As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Enter the Gungeon: That's when I reach for my revolver

• BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    So I beat the 4th boss on my 2nd or 3rd play. Got to the entrance to 5 and thought "Hey, I should warp back to the beginning to talk to the uh, folks (to avoid spoilers)". I hit the menu and said "warp back to the (whatever the starting area is). Talked to them and thought "neat". Then realized I ended my game.

That was a sad time.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, I realized this morning this game does not appear to have the "save and exit" feature of Isaac. I left a game and thought I would just come back in where I left off. Nope.

cptrugged on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    The devs had said save and quit is on the roadmap at least.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    So that answers my question I guess, right now there is no way to stop in the middle of a run?

PSN SeGaTai
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    There are lots of ways to stop in the middle of a run. Just no ways to resume one.

camo_sig2.png
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    My best run so far was at a point where I had been only reaching chamber 3 before dying. Picked the marine, got a BSG from my chamber 1 boss, then used that to flawless chamber 2's boss, who dropped a Hexagun.

Those two guns combined cut a path all the way down to chamber 5's boss, with the BSG clearing entire rooms of enemies, and the Hexagun one-shotting practically everything, as well as tearing through the health bars of every boss. Also picked up Wax Wings, a Flare Gun, and a Colt 1851 (that came from using a Shotbow and a Winchester on a muncher). Only reason I died was due to entering the fight at 2 hearts, dropping to half a heart during the first phase, then promptly failing to roll into the very first gap. If I had entered with 3 hearts, I would've beaten it first time.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »

That's good, this type of game really needs it in my opinion. I don't like that I need a decent chunk of free time to bother playing, just incase I end up doing well. It would otherwise be a great game for when you just have a few minutes to kill.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Wow fuck, this game is super goddamn slick. Like, I had been following this game since way long ago and it has exceeded all my expectations, in every way. Playing with a Controller feels really good. Controls feel tight and intuitive, and the aim-assist is real nice. Haven't tried K+M but I also don't feel like I need to.

I've gotten up to Chamber 3, but have yet to actually get to the boss. I got the Chamber 2 Shortcut complete though (not sure if it's worth it, however). I like Marine and Hunter the most. Not a fan of Pilot or Convict. Pilot has the worst Sidearm in the game, Convict just feels kinda meh.

Also yeah, cool that they're giving away free codes for the Cobalt Hammer (which is SUPER COOL BTW). It flubbed at first and gave me the MTX Gun, but then a patch came out same day and fixed it super fast. Even got to keep the MTX Gun.

Also also, fun little item unlock spoiler:
    Push a flipped table into a pit, you'll unlock a really cool Table Tech.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Beehive for best weapon 2016.

• ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Feels like they improved the accuracy of the Pilot's sidearm. I haven't played him for a day or so and he feels noticeably more accurate on my run today. Or am I just imagining things?

Reddaye on
    edited April 2016
    Beat the
    Dragun
    , first time getting there. Eldritch Blank OP.

Vidja-

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_JgAFynN2s"

SkutSkut on
    So, I guess it turns out that Curse is a hidden stat in the game. Certain things, such as buying/interacting with particular NPCs will raise your Curse level. Which is indicated by a little purple-ish/pink icon that briefly displays over your head. As far as I can figure out it causes champion/elite enemies to spawn more often.

• MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Okay, I guess I'm giving the controller a try on my next play.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, I figured that one out pretty quickly after dealing with
    the creepy vampire-looking lady who sells really cheap stuff.
    I didn't know there was other stuff that could curse you, though. I guess some of the altars, probably? I haven't seen much of those.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Curse has some other things it does but that's worrying about super secret stuff that would basically be new game + stuff.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    What makes a champion/elite enemy? I've seen the green icon over their head but that's caused by the buff-casting guy from what I've seen.

Champions have a dark reddish black coloration to them.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Oh, this is interesting. Apparently you can fiddle with the options file to increase the Aim Assist even further: https://www.reddit.com/r/EnterTheGungeon/comments/4dy1w7/psa_you_can_increase_contoller_aim_assist_beyond/

Which seems pretty practical. The Aim Assist is pretty good, but there's been times I wished it was better. I'll tinker with it and give it a go at some point. Controller aiming is hard, yo.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I think I'm going to switch to KBAM. I find myself only playing as the Marine because using anything semi automatic for a long time is starting to get painful.

The only other games that have caused this are the Zen Pinball tables and the Soulsbornes.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Someone on reddit found out that if you tap the fire button to fire weapons (even automatics apparently) that they'll actually shoot faster than if you hold the button. Makes a pretty big difference with the starter weapons.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Reddaye wrote: »
    Someone on reddit found out that if you tap the fire button to fire weapons (even automatics apparently) that they'll actually shoot faster than if you hold the button. Makes a pretty big difference with the starter weapons.

This isn't something games have taught people since forever? Button mashing has ALWAYS been the superior method and I think the game is designed with this in mind. If you hold down the controller you can often lose precious time failing to reload and similar. Plus some guns you WANT to be mashing and not holding down the trigger, like the Zorlon gun, which requires you to press the button twice when the ammunition is expended to get the most out of it (and reload it).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Reddaye wrote: »

This isn't something games have taught people since forever? Button mashing has ALWAYS been the superior method and I think the game is designed with this in mind. If you hold down the controller you can often lose precious time failing to reload and similar. Plus some guns you WANT to be mashing and not holding down the trigger, like the Zorlon gun, which requires you to press the button twice when the ammunition is expended to get the most out of it (and reload it).

I dunno what's been taught to who, but I do know that very few people I've watched play tap the button on automatic weapons to make them fire faster, or most weapons in this game in general. Most people seem to be holding the fire button down on all weapons. I know I have been.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ok, I know this sounds silly since he is a floor one boss. But I have a real problem beating the Gatling Gul consistently. Like I will lose 1 and a half hearts at the least every time.

He tracks you with the center of his fire. So if you dodge roll, the bullets on the edge catch the end of your roll. So I thought I'd just stay far enough away to slip between the bullets. But he walks toward you at a good pace. I just can't seem to beat him without using blanks or having over powered guns.

In many ways, what arena you get for the Gul matters the most IMO. If you get the really annoying one with the water pits he becomes a much more frustrating boss IMO. The key when he's walking towards you is to roll towards those bullets towards the sides near the end of when he's firing. That will let you avoid damage 90% of the time. In fact most of the floor one bosses seem to be designed to teach you "Roll forwards when possible". I used to have lots of trouble with the floor one bosses, now I pass them every time I fight them just about and am getting that way on the Floor 2 bosses.

Now that fucking Tank on Floor 3. That. Fucking. Tank.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    What does unlocking weapons even do? Great, it's unlocked. Now where is it?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited April 2016
    Figgy wrote: »
    What does unlocking weapons even do? Great, it's unlocked. Now where is it?

It adds it to the RNG pool when you next enter the Gungeon. It's worth noting that, in my experience (and I could be wrong) newly added items have an initially much higher chance of turning up than older ones. I even kind of plan around this if I know something is decent, I tend to purchase it and I can be pretty confident it will turn up 1-2 runs afterwards.

Aegeri on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Ok, I know this sounds silly since he is a floor one boss. But I have a real problem beating the Gatling Gul consistently. Like I will lose 1 and a half hearts at the least every time.

He tracks you with the center of his fire. So if you dodge roll, the bullets on the edge catch the end of your roll. So I thought I'd just stay far enough away to slip between the bullets. But he walks toward you at a good pace. I just can't seem to beat him without using blanks or having over powered guns.

Using blanks is fine, I remember reading in the tutorial that you get two back at the start of each new stage

steam_sig.png
    If you have any left over after a boss, it's worth taking a couple of guesses where the secret room might be and just using them. You don't need to be near the wall for the blank to expose the secret IIRC, just in the same room (but again, I'm not 100% sure).

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Is there a strategy around when to use your keys? Or should I just open the first chests I come across and hope for the best?

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Is there a strategy around when to use your keys? Or should I just open the first chests I come across and hope for the best?
    Over time I've become somewhat more discriminating about when I open them. If I already have a decent weapon and I'm down to my last key, I'll usually pass over brown chests. (I assume chests are color-coded by rarity and brown is the worst.)

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »

That's good, this type of game really needs it in my opinion. I don't like that I need a decent chunk of free time to bother playing, just incase I end up doing well. It would otherwise be a great game for when you just have a few minutes to kill.

Yeah. No save worked in Nuclear Throne because a full successful run of Nuclear Throne takes 15-20 minutes (even with multiple loops you'll be done in less than an hour). Not being able to save and quit has kind of put me off this for now, since I usually can't just sit down and do one thing for 8 hours uninterrupted =/

Zek wrote: »

You should explore the whole floor first and only open chests if they are A) Big or B) Green or Blue. However, the game WILL troll you on this and sometimes you find chests with a fuse attached. This naturally explodes them, so you can be less discriminating about what you open. Obviously colored and bigger chests have a better chance of dropping both better stuff and multiple stuff.

Keys on brown chest is kind of waste, the others tend to be much better in what they give you.

Also watch for chests that look like they are breathing ;)

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Keys on basically anything is kind of a waste, because keys don't exist, basically. The drop rate on keys is just flat out terrible. And the key drop rate just compunds other smaller problems into really big ones. Ammo scarsity? Well, you don't have keys to be able to have gun. Cant do secret things? Well it's probably cause you have no keys.

It's incredibly frustrating because the game will quite often in my experience, just tell you you're not allowed to play the game or have fun.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah right now i think this is a good game that still needs just a feeeeew last little minor number tweaks

liEt3nH.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    My two biggest bitches with this game are the complete absence of getting any keys and that there's no option to just shoot with the right stick like Isaac. Aiming and shooting with the same hand like that hurts mine like bejeezus.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It hurts mine a bit too. Video game Ergonomics are really hard to get right though, simply because everyone is different. I know someone who flat out cannot use an Xbox controller because the triggers are too resistant. I myself have a lot of trouble doing things with my pinky fingers, which thankfully is only an issue when using KBAM. The problem becomes there's no way to account for it in designing your game. In a perfect world, everything would be incredibly customizable, but it's not feasable, sadly.

I get why they have you fire on a trigger, though. There's a lot more aiming involved, and since ammo is a limited resource, it would be easy to chew through it just trying to aim at what you want to shoot. Even if it's just from neutral.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Also some guns mechanics relying on charging or specific presses.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    You kind of do need a snappy button for aiming in this. Having Isaac-style shooting would mean you couldn't have weapons with the same mechanics they do here.

But ya, it's kinda awkward.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment