As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SE++ Writes a Movie] Mortal Kombat: A Cinematic Universe

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So..... We need the current, contemporary Jack Burton?

Yeah

But not The Rock, I really don't agree with that casting

But whoever you'd cast as modern Jack Burton is who I'd cast as Cage

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'd cast Nic Cage as Johnny Cage.

• Options
    Actually wait I cast Gilbert Gottfried as Johnny Cage.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

DISAGREE

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

DISAGREE

....What about Nic Cage as Shang Tsung?

Ignoring the white washing, which I admit I don't want to do, if he brought one of his crazy performances I actually think that could be fun. Shang is pretty unhinged and Nic Cage can turn on a dime between composed and complet e raving lunatic

He is not right for Johnny though, no.

I am thinking of casting and I will admit I am woefully unknowledgable about asian actors. And I would absolutely not cast scorpion, sub zero, lui kang, or raiden as white dudes.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I have to ask, why do you believe Raiden is best served by an Asian actor?

Its nothing against Asain actors for me and more on, how do we cast the ethnicity of an elder god of thunder?

• Options
    I'm not really thinking of anything other than comedy factor when spouting these names.

I mean come on Gilbert Gottfried as Johnny Cage would be the worst best thing. The only thing I can think of that might be even funnier is dubbing his voice over whoever plays Kitana.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'm trying to figure out films that deal specifically with the outworld court intrigue angle, but I'm not sure who the protagonist would be. Perhaps Kitana? It could be cool to have a Kitana focused film before she comes into the main MK films (I keep imagining the actual game story focus films to be the equivalent of the Avengers, ie the big crossover events) so she is fleshed out more as her own character rather than being Lui Kang's love interest showing up out of nowhere.

maybe "Ruler of Outworld" as a series. So you can go through the storylines dealing with the whole Edenia element (although I would probably do this off screen). Perhaps the suppression of the Shokan, and something around their enmity against the Centaurs (you would want this in there early so by the time you get to MK3 the switch of their position in Shao Khan's army has real impact, plus you build up goro more as a character) then moving through to Mileena, Kitana's rebellion and the contested throne post Shao Khan that was built up in MKX. Kitana is old enough you could go through a lot of history, you could even have some stuff in there where you see the original Kung Lao defeated in one of the early tournaments.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    I have to ask, why do you believe Raiden is best served by an Asian actor?

Its nothing against Asain actors for me and more on, how do we cast the ethnicity of an elder god of thunder?

while I agree that LOGICALLY he doesn't need to be asian

mortal_kombat_x_raiden.jpg

If you're going to put this costume in a movie he better not be a white guy
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out films that deal specifically with the outworld court intrigue angle, but I'm not sure who the protagonist would be. Perhaps Kitana? It could be cool to have a Kitana focused film before she comes into the main MK films (I keep imagining the actual game story focus films to be the equivalent of the Avengers, ie the big crossover events) so she is fleshed out more as her own character rather than being Lui Kang's love interest showing up out of nowhere.

maybe "Ruler of Outworld" as a series. So you can go through the storylines dealing with the whole Edenia element (although I would probably do this off screen). Perhaps the suppression of the Shokan, and something around their enmity against the Centaurs (you would want this in there early so by the time you get to MK3 the switch of their position in Shao Khan's army has real impact, plus you build up goro more as a character) then moving through to Mileena, Kitana's rebellion and the contested throne post Shao Khan that was built up in MKX. Kitana is old enough you could go through a lot of history, you could even have some stuff in there where you see the original Kung Lao defeated in one of the early tournaments.

I think you have it be Ko'Tal Kahn at this point if you want it to be in the current timeline. He's brutal but not cruel, and he's more or less fighting against the evil bloodline of Shao Kahn. Have him struggle with who to trust after so many people he believe in betrayed him, and ultimately triumph over Mileena but at the cost of losing D'Vorah and a lot of his immediate court.

He's also just a really interesting character and having your protagonist be a weird non-human monster would be interesting

If you set it earlier, like, before the Earthrealm invasion, then you definitely have it be Kitana. She convinces her mother to lead the rebellion against Shao Kahn. She fails but prevents Shao from conquering Earthrealm. This could be a good way to explore Outworld politics before the first main line film begins

• Options
    Fun Note

Until this moment (I am replaying MKX) I thought that "Kahnum" referred to everything under the control of a kahn, like Kingdom

Apparently its a female Kahn

whoops

• Options
    You set it before the original game story, for sure, there's a lot of meat on those bones of pre MK1 outworld. Perhaps Kitana, Jade, Rain and Goro as your key characters. You set up Goro as a noble, sympathetic character who values loyalty utmost which reframes how he appeared in the first film. Shao Khan is a presence in the film but not a key character, you build him up but don't show him directly so much.

Perhaps the key conflict is Shokan v Centaur. Have Motaro plotting something, build him up as a villain. This group of Outworld "heroes" goes to stop him. Along the way Kitana finds evidence of the truth of her mother/edenia, internal conflict in the group between rain and kitana.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I really wish instead of just bonus characters that netherrealm made story expansions to go along with character packs

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Is this where I pitch my Erron Black/Stryker buddy cop movie set during a diplomatic summit between Outworld and Earthrealm

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I personally never want Stryker outside of Earthrealm.

I want him pumping a shotgun towards monsters outside a RadioShack.

Just SO FUCKING ANGRY

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I personally never want Stryker outside of Earthrealm.

I want him pumping a shotgun towards monsters outside a RadioShack.

Just SO FUCKING ANGRY
    Oh no it is 90% set on Earthrealm

Erron Black is extra pissy because he hates being on Earthrealm because he was born there and never really found a place he belonged until he found his way into Outrealm where he flourished.

He and Stryker stumble onto a conspiracy to assassinate Kotal Khan (while getting into a dumb macho fight with each other) and frame Earthrealm for the deed but no one believes them because Stryker isn't part of the Kool Kids with Sonya's global defense force and all of the Outworld folks think Erron is being unstable because they're back in Earthrealm.

So they have to work together to prevent a giant inter realm war

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I was going to ask why Stryker doesn't show up in your draft zon

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I just want someone to ask a super angry Sonya Blade about her old police partner and for her to say, "Stryker? That guy? That guy is the angriest man I've ever met."

An then an immeduate cut to Stryker screaming & firing an uzi at a centaur point-blank inside a destroyed Best-Buy.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    I was going to ask why Stryker doesn't show up in your draft zon

Same reason why we didn't get Vision or Ant-Man in the first Avengers film.

You have to save some great stuff for the sequels.

• Options
    We can all agree Stryker hates Johnny because the real Stryker is MK9 Stryker but the Stryker in the Mortal Kombat movie Cage is making is original flavor kinda chubby rent a cop Stryker.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Honestly I wonder if the best way to do a mortal kombat film nowadays is to reference the tournament but set it amongst an out world invasion post apocalypse, it's where the most goofy fun can be had, with like a post apocalypse with a big trouble in little China ghosts and demons and sorcerers theme, squaring off against attack helicopters and tanks. I mean everyone kind of knows through cultural osmosis the Mortal Kombat tournament shtick, so it could be referenced as a precursor, but things are just so much more fun when everything's going crazy

Maybe mKx is colouring my perception tho. I'm not opposed to a film that's basically a standard tablesetting tournament, but it could be fun to just go for it and be completely confident in audiences going along for the ride and having it be set during or after an invasion

Prohass on
  • Options
    I think making the first of a Mortal Kombat franchise without having the tournament be the central conceit is a misstep, personally.

I think there's a lot of wiggle room to be had with the setting but having it all start off with a big magic kung-fu tournament that spirals out of control is essential

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I would agree with that statement

I think the only thing that allows the mortal kombat films to be about essentially anything in the mk universe is the first movie's basis on the tournament itself

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Ok so casting for Raiden, stay with me here...

- Since he's the God of Thunder, and protector of Earthrealm as a whole, he doesn't really have an ethnicity; the best we can do here is someone who is of mixed-ancestry.

- Raiden, as a God, needs to be able to convincingly do the whole zen thing, but also be able to impressively step up when it's time for Kombat.

- In later films, when he's corrupted a bit from cleansing the Jinsei, we should believe him when he starts getting a bit war-monger-y

-As Zonugal said earlier, it would be preferable if the actor knew Kung-Fu
    All that's left is greying his hair up a bit

7f083fd4.jpg

• Options
    I think the tournament is the way to go because it lets you get away with introducing so many characters, ideas and organizations at once. You don't have to contrive too many reasons for why all these characters are gathered and you don't need to delve too deep into backstories and motivations, but you can hint at them and build curiosity in ways that build into the different movie series' and spinoffs.

