As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dark Souls 3 has some deep lore

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    What's that Moss do?

I see people eating it in PvP vids, but I can't read Japanese.

DouglasDanger on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Deans wrote: »
    Oh my god. So we still have Lloyd's talismans for disabling Estus, but there's also a new talisman that disables buffs. Thank you, From.

Considering what people have been saying about magic damage being pretty nerfed, that seems like a heavy blow to casters on top of existing blows. Then again, I don't think I've seen Estus being disabled in the pvp videos I've seen so far so I have no idea how consistently either will be used.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Are there any vods out there that give a good sense of some of the weapon arts? My googling hasn't turned up too much and the Dark Souls wiki isn't too fleshed out in that respect.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Seems to me like how good luck is going to be is going to depend entirely on how well bleed/poison weapons work in pvp, because item discovery alone is not going to make it worth investing in. At least they wisely added respecs like DS2 so people who want to experiment with luck can spec out of it if it doesn't work the way they want.

That depends on how easy it is to punish someone who tries to eat Moss. In ds2 at least, with the combat lag from fighting someone on the other side of the planet, it was possible to start and finish eating moss before an opponent ever saw that you were trying to eat Moss. You could eat that stuff way too fast.

I wouldn't count on it being easy to punish. Estus drinking comes out FAST in DS3, plus dodge rolls cost a very low amount of stamina, so you can easily roll away like a maniac and get an opening to heal, and I'd assume using a moss or whatever probably comes out just as fast as estus.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    What's that Moss do?

I see people eating it in PvP vids, but I can't read Japanese.

I'm referring to the moss item in dark souls 2 that cures poison. I presume that dark souls 3 has an equivalent, if not identical consumable.

There is also another plant, whose name I forget, that everyone refers to as "grass". It boosts stamina regeneration rate temporarily and might be the consumable that you're seeing people use.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    edited April 2016
    Deans wrote: »
    Oh my god. So we still have Lloyd's talismans for disabling Estus, but there's also a new talisman that disables buffs. Thank you, From.

Considering what people have been saying about magic damage being pretty nerfed, that seems like a heavy blow to casters on top of existing blows. Then again, I don't think I've seen Estus being disabled in the pvp videos I've seen so far so I have no idea how consistently either will be used.

It's generally the non-casters who use buffs the most.

Edit:
    @joshvmii
    That's why I personally expect poison to be dead on arrival. Poison builds sacrifice damage up front to get huge damage over time. Damage that never happens when they can cure poison with a snap of the fingers.

Fast estus can be worked around. You can suppress it with Lloyd's talismans, and they will only have a few estus charges at best. But I expect that we'll reach a point where it is common for anyone who is serious about pvp to literally have a maxed out stack of moss.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Are there any vods out there that give a good sense of some of the weapon arts? My googling hasn't turned up too much and the Dark Souls wiki isn't too fleshed out in that respect.

There's a couple of Youtuber things...

https://youtu.be/BA5TOh1OwtM

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The only weapon art you need: Uchigatan's fuck you charge.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited April 2016

The CPU thing is a bit worrying, but it only seems to come up in a couple of areas. Nice to know that a 970 can push it at 1440p while maintain 50-60 frames. Means on my 980 Ti I should be able to use a super sampled resolution and still get 60.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I have no doubt poison builds probably won't be legit in DS3, just because A) with phantoms able to use estus too, it's harder to whittle people down, and B) the TTK seems fairly low anyway, so I think people will just stick to regular weapons.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

There's a couple of Youtuber things...

https://youtu.be/BA5TOh1OwtM

Cool thanks. This dude's channel has a bunch of different weapon showcases. Looks like a lot of weapons retain the same arts across type (e.g., the straight swords I looked at had the same or very similar arts). That's a little disappointing.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    There's like 200+ weapons in DS3, so there was no chance there weren't going to be a lot of shared weapon arts. There are still a lot of different ones though which is cool.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    A lot of the late/endgame weapons have some pretty sweet (looking, haven't tried most in actual combat because I don't really want to level 'em) arts.

It's actually one of the minor problems I have with the souls games. I almost always pick a weapon at the start and stick with it forever.And there are some sweet weapons you can find real early. You pretty much have to pry the early
    dark axe
    out of my dang hands.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    What you describe is why IMO the ideal "first build" in Souls games is 40/40 quality, because it means you can try out every weapon you pick up and just switch to whichever one seems cooler than the last, though you might run out of upgrade materials if you switch too much.

