As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: the Gathering] Uguu~~ The Spiwit Dwagon

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    My promo: Avacyn's Judgement. Decent, just not with the pool I pulled.

My rares: Two of that shitty counterspell (5 blue creatures, cheapest costing U3), two Always Watching, Tamiyo's Journal, and something I don't recall.

Pool only really had depth in white and green, sorta in black, but the creatures there were much weaker than GW. My sole piece of removal (other than the promo) was Throttle.

Ended up building a fairly solid GW deck with a vague humans/werewolves/spirits tribal theme, hoping to stack Howlpack Resurgence, the Always Watchings, and the double-faced equipment. No real bombs, but it curved out well and hit people in the face. Ended up in 9th place.

My friend's promo was a Relentless Dead. Then he opened another one. Then he opened Avacyn. *shakes fist*

Fun day, though.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    I'm primarily a tabletop gamer & after a friend dragged me along to play in a Shadows over Innestrad two headed giant event. I had some fun with it and i'm thinking of building a werewolf deck for standard and wanted to get some feedback from people who actually know what they're doing. Here's where i'm thinking of starting from:

Deck: Doge Pile r.gifg.gif

//Main
    4 Breakneck Rider
    2 Hermit of the Natterknolls
    4 Geier Reach Bandit
    4 Gatstaf Arsonists
    4 Rush of Adrenaline
    4 Uncaged Fury
    2 Might Beyond Reason
    2 Rabid Bite
    2 Howlpack Resurgence
    2 Silverfur Partisan
    4 Game Trail
    8 Forest
    12 Mountain
    2 Duskwatch Recruiter
    2 Solitary Hunter
    2 Village Messenger

chart_pie.png Display deck statistics[/url][/b]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Speaking of werewolves, would it be feasible to make a werewolf edh deck?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Speaking of werewolves, would it be feasible to make a werewolf edh deck?

There isn't a werewolf legend (yet — Eldritch Moon will probably correct this?), but the real problem there is that a lot of werewolves are bulk limited commons.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Yeah, straight up not enough good werewolves to make an EDH deck.

Bear in mind that they're ALWAYS going to be on their human face, too. Almost always. 99% of the time.

ew9y0DD.png
    edited April 2016
    Kay wrote: »
    Yeah, straight up not enough good werewolves to make an EDH deck.

Bear in mind that they're ALWAYS going to be on their human face, too. Almost always. 99% of the time.

Unless you are really good at finding Immerwolf and keeping it alive. Good luck with that.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Or finding and recurring that transform instant from old Innistrad.

ew9y0DD.png

OK, so... let's talk about Moonmist for a second, because some friends and I have had a couple of amusing revelations about it.

Due to the wording of the card and how the rules work, Moonmist — a common green "Fog" effect — actually straight-up kills four of the five Origins planeswalkers. There's a reason these guys transform by entering exile and then returning: the rules say that loyalty counters are only placed on a PW when it enters the battlefield. If they transform without changing zones, like Moonmist forces them to do, they don't get that benefit and thus have 0 loyalty counters after transforming, meaning a one-way trip to the graveyard. Only Nissa escapes this due to being an Elf and not a Human. Not, amusingly, because she is also green although that can probably work to your advantage if you wanted it to.

The other neat trick Moonmist can do involves the new card Avacynian Missionaries; they Transform into Lunarch Inquisitors when equipped (at EOT) and exile a creature when they do so. Like a lot of white transform creatures, they are human on both sides, so Moonmist actually causes them to revert to their normal side. The bad news is that this does not keep the "banished" creature in exile forever; whenever a card refers to itself by name, it really means "this card" even if it has two different names. Also, the duration "until this leaves the battlefield" is set by the original exiling effect so it doesn't matter if the creature no longer actually has the ability when it finally leaves play. The good news is that they're probably still equipped so at EOT they will transform right back and you can exile a second creature. You can keep doing this every time you cast Moonmist.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

OK, so... let's talk about Moonmist for a second, because some friends and I have had a couple of amusing revelations about it.

