As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] Fates - The best FE character is now recruitable... for a price

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Orson had a rough couple of months

he's a nice contrast to the sheer hammy scumminess of the two guys you fight right before him. He made the wrong decision for a knight, but one I think a lot of people would do in his shoes

...yeah

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Damnit okay I take back any advice I ever gave at these games

Clearly I am suspect because I cannot beat this stupid DLC map, the one to get more gold

I have made like 10 attempts now and my team is all very high leveled but apparently I just absolutely suck

I hate this game it's the worst

I think my best suggestion for that level is to not get too greedy. Fall back and huddle at the forts, and don't make it a point to attack/kill every enemy. Some are really high leveled! The paired up Wyvern dude with the Star Axe, and a paired up Master of Arms with a Manni Katti or whatever. They're usually more than happy to leave instead of attacking your teams

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Orson's special dialogue were all pretty good. With Eirika? Pretty good. Pretty good. With Seth?

"You would sacrifice your life for king and country. Not even a moment's pause. It's a pitiful, unrewarding life, through and through."

"It is my charge. It is my hope."

oh my god what a good exchange

Oh, Seth.

track_7_6.gif

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Man

If Seth and Lyndis had been in the same game...

dN0T6ur.png
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I paired Ryoma with Orochi because I had only her and Setsuna left and she seemed like the better fit

Turns out it's a perfect match

I like it when things work out!

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Bro I want to play fire emblem but my internet is all wobbly and I can't download my fancy new birthright dlc right now

Please let me play vicariously through you

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    just imagine ryoma killing like 10 enemies in a row

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    Bro I want to play fire emblem but my internet is all wobbly and I can't download my fancy new birthright dlc right now

Please let me play vicariously through you

Twin Mindlink activated

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »

Clearly I am suspect because I cannot beat this stupid DLC map, the one to get more gold

I have made like 10 attempts now and my team is all very high leveled but apparently I just absolutely suck

I think my best suggestion for that level is to not get too greedy. Fall back and huddle at the forts, and don't make it a point to attack/kill every enemy. Some are really high leveled! The paired up Wyvern dude with the Star Axe, and a paired up Master of Arms with a Manni Katti or whatever. They're usually more than happy to leave instead of attacking your teams

Still not working

I am incomprehensibly awful

Or the game is smart enough to figure out exactly the type of enemy groups to precisely screw me over because that is what keeps happening

Got Corrin and Camilla holding a spawn point by themselves? Here's a group of casters, screw you! Got anything remotely squishy nearby? Have a swarm of wyvern lords! All your sturdy units had to move to defend against a bunch of Wolfskin? Hey look a pair of Generals! You had to continuously retreat because a paired and unstoppable Master of Arms is leaving? Perfect opening for a trio of Swordmasters to appear and gank Mozu!

I think I'm just really on tilt now, because I am actively getting worse. I am up to 15 attempts and I haven't made it to turn 6 in the last 3 tries

Eirika

Eirika honey no don't tell Ephraim he must be crazy when he says to be on guard around Lyon when the guy is going Dracula on you

Don't do that, this is why my list isn't set in stone, god dammit Eirika you were doing so good

dN0T6ur.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    She just wants to believe in her friend Wyborn

2x39jD4.jpg
    Eirika believes in her friend...!

(to be fair she was able to talk one of the game's major bosses down, so it's not like it's never worked for her, either)

she might even go so far as to fight for her friends

Ephraim: Wait, Eirika! You said it yourself. Lyon must be under the control of someone or something else.

Eirika: Don’t be ridiculous! There must be something wrong with you, Ephraim! Lyon is one of our dearest and closest friends, remember? He told me that, no matter what happened, he was still on our side. Isn’t that right, Lyon?

Lyon: Yes, Eirika. Of course it is. So please, come here... Closer... Ah! Gah... ahh... Uuuuhhaaah... ga....

She literally said two scenes prior that Lyon must have been under someone's thrall, and then turns on Ephraim the instant he agrees with her, it's just not a good look when Ephraim is just as much about belief as she is

dN0T6ur.png
    ok, but what about

friendship

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Still not working

I am incomprehensibly awful

Or the game is smart enough to figure out exactly the type of enemy groups to precisely screw me over because that is what keeps happening

Got Corrin and Camilla holding a spawn point by themselves? Here's a group of casters, screw you! Got anything remotely squishy nearby? Have a swarm of wyvern lords! All your sturdy units had to move to defend against a bunch of Wolfskin? Hey look a pair of Generals! You had to continuously retreat because a paired and unstoppable Master of Arms is leaving? Perfect opening for a trio of Swordmasters to appear and gank Mozu!

I think I'm just really on tilt now, because I am actively getting worse. I am up to 15 attempts and I haven't made it to turn 6 in the last 3 tries

If you're having trouble just focus your units on one or two spawn points.

The "bosses" rarely if ever engage and their underlings will only attack you if you're in range. Otherwise they just run.

Dragkonias on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    OK so Valter talking to Eirika made Carlyle sound downright respectful and mindful of enthusiastic consent. But Cormag killing him, that shit felt real good. Good conversation before it. You got your revenge, buddy, I hope it was enough.

I played Sacred Stones many years ago, but I remember killing Valter very well

Sent my Berserker Ross to attack him with the Dragon Axe

Valter called him a minnow

Ross critted on his first hit, dealing about three times Valter's max HP

Never gave that creep the satisfaction of fighting Eirika

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Posted without comment

WVW69jGgnbYZYYVwQ9

dN0T6ur.png
    Okay, um

After a few good minutes in photoshop I have the next OP plotted out, if there are no objections

insert shifty eyes

signature.png
    Birthright 17
    Flora dying was hard to watch

Way more emotional than Lilith's random, pointless death in conquest

Birthright's story actually has emotional stakes

• ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    Birthright 17

Flora dying was every bit as pointless as Lilith. I get it, you attacked me, you feel bad about that. Surprise, so did Silas, and he's still around. Garons gonna burn your village down? Cool, we're literally on our way to overthrow him, at which point he will be unable to do this very thing. Dying here is pointless because A. if he wins he'll still probably burn your village down at some point and B. surely the best way to ensure this doesn't happen is to lend us your strength.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    eirika makes bad and dumb decisions re: lyon

that's really all there is to say

Birthright 17

I agree it was better than
    Lilith, but I think what might have been better if Flora died from getting stabbed when I had my units hit her with their swords to win the map

Instead of setting herself on fire with ice magic (which she probably could have killed me with since nobody on my team was able to stop it)

But no, instead of the thing I have to do mattering she was just fine and decides to kill herself because...she feels super bad, even though we were gonna let her and her people just hang out because we rock like that

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    on conquest 26 now, almost to the end

tryin to keep my eyes on the horizon cause I've..... well I've...

guys I've lost some good people

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Theodore what did you dooooo

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Theodore what did you dooooo

niles was unhorsed by many spears in the hoshidan capital, his body and bow arm broken at the feet/hooves of his liege lord leo and his favorite co-worker odin. were it not for the bold and roguish actions he undertook, shooting down the sole bolt naginata wielder, prince xander himself may have fallen in battle that day (!!!). the soldiers of fort multifart were saddened, if not surprised, as niles had been taking more and more risks since lady azura took a club to the head outside the city walls. sources say he was possibly sweet on her.

later, in the hoshidan throne room's antechamber: lord leo, riding alone and retainerless, is blown from his horse by the despicable saizo, making good on his earlier promise to show up again and be a piece of shit. prince xander strikes a mighty blow of royal retribution, but it is his emotionally stunted retainer peri who--ruminating on the unfortunately incomplete morality 101 lessons she'd been receiving from lord leo--canonically obliterates saizo in a manner unfit to type out. if niles doesn't show up in any more cutscenes, i will assume he drank himself to death after hearing of his lord's devastating injuries.

also, shura--the poor man's older, two-eyed niles--died when he--trying to be niles, most likely--decided to crit a ninja at a most inopportune time. it is just that he died, and makes sense. we appreciate your sacrifice, shura.

MEANWHILE: when niles fell, his famous bow, horny boy, was recovered by his favorite co-worker, odin dark. when the call went out at camp for replacement archers, odin passed the bow to his wife, felicia, who entrusted it to her sister, flora, who looks pretty good all armored up on a horse. it was this novice bow knight who slew the ex-girlfriend of satan incarnate, kagero. poetically, the two ninjas died on the same turn, though kagero did it with much more dignity.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Young floosevelt how

Those people trusted you

2x39jD4.jpg
    Really, the most solid argument for a "let deaths happen" run are the totally rad stories that you can spin out of the situation.

I couldn't do that though, I'm such a wimp

signature.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So I didn't know parent stats not only affect growths but base stats and I waited late game now Kana is amazing.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So I didn't know parent stats not only affect growths but base stats and I waited late game now Kana is amazing.

They don't in this game.

It's just that Offspring Seals give much better than average stats when used. Basically recruiting kids lategame guarantees good to great base stats.

• ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

They don't in this game.

It's just that Offspring Seals give much better than average stats when used. Basically recruiting kids lategame guarantees good to great base stats.

