As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Enter the Gungeon: That's when I reach for my revolver

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Are there any predictors of where secret rooms are like in Isaac?

I think the walls have cracks in them, but I've only ever seen 2 cracked walls. In 13 runs, I've only ever found 2 secret rooms and one of those was in the tutorial.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I'll have to check all the walls in the tutorial then. I found one on the second floor in my first playthrough because it was rather obvious. Found a shrine with my entrance being from the north, and an exit to the south, but there was a path leading off to the west towards a wall. Sure enough, secret passage with 3 brown chests. Thankfully I was playing as the Pilot with his lockpick, but he flubbed the third chest.

When you don't have keys to chests, are there any other ways of opening them?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    You can shoot them. They usually break tho. How do I drop passive items I forget.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Well. I went ahead and picked this up cause I was in the mood for a game like this.

I like it a lot, but it is definitely a lot harder in the early levels than Isaac. And I agree 100% with everyone here that if you don't get a gun before the first boss, you may as well restart.

That being said so far the best run I've had I got to floor 3 and died there. I had the Light Gun (Which is awesome) and that red revolver (Sparky's Revolver?). Both are solid weapons. That revolver does crazy damage.

So far I like the hunter and the marine. The hunter's starting pistol is solid and the dog finding items is wonderful. Funny enough the crossbow is great money fodder for dropping to the grate guy. The marine is just solid all around. I like the pilot's abilities, but I just hate is wildly inaccurate starting gun. I don't care for the criminal at all.

Convict's starting revolver is decent. As long as I get Gatling Gull or Bullet King as my first boss, I don't need to restart if I fail to find a gun on the first floor.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    I had a t-shirt launcher as my first gun find.

The humour in this game. It understands me.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I loved it when the song in the opening kicked in. Very fun. Then the actual in game music turned out to be kinda blah.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I accidentally hit "A" too fast when I opened the shop. What is the deal with buying those items in there? Does it just give you the chance of finding them in chests once you unlock them? I don't imagine I can buy "rocket powered bullets" and start each game with them from then on, eh?

vamen on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    You unlock them for finding in the gungeon. You dont start with anything not on the character you picked.

In other news, http://www.gamepedia.com/betas/enter-the-gungeon-cobalt-hammer-time-giveaway has a code to unlock the Cobalthammer for your Gungeon, linked on the gungeoneers website.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    Oooh, gun giveaway.

Hmm, Steam only though? Why not PS4?

• ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    I'm having good luck finding secret rooms connected to item rooms. I'm not sure if it's part of the floor generation, or if I've just been abnormally lucky. Worth testing further though.

I haven't found any secret rooms yet. But I have no idea what to look for currently.

Is the co-op for this local only like Isaac?

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Is the co-op for this local only like Isaac?

Sadly. I really hope they add online coop later.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Convict's starting revolver is decent. As long as I get Gatling Gull or Bullet King as my first boss, I don't need to restart if I fail to find a gun on the first floor.
    Really? I hate that revolver. The clip size is miniscule; if you miss one round you have to reload before you kill even the lowliest enemy. And the Pilot's tiny projectile size and poor accuracy is horrible too. I can't stand playing either of them. All of my passable runs have been Hunter or Marine. Hunter at least starts with a weapon to fight bosses with.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    You unlock them for finding in the gungeon. You dont start with anything not on the character you picked.

In other news, http://www.gamepedia.com/betas/enter-the-gungeon-cobalt-hammer-time-giveaway has a code to unlock the Cobalthammer for your Gungeon, linked on the gungeoneers website.

Is there a way to start a run off with this (or other guns you find in previous runs)? Or is it just adding the hammer into the pool of possible weapon pick ups?

76561197966849367.png
    Zetx wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »

Is there a way to start a run off with this (or other guns you find in previous runs)? Or is it just adding the hammer into the pool of possible weapon pick ups?

Just adds it to the pool.

Wyvern wrote: »
    Really? I hate that revolver. The clip size is miniscule; if you miss one round you have to reload before you kill even the lowliest enemy. And the Pilot's tiny projectile size and poor accuracy is horrible too. I can't stand playing either of them. All of my passable runs have been Hunter or Marine. Hunter at least starts with a weapon to fight bosses with.