Due to the wording of the card and how the rules work, Moonmist — a common green "Fog" effect — actually straight-up kills four of the five Origins planeswalkers. There's a reason these guys transform by entering exile and then returning: the rules say that loyalty counters are only placed on a PW when it enters the battlefield. If they transform without changing zones, like Moonmist forces them to do, they don't get that benefit and thus have 0 loyalty counters after transforming, meaning a one-way trip to the graveyard. Only Nissa escapes this due to being an Elf and not a Human. Not, amusingly, because she is also green although that can probably work to your advantage if you wanted it to.

The other neat trick Moonmist can do involves the new card Avacynian Missionaries; they Transform into Lunarch Inquisitors when equipped (at EOT) and exile a creature when they do so. Like a lot of white transform creatures, they are human on both sides, so Moonmist actually causes them to revert to their normal side. The bad news is that this does not keep the "banished" creature in exile forever; whenever a card refers to itself by name, it really means "this card" even if it has two different names. Also, the duration "until this leaves the battlefield" is set by the original exiling effect so it doesn't matter if the creature no longer actually has the ability when it finally leaves play. The good news is that they're probably still equipped so at EOT they will transform right back and you can exile a second creature. You can keep doing this every time you cast Moonmist.

Planeswalkers don't have a creature type though.

(She/Her)
    The origin planeswalkers start as creatures

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »

Planeswalkers don't have a creature type though.

No, the human original sides. They flip, but are now planeswalkers with 0 loyalty and go poof.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Here are my pools and builds from this weekend if anyone's interested. Had a slightly less successful weekend than usual (aggressive vampires builds are hard to beat), but still won 15 packs over four events. This is how I buy my box of a set: in sealed entries and prizes from said entries.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Hey guys. Hey. What's the most expensive creature in Standard? Who wants to play it(or any creature of any color) on turn 5(or earlier with ramp)? Briarbridge Patrol + Tamiyo's Journal.
    Briarbridge Patrol’s second ability looks at the entire turn, even if Briarbridge Patrol wasn’t on the battlefield for some of the turn. It will see Clues sacrificed for any reason, not just Clues sacrificed to their own ability.

Yes. yes. Yeeeeeeeeeessssss!

okay yeah, probably not a new idea but I just noticed that nice piece of interaction. Clue deck anyone?

(She/Her)
  • tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    Alright, have a few questions:

1) How awesome/much of a cluster is this going to be: an intro deck draft? What I mean by that is everyone involved buys an intro deck of choice, uses its contents then we do a regular draft to make the intro decks even better.

2) Have any of you hosted a draft before? I'd there a good program for my tablet to help me keep track of the standings? There anything else I need to make the transition/process easier?

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    5/5 hasty tramplers for 5, with mini-hexproof too.

YEAH OKAY.

hippofant on
    tehjester wrote: »

1) How awesome/much of a cluster is this going to be: an intro deck draft? What I mean by that is everyone involved buys an intro deck of choice, uses its contents then we do a regular draft to make the intro decks even better.

2) Have any of you hosted a draft before? I'd there a good program for my tablet to help me keep track of the standings? There anything else I need to make the transition/process easier?

Would you be drafting the two boosters that come with each players intro pack? 40 card decks or 60 card decks? I've never hosted a draft but that sounds fun to me anyway. I've always wanted to try alternative limited formats.

I once had an idea for a constructed/sealed/draft format where everyone brings 15 cards of their choice to build a deck around, is given four packs and you are allowed to keep two and draft two but you can open the pack before deciding to keep it or draft it. Then with the 15 cards and four packs make a 50 card deck. Probably not as cool as I'm thinking in my head but if limits on number of rares/mythics in the 15 card pool could be a good intro format where you have a little more control than straight draft but much lower cost of entry than constructed.

(She/Her)
    tehjester wrote: »

Would you be drafting the two boosters that come with each players intro pack? 40 card decks or 60 card decks? I've never hosted a draft but that sounds fun to me anyway. I've always wanted to try alternative limited formats.