I mean, I don't personally do that, but that's because I usually know what I'm going for on a build before I start anyway. Like my first char on DS3 will be a STR/FTH Paladin using a claymore, and the only thing that'll make me change weapons will be if there's a sweet boss weapon or something like the Defender's Greatsword from DS2 that's just tailor made for my build.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    This is probably the first game that I actually double dipped on before its official release....

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    As someone who is going to buy this but has not played any Souls game besides Bloodborne, is there any classes that I should maybe avoid? I'm really liking the idea of dual wielding scimitar mercenary up there, but Thief could be a very different playthrough.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Like Bloodborne, Classes are just a set of stats and starting equipment. So you can mold any class into the playstyle you want.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited April 2016
    never die wrote: »
    As someone who is going to buy this but has not played any Souls game besides Bloodborne, is there any classes that I should maybe avoid? I'm really liking the idea of dual wielding scimitar mercenary up there, but Thief could be a very different playthrough.

If you're new to souls games, then avoid Deprived.

Deprived isn't bad. It's actually a pretty good class if you plan on respeccing to try out wildly different builds at some point in the future. However the early game will be noticeably harder if you pick deprived.

Beyond that, your starting class really won't matter much at all once you've killed a few bosses and leveled up a few times.

It bears repeating that this is NOT a decision that will have severe repercussions at a later point in the game. You will NEVER look back and say "aww man. I can't do ________ now because I started as __________. This whole playthrough is ruined now." It is basically the exact opposite of that.

You've probably already thought too hard about it. Pick what looks cool and roll with it from there.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • never dienever die Registered User regular

Deprived isn't bad. It's actually a pretty good class if you plan on respeccing to try out wildly different builds at some point in the future. However the early game will be noticeably harder if you pick deprived.

Beyond that, your starting class really won't matter much at all once you've killed a few bosses and leveled up a few times.

It bears repeating that this is NOT a decision that will have severe repercussions at a later point in the game. You will NEVER look back and say "aww man. I can't do ________ now because I started as __________. This whole playthrough is ruined now." It is basically the exact opposite of that.

You've probably already thought too hard about it. Pick what looks cool and roll with it from there.

That's fair, I probably have thought about it too hard, but at the same time I really enjoyed my second playthrough of Bloodborne where I picked a skill based class and stuck with focusing on that, so I was curious.

Is it fair to assume that Deprived is the same as the "Waste of skin" starting option, from what you described?

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Deprived is hard mode start.

Knight and Pyromancer are probably your best starting class bets, since they have lowest luck.

Assassin is a good start too if you plan to go Dex, because starting with Spook is pretty great.

That's fair, I probably have thought about it too hard, but at the same time I really enjoyed my second playthrough of Bloodborne where I picked a skill based class and stuck with focusing on that, so I was curious.

Is it fair to assume that Deprived is the same as the "Waste of skin" starting option, from what you described?

Yeah. Deprived is "start with nothing. Go punch things to death for the first few levels." Except this time they give deprived a club and a shield for some dumb reason.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    These new weapon animations are too fucking great! And the battle arts have some of the best looking ones.

I like that heavy weapons look "weightier" in this. I don't like it when gigantic weapons are waved around like sticks.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'm all about starting with Spook. I looked it up, and getting it the other way takes a bit too long. I want to jump down and see what happens.

Morkath wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me wtf the various numbers mean on the focus column here http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Ultra+Greatswords

I know there's a focus cost but the formatting here is awful and doesn't explain what the multiple numbers are for.

I think the first is focus, the second is stamina cost, if you are out of focus.

this is incorrect

@DemonStacey

X(Y/Z)

X = L2 attack or stance, if an attack it must be followed by the Y = R1, Z = R2

So a sample focus reading 10(5/7)

I hit L2 to do a swing and lose 10 focus. I follow with R2 and do an upward stab for another 7 focus.

A lot of weapons with stances are -(5/10) in which case the stance is free and the moves from the stance are 5 or 10 focus respectively.

Now you know. You cannot do focus attacks without focus.

Some moves seem to also cost stamina. And some weird, spooky lasers are actually regular charged attacks, and not proper skill-things.

Some people called Zombie Headz and Abysmwalker are uploading movesets.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I didn't read the thread because I wanted to avoid spoilers, so apologies if this is repeat question. I haven't played the earlier games, really. I played the first through a boss, but had technical problems getting it to run well since I was late to the party.

How much of a problem would there be jumping right into three? Examples would include missing out on story due to lack of knowledge, or having even harder gameplay due to lack of series experience?

What is this I don't even.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I didn't read the thread because I wanted to avoid spoilers, so apologies if this is repeat question. I haven't played the earlier games, really. I played the first through a boss, but had technical problems getting it to run well since I was late to the party.