My best run yet was with the Marine, but I like Convict too. I use her shotgun on regular enemies, and the revolver on bosses if I don't find a gun on the first floor. Bullet King and Gatling Gull are easy, but I've yet to beat the twin bullet guys with the default guns. The molotov is good against Gatling Gull too cause he's slow. The game's thrown Bullet King at me so much though, I bet I could dodge his bullets with my eyes closed.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

My best run yet was with the Marine, but I like Convict too. I use her shotgun on regular enemies, and the revolver on bosses if I don't find a gun on the first floor. Bullet King and Gatling Gull are easy, but I've yet to beat the twin bullet guys with the default guns. The molotov is good against Gatling Gull too cause he's slow. The game's thrown Bullet King at me so much though, I bet I could dodge his bullets with my eyes closed.
    I thought the sawed-off shotgun was bad too. I think the weakest bullet enemies take two hits to kill even point-blank, or three if you're at any range at all, which is the same number of hits as a sidearm requires, so the damage can't possibly be very good.

My personal impression of the characters so far, in descending order of preference:

Hunter - Sidearm is average, crossbow is great for early bosses and takes the sting out of a poor floor 1, dog might yield a critical key every once in a while. A solid all-around character.

Marine - Has the best sidearm, but not a whole lot else going on. I rarely have a use for the supply drop before finding another active item, and I don't know how much of a difference his passive item makes for a typical loadout. The extra point of armor doesn't really help me at all; it's a near-certainty that I will at some point use it and then subsequently end up back at max health before dying. He's pretty solid if he gets decent weapon drops early, since a good sidearm retains its value for quite a while.

Pilot - His sidearm is horrible to the point that I find him pretty much unplayable. Lockpick seems to rarely work (I'd just as soon take the chance of a key from Hunter's dog), and I don't value the extra active slot very highly because I'm bad at making good use of them to begin with. Lower shop prices is a good bonus, possibly enough to make him strong over the course of a long run, but it's not enough to justify his bottom-tier early game for me. I'm open to the possibility that a better player might be able to take better advantage of his economy-focused strategy, though.

Convict - Sidearm is subpar but usable. Shotgun is honestly no better than the sidearm. Molotovs are alright but will be used infrequently and probably replaced early, and her passive is pretty irrelevant. She's less awful to play than the Pilot because her weapons aren't quite as bad, but she's weaker early than Hunter or Marine and nothing she has retains meaningful value in the long term, so I don't see any real reason to pick her at all other than style points.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    I do think every character should have either a good sidearm or a decent starting weapon. The convict shotgun is too weak, and the Pilot doesn't have a good enough sidearm to offset the lack of a starter weapon. Hunter and Marine are both solid though.

So, I'm starting to run into some quibbles. The severity of each kind of varies, and they may be ironed out as people discover more about the game. This is all my opinion, so I suppose results may vary.

- Secret rooms seem to be a total waste of resources. You need to use ammo (which is precious), plus a Blank (also precious) for what could amount to very little reward. At times you'll even need to use a key to open the chest in the room. So three resources for a questionable reward. So far it doesn't seem worth it.

- A lot of the guns are pretty useless against bosses. A few are worthless in general (I'm looking at you Derringer). Some of them are more built for clearing rooms efficiently (better clears = more money), but a very small few seem to do decent damage to bosses. Maybe I'm just bad, but I find myself using my default weapon more on bosses. That's even if I get lucky and get a gun from a chest on the first floor. By the time I hit the second floor bosses I need something more substantial than my side arm.

- Ammo is pretty scarce. This makes it so you need to cycle through your weapons, but by the time you hit the lower floors you're generally going to be exhausted on ammo for most of your guns. Which further digs you into a hole.

Like I said...this may be a case of 'git gud' but these are things I see happening on a pretty frequent basis. Overall I'm still enjoying the game, but things like secret rooms are a real issue IMO.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah one thing I definitely like about Nuclear Throne over this is that I have far more consistent runs in NT.

I think some of the procgen in Gungeon could stand to be tightened up a little bit to give a more consistent start.

I don't doubt that as the game's sales continue, and reviews pop up more, there's a lot of desire from the developers to listen to community feedback. I'm sure a few people are happy to have a more "hardcore" experience by not having a guaranteed gun spawn in the first floor, but it'll be something Devolver will need to look into. Is that opinion the minority? Is it all by design that they're unwilling to compromise? I'm of the mindset that a guaranteed gun drop wouldn't change things much. There are a lot of upgrades, but a fair number of "meh" options as well that are only marginal upgrades over the sidearm.

