As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superheroes] By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, what a savings.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, those commercials all came after Iron Man was a gigantic hit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Every hulk commercial had tony stark in it

Also every thor commercial had "is that one of stark's?" and every cap commercial had Erskine saying "mr stark"

As long as we're talking about Cap trailers, I really loved that they had one cut with Steve coming out off the Buff-o-tron shirtless and then immediately a shot of Howard checking him out.

• Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    iirc it was announced way before Iron Man came out that Stark would have a cameo in Incredible Hulk and the movies would be connected

it just wasn't until Iron Man blew up that they started marketing the hell out of his cameo

• Options
    edited April 2016
    iirc it was announced way before Iron Man came out that Stark would have a cameo in Incredible Hulk and the movies would be connected

it just wasn't until Iron Man blew up that they started marketing the hell out of his cameo
    See I remember it being kept hidden which is why people were so blown away by the Nick Fury/Avengers Initiative bit

I can't find anything announcing the cameo but could totally be remembering wrong as it was 8 years ago oh god I am old

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Say hello to THE AMERICAN KAIJU
    tumblr_o57sgngZ7z1sajkn0o2_1280.jpg

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    You know I'm starting to realize I could have just gotten Nick Spencer's Standoff issues and gotten the whole story. Not that the tie ins have been bad per say even with the continuity problems, I'm reading ANAD Avengers monthly anyway, but it's clear the most important story beats belong to Spencer.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I need to know what this is from please

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

The most recent issue of New Avengers

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I hate you so much

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I think if we were to get into a big discussion about the reason for success of certain films and franchises you have to include that intangible, unsung hero - the casting department.

Marvel has had it figured out since its early days, and Fox is now catching on: if you cast people who are in love with the character they're playing, they can't HELP but be great at it. Ryan Reynolds made Deadpool happen almost by sheer will, and he was great. Chris Pratt loves every second of being Star Lord. Tom Hiddleston and Robert Downey Jr love being Loki and Iron Man so much they show up in character to stuff just for fun.

It permeates everything - by all accounts the Avengers actually love being around each other. Agents of SHIELDs cast is almost always just hanging out together. And you can't fake that general like for someone's company, and the real excitement of telling a story you personally are invested in.

Marvel has nailed casting every step of the way (after the initial few films, and they managed to right that ship pretty quickly).

I just don't see anyone in the DC movies with a real fire in there belly for playing any of the characters.

Except maybe Leto but that's for all the wrong reasons.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

WHAT IS THE CONTEXT PLEASE

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

See I remember it being kept hidden which is why people were so blown away by the Nick Fury/Avengers Initiative bit

I can't find anything announcing the cameo but could totally be remembering wrong as it was 8 years ago oh god I am old

I feel like they talked about it but only super nerds knew, even the comic book movie media industry was not the size it is today

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I disagree

I think all of their casting decisions, except maybe Gadot who I am still not sold on and also Luthor because jesus, have been pretty great

It is the direction and writing that is fucking over the actors

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Army tried to make a new Captain America with a cocktail of various super serums including the Lizard formula and gamma radiation.

That happened.

Also the volunteer's name is TODD ZILLER

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Army tried to make a new Captain America with a cocktail of various super serums including the Lizard formula and gamma radiation.

That happened.

This is the best thing I have ever heard

• Options
    The whole Uncanny/ANAD A/Agents of SHIELD Standoff issues feel like they're going on in a whole different story.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Oh rad New avengers has good art now

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

The American military mixed together Gamma rays, Mutant Growth Hormone, Pym particles, and the Lizard formula and shot it all into Corporal Todd Ziller in order to create a weapon to destroy A.I.M./the New Avengers! He is THE AMERICAN KAIJU!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Why hasn't anybody traveled back in time to get the real super soldier formula from erksine

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

That happened.

This is the best thing I have ever heard
    You would like New Avengers

It is crazy comics bullshit by Al Ewing who has quietly become the best writer at Marvel

The cast is: Sunspot, Hawkeye, Songbird, Squirrel Girl, Hulkling, Wiccan, Power Man, (not Luke Cage, Iron Fist's apprentice who can channel ambient chi from environments) White Tiger and Pod.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

good art started with issue 7, I definitely recommend picking up the last few issues

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Why hasn't anybody traveled back in time to get the real super soldier formula from erksine

Practically no one with a vested interest in it has the ability to travel backwards in time.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

The original artist comes back at issue 11.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Whyyyyyyyyy

The original new avengers art looks like those How to Draw manga books you find in the art store discount shelf

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

The original artist comes back at issue 11.

thanks captain raincloud

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Yowza does the status quo for Rebirth's Suicide Squad set up in the April Fools special sound like hot garbage
    Amanda Waller kidnaps and tortures Harley Quinn to the point of further breaking her sanity and making her blame all of her problems on superheroes being "THE REAL BAD GUYS". This is so she will be motivatED for the new Suicide Squad and it's mission statement: killing superheroes.