Also I feel like the invasion is something you can build towards in the various movies and create hype and momentum.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Stay with me here

Andrew Lincoln as Jonny Cage

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Or Stryker

I don't care which

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Troy Baker as Erron Black

Dude is pretty enough for the movies

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Dwayne Johnson as Shao Khan

(Helmet on at all times)

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Joolander wrote: »

- Since he's the God of Thunder, and protector of Earthrealm as a whole, he doesn't really have an ethnicity; the best we can do here is someone who is of mixed-ancestry.

- Raiden, as a God, needs to be able to convincingly do the whole zen thing, but also be able to impressively step up when it's time for Kombat.

- In later films, when he's corrupted a bit from cleansing the Jinsei, we should believe him when he starts getting a bit war-monger-y

7f083fd4.jpg

So @Joolander, I was 95% secure on who was behind that spoiler because obviously yeah, I mean, yeah...

But I had another guy who after looking up some others' ideas I think might fit.

- He is Caucasian...

- He hasn't trained in martial arts but he was a trained boxer for several years. Also for a prior role he has experience learning some Jiu Jitsu and maybe a little bit of Escrima from an ex-French Special Forces soldier.

- He has the weight, gravity & force to project that he is an elder god who will protect Earthrealm.

- He already has experience playing a god of an area full of thunder.
    clash_of_the_titans45.jpg

Zonugal on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Reserved
    Reserved for further background

This is off to an ominous start

Hey Wyborn

You know your encyclopedic knowledge of Zelda

This is my jam

Well I mean, how bad could it b-
    rest of Chincy's posts
    all of Zonugal's posts

F1emSb9.gif

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    @Wyborn, I'm glad to see you are hydrating.

You're going to need it.

• Options
    So in this movie would Johnny Cage just be a really good fighter like normal or secretly the heir to an ancient god-killing magical force that lets him punch deities to death like the latest games seemed to think was a good idea?

• Options
    edited April 2016
    So in this movie would Johnny Cage just be a really good fighter like normal or secretly the heir to an ancient god-killing magical force that lets him punch deities to death like the latest games seemed to think was a good idea?

Ideally?

Ideally I'd have him start off as just a really good martial artist (not as good as Liu Kang or any of the ninjas) but at some-point find/inherit something that transfers that magical power to him.

Zonugal on
  • Options

7f083fd4.jpg

So Joolander, I was 95% secure on who was behind that spoiler because obviously yeah, I mean, yeah...

But I had another guy who after looking up some others' ideas I think might fit.

- He is Caucasian...

- He hasn't trained in martial arts but he was a trained boxer for several years. Also for a prior role he has experience learning some Jiu Jitsu and maybe a little bit of Escrima from an ex-French Special Forces soldier.

- He has the weight, gravity & force to project that he is an elder god who will protect Earthrealm.

This is actually really interesting, but I think for my taste is ultimately too similar to Christopher Lambert (who was great last go-round, but was close to out-hamming Johnny Freaking Cage)

• Options

7f083fd4.jpg

So Joolander, I was 95% secure on who was behind that spoiler because obviously yeah, I mean, yeah...

- He is Caucasian...

This is actually really interesting, but I think for my taste is ultimately too similar to Christopher Lambert (who was great last go-round, but was close to out-hamming Johnny Freaking Cage)

I mean, I still really like your idea.

I'm just telling you where my brain was heading before your post.

Basically, my guy should be our back-up option. Yeah?

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Yeah definitely a solid, solid backup

Ok, now on to Sonya

I'm thinking Emily Blunt, but that's probably mostly due to dem guns

emily-blunt-edge-of-tomorrow-bodytaste-the-pimlcsdq.jpg

Joolander on
  • Options
    DEM

GUNS

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    We can all agree Stryker hates Johnny because the real Stryker is MK9 Stryker but the Stryker in the Mortal Kombat movie Cage is making is original flavor kinda chubby rent a cop Stryker.
    Stryker wrote:
    Kevin James? You cast KEVIN JAMES as me?
    You're dead. You know that, right? Tell me that you at least didn't put me on one of those god damned stupid scooters.
    You did. You put him on a segway?
    You're double dead now. I don't know how I'm going to do it, but I'm killing you twice, Cage.

On the casting discussion, I propose Ricky Whittle (guy who played Lincoln on The 100) for consideration as Jax, assuming Jax is still in the movie.

• Options
    I was about to say Michael B Jordan for Jax

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I think nic cage should play mr toasty

latest?cb=20110310085358

l3icwZV.png