It's like getting a Lemon or relatively useless active item in Isaac. Not every item is a massive upgrade, nor should they all be.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Not Devolver. Dodge Roll.

camo_sig2.png
    Damn it, yes. Dodge Roll.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Are there any predictors of where secret rooms are like in Isaac?

I think the walls have cracks in them, but I've only ever seen 2 cracked walls. In 13 runs, I've only ever found 2 secret rooms and one of those was in the tutorial.

That's because they got shot by something. You can find them by shooting at walls with non-starter weapons. Some weapons are almost designed to find secret rooms it seems, like the one with 1000 ammo that does minimal damage, but is great for popping walls to see if there are secrets. You then need a blank to actually open the crack, but I think an explosive weapon can as well. Or a barrel. I am going to try rolling a barrel from another room to one of the cracks and blowing it up to open the room instead of using a blank today.

And yes, you can roll barrels from any room to another room if you want.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Got to the fourth floor for the first time. My hands were shaking on the Cannonball boss of the third floor. Went in low health and took a hit, so I was at half a heat pretty much the whole fight. His pattern was super easy to get a handle on though. Died in the third room of the fourth floor. Even regular enemies like standard Bullet Kin take a lot more hits to kill the deeper you go.

Of course I had a whole stable of different guns to switch to. Some useful, some not so useful. Gave me options to clear rooms and not feel like I was wasting precious ammo for "boss guns" when I got to their rooms.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I am absolute crap with any weapon that requires charging before firing.

I'm probably crap at the game in general though.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Mahoguny is probably one of the better guns the more I use it. It has 350 rounds, does decent aoe damage, can be bounced off walls at angles and most importantly destroys bullets.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I don't doubt that as the game's sales continue, and reviews pop up more, there's a lot of desire from the developers to listen to community feedback. I'm sure a few people are happy to have a more "hardcore" experience by not having a guaranteed gun spawn in the first floor, but it'll be something Devolver will need to look into. Is that opinion the minority? Is it all by design that they're unwilling to compromise? I'm of the mindset that a guaranteed gun drop wouldn't change things much. There are a lot of upgrades, but a fair number of "meh" options as well that are only marginal upgrades over the sidearm.

It's like getting a Lemon or relatively useless active item in Isaac. Not every item is a massive upgrade, nor should they all be.

I think it's more that in a game like Isaac your basic damage and shot speed are useful enough to get you through the the first boss and then some. And often enough you'll have 2 or 3 upgrades pretty quickly and know if your build is doomed or not. Plus there's no reload. If you're going to stick players with piddly starting weapons you (IMO) either ought to balance the damage such that one could reasonably expect to take on the first boss without too much trouble, or find some way to front load drops into the first floor.

edited April 2016
    So, the Particulator combined with the Hip Holster is a pretty excellent synergy. Particular shoots a ball of energy and turns into a dozen little homing beams. Hip Holster fires a shot when reloading. Since the Particulator only has one shot per clip, you're basically firing two energy balls, and like twenty four tracer beams every shot. Clears rooms very effectively, and does solid work on bosses.

Reddaye on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Anyone else running into this issue? When I go to change my key bindings (mouse/keyboard) it shows Xbox controller inputs only and I can't edit it. I don't have any controller plugged in.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    The keyboard ones are in a different menu. If you back out of that one, they're at the very top of the controls menu.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    When you buy unlocks, where do they go? I bought the Hegemony Rifle and a Heart Container and saw nothing of them.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    When you buy unlocks, where do they go? I bought the Hegemony Rifle and a Heart Container and saw nothing of them.

You're adding them to the loot pool in the dungeon. It is an upgrade though since generally in these games the stronger items are unlocked over time.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Hey yo

The music in this game

Is amazing

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Sooooo this is really good.

I had an excellent run last night. Got some great guns and went into the 3rd boss with 2 armor and full life.

It was the damn beholder. Died to him with <10% health :(

Thought I was finally gonna get past floor 3.

In other news. I really love a lot of the rifles in this game. The lower fight rate, high damage makes for easy room clearing.

Beam weapons, on the other hand, I have had no luck with. I've gotten the super soaker, the gamma ray, and a couple of others I can't remember the name for. But their damage is anemic. I don't really see where their niche is.

Found an awesome gun last night. Eye of the Boreholder. It's a laser beam revolver or something, and when you reload it, it poops out the little boreholder eye. Those eyes sometimes turn into lil babby boreholders that help you fight.

Super Soaker water gun is good for pushing enemies into pits.

Eye of the Beholder is so good against bosses. Those little eye guys keep constant damage on the boss.