As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dark Souls 3 has some deep lore

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited April 2016 in Games and Technology
This is dark souls game, through and through.
This is a review:
https://youtu.be/fm6BPWZd8WU

There are frame rate problems, of course.
https://youtu.be/LZ7vfmGC8hc

Starting classes
I879bv0.jpg

Trailers/Videos: Thanks @Fawst !

bQmcirU.jpg
Look at this hat!

(Not my character, obviously)
I can't wait!

DouglasDanger on

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I swear to fucking god that some of these bosses in this game makes me feel like I'm fighting mechs in Armored Core 4 Answers in a mech from Armored Core 1.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Apparently one of the bugs is that if you're wearing certain robes and take certain actions your bare ass clips through the robe and moons the camera.

god yes

nsfw link in spoiler

Yesssss

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I swear to fucking god that some of these bosses in this game makes me feel like I'm fighting mechs in Armored Core 4 Answers in a mech from Armored Core 1.

I fucking loved ac4a (which was also a miyazaki joint)

but uh, god damn that sounds sucky

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Naphtali wrote: »

I fucking loved ac4a (which was also a miyazaki joint)

but uh, god damn that sounds sucky

Just raging a little that my usual 'stab em with the pointy end' isn't working to well with a particular boss.

Casually Hardcore on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    This is dark souls game, through and through.

There are frame rate problems, of course.
    https://youtu.be/LZ7vfmGC8hc

PC/PS4 seem pretty comparable. I'll probably grab it on the PS4 since my PC is a few years old. One thing the framerate review doesn't show is the game in motion, in action.

A few people have reported that the framerate became so bad at a particular boss that the game crashed. I haven't dug into it too much because of spoilers, but that is concerning. Bloodborne was mostly fine, but there were a few areas where it got pretty choppy--also, I played it a year after release, after they had patched some of the bigger fr issues along with the terrible load times.

I'm going to probably wait a few weeks before I grab DS3, just to get a better idea of the performance.

I still have to beat SotFS, but I don't know if that's going to happen at this point.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    FROM, pls. That's not a soldering-iron.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I've never really had an issue with framerate playing Bloodborne, other than with goddamn Laurence in the DLC; presumably rendering his hair AND the constant flames + lava was just a bit too much for the engine. Otherwise there would be dips, but nothing that felt like it affected my play.

That said, it does sound as though this is a bit more dire if the framerate can drop so low that the game crashes out of shame.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    there's a few spots in old yharnam and the bridge to upper cathedral ward that have noticeable frame rate issues, the latter being the worse offender

but to be fair I only played the game several months post release so it may have been worse then

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    there's a few spots in old yharnam and the bridge to upper cathedral ward that have noticeable frame rate issues, the latter being the worse offender

but to be fair I only played the game several months post release so it may have been worse then

I remember Yharnam being pretty bad, yeah, but it never became unplayable. It didn't look great, but it was manageable.

The rest of the game was basically fine, I agree.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So it seems like they really thought through the matchmaking limitations this time around.

The weapon upgrade level matchmaking includes your inventory, so you won't be invaded by anybody who has a weapon that's more upgraded than your best one. However, this also applies to friendly summons, so you can't see summon signs for people with +6 weapons when yours is only a +5 for example. You can still summon friends using password in that case, but their weapon gets scaled down to match yours. One downside is that putting items in a box or upgrading a weapon then destroying it still sticks you in the bracket. So if you upgrade a weapon to like +5, you're in that bracket now, though I think the guy said you could sell the weapon and get out of it.

Also, when phantoms drop things on the ground, you won't even see them if they are a weapon that's more upgraded than your highest, or upgrade materials.

Also saw a comment that using dried finger does open you back up for invasions even after a boss is dead in an area, so that will fix the concern of people not being able to do fun invasion hotspots all around the world late game.

Joshmvii on
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yesssss, good news there.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to running through the game with a low soul/equipment level character and doing some lowbie PvP in style.

Deans on
  • dalith14dalith14 Registered User regular
    My body is so ready!

So match making is two part now?

Are +5 boss-weapons considered +10?

So match making is two part now?

Yeah, matchmaking is based on SL and also highest upgraded weapon in your inventory. It's an actual good solution to twinking, because now a more experienced SL1 player can invade you at the beginning of the game, but their weapon can't be upgraded more than yours, so no +15 weapon invaders killing you in undead burg like in DS1.

Only thing I can think of is that low SL twinks can still go through the game to get weapon buff spells and what not and put them on their +0 weapons and try to abuse newbies, but then again, every spell has FTH/INT requirements now, so they'll have to invest at least enough SL into being able to use them.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Can someone explain to me wtf the various numbers mean on the focus column here http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Ultra+Greatswords

I know there's a focus cost but the formatting here is awful and doesn't explain what the multiple numbers are for.

edited April 2016
    DouglasDanger on
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how i feel walking around with my butt exposed in a Souls game.

Zunde wrote: »
    I'm not sure how i feel walking around with my butt exposed in a Souls game.

You can't walk.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Can someone explain to me wtf the various numbers mean on the focus column here http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Ultra+Greatswords

I know there's a focus cost but the formatting here is awful and doesn't explain what the multiple numbers are for.

I think the first is focus, the second is stamina cost, if you are out of focus.

I saw a Moonlight-clip with "weapon at risk" once.

There's some goofy shit on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/PCQ77dDOMxA

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Finally beat
    Dragonslayer Armour
    on my strength character. Dang old thing was much harder with a slow weapon.

Now getting my teeth kicked in over and over and over again by
    the storm king.
    Loving it.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Beat my second Lord of Cinder...
    Yhorm the Giant. Total gimmick fight, but in an interesting way I kind of consider the Profaned Capital itself the "boss". Most of the enemies there are a serious PITA, and can kill you very fast.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    There's some goofy shit on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/PCQ77dDOMxA

Hmm, some fun kills and some lame flaily sword-kills. Sword into hammer is funny. Hammer into sword looks v panicky.

I love the goofy music in that PvP vid.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Well this is random.

Bamco Aussie event... The views are telling of either the hour, or people being angry at them.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »

I think the first is focus, the second is stamina cost, if you are out of focus.

Thank you!

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Dark Souls trolling is the best.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Was it DS1 or DS2 where people who were playing before release date got invaded by overpowered gravelords?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    It was people playing the japanese version of DS1 before it released. Fromsoft invaded them with maxed out stat red phantoms.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Bet you some people still managed to kil one .

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

this is incorrect

@DemonStacey

X(Y/Z)

X = L2 attack or stance, if an attack it must be followed by the Y = R1, Z = R2

So a sample focus reading 10(5/7)

I hit L2 to do a swing and lose 10 focus. I follow with R2 and do an upward stab for another 7 focus.

A lot of weapons with stances are -(5/10) in which case the stance is free and the moves from the stance are 5 or 10 focus respectively.

Now you know. You cannot do focus attacks without focus.

OnTheLastCastle on

this is incorrect

DemonStacey

X(Y/Z)

X = L2 attack or stance, if an attack it must be followed by the Y = R1, Z = R2

So a sample focus reading 10(5/7)

I hit L2 to do a swing and lose 10 focus. I follow with R2 and do an upward stab for another 7 focus.

A lot of weapons with stances are -(5/10) in which case the stance is free and the moves from the stance are 5 or 10 focus respectively.

Now you know. You cannot do focus attacks without focus.

Mah hero!

Thanks so much mang.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    This game has a lot of faith weapons. Or at least they require faith to use.

• 101101 Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of maybe starting as a thief, since you get a bow and some high luck for drops.

If you're doing just a standard sword & board character what are the stats to beef up, VIT, VIG, END, STR/DEX and maybe luck?

edited April 2016
    101 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of maybe starting as a thief, since you get a bow and some high luck for drops.

If you're doing just a standard sword & board character what are the stats to beef up, VIT, VIG, END, STR/DEX and maybe luck?

Why use luck? Just kill the enemy again. Item discovery is pointless and each point in luck appears to move it up one... from 109 to 110... not exactly tearing up the charts. It is also bugged currently, I heard. With 8 or 9 luck, I couldn't get guys to stop dropping stuff for me.

You can infuse a weapon to scale off it eventually at least.

Luck is by far the worst stat.

OnTheLastCastle on
    Seems to me like how good luck is going to be is going to depend entirely on how well bleed/poison weapons work in pvp, because item discovery alone is not going to make it worth investing in. At least they wisely added respecs like DS2 so people who want to experiment with luck can spec out of it if it doesn't work the way they want.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Oh my god. So we still have Lloyd's talismans for disabling Estus, but there's also a new talisman that disables buffs. Thank you, From.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Seems to me like how good luck is going to be is going to depend entirely on how well bleed/poison weapons work in pvp, because item discovery alone is not going to make it worth investing in. At least they wisely added respecs like DS2 so people who want to experiment with luck can spec out of it if it doesn't work the way they want.

That depends on how easy it is to punish someone who tries to eat Moss. In ds2 at least, with the combat lag from fighting someone on the other side of the planet, it was possible to start and finish eating moss before an opponent ever saw that you were trying to eat Moss. You could eat that stuff way too fast.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012