As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superheroes] By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, what a savings.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    That's like saying that diamonds are time travelers because they don't degrade if you leave them alone.

This is factually incorrect. Diamonds are made of carbon and their atoms decay and interact with the world like anything else. They just operate on a different time SCALE than we normally observe. Also it's kind of intentionally diverting the conversation because the concept of time travel is meaningless to something that can't conceive of time.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    But bucky was periodically woken up so what is his "biological age"

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    -Tal wrote: »

The sum of all of the time he spent defrosted

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    -Tal wrote: »

Tough to say specifically. It would be a combination of all the time periods he was active, plus probably some degree of additional aging if you assume the freezing/unfreezing process isn't instant and/or takes an additional toll on the body.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I think time travel should involve messing with the space-time continuum somehow, in a way which cryogenically freezing someone explicitly doesn't.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I just want to give you all a noogie

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Actually also this brings up another fun point

since Cap probably wasn't frozen on his birthday, his biological birthday should not be July 4th anymore.

Also he was frozen on a leap year and unfrozen on the year before a leap year, so there's gonna be an additional offset there.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I think time travel should involve messing with the space-time continuum somehow, in a way which cryogenically freezing someone explicitly doesn't.

Why? Even the space-time continuum as a broad concept is just an abstraction we create to help make sense of the world. It always comes back to what systems are interacting. If you calculate, for example, the rate of decay of cells in a body that was cryogenically frozen in the sense we're discussing, that math will look the same as it does on someone who simply disappeared and point A and reappeared at point B.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Sometimes I like comic books and sometimes, sometimes I don't

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options

since Cap probably wasn't frozen on his birthday, his biological birthday should not be July 4th anymore.

Also he was frozen on a leap year and unfrozen on the year before a leap year, so there's gonna be an additional offset there.

This is true. Or, at least, his age would be offset. I imagine he'd still celebrate July 4 because most people prefer to celebrate the calendar anniversary of the day they were born as opposed to their actual aging process itself. Normally that distinction doesn't come up, but here we have it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I'm going to travel back in time to three pages ago and dump all of your books

Also YAY Doctor Strange trailer!

• Options
    Now that I think about it, I really want to see Cap's planner where he has all the important stuff marked out. "Birthday (celebration)", "Birthday (technically)", "Day I was frozen", "Day I was thawed out", "Day I became Captain America".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

This is true. Or, at least, his age would be offset. I imagine he'd still celebrate July 4 because most people prefer to celebrate the calendar anniversary of the day they were born as opposed to their actual aging process itself. Normally that distinction doesn't come up, but here we have it.

Well it comes up for people who were born February 29th. In those cases you kind of have to go to the formal recursive definition of birthday as "365 days after my last birthday, or 366 days after my last birthday if it is a leap year and it is February 29th or later in the year".

So in short you have to celebrate it March 1st.

If you're IDing someone who was born on February 29th and it's February 28th on the year where they're gonna turn 18/21, you should deny them.

But now I'm the pedantic one.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    This wouldn't be an issue if majority came at 16 or 20, which would also be a nice round number that makes sense!

Well, it would be an issue for people born February 29th, 2080 (or 2080, or any XX80 other than 1980 in the case of majority being at 20).

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

Esad Ribic Image title? I'm IN

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

Well it comes up for people who were born February 29th. In those cases you kind of have to go to the formal recursive definition of birthday as "365 days after my last birthday, or 366 days after my last birthday if it is a leap year and it is February 29th or later in the year".

So in short you have to celebrate it March 1st.

If you're IDing someone who was born on February 29th and it's February 28th on the year where they're gonna turn 18/21, you should deny them.

But now I'm the pedantic one.

That's exactly why my grandmother got to celebrate her 50th wedding anniversary at something like 18 years old.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So what I'm taking from this is that sleeping vampires are time travelers.

Lars on
  • Options
    This wouldn't be an issue if majority came at 16 or 20, which would also be a nice round number that makes sense!

Well, it would be an issue for people born February 29th, 2080 (or 2080, or any XX80 other than 1980 in the case of majority being at 20).

God, some super scientist really needs to slightly alter Earth's orbit so we can be free of this nonsense once and for all.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

This is the dumbest question I've ever read.

Of course vampires are time travelers.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Nope.

They still presumably have brain wave activity, and while the aging process is different for them, they're still digesting and processing the blood that grants them their youth.

• Options

Almost, but as far as I know, vampires are still cognizant while sleeping.