The roster is Deadshot, Harley, Killer Croc, Katana and Captain Boomerang so it is identical to the movie team as far as people who likely survive.

At least Amanda is looking like her old self again.

Also the issue was announced as being drawn by Jim Lee, who is also drawing the Rebirth series, but he could only do 19 of the 29 pages. So, good luck with that double shipping.

god damnit

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular

Practically no one with a vested interest in it has the ability to travel backwards in time.

And if anyone did, they'd probably get stuck in traffic from the massive time-tube jam of all the guys going back to assassinate Hitler.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options

I feel like they talked about it but only super nerds knew, even the comic book movie media industry was not the size it is today

yeah it was definitely a known thing but comic movies that weren't Spider-Man, X-Men, or Batman were still relatively niche at the time so the news wasn't widely reported

and i know for a fact because i remember the midnight show of Iron Man i went to turned the projector off before the credits finished and everyone in the theater went to the lobby demanding it be turned back on because everyone knew about the Fury cameo

• Options
    Still like Gerardo Sandoval

Totally get why others don't but he works for me

Marcus To is definitely better though

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Oh I'm not saying you can shrug those off at all. Which is why I don't particularly like Snyder. But he does a pretty good job of setting up a visual and an especially good job at worldbuilding. Granted it requires you to buying into that world.

Though I would go to the bat for Dawn of the Dead. Which I actually find to be a good movie and a rare good remake.

I think DC's biggest problem is having him be a producer more than a director to be honest. He can handle an unsubtle story with few moving parts. But once you need subtle stuff or franchise links, you're in an unsteady boat.
    Gustav wrote: »
    Honestly the biggest sin of Snyder films is abysmal pacing/editing. If you got that fixed I think audiences would respond. This thread wouldn't, but general audiences would probably eat that shit up.

This seems like the kind of unnecessary hostility towards audiences before ever releasing or seeing the product that has been a hallmark of Snyder's interviews. And it's honestly a really dumb idea to have trickled down so much. People are going to dislike a movie, sure, but going into the making of that movie with the idea that people will hate it is a self fulfilling prophesy and really bad filmmaking. Building something on the idea that "It's not your father's superheros" is the kind of reasoning that brought us a lot of the 90s over-the-top but ultimately shallow stuff that was only really fixed in the 00s, and is also unnecessarily alienating people who actually like their "father's superheroes".

You can't go into a mass media project planning to alienate parts of the masses, and especially the fan base, and expect to come out with comparable results to people who don't intentionally alienate the masses.

• Options

yeah it was definitely a known thing but comic movies that weren't Spider-Man, X-Men, or Batman were still relatively niche at the time so the news wasn't widely reported

and i know for a fact because i remember the midnight show of Iron Man i went to turned the projector off before the credits finished and everyone in the theater went to the lobby demanding it be turned back on because everyone knew about the Fury cameo
    The Fury Cameo was known about because it got leaked onto YouTube a day or two before the premiere, they didn't announce it ahead of time

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yowza does the status quo for Rebirth's Suicide Squad set up in the April Fools special sound like hot garbage
    Amanda Waller kidnaps and tortures Harley Quinn to the point of further breaking her sanity and making her blame all of her problems on superheroes being "THE REAL BAD GUYS". This is so she will be motivatED for the new Suicide Squad and it's mission statement: killing superheroes.

The roster is Deadshot, Harley, Killer Croc, Katana and Captain Boomerang so it is identical to the movie team as far as people who likely survive.

Also the issue was announced as being drawn by Jim Lee, who is also drawing the Rebirth series, but he could only do 19 of the 29 pages. So, good luck with that double shipping.

god damnit
    I told you!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I very distinctly remember the Fury stinger being posted in the thread before the movie came out and everyone losing their goddamn minds and trying to rehost it as it was getting taken down constantly

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

Hahaha you are not old.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

god damnit
    I told you!

yeah but i wanted to believe

the harley quinn bit is a straight up swipe from the three issue ales kot run that never got to happen, so salt in the wounds there. not the killing superheroes bit, but the amanda waller breaking her down bit.

then there's everything else.

and the worst part is i know i'm still going to read the first trade

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

There has, surprisingly, been no time travel so far in the MCU.

sig.gif
  • Options

The Fury Cameo was known about because it got leaked onto YouTube a day or two before the premiere, they didn't announce it ahead of time

nah there were definitely rumors of Jackson having a cameo waaay before the movie came out

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Swank-And-Jackson-Confirmed-For-Iron-Man-5858.html

• Options
    I mean yeah but rumors about a Sam Jackson cameo is not the same thing as announcing he would be in it ahead of time and also revealing that Hulk and Iron Man are connected

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

No backwards time travel. Both Cap and Bucky "time traveled" by merit of skipping over large swaths of real time.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »

No backwards time travel. Both Cap and Bucky "time traveled" by merit of skipping over large swaths of real time.

Waiting doesn't count as time travel!

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.