in the organic section of grocery stores rather than the cleaners section. It's supposedly more earth-friendly than other all-purpose cleaners, so I guess that means it's organic. I can't imagine how earth-friendly it could be if it strips paint, but whatever.

It does work great, though. I was practicing painting a bit on a Tyranid spore bomb thing from the BfM set and must have painted and stripped it 3 or 4 times with no loss of detail (compared to the others in the box that I didn't mess with). I couldn't quite get off all of the paint in the crevices, but it's not like it's caked in there and ruining the detail or anything.

Karilmat on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    MechMantis wrote:
    Utsanomiko wrote:
    WHY wrote:

*insert obligatory 101st Faggotry comment*

Pooftah Brigade?

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    RalakanRalakan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just picked up the new Eldar codex today....oh man.... such love. They only had the new warwalkers and Seer + warlocks in so I didn't get any models... waiting for the new Wraithlord and dire avengers first

I'll finally get to use my fire prism, yay :)

Ralakan on
  • Options
    kf1kf1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So, I think I found a replacement for the Kasrkin to use as stormtroopers for my Inquistion lists:

I'd say these guys are good enough, wouldn't you?

kf1 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Heck yeah, I haven't seen the rules for those models, but they look like STs to me. Their weapons have targeters and an external battery pack to provide the power needed for hellguns, and they are wearing carapace armor. Good Call.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    HektorHektor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i never get tired of people posting those models.

Hektor on
    final.gifDG-1.png
    Morskittar wrote:
    With as much gusto and enthusiasm I can muster: fuck tourney-legal! Tournaments are for Magic players, furries, and child molesters.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hektor wrote:

Those are brand new :)

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just so we're aware, I read a review of the Eldar Dex today, and it looks like we might be returning to the "olol mor liek CHEDDAR" era. Harelquins are fucking disgusting.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ElderCat wrote:
    Heck yeah, I haven't seen the rules for those models, but they look like STs to me. Their weapons have targeters and an external battery pack to provide the power needed for hellguns, and they are wearing carapace armor. Good Call.

Karskins are stormtroopers. Expect the next IG codex to have a Karskin entry instead of a stormtrooper one. Its a name change, possibly due to nazis/lucas/combination of the two.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just so we're aware, I read a review of the Eldar Dex today, and it looks like we might be returning to the "olol mor liek CHEDDAR" era. Harelquins are fucking disgusting.
    Haha, no. Eldar are back to the way they always should have been; incredibly hard hitting but with a glass jaw.
    Consider, the main troops choice (Dire Avengers) costs 12 points for an S3 T3 4+Sv model, with an 18" range gun. A model which won't really come into its own unless you buy expensive upgrades and max out the squad size...
    Also, all those super-hard hitting elites like harlequins cost mucho points for no more than T3...

Seriously, bring heavy bolters or equivalent next time you play Eldar and watch them crumble...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Norgoth wrote:
    ElderCat wrote:

Karskins are stormtroopers. Expect the next IG codex to have a Karskin entry instead of a stormtrooper one. Its a name change, possibly due to nazis/lucas/combination of the two.
    Kasrkins

Also, try playtesting harle's before you make thats statement salvation. They die plenty good.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    HektorHektor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hektor wrote:

well spank me, what am i thinking of, then?

i guess i must have been thinking of the heavy wep. teams that have been posted before. either way, extra hot!

Hektor on
    final.gifDG-1.png
    Morskittar wrote:
    With as much gusto and enthusiasm I can muster: fuck tourney-legal! Tournaments are for Magic players, furries, and child molesters.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hektor wrote:
    Hektor wrote:

well spank me, what am i thinking of, then?

i guess i must have been thinking of the heavy wep. teams that have been posted before. either way, extra hot!

Yup these are the actual Death Korps version of Stormtroopers. All kinds of kick ass. I'm curious as to how the heavy flamer team works.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    Haha, no. Eldar are back to the way they always should have been; incredibly hard hitting but with a glass jaw. [...] Also, all those super-hard hitting elites like harlequins cost mucho points for no more than T3...
    Veil of Tears much? And Conceal? And Fortune? I mean, for, what, twenty-two points we're looking at four S4 I7 Rending attacks per model on the charge. They will fucking devestate shit, and it will not be difficult to get them in combat. And once they're in combat, they can bounce around with Hit and Run (assuming they didn't rape the unit and overrun) and cause wanton chaos in your lines while your other stuff moves up. They are now quite possibly the best close-combat units in the game, once properly kitted.

EDIT: According to the math - and this assumes that you can see them - a Fortune'd Harlequin takes 4 HB shots to kill. That's almost as tough as a Space Marine.

Someone's going to have to check my math on their close combat effectiveness versus MEq, but assuming no one cast Doom, I read it as (4 attacks * 2/3 chance to hit * 1/6 chance to rend = .44 dead) + (4 attacks * 2/3 chance to hit * 1/3 chance to wound (due to rending) * 1/3 failed saves = .3 dead) = approx .75 dead marines per model, * 10 is seven and a half, which means they will eat most Tourney Marine squads on the charge. That's fucking incredible. That's before rerolling wounds due to Doom (which in all honesty probably won't come up often.)

Just... wow. I'm really, really curious how this got through playtesting, and I really hope Harlequin's Kiss costs more than the "four or five or so" points I was quoted.

Salvation122 on
This discussion has been closed.