As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superheroes] By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, what a savings.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Say hello to THE AMERICAN KAIJU
    tumblr_o57sgngZ7z1sajkn0o2_1280.jpg

I need to know what this is from please
    The most recent issue of New Avengers

WHAT IS THE CONTEXT PLEASE
    Army tried to make a new Captain America with a cocktail of various super serums including the Lizard formula and gamma radiation.

That happened.

Also the volunteer's name is TODD ZILLER

This is the best thing I have ever heard

No, the best thing you'll have ever heard is how they'll fight it:
    meet Avenger Five

EOjmqqy.jpg

Sunspot had AIM create a Jaeger just for this sort of situation.

And it requires a crew of 6 so I guess it's got a bit of Zord/Voltron thrown in. Teamwork!

I actually like this less? Seems a little forced.

Oh sure, THAT'S forced, but transforming a man named Todd Ziller into a kaiju isn't?

(To be clear, given the current thread climate, I think I understand what you mean, just thought the juxtaposition was a little funny.)

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I can't get my comics until next Friday so I hate you all

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I thought you guys would be talking about how crazy good Black Panther #1 and Poe Dameron #1 and the new Black Widow were

Serves me right

Do either of them time travel and/or get frozen in stasis?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I thought you guys would be talking about how crazy good Black Panther #1 and Poe Dameron #1 and the new Black Widow were

Serves me right

How crazy good were they?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options

Freeze yourself?

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I think time travel should involve messing with the space-time continuum somehow, in a way which cryogenically freezing someone explicitly doesn't.

Why? Even the space-time continuum as a broad concept is just an abstraction we create to help make sense of the world. It always comes back to what systems are interacting. If you calculate, for example, the rate of decay of cells in a body that was cryogenically frozen in the sense we're discussing, that math will look the same as it does on someone who simply disappeared and point A and reappeared at point B.

I see your words, but all I'm reading is, "I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt."

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    MMPR # 2 is out and continues the excellent story they've been building for, and also half of it is basically the scene from
    the first TMNT movie where everyone but raph is just chatting while he's getting the shit kicked out of him, but with Tommy.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »

Freeze yourself?
    Mods???

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

Freeze yourself?

freeze yourself in the moment, you own it

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options

Freeze yourself?

Something will just go wrong and he'll thaw out in a future that's just an allegory for a shitty strawman representation of atheism.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options

Freeze yourself?

Mom's spaghetti

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

Freeze yourself?

Mom's spaghetti

your mom will be long dead when you awake from your cryo-sleep. savor her spaghetti while you can

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I think time travel should involve messing with the space-time continuum somehow, in a way which cryogenically freezing someone explicitly doesn't.

Why? Even the space-time continuum as a broad concept is just an abstraction we create to help make sense of the world. It always comes back to what systems are interacting. If you calculate, for example, the rate of decay of cells in a body that was cryogenically frozen in the sense we're discussing, that math will look the same as it does on someone who simply disappeared and point A and reappeared at point B.

I see your words, but all I'm reading is, "I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt."

Is it a Chrome extension?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Freeze yourself?

Mom's spaghetti

your mom will be long dead when you awake from your cryo-sleep. savor her spaghetti while you can

Eat at... Olive Garden?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Freeze yourself?

Mom's spaghetti

Oh no I am being frozen in a Spaghetti Sarcophagus

Spagaphagus

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Freeze yourself?
    Mods???

Oh come on what's the worst that could happen - you overshoot by 65 million years or so and come to find that the surviving civilization doesn't believe you had feathers?

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Army tried to make a new Captain America with a cocktail of various super serums including the Lizard formula and gamma radiation.

That happened.

meet Avenger Five

EOjmqqy.jpg

And it requires a crew of 6 so I guess it's got a bit of Zord/Voltron thrown in. Teamwork!

Oh sure, THAT'S forced, but transforming a man named Todd Ziller into a kaiju isn't?

(To be clear, given the current thread climate, I think I understand what you mean, just thought the juxtaposition was a little funny.)

That's a joke/reference/setup that holds together pretty well. I haven't read New Avengers so I can't speak 100% to this but it doesn't feel like an Avengers solution,
    putting your crew of Teenagers with Attitude into a giant robot is a little too on the nose?

Rainfall on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Gosh

Prince of Cats is just the best comic book

I ain't read it in a while, maybe I'll give it another go

• Options
    I went and made sure I still have my original Vertigo printing of Prince of Cats

B)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I can cancel my plans for a heist.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

That happened.

meet Avenger Five

EOjmqqy.jpg

That's a joke/reference/setup that holds together pretty well. I haven't read New Avengers so I can't speak 100% to this but it doesn't feel like an Avengers solution, putting your crew of Teenagers with Attitude into a giant robot is a little too on the nose?
    They really aren't a "fight giant monsters" kinda roster at the moment
    The only one who could is Pod who is unstable, the only other active members are Sunspot, who is sick and dying, Songbird, Hawkeye, White Tiger and Power Man.

This is an equalizer

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I would personally call what Fry does in Futurama time travel

Its just one way time travel

but if you wanna call it something else thats also fine

Fry also legitimately time travels multiple times over the course of the show, most often to that specific point in time. However, Nibbler also contrasts freezing with time travel, telling fry that the Nibblonians don't have time travel which is why he had to freeze Fry.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Bottom line is,

New Avengers/AIM Island has the sweetest food court around, you do whatever it takes to stop a giant lizard from stepping on it. Powers, robutts, whatever.

• Options
    Giant monsters are just always more rad than giant robots. It's a fact of nature.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I'm surprised by the Image Expo announcements so far

The Esad Ribic book is probably the most high profile creator they've revealed yet

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Giant monsters are just always more rad than giant robots. It's a fact of nature.

Where do giant robot monsters fall on this scale? Does being a monster raise it up, or being a robot drop it down?

• Options
    I'm surprised by the Image Expo announcements so far

The Esad Ribic book is probably the most high profile creator they've revealed yet

I just listened to a podcast of David Brothers interviewing Brandon Graham. And it wasn't said, but I kinda got the feeling that they might try and cultivate new talent over established names. Granted I think they already pretty much have the most established names in some capacity.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

Where do giant robot monsters fall on this scale? Does being a monster raise it up, or being a robot drop it down?

The more you require a human pilot the more uncool you are.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    what if the robot pilots are furries

• Options

What if it has a monster pilot?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Giant Monster > Cyborg Monster > Sentient Giant Robot > Remote Control Giant Robot> Non Human Piloted Giant Robot > Human Piloted Giant Robot.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

What if you have a human pilot but the real monster is man?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    When did the MCU actually start?

I mean I know Iron Man was the first one, but did they had to have not unveiled plans for a big shared universe until at least Hulk came out

I can't imagine they came right out of the gate with "we're gonna make an Iron Man movie and a Hulk movie and a Thor movie and a Captain America movie and then they're all gonna team up" in 2007

They had plans for it early on, but they weren't concrete. Had Iron Man tanked, they would have been up shit creek. (they basically put a lean in the IP and would have lost it if the MCU hadn't been profitable.)
    would not be at all surprised if one of those mystery DC movies is Lobo

considering there's a decent chance Deadpool outgrosses BvS domestically, i would bet WB is trying to fast track their own take on it

I was figuring Suicide Squad 2 (mentioned a few weeks ago) and a solo Batman film.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    what if a sentient giant robot chooses to have a human pilot

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular

Has Godzilla ever piloted a mech?

If no, why not?

• Options
    what if a sentient giant robot chooses to have a human pilot

It is the uncoolest

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.