As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Enter the Gungeon: That's when I reach for my revolver

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
hOukWwf.gif

Enter the Gungeon is a Roguelike or Roguelite or whatever the hell we're calling these games nowadays by Dodge Roll. It's very similar to the Binding of Isaac, with the general progression being the same: you clear rooms, kill a floor's boss, and repeat on succeeding floors until you get to the final boss. An entire playthrough takes maybe an hour, but the replayability is deep due to the randomized items, floor layouts, boss encounters, and unlocks that add more stuff to the game. The game also features permadeath, so once you die you have to start over. As common in these games, there are also multiple characters with different starting items that encourage different playstyles.

Gungeon differs from Isaac in that it's more focused on shooting and skilled play over hoping you get an overpowered combination of items that lets you steamroll the game. You have a dodge roll button that gives you invulnerability frames, along with a limited number of blanks on each floor that destroy bullets and knock back enemies. Rather than altering one weapon with passives, there's also more emphasis on amassing a ton of varied guns with different properties, and carefully managing ammo between encounters. The game is also particularly stingy with health pickups, and the only reliable way to increase your max HP is to defeat a boss without taking a hit. So yeah, it's a bit harder. Also, instead of stale memes and dead baby jokes, the game has gun puns. Gungeon also has local co-op, and even a few items specific to that mode.

Here are hot tips for novice Gungeoneers.
  • The Ammonomicon describes item functions, enemies, and so forth. It's not exact numbers, but it should give you an idea of what something will do so you don't waste it or hurt yourself.
  • It's better to save blanks for bosses as beating them flawlessly nets a heart container.
  • Many guns do not have perfect accuracy and will spread like a normal gun. Take this into consideration when attacking distant enemies.
  • Ammo can be a very precious resource, and it may behoove you to stick with your starter weapon (has infinite ammo) when you can afford to do so. You really don't want to be stuck fighting a boss with a bad weapon.
  • Rolling away from a bullet is more likely to damage you, as only the first half of the dodge animation makes you invulnerable. If you dodge away from a bullet, it is very likely you will waste the i-frames as the bullet catches up to you, only for it to hit you once you are in the vulnerable latter half of the dodge.
  • Rooms can spawn additional enemies once the initial batch have been cleared out. You know a room is cleared when currency starts flying towards you, but traps are still active.
  • You get new blanks with each floor, so don't let them go to waste.
  • Chests can be shot for a chance at random drops if you lack a key. However it's best to finish the whole floor before doing so, as rooms and the boss have a chance to drop them.

The game is out on Steam for $14.99 and also a collector's edition for like ten bucks more that includes a comic, soundtrack and gun unlock.

Have a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYpSoiNdrZw

If you need gameplay, here is Northernlion doing a playthrough. Intentionally short to minimize spoilers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED2vxYv1QA4

YL9WnCY.png

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    This is a pretty rad game that is totes kicking my behind right now. The pacing feels a tad slower than Nuclear Throne and I think that's kind of throwing me a bit.

And I'm calling them roguelike-likety-likelike-likers-likes nowadays.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I *really* like this game so far, but dislike when roguelikes basically don't start you out with what you need or seed it for basic gameplay. My experience so far is If you don't get another gun on the first floor you might as well restart. Otherwise you will spend 10 minutes trying to kill the boss, and the next floor begins as a slog. I guess the characters with 2 guns are supposed to help with this, but I find the advantages of the single gun characters are much more useful to pass up, and the second gun on those other characters are not great.

Binding of isaac kind of does this, but its so fast to find the first item room/boss its of no consequence to restart. This game takes significantly longer and it feels worse for it. Maybe if the peashooters hit slightly harder or something, I really can't tell what else would 'fix' it. Right now most rooms on the first level are:
    *stand still, unload on enemy*
    *side step one bullet*
    *wait forever to reload*
    *repeat until room clear*

steam_sig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Man I love this game and am having a lot of fun. It will be even better once I have a machine that runs it above 15 FPS, especially the really bullet hell specific bosses that really tank my frame rate. Even with this, I STILL love this game and will give it my highest praise. It's great fun, the lore is weird but oddly compelling (???) and the mechanics are simply top notch. This is such a fun game and the huge number of secrets plus stuff to find makes me so happy.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Having a lot of fun with this one. NL sold it so well, i actually got Da to pick me up a US psn card so i could pick it up right quick, instead of waiting for the dubious possibility of J-side localization (though i will note, there does seem to be a fairly robust number languages supported right out of the gate).

