As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Enter the Gungeon: That's when I reach for my revolver

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Drop rates have been increased a lot.

I got a gold casing from breaking a chest(like 50 casings), I've gotten about 3 items per floor on average now, two big drops at the end of rooms (chests + items).

That said, there sure do seem to be a lot more locked paths now.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Just needs balancing. The health buff for enemies especially; fighting the same thing, but taking longer, is not good game design.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I can't make it to the third floor, though I'm finally consistently making it to the second. Progress!

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I was having a really good run just now.

Made it to the third floor, found a stinger and some other good guns, like 5 keys over the whole run, beat the Bullet King without taking a hit and only really took one hit on the Gorgun.

Died on floor three still though.

Oh I unlocked the cell with the blue bullet man in it but like, he isn't at breach anywhere? What is the deal with that?

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I was having a really good run just now.

Made it to the third floor, found a stinger and some other good guns, like 5 keys over the whole run, beat the Bullet King without taking a hit and only really took one hit on the Gorgun.

Died on floor three still though.

Oh I unlocked the cell with the blue bullet man in it but like, he isn't at breach anywhere? What is the deal with that?

Certain cells unlock extra merchants who shown up randomly in the shop. Some of these eventually move to the breach if you buy enough in the gungeon.

I ate an engineer
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    It is.

Right now I think an overall damage boost for non-starting weapons would do wonders for the game, and let me forget most of my annoyances. I find myself using the starter pistol even over stuff like the RPG, because it puts out about the same DPS and I don't have to care about ammo.

Some definitely need a look. Status weapons in particular are all very bad. Status effects need to stack duration or intensity, so they aren't just a starter pistol with an ammo count. Apply 20 seconds of poison to boss, swap to different weapon should be a fairly typical mechanic.
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Ok, I know this sounds silly since he is a floor one boss. But I have a real problem beating the Gatling Gul consistently. Like I will lose 1 and a half hearts at the least every time.

He tracks you with the center of his fire. So if you dodge roll, the bullets on the edge catch the end of your roll. So I thought I'd just stay far enough away to slip between the bullets. But he walks toward you at a good pace. I just can't seem to beat him without using blanks or having over powered guns.

@cptrugged

Always dump your blanks for boss fights. You get 2 at the start of the next floor, so spend them like they are going out of style. Even if you have like 5, I'd generally burn all of them if it looks even slightly necessary.

This is particularly important with the rewards for perfect boss fights.

IMHO, Gull is the hardest floor 1 boss, especially with the water room.

Also, Crossbow is amazing against floor 1 bosses at least. Let's you DPS from across the room.

Sawed off shotgun, OTOH, is a high risk, low reward weapon. Only keep it to sell it / munch it later.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Are you supposed to go back to default aiming position when you let go of the analog stick, or is my stick leaning, because it's kind of awkward to have to hold in a direction and then hit the fire button. It kinda hurts, actually.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The gull is easy if the room generated cover.

The tank is at the top of my shit list at the moment.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I have some thoughts on some of these points after a fair amount of play of this game now.
    milski wrote: »
    The default control scheme feels weird compared to other games in the genre

I agree. I endlessly fiddled around with this.
    Teleporters are surprisingly scarce to the point most of my runs are based around guessing the least tedious way to fully explore.

Don't really agree with this at all.
    Bosses have too much health.

Certain guns are best for murdering bosses, some for clearing rooms and so on. The weapons that kill bosses do so immensely effectively. It's a balancing act, but I do admit it sucks royal balls if you don't get decent guns in a run. This is really the problem, because there are plenty of guns for owning the shit out of bosses, but if they don't drop...
    Most reloading/magazine based gimmicks are too weak to be relevant. It's basically worthless to try to play around the "last bullet in the magazine" gimmick, which just means the weapons have slightly higher DPS against really durable opponents. On the other hand "Stronger with more bullets in the magazine" and "swap on reload" don't offer much in the way of active decisions.

Some of them aren't bad, like the Light Gun's duck (that homes after people) and the ice/fire effect on the Judge. The ones that create friendly creatures to kill the shit out of things are another, like the Beholder Cannon.
    Offensive active items are incredibly weak. Defensive active items almost always seem strong.

Not to mention that they are a fucking pain to even use half the time. I agree that defensive items seem to be substantially better.
    Why do certain items add curse on pickup? None of them are really that overpowered, and one of them is a defensive item far weaker than one of the many invincibility granting ones.

Things that banish bullets and go against the "gun" stylings of the game add curse. If it builds up high enough....
    Multihit/bouncing weapons are incredibly undervalued, meaning most guns that bounce a ton are probably going to wreck. Gunbow or the Super Meat Boy reference gun both destroy random rooms and (Gunbow in particular) do excellent DPS to bosses.

Absolutely agree.
    It is far too easy to wind up with 6+ guns and no passive items.