"Child’s Level 10 + N stats = Class base stats + [Child’s absolute base stats + (N x Child’s full growth rates); define the value inside these square bracket as “C”] + {[(Father’s personal stats – C; 0 if negative) + (Mother’s personal stats – C; 0 if negative)] / 4; cannot be higher than (C/10) +2 rounded down}

The parents’ personal stats are their displayed stats minus their class base stats (in rare cases, you may need to account for the displayed stats being reduced because of ramming the maximum stat)."

Serenes forest says they do, and I trust them because they're more crazy about fire emblem than I am.

edited April 2016
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

They don't in this game.

According to Serenes, they do:

http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/base-stats/
    The tables below list the children’s absolute base stats before adding their class’s base stats and factoring in the contributions from their parents. In addition, the later you recruit a child, the higher their Level (and thus stats).

More precisely:

Child’s Level 10 + N stats = Class base stats + [Child’s absolute base stats + (N x Child’s full growth rates); define the value inside these square bracket as “C”] + {[(Father’s personal stats – C; 0 if negative) + (Mother’s personal stats – C; 0 if negative)] / 4; cannot be higher than (C/10) +2 rounded down}

It's not a huge gain but it can give you a couple of points per stat which is nothing to sneeze at

And I think Offspring Seals just apply growth rates x levels gained + promotion gains, but I'm not as confident on that one

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Really, the most solid argument for a "let deaths happen" run are the totally rad stories that you can spin out of the situation.

Thinking about it

I think that my Ephraim route run, concurrent with my first playthrough of Dark Souls 3, is going to be a Dead Means Dead run

The GBA games are generally pretty easy (and Sacred Stones feels easier than FE7) so I'm not too worried but I will... definitely keep a running log.

dN0T6ur.png

Thinking about it

I think that my Ephraim route run, concurrent with my first playthrough of Dark Souls 3, is going to be a Dead Means Dead run

The GBA games are generally pretty easy (and Sacred Stones feels easier than FE7) so I'm not too worried but I will... definitely keep a running log.

please enjoy more fog of war maps

...I actually have a B team set up in Revelations.

I'll probably never use them but its there.

sacred stones gives you the characters to make it real easy. not sure if I could do a no reloads-no deaths like I did in awakening though, awkening difficult was non existent

some of the maps on ephraim's route can be a lot tougher if you opt not to use seth or dussel

Oh god, Wyborn just got a one-two punch in Sacred Stones Chapter 18

One
    Ephraim and Eirika's C support, where Ephraim offers to stroke Eirika's face oh so gently like she begged him to do when she was younger, "but what would everyone think if they walked in on such an intimate moment!"

Two
    "Oh Lyon tell me what I can do to help you"
    "Yeah hand over that sacred stone that they just got done explaining you should not hand over"
    "OK!"

I gotta check if he's done yelling at the WiiU screen yet

signature.png
    edited April 2016
    Fer fuck's sake!

"Oh well you know what, Ephraim and Eirika's relationship is almost completely free of incestuous subtext after all that shit in Fates. Maybe my perspective has just changed, or maybe I read too deeply into it when I was y-"
    Ephraim: You looked a little upset... I thought I would stroke your face like I used to...
    Eirika: Please stop it. You're treating me like a child...
    Ephraim: Oh, I'm sorry. It's just an old habit... Besides, you were always the one who pestered me to do it when we were little. Don't you remember?
    Eirika: N-no, I don't remember! That was such a long time ago... Ahh... Dear brother, please try to remember where we are right now. What would our companions say if they saw us in such a personal moment?

Ephraim! What is this Ouran Host Club bullshit you're doing here! Stop it stop it stop it stop it!

Well, at least Eirika isn't the worst part of that. She's mostly being condescended to, an-
    L'Arachel: Eirika the Sacred Stones don't have the power to restore people once the Demon King has wrecked them up. Lyon is gone, it's just the Demon King running around now.

Eirika: I am sad about it but I understand.

*time passes*

Lyon?: Eirika I am in pain but can heal myself and not die if you give me the Sacred Stone

Eirika: This seems like a perfectly good idea

Demon King: It was me all along! *breaks sacred stone*

Eirika: *faints*

Erika what did I tell you! You do that shit and then you have the audacity to faint like the subject of a bad Victorian drama! What is this shit!

You god damn kids are drivin' me to distraction! I'm revising my Lord tier list!

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Proud Fire Emblem Tradition

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Proud Fire Emblem Tradition

I get the feeling a big Fire Emblem lords+siblings convention would have Chrom and Lissa backing towards the exits pretty quick.

(Seriously, considering how fucked up a lot of sibling relationships are in the series, it's kind of amazing to have Chrom and Lissa be so... normal. And then Chrom's kids are similarly fun siblings. Just kind of a nice break before Fates, AKA "We think maybe Fire Emblem 4 could have used more incest.")

This discussion has been closed.