I once had an idea for a constructed/sealed/draft format where everyone brings 15 cards of their choice to build a deck around, is given four packs and you are allowed to keep two and draft two but you can open the pack before deciding to keep it or draft it. Then with the 15 cards and four packs make a 50 card deck. Probably not as cool as I'm thinking in my head but if limits on number of rares/mythics in the 15 card pool could be a good intro format where you have a little more control than straight draft but much lower cost of entry than constructed.

Whatever comes in the intro deck is yours to use, but we draft as normal but are looking for stuff for the intro deck. Or draft hating. Should be a good time.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Yeah the only problem I could see with the intro deck draft thing is that you're gonna get a lot of people trying to draft the same archetypes if they bring the same deck/you'll have 3 pairs of people with the same deck looking for scraps.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Eh, that's their problem

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Well, true, but I don't think it'd make for an especially fun drafting format

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    I think it'll add some extra layers to drafting. Like, I'll be using the B/R vampire deck, but will be looking for werewolves to add to the deck. Or even spirits. Use the shell I have and work around what comes my way. And draft hate. I'll let you guys know how it goes

• Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about trying to make a standard investigate deck. Are there some good cards in standard for sacing artifacts? I don't see paying 2 to sac it to draw a card being worth it. The journal/patrol combo is pretty cool. Put a few big nasties in the deck and drop them for free, but it might be a little slow to get going. I don't know the other standard sets at all so I'm not sure what's out there.

It's hard to jump back into this game after a huge break

edited April 2016
    Aktn Bstrd wrote: »
    Are there some good cards in standard for sacing artifacts?

Honestly just Pia and Kiran Nalaar. Although while you're in Origins for its final 6 months you might look at Whirler Rogue and/or Ghirapur Aether Grid too.

The problem there is that two of those three cards are red and red does not investigate.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Played an Innistrad draft yesterday. Knew barely anything about the set before, turns out it's pretty cool.

Clues were surprisingly good in draft at least.

Also, I opened Sorin and Descend upon the Sinful and used both in a W/U flyers deck with black splash with great success. Didn't win though, and we were playing for first pick of rares so I went home without either card :confused:

• Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular

Honestly just Pia and Kiran Nalaar. Although while you're in Origins for its final 6 months you might look at Whirler Rogue and/or Ghirapur Aether Grid too.

The problem there is that two of those three cards are red and red does not investigate.

Okay, cool. Thanks for those.

I like the idea of investigate but it seems like the biggest issue is the cards get so expensive when they throw on the investigate.

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular

Okay, cool. Thanks for those.

I like the idea of investigate but it seems like the biggest issue is the cards get so expensive when they throw on the investigate.

Look into Tireless Tracker as a starting point at least. It's showing up in some decks at the Open this weekend

I'm wondering if Tireless Tracker, Groundskeeper, and The Gitrog Monster might make a landfall deck viable.

Also in trying to find a way to get Journal Patrol off faster I came to the sad realization that Standard has no 1cc mana dorks. Where my elves at?!

(She/Her)
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Played an Innistrad draft yesterday. Knew barely anything about the set before, turns out it's pretty cool.

Also, I opened Sorin and Descend upon the Sinful and used both in a W/U flyers deck with black splash with great success. Didn't win though, and we were playing for first pick of rares so I went home without either card :confused:

God I hate when shops do that because they don't want to offer prize support. If you can, I'd suggest drafting at another shop because the rare redrafting is far from the norm and really hurts less experienced players

God I hate when shops do that because they don't want to offer prize support. If you can, I'd suggest drafting at another shop because the rare redrafting is far from the norm and really hurts less experienced players

So I read this sometime this morning when I randomly woke up and immediately fell back asleep after reading that a store would a rare redraft like that. I honestly thought that it happened in my dream and not real life.

I bought a booster box of Innistrad and I will probably buy another today even though it is a very stupid financial decision but the box I got was pretty solid. Got the werewolf planeswalker and the red/white planeswalker with some other decent draws for my brothers R/B/G EDH deck. Did not get much that I could use. Really no good reason to buy another booster box but I just want to open packs and see what I get. I have a problem here.

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Man, if I wasn't using all my non-draft-entry-fee Magic money for Lantern pieces, I might buy a box of this set.

Id use it to build practice sealed pools and then use those sealed decks to teach my GF how to play magic.

But Lantern comes first.

I just lost in the semis of a gpt to a guy playing lantern + thopter/sword combo.

It doesn't seem like jamming the combo really hurt his prison game plan much. Stupid bridge.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular

Wasn't at a shop, just a few friends who had bought a fat pack.

Wasn't at a shop, just a few friends who had bought a fat pack.

Ok well, that's different hah

Also, apparently the key to win at Innistrad limited is Ulvenwald Mysteries.

Meanwhile, the guy with Ormendahl in his deck lost three out of three matches.

edited April 2016

There's a difference between not wanting to offer prize support and wanting to lower the price barrier to entry. Although sometimes they can overlap when supplies are constrained.

(I know this particular draft wasn't store-run, but the point still stands.)

I'm wondering if Tireless Tracker, Groundskeeper, and The Gitrog Monster might make a landfall deck viable.

Also in trying to find a way to get Journal Patrol off faster I came to the sad realization that Standard has no 1cc mana dorks. Where my elves at?!

Sees Loam Dryad lurking in the corner. No, you don't count. Go away and take your Springleaf Drum with you.

They are moving away from 1cc mana dudes. (source)

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I drafted today and this set is pretty fun to draft.

Turns out when you get 3 reduce to ashes, 2 puncturing lights and a humble the brute, you can generally still win with no good creatures.

Though I did learn that delirium isn't a thing that will just happen if a game goes long enough, you have to have some kind of sacrifice or discard mechanic to get it regularly.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    I drafted on Friday, got a pretty nice GW Humans deck with a few werewolves to pad out my curve. Not sure if I could have drafted a tighter, more focused deck, but I won my pod handily.

I think it was something to do with getting Neglected Heirloom out on turn one, five games in a row. My sixth game didn't, but I got it in the seventh. 2-1, 2-0, 2-0.

Nearheath Chaplain and Dauntless Cathar MVP. Had some good removal too, and Declaration in Stone ended up being worth about $10, so.

ew9y0DD.png
    Alright, intro deck draft update: it went really well! The draft itself was really different. Since everyone already had a deck they were drafting for, draft hate was way more common than usual. We even had a mini-Goyfgate! My buddy opened a pack with a foil Gitrog Monster and something else that he needed for his draft deck. It was pretty funny, mainly cause he thought that it was going to make it all the way around the table back to him. All that after we had just been talking about whether or not you would keep a foil goyf or take only what you needed from the pack. Some growing pains from this experience where to limit the intro decks: no more than 2 of any one intro deck and people that have similar colors should not be sitting next to one another. Not sure if I'll be doing this format again anytime soon, but it was a lot of fun and the next time will different require better planning.

What if you had the intro packs preselected/purchased for the draft and everyone drew numbers for deck picks? Doesn't have to be new sets either. You can get a set of all five intro packs for stuff like Return to Ravnica, Dragon's Maze, Magic Core Set 2014, Theros, or Journey Into Nyx on Amazon for 30-35 a set. Supplement that with recent boosters and you'd have a real variety in decks shaping up.

What packs did you draft with yours? 3 Innistrad? If mixing in older intro packs might make an intetesting draft to do New set/1 Intro Booster/New set to mix around more of the different sets. Replace the drafted booster with a sealed booster from a recent set if you want them to still have five boosters do modify their intro deck with.

(She/Her)
    What's the best place to look up prices for cards, and for that matter to sell them (for the latter I'm guessing eBay?).

I have an expedition Twilight Mire I'd like to turn into cash.