Wait, do vampires dream of undead sheep?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

God, some super scientist really needs to slightly alter Earth's orbit so we can be free of this nonsense once and for all.

All told, we're actually kinda lucky that years happen to be so close to accurate to a quarter-day as they are.

Imagine if years were actually 365+pi squared days long

figure that out

sig.gif
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I still love Doctor Who's approach to time travel and continuity. It's frankly impossible to have a strict continuity when you have at least half a dozen time travelling cultures going around and constantly changing things.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yes, Steve and Bucky were each unchanged by the passage of time. But hypothetically, they could have been changed during the passage of time if someone had, like, come up and drawn a dick on their forehead while they were frozen. So even though they were unchanged, they were not actually immune to change from outside forces during their "travel", which...seems central to the concept of actual time travel, in my opinion.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Yes, Steve and Bucky were each unchanged by the passage of time. But hypothetically, they could have been changed during the passage of time if someone had, like, come up and drawn a dick on their forehead while they were frozen. So even though they were unchanged, they were not actually immune to change from outside forces during their "travel", which...seems central to the concept of actual time travel, in my opinion.

So do you also discount any form of non-instantaneous time travel?

Frequently in time travel media, time is seen as being similar to a river that is accessible in a time machine as a form of physical space. Especially when we're talking like, time-traveling vehicles, like the phone booth from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. Events can occur in that non-time period, therefore those aren't time travel?

Straightzi on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Of all the incredibly stupid conversations we've had in this thread I think this might be the most civil?

Well done

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    WACriminal wrote: »

Hmm, this is a good argument, although I've definitely seen more traditional time travel scenarios where the act of actually jumping through time still had an impact on the traveler in some way.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Of all the incredibly stupid conversations we've had in this thread I think this might be the most civil?

Well done

You might say it was a

civil war

sig.gif
  • Options

Well done

You might say it was a

civil war

Okay I was literally just about to make the same joke. Everything else I could forgive, but this is too far.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Say hello to THE AMERICAN KAIJU
    tumblr_o57sgngZ7z1sajkn0o2_1280.jpg

I need to know what this is from please
    The most recent issue of New Avengers

WHAT IS THE CONTEXT PLEASE
    Army tried to make a new Captain America with a cocktail of various super serums including the Lizard formula and gamma radiation.

That happened.

Also the volunteer's name is TODD ZILLER

This is the best thing I have ever heard

No, the best thing you'll have ever heard is how they'll fight it:
    meet Avenger Five

EOjmqqy.jpg

Sunspot had AIM create a Jaeger just for this sort of situation.

And it requires a crew of 6 so I guess it's got a bit of Zord/Voltron thrown in. Teamwork!

• Options
    I know you well, foe.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Well done

You might say it was a

civil war

I could applaud or I could erase you from history

Or maybe both

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That is a premise that appeals to me quite a bit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

Well done

You might say it was a

civil war

Goddammit.

Also, I guess the non-instantaneous time travel argument is a good one. I didn't think about that. However, in those situations, aren't the travelers still (usually) immune to anyone/anything that isn't traveling with them?

• Options

Well done

You might say it was a

civil war

I could applaud or I could erase you from history

Or maybe both

If you destroy Simon, there will be no one left to stop me. You will create a monster greater than what came before.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Say hello to THE AMERICAN KAIJU
    tumblr_o57sgngZ7z1sajkn0o2_1280.jpg

I need to know what this is from please
    The most recent issue of New Avengers

WHAT IS THE CONTEXT PLEASE
    Army tried to make a new Captain America with a cocktail of various super serums including the Lizard formula and gamma radiation.

That happened.

Also the volunteer's name is TODD ZILLER

This is the best thing I have ever heard

No, the best thing you'll have ever heard is how they'll fight it:
    meet Avenger Five

EOjmqqy.jpg

Sunspot had AIM create a Jaeger just for this sort of situation.

And it requires a crew of 6 so I guess it's got a bit of Zord/Voltron thrown in. Teamwork!

I actually like this less? Seems a little forced.

• Options
    Listen I'm this close to being destroyed by my own spawn as it is.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    How so?
    They have actually teased Avenger 5 before and having a giant robot lying around in case of KAIJU attacks is 100% something Sunspot's AIM would do.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I thought you guys would be talking about how crazy good Black Panther #1 and Poe Dameron #1 and the new Black Widow were

Serves me right

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.