God do I hope so. Ever had a run where you get no guns at all from the shop/chests on the first floor? It's fucking balls. You should get more guns and passives should be rarer. Nothing is worse than being stuck with a bunch of useless passives and chipping away at a boss for 10 minutes.
    Drops are too scarce, meaning that keys will almost always be massively limited. This is especially true if key doors or extra chests spawn, and even more especially true when the shopkeeper is blocked off by a key door (seriously?)

They have rebalanced this recently at least.
    The rat that steals items if you leave them, but can be driven off. This is dumb. This is a dumb system. It'd be better if the drops just disappeared and weren't indicated on your minimap if you were that concerned with hoarding.

I've honestly never noticed the rat stealing things much or thought it was ever particularly relevant to anything I was doing. Ammo I've always used and anything else I'm happy to lose.
    It'd be nice if we could see the effects or at least the icon for items we buy to send into the Gungeon.

From the shop with the golem? You already can, it's in the center of the room in the little holo thing. Also when you next open the Ammonomicon they will appear on it to show that they have "Entered the gunfight".
    The elevator costs a ridiculous amount to repair. I guess that might be the point, to ensure that you can clear your way to it without actually needing to buy weapons or unlock chests, but even without buying anything or unlocking any chests it's probably more likely than not I don't have 120 shells and 3 keys by the end of the second floor.

When you use the short cut you encounter a familiar face, who offers you a choice of weapons. The lower you go, the more of the guns you are allowed to take. So it's not quite going to level 2/3/4 without anything at all. It does seem like a lot at first, but it's really not that bad and can be easily accomplished after only a couple of dedicated runs at it.

Finally got the elevator up for floor 2, missed this "familar face" and guns you mentioned

PSN SeGaTai
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    The gull is easy if the room generated cover.

The tank is at the top of my shit list at the moment.

it was on mine too until I finally got the high priest on floor 4, had pretty much only been getting the wall. that guy might be the hardest boss in general to just dodge, and he teleports all over which only makes his effective HP that much larger as you keep having to find him again.

been doing a lot of pilot runs, who is absolutely the RNG character of the four. sometimes he's stuck with his terrible sidearm for three floors, sometimes you lockpick every chest and the shopkeeper has decent options so he has 4 guns by floor 2.

• ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Apparently there's a boss that can spawn on the first three floors named Door Lord?

He just kicked my butt pretty good.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Is that... is that an Anachronox reference?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Is that... is that an Anachronox reference?

Holy crap.

edited April 2016
    I finally saw the Forge. First I had to fight the Wallmonger, which is the coolest boss ever. I also freed Marcellene the floating vampire girl.

EDIT: I had Ghost Rounds. This is one passive offensive tool that is an utter monster. It gives bullets a pierce effect.

Cantido on
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The game told me to kill the Ammoconda with the pilot pistol.. worst fight ever. all the blanks all the hp i could muster barely came through it and then the next floor was just mean (those rail cannons in some rooms)
    -boss drop was the crossbow you reload to make explode-, it was really hard to use well (stack bolts on enemy, reload to make go boom), takes at least 2 to kill a standard bullet soldier guy

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    that feel when you realize you've been losing to the fifth floor boss because you didn't even realize what the mechanics were in the last phase. anyone who's been there will know what i mean. goddamnit

the sticky crossbow is pretty much junk, but then a lot of guns are in comparison to others. almost every run i do that reaches floor 5 i have 8+ guns; a couple will be useless, 1-2 will be for boss killing, all the others like the sticky crossbow that are only okay at best are for room clearing and good gun ammo conservation.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    This game is a ton of fun. I usually buy these indie games on steam, but I got it for PS4 this time. I've been in a trophy hunting mood lately.

Do the random barrels, bookcases, etc. that you can run into and knock over ever have anything useful in them? Or is it more so for looks?

Steam: offday
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    This game is a ton of fun. I usually buy these indie games on steam, but I got it for PS4 this time. I've been in a trophy hunting mood lately.

Do the random barrels, bookcases, etc. that you can run into and knock over ever have anything useful in them? Or is it more so for looks?

All random clutter items can block one bullet apiece, but never, ever drops any items.

The one non-obvious source of items is secret rooms, which are revealed by a cracked wall if you shoot them, and opened by detonating a blank (or getting hit while wearing armor).

I've noticed a couple weapons that will constantly swap back to them if I hit the interact button. Wanna put the now out-leveled crossbow into the Gun Muncher? Too bad, you just threw away Stinger because interacting swaps to it.

anoffday wrote: »

All random clutter items can block one bullet apiece, but never, ever drops any items.

The one non-obvious source of items is secret rooms, which are revealed by a cracked wall if you shoot them, and opened by detonating a blank (or getting hit while wearing armor).

Thank you.

I was fruitlessly looking for Secret Rooms by praying for the Gamma Ray and doing sweeps of the walls with it in short bursts.

I rescued an Alien. What does he want when he appears in the store?

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Wait is the wall not cracked beforehand? