As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    connecting now! :S

EDIT: YAY! Becca made contact!
    who's next?
    I'm leaving the DS bipping.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    rightbelowrightbelow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    connecting now! :S

EDIT: YAY! Becca made contact!
    who's next?
    I'm leaving the DS bipping.

Heh, I found you. Apparently, you were my robotic ex girlfriend and you gave me wind power. Awesome!

rightbelow on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robotic...
    ex-girlfriend...?
    this game is insane. ;)

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cursor101cursor101 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ok, I'm on and waiting for contact.

EDIT: Ok, not really.

cursor101 on
    MK:DS 451051-559978
    Guy1: There's nothing bitchin about the games soundtrack. It's practically all elevator music.

Guy2: That's just hilariously stupid. I can't imagine playing a fighting game with "Girl from Ipanema" playing in the background.
  • Options
    tidytrevtidytrev Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    its out now

tidytrev on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, I'm at this military base out in the woods and it sucks because I need some healing like whoa

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    MannyManny Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, I'm at this military base out in the woods and it sucks because I need some healing like whoa

[spoiler:fabc13f9b1]There's a guy who sells potions in the woods.[/spoiler:fabc13f9b1]

Not really sure if that's spoiler-worthy.

Manny on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Manny wrote:

[spoiler:9bc1a69c67]There's a guy who sells potions in the woods.[/spoiler:9bc1a69c67]

Yeah I know but I'm also poor.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Manny wrote:

[spoiler:f8e0c1788c]There's a guy who sells potions in the woods.[/spoiler:f8e0c1788c]

Sell him your cooked meals. I think BBQ Chicken sells for about 70-75, and Savory BBQ I think is 125. You might want to keep food for training stamina, but potions are invaluable.

Also, if your cooking skill is up to snuff, you can make your own potions for fairly cheap:

[spoiler:f8e0c1788c]Buy bottles from that guy, then fill up at the well in Caldoxa; while in Caldoxa, pick up herbs. Water + Herbs = Potion[/spoiler:f8e0c1788c]

But yes, healing is a giant pain in this game. Once I learned Spirit with the Aqua shot costume I was a very happy man.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Manny wrote:

[spoiler:8cd0b810d6]There's a guy who sells potions in the woods.[/spoiler:8cd0b810d6]

Sell him your cooked meals. I think BBQ Chicken sells for about 70-75, and Savory BBQ I think is 125. You might want to keep food for training stamina, but potions are invaluable.

Also, if your cooking skill is up to snuff, you can make your own potions for fairly cheap:

[spoiler:8cd0b810d6]Buy bottles from that guy, then fill up at the well in Caldoxa; while in Caldoxa, pick up herbs. Water + Herbs = Potion[/spoiler:8cd0b810d6]

But yes, healing is a giant pain in this game. Once I learned Spirit with the Aqua shot costume I was a very happy man.

Not sure if this is spoiler worthy, but:

[spoiler:8cd0b810d6]There is also a basket in Aegis that is considered to be a well, so you can fill up on water there too. It is located on the right side of the main town, IIRC.[/spoiler:8cd0b810d6]

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:27e7660147]Man, the ending. What are peoples takes on it?[/spoiler:27e7660147]

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Okay gang, it's between this, and Final Fantasy V GBA.

I'm very interested in this, simply because it's a 'love letter' to the gaming industry, while also featuring cooking/fishing (my two favorite minigames in RPGs), but I'm not sure about how the game actually plays.

Kami on
  • Options
    BelenusBelenus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You're probably better off skipping it, Kami. You've played FFXII, so just imagine that with only one character, a much smaller variety of techniques (which literally take hours just to learn a single one) and a steep difficulty curve that you can only really overcome by loading down with healing items. And a seriously gimped MP system to boot.

As for the cooking and fishing, calling them minigames is a generous description at best. If you consider "press A to maybe succeed!" a minigame of some sort, then I guess you'll enjoy them.

I was initially really into the game, then I was just kind of disillusioned with it, but willing to put up with the flaws. Then I got FFXII and thought "why the hell am I still wasting my time with Contact?"

In short, the game plays like crap. I hope the sequel is better.

Belenus on
    Contact Friend Code: 4038.0854.4554
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Many thanks, Belenus. My heart, and wallet, thank you.

<3

Edit: Also, my girlfriend has Contact, so I'll probably play her copy, without having to buy it. Best of both worlds, woot!

Kami on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mace1370 wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Manny wrote:

[spoiler:602f66e45c]There's a guy who sells potions in the woods.[/spoiler:602f66e45c]

[spoiler:602f66e45c]Buy bottles from that guy, then fill up at the well in Caldoxa; while in Caldoxa, pick up herbs. Water + Herbs = Potion[/spoiler:602f66e45c]

Not sure if this is spoiler worthy, but:

[spoiler:602f66e45c]There is also a basket in Aegis that is considered to be a well, so you can fill up on water there too. It is located on the right side of the main town, IIRC.[/spoiler:602f66e45c]

Yes, but if he's stuck on Ft. Eagle then he hasn't seen Aegis yet.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Contact is fun. Of course it isn't some gigantic bloated grandiose game like FFXII is, it's on a handheld. It's pretty shitty to treat it like that. Contact is much simpler, which is sometimes what people want.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Contact is fun. Of course it isn't some gigantic bloated grandiose game like FFXII is, it's on a handheld. It's pretty shitty to treat it like that. Contact is much simpler, which is sometimes what people want.

While I admit comparing any handheld RPG to FFXII is nonsense, I have serious issue with the "Contact is fun" part of that statement.

Does the back of the box not proclaim "What you will NOT find in Contact: a dull moment"?

Funny, I consider spending an ungodly amount of time staring at the cooking screen doing nothing but repeatedly -- and slowly -- tapping things with my stylus just to grind up my Cooking skill to the point where I can actually do things with it pretty dull:

Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Wait, Tap, Tap.
    etc.

You can shave off one "Tap" if you're just spaming one-item recipes, like I did with Coconut Milk for about 30 iterations (I spent a lot of time wandering around Aegis leveling up my combat ablities, too), but eventually your brain just says "fuck this, whatever skills I could gain from that monotony aren't that important". At least, that's what mine did, and Cooking's just one ability of dozens.

For the same number of taps I can complete a song in Elite Beat Agents and have a much more enjoyable time.

If you think Contact is/was fun, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But for me, the game was long on promises, short on results.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, so far my only real complaint is it takes too long to get new skills. But also it feels like many other RPGs where you just get to that save/safe point, and then just go out and build up some until you're ready for the boss coming up.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, so far my only real complaint is it takes too long to get new skills. But also it feels like many other RPGs where you just get to that save/safe point, and then just go out and build up some until you're ready for the boss coming up.

It may also be that I'm not a fan of grinding in general. I prefer to just go about my business, and my skills should naturally progress along the way.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    SisterRaySisterRay Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Vyolynce wrote:
    It may also be that I'm not a fan of grinding in general. I prefer to just go about my business, and my skills should naturally progress along the way.

I really enjoy a grindfest if there is a significant payoff at the end. I'm the guy that engaged in random battles ad infinitum in FE:SS and FF:TA just so I could max out my characters and breeze through the endgame. My major problem with Contact is that there is no real reason for you to do this since the game is so easy.

SisterRay on
    360: SEN0R MachoSolo
    PSN: PalaceBrother
  • Options
    Bok ChoiBok Choi Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This may have been asked before, but:
    [spoiler:c7da66e422]Where are all the stone body parts? I have the left hand right foot and head thus far. How many parts are in the pyramid i need ot buy the deed for?[/spoiler:c7da66e422]

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    schlewschlew Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So,

[spoiler:42d555b4c1] I did all that crazy leg work in the pyramids, getting all the stone body parts. And the payoff sucked. At least, I think the Royal Sword sucks. Is there something I'm missing here? Is it actually super worth it?[/spoiler:42d555b4c1]

schlew on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Bok Choi wrote:
    This may have been asked before, but:
    [spoiler:d0572a2331]Where are all the stone body parts? I have the left hand right foot and head thus far. How many parts are in the pyramid i need ot buy the deed for?[/spoiler:d0572a2331]

[spoiler:d0572a2331] Just one is in the deed pyramid. I believe one is in the pyramid with the archeologist, and 3 more are in the "boss" pyramid. It's a huge pyramid but I think 2 of those 3 are in obvious places. If I'm wrong with these numbers, sorry. I just did it last night and then forced myself to forget since it took some time.[/spoiler:d0572a2331]

schlew on
  • Options
    BelenusBelenus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Well, what i was mainly getting at was just a battle system comparison. If you stripped everythign away from FFXII except for it's battle system (which is easily comperable to Contact's) it's still good, and Contact is still boring.

It's not like I mind that Contact's story/characters/graphics etc. aren't on the same level as FFXII. I just don't feel that playing a handheld game means sacrificing hope for an enjoyable combat system.

But then again I never subscribed to the idea that handheld games can't be compared to their console brethren. Why should I lower my standards when I'm playing a handheld?

Belenus on
    Contact Friend Code: 4038.0854.4554
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    schlew wrote:
    So,

[spoiler:1bcfdd1501] I did all that crazy leg work in the pyramids, getting all the stone body parts. And the payoff sucked. At least, I think the Royal Sword sucks. Is there something I'm missing here? Is it actually super worth it?[/spoiler:1bcfdd1501]
    [spoiler:1bcfdd1501]I think it's just for people who want to collect every weapon[/spoiler:1bcfdd1501] :)

rightbelow on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    rightbelow wrote:
    schlew wrote:
    So,

[spoiler:ff9d9e4202] I did all that crazy leg work in the pyramids, getting all the stone body parts. And the payoff sucked. At least, I think the Royal Sword sucks. Is there something I'm missing here? Is it actually super worth it?[/spoiler:ff9d9e4202]
    [spoiler:ff9d9e4202]I think it's just for people who want to collect every weapon[/spoiler:ff9d9e4202] :)

goddamnit.....I was pumped. "Oh man...this is so optional it hurts! It's gotta be something good!"

Oh, I killed some random guy, and he dropped "Plumb Siblings" which reads "Jump! Hit! Keep the block until needed!"...which I like to think is a mario reference.

schlew on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    schlew wrote:
    rightbelow wrote:
    schlew wrote:
    So,

[spoiler:1e056ff72e] I did all that crazy leg work in the pyramids, getting all the stone body parts. And the payoff sucked. At least, I think the Royal Sword sucks. Is there something I'm missing here? Is it actually super worth it?[/spoiler:1e056ff72e]
    [spoiler:1e056ff72e]I think it's just for people who want to collect every weapon[/spoiler:1e056ff72e] :)

goddamnit.....I was pumped. "Oh man...this is so optional it hurts! It's gotta be something good!"

Oh, I killed some random guy, and he dropped "Plumb Siblings" which reads "Jump! Hit! Keep the block until needed!"...which I like to think is a mario reference.

Yeah, there are five or six references to 8-Bit games in and around that level. One of the potential girlfriends likes them.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Bok ChoiBok Choi Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    schlew wrote:
    rightbelow wrote:
    schlew wrote:
    So,

[spoiler:a4105a2445] I did all that crazy leg work in the pyramids, getting all the stone body parts. And the payoff sucked. At least, I think the Royal Sword sucks. Is there something I'm missing here? Is it actually super worth it?[/spoiler:a4105a2445]
    [spoiler:a4105a2445]I think it's just for people who want to collect every weapon[/spoiler:a4105a2445] :)

So I got it too: total crap :/
    Time for the theif suit.

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh, Mochi IS love!

(near end spoilers) [spoiler:9255179ef5]That Mochi rescue scene was awesome, I was grinning the whole time :D[/spoiler:9255179ef5]

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Ok I just beat it

If this game doesn't get a sequel I will murder someone

Also I'm starting a new game now

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lemming wrote:
    Ok I just beat it

TO: Oh, and surprise number two – there will be a Contact 2 game for a Nintendo platform. Probably.

S51: Yeah, Akira Ueda, starting in January, will form his own company, called Audio Inc. He’ll continue working on Contact 2 under his own company brand. So hopefully everyone will support them too!

http://gamasutra.com/features/20060601/sheffield_01.shtml

I'm not a fan of turning everything into a sequel fest, especially if you're trying to continue something that didn't live up to its potential in the first place, just let it die.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What does the wireless thing do, and how do I use it?

My friend code is
    2878 4625 0575

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Animal SpiritsAnimal Spirits Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    harvest wrote:

My friend code is
    2878 4625 0575
    I second. Where is the page that has the groups, and how do I get some of that?

Animal Spirits on
    wiisnake2jj0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    harvest wrote:

My friend code is
    2878 4625 0575
    http://padsgames.pbwiki.com/Contact%20Friend%20Codes

Group 5 still has three slots

Edit: hey our avatars match hi5

rightbelow on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    rightbelow wrote:
    harvest wrote:

My friend code is
    2878 4625 0575
    http://padsgames.pbwiki.com/Contact%20Friend%20Codes

Group 5 still has three slots

Edit: hey our avatars match hi5
    hi5 indeed rightbelow. Is it easier to connect one at a time or all at once?
    EDIT:where did my roster go once I connected?

Animal Spirits on
    wiisnake2jj0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lemming wrote:
    Ok I just beat it

TO: Oh, and surprise number two – there will be a Contact 2 game for a Nintendo platform. Probably.

S51: Yeah, Akira Ueda, starting in January, will form his own company, called Audio Inc. He’ll continue working on Contact 2 under his own company brand. So hopefully everyone will support them too!

I'm not a fan of turning everything into a sequel fest, especially if you're trying to continue something that didn't live up to its potential in the first place, just let it die.

Yes, but I think this game deserves one. Considering I did think it was really good.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Okay so I'm confused. If I Wi-Fi Connect it makes my friends list empty, if I Invite a Friend it won't connect. Any help? I'm going to bed but will check in the morning.

Animal Spirits on
    wiisnake2jj0.jpg
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Lemming wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    Ok I just beat it

Yes, but I think this game deserves one. Considering I did think it was really good.
    Seconded.

Good games like this would'nt get such fanfare if they were bad.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lemming wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    Ok I just beat it

Seconded.

Good games like this would'nt get such fanfare if they were bad.

So, what you're essentially saying is "bad games don't get praise". Quite untrue, though Contact isn't a bad game. The game is extremely beautiful and has some decent ideas, but it doesn't at all live up to it's potential, the clash between simplistic and detailed visuals and the contact between seperate planes, the gameplay is boring and frustrating, and the game feels lacking in general. Not really deserving of a sequel, there isn't enough to build upon from the original game. The game isn't great, it isn't bad, it's more lacking than anything. Lacking in substance, lacking in fulfillment of it's concepts, lacking in everything.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So, what you're essentially saying is "bad games don't get praise". Quite untrue, though Contact isn't a bad game. The game is extremely beautiful and has some decent ideas, but it doesn't at all live up to it's potential, the clash between simplistic and detailed visuals and the contact between seperate planes, the gameplay is boring and frustrating, and the game feels lacking in general. Not really deserving of a sequel, there isn't enough to build upon from the original game. The game isn't great, it isn't bad, it's more lacking than anything. Lacking in substance, lacking in fulfillment of it's concepts, lacking in everything.

You're apparently lacking in the ability to see that we have differing opinions. I thought the battle system was good, I liked the characters, and I'm really curious as to what's really going on in the whole thing. I didn't think the game was boring or frustrating, and it was a fun experience the whole way through.

Lemming on