The only thing i'm not really liking is the Blank being mapped to L3+R3. i tend to be a bit hard on the directional sticks when moving/aiming and i am forever blowing blanks when i'm not intending to.

Still, yeah, this is a good 'un.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I think Nuclear Throne's ruined me for satisfying gun noises, but this is pretty good times otherwise. I'm gonna have to mess with keyboard controls though, probably map Use/Table Flip to spacebar.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Picked this up on PS4 and yup, it's pretty fucking great. That basically goes without saying any time the Devolver Digital label is attached to something though. That company spins pure gold with their stable of indy developers.

I'm enjoying it more than Nuclear Throne, I think because it's a little more methodical feeling. I'm also greatly enjoying the gun themed everything. It's got a really greath aesthetic.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Some stuff-

I haven't run across a gun I absolutely hate yet
    These gun puns are great
    automatic weapons seem better against bosses while aoe seems better against enemies.
    I really need to stop rolling away from bullets.

Some secret stuff!-
    Pushing a water barrel into the fireplace puts it out on the first stage go in, press the switch and take two keys to the secret grate.
    If you can't move a water barrel the barrel of fish will put out the fire
    There's secret rooms! Shoot walls with non starter guns and if it cracks use a blank.
    I don't think you can kill the shop keeper he has a reflector shield like Ser Manuel
    Drop guns for the gun in the sewer grate and he'll give you shells for them
    The vampire girl sells stuff at a discount but you get cursed when you buy from her.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Some stuff-

I haven't run across a gun I absolutely hate yet
    These gun puns are great
    automatic weapons seem better against bosses while aoe seems better against enemies.
    I really need to stop rolling away from bullets.

Some secret stuff!-
    Pushing a water barrel into the fireplace puts it out on the first stage go in, press the switch and take two keys to the secret grate.
    If you can't move a water barrel the barrel of fish will put out the fire
    There's secret rooms! Shoot walls with non starter guns and if it cracks use a blank.
    I don't think you can kill the shop keeper he has a reflector shield like Ser Manuel
    Drop guns for the gun in the sewer grate and he'll give you shells for them
    The vampire girl sells stuff at a discount but you get cursed when you buy from her.

The Unfinished gun kinda sucks a turd. Also the sail boat gun is not so good. Maybe useful on a crowded room. I did find a lower case r that fires the word "bullet" with an announcer saying the word too. that was neat.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Watched LethalFrag play this yesterday. Looks like fun. I may have to pick it up.

The only thing i'm not really liking is the Blank being mapped to L3+R3. i tend to be a bit hard on the directional sticks when moving/aiming and i am forever blowing blanks when i'm not intending to.

You can remap blanks. I have them on O on the PS4 controller.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Bless you for making this thread. Bless you. :D

Like I said in the Steam thread: someday I'll be able to consistently make it to Floor 3. Someday.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    The trailer really makes me want to try this. Has there been any word if it will make its way to Xbox one?

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Super neat game. Looking forward to playing more tonight. Lots of excellent stylish touches, tons of polish on this game.

Also, unexpected Memento reference.

Protip: Roll over small slimes to kill them. Better than wasting ammo. In fact, your dodge roll actually does damage to enemies that aren't slimes.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Gungeon differs from Isaac in that it's more focused on shooting and skilled play over hoping you get an overpowered combination of items that lets you steamroll the game. You have a dodge roll button that gives you invulnerability frames, along with a limited number of blanks on each floor that destroy bullets and knock back enemies. Rather than altering one weapon with passives, there's also more emphasis on amassing a ton of varied guns with different properties, and carefully managing ammo between encounters. The game is also particularly stingy with health pickups, and the only reliable way to increase your max HP is to defeat a boss without taking a hit. So yeah, it's a bit harder. Also, instead of stale memes and dead baby jokes, the game has gun puns. Gungeon also has local co-op, and even a few items specific to that mode.

Was it really so necessary to crap on Isaac like this? Gungeon is fun and good and all but so is Isaac. And it's been around for five years so ripping on its "stale memes" is a little silly.

Reddaye wrote: »
    Protip: Roll over small slimes to kill them. Better than wasting ammo. In fact, your dodge roll actually does damage to enemies that aren't slimes.

There's also an armor of thrones item that increases your roll damage. I need protips for Lead Maidens... "use your damn blanks!" is probably the best tip, but I can't stop wasting them because "I have a good feeling about this wall!". On the rare occasion I keep myself from wasting them, I'm afraid of using them on anything but a boss...