How much of a problem would there be jumping right into three? Examples would include missing out on story due to lack of knowledge, or having even harder gameplay due to lack of series experience?

You'd be fine.

edited April 2016
    You can catch up on the story via YouTube. Dark Souls has some deep ass lore.

Vaati
    https://youtu.be/vqDySYlZfNY

Marcus Epic name bro
    https://youtu.be/Balq4yCcAJg

DouglasDanger on

Some atmosphere might be lost without recognising stuff from before. There are elements of "so that's how so-and-so ended up", or "this thing again?". There aren't really any intricate schemes to keep track of, though. The plan is still generally "beat stuff up until you're the very best."

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular

@Darkewolfe

Well the story is mostly vague and somewhat inscrutable; I rarely get a good grasp of the main story/lore on my first play through. There are summary videos out there though if you want to get caught up. IGN actually just put out a decent 5 minute summary of the DS1 and DS2 that covers the broad strokes of the world.

As for your second point, everyone has a first dark souls game that tends to be the most difficult for them until they really learn the ropes of how these games play. But I do think I read somewhere that DS3 is actually a little easier than the previous entries, basically with a better-tuned difficulty ramp.

Also don't listen to Douglas, this is still the most informative video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9x_koRZ2bA

• Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I never finished DS2. I got up to the point where I found King Vendrick, but that's it. Do I need to understand more about DS2 to fully appreciate DS3?

2 specifically. I understand 1 pretty well

EDIT: I should have just read the post preceding mine and learned about the IGN thing

Emperor_Z on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Can't wait for this. Have a brand new 3.4Ghz 24gigs ram machine with a gigabyte 960 OC 4g installed and chugging along ready to be assulted by this games graphics. Also 2 days off work.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    A lot of the late/endgame weapons have some pretty sweet (looking, haven't tried most in actual combat because I don't really want to level 'em) arts.

It's actually one of the minor problems I have with the souls games. I almost always pick a weapon at the start and stick with it forever.And there are some sweet weapons you can find real early. You pretty much have to pry the early
    dark axe
    out of my dang hands.

If reinforced, that weapon would be stronger than my katana with 18/40 stats. And I could use that axe with only the bare minimum of skills and not lose anything.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Really good caster weapon (until you fight enemies resistant to dark or fire if you infused for that).

I think I'm nearing the end of my first run. I'm over 40 hours. Exploring dragon land briefly before I keep going.

Can't wait to restart and I guess dick around with a strength or quality weapon and faith.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Yeah. Deprived is "start with nothing. Go punch things to death for the first few levels." Except this time they give deprived a club and a shield for some dumb reason.

deprived started with the same items in dark souls 1. it's a callback. only DS2 did they start with nothing.

http://darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Deprived

on the topic of what class to start with, it is marginal for the stats... you tend to use them all except perhaps attunement and the spell casting ones if you're just melee. the big thing is the items they start with. i didn't find the sellsword equipment i started with until like 5-10 hours into the game, i forget. the others were similar. hell, i completely missed the pyromancer and had to actually look up where they were and go back like 30 hours into the game.

but i'm playing it without any of the hints on the ground or real guides so that'll happen.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The thing about deprived....is that every 'class' starts at a higher level, with points distributed to make them that 'class' at least at the start and to be able to use the starting weaponry. Deprived is a true level 1 character that may have to grind a bit more, but you have the flexibility to put those initial points into what you want instead of what the 'starting class' thinks is good.

So its actually better in a way...you just start with less equipment, but gain the ability to have more control.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Deprived is only better if you want 10 INT and FTH. For builds that will never use spellcasting, other starting classes are typically better. Deprived gives you the most flexibility, but not the most optimal start for every potential build.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    The thing about deprived....is that every 'class' starts at a higher level, with points distributed to make them that 'class' at least at the start and to be able to use the starting weaponry. Deprived is a true level 1 character that may have to grind a bit more, but you have the flexibility to put those initial points into what you want instead of what the 'starting class' thinks is good.

So its actually better in a way...you just start with less equipment, but gain the ability to have more control.

Depending on what you're going for, Deprived starts with some stats higher than what you'd want. It starts with more int and faith than some of the other classes so if you know you're not playing a caster it loses some control. It's not quite a blank slate.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    And the levels are the same regardless, i.e. starting at level 1 vs. level 8 the level 8 gets an additional 7 points distributed.

But yeah, 10 faith and int is more than my dex character has needed. At least there are a lot of weapons that require 10-12 in one of those categories to use.