I actually haven't gotten a single roll damage item yet.

Lead Maidens suck. They suck hard. Some rooms they're not so bad, but rooms that luck decent cover they're a 100% blank eater for me. There is a method for their bullets when they come off the walls: they always head to where you were when they released. It can get SUPER hard to track everything depending on what else is happening around you though.

For those who don't know, blanks also act as bombs in this game. So they blow open secret rooms. The economy for blanks is very interesting.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    The Glacier is easily the most over powered gun for bosses that I've seen yet. It's amazingly good.
    Shoots blocks of ice that do good damage, freeze, AND erase enemy bullets.

• MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Any KBAM users out there play around with the key bindings at all? Or should I really be giving a controller a shot? The mouse cursor feels a touch laggy anyway, but I pretty much suck at twin-sticks that require you to actually aim.

I really don't like Q, E, and space. Kinda considering mouse buttons as alternatives. I've got forward and back buttons on my mouse, and could probably live with space.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I *really* like this game so far, but dislike when roguelikes basically don't start you out with what you need or seed it for basic gameplay. My experience so far is If you don't get another gun on the first floor you might as well restart. Otherwise you will spend 10 minutes trying to kill the boss, and the next floor begins as a slog. I guess the characters with 2 guns are supposed to help with this, but I find the advantages of the single gun characters are much more useful to pass up, and the second gun on those other characters are not great.

Binding of isaac kind of does this, but its so fast to find the first item room/boss its of no consequence to restart. This game takes significantly longer and it feels worse for it. Maybe if the peashooters hit slightly harder or something, I really can't tell what else would 'fix' it. Right now most rooms on the first level are:
    *side step one bullet*
    *wait forever to reload*

I'm of the same opinion. While I haven't spent a ton of time with the game yet, what I have spent has left me feeling like it would be almost perfect if the first level had a guaranteed gun drop in the first room.

I don't like the music as much as nuclear throne, but the stellar pixel art of the enemies more than makes up for that.

Dark_Side on
    I tried rebinding some things like reload to my numbers keys (since I have a Naga mouse), but it seems I can't unbind weapon slots from the number keys...soooo I had to go back to the default set up. Blanks on Q is a major issue for me...and reloading isn't much better. If I need to take my hands off the movement keys in this game it almost always fucks me in the heat of a boss battle.

Speaking of boss battles...if I get the Beholster as my second boss, I may as well just reset at the moment. Gorgun and Ammoconda I have pretty reasonably down pat, but Beholster just wrecks me every time. Need to get a handle on his patterns...although I think the eyes he summons are what screw me up.

• MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Reddaye wrote: »
    I tried rebinding some things like reload to my numbers keys (since I have a Naga mouse), but it seems I can't unbind weapon slots from the number keys...soooo I had to go back to the default set up. Blanks on Q is a major issue for me...and reloading isn't much better. If I need to take my hands off the movement keys in this game it almost always fucks me in the heat of a boss battle.

Speaking of boss battles...if I get the Beholster as my second boss, I may as well just reset at the moment. Gorgun and Ammoconda I have pretty reasonably down pat, but Beholster just wrecks me every time. Need to get a handle on his patterns...although I think the eyes he summons are what screw me up.

Yeah, blanks on Q is awful. Just awful.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I'm thoroughly enjoying NL's playthrough of this - hopefully it has the same legs as some of his longer-running stuff (if not the 309263 episode behemoth that is Isaac) so I can watch the gradual discovery / unlock / skill progression.

I might eventually buy it to support the devs, but this has all the trappings of a game I enjoy seeing played but wouldn't actually enjoy sitting through - too twitch shooter for me and I'd never progress very far.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

You can remap blanks. I have them on O on the PS4 controller.

Yup, just noticed that this morning... of course, now instead of wasting my blanks, i just forget to use them... but i think that'll be an easier habit to break.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    You can remap any of the controls on kbam or controller. Check options as always.

edited April 2016
    I need to find a better spot on the controller for blanks, because the double sticks just aren't working in a pinch when I need them.

In other news, I just went 23 runs in a row as Pilot without getting a single gun in any of the first chests I opened. So I had a bunch of short, brutal failures against the first bosses multiple times because trying to kill them with just the starter pistol is a nightmare. Then I switched to Hunter and got a laser sight and then an AK47 right off the bat. Honestly though, I get that "RNG will RNG" but it's immensely frustrating to be screwed before you even begin in this game.

Honestly, the RNG needs to be manipulated a bit so that you have a really high chance of always getting a gun in the first chest you open. It might suck balls, but it should always be the case. If you don't get a gun on your first couple of chests, you might as well just restart unless the shop has something cheap enough to buy.

And protip for the first secret area: You can roll water barrels through doors.

Aegeri on
    Woo, best run yet! Finished the first floor and beat The Bullet King without taking damage. Collected some decent guns and an invincibility potion item and beat the gorgun. Also rescued the acquisitions merchant. Was doing ok on the third floor with only half a heart and an armor piece, but I died trying to figure out a bottomless pit minecart platform section... Making progress though!

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Man, I was on fire. Best run I've done so far...which means beating the second boss. I got to level 3 with five FULL health bars and some decent guns.
    Then I got to the tank boss, who I'd never fought, and he DESTROYED me. It was a sad display. Barely dented the guy.
    I also had a gold key I didn't get to use. No idea what it does but I'm sure it was something good!

How does one unlock the shop where you can spend those credits bosses drop?

Thats most likely what that key you had was for. Theres a woman and a big robot guy locked in a cell. They should be on the same floor you find the key.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Thats most likely what that key you had was for. Theres a woman and a big robot guy locked in a cell. They should be on the same floor you find the key.

Ah man, I must have overlooked a room somehow, nooooo.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

*side step one bullet*
    *wait forever to reload*

I'm of the same opinion. While I haven't spent a ton of time with the game yet, what I have spent has left me feeling like it would be almost perfect if the first level had a guaranteed gun drop in the first room.

I don't like the music as much as nuclear throne, but the stellar pixel art of the enemies more than makes up for that.

Well there are a few characters that literally do exactly that. You give up something in exchange for that perk, but character traits don't matter as much later on anyway.

This game could very much use the Ziggurat system of giving you a free gun on the first floor. Remove one of the two first floor chests, and have a random gun appear in a room. That would help alleviate some of the starting woes that are regularly encountered when you either get no guns from the chests, or no keys to open them with/no shop stock.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Well, I caved and bought this. Made it to chamber 4 on my first attempt. Didn't even take red heart damage until chamber 3. Things definitely get real around 4, though.

EDIT: Sadly, I have not been able to replicate the feat in subsequent runs. Beginner's luck, I guess.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Well, I caved and bought this. Made it to chamber 4 on my first attempt. Didn't even take red heart damage until chamber 3. Things definitely get real around 4, though.

EDIT: Sadly, I have not been able to replicate the feat in subsequent runs. Beginner's luck, I guess.

So far I can only beat one of the bosses I've found at the end of the first floor. That was the first one I encountered so encountering the others was a rude awakening.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    I don't think the gold key is guaranteed to have a cell on the same floor, or vice versa. So you'll just have to keep trying, but it's not really that critical and you can save up the currency you're getting.

The gold key room I think is always on the same floor, but it CAN be in a secret room I've discovered.

Also protip: Do NOT ignore the tutorial, because there is a secret room in there and if you find it, then talk to the Ghost at the end, you can unlock a special boss fight.

Are there any predictors of where secret rooms are like in Isaac?

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    One problem is that the items all seem to affect having An Actual Gun. Like I got an item that will stick a dude near the entrance to secret rooms. Great!...except I still need An Actual Gun to get in there.

I did find a shrine with a damage up buff at the cost of a health container, but I was killing even the regular enemies in the same number of hits so [sad trombone]. I think the main thing is that the shop should have an affordable gun available, and you should be able to afford it by clearing the floor. When all that's left is the boss room, I shouldn't be incapable of buying a $30 gun.

YL9WnCY.png
    One problem is that the items all seem to affect having An Actual Gun. Like I got an item that will stick a dude near the entrance to secret rooms. Great!...except I still need An Actual Gun to get in there.

You get into secret rooms via explosive damage or using a blank. I don't even think you need to be near it when you use a blank, if there is a secret room there and you use a blank in there it will be revealed.

But I do agree that shops should either always have a basic tier gun for sale or the first chest should always have a gun in it. I've had lots of good secondary items, but if you don't get a gun you're plain fucked. Then again, I've also had an M16 pop from my first chest and dear gods. I mean the Ammoconda don't want none unless you've got an M16 hun. Best 2nd level boss perfect EVER.

Protip: Unlock the M16 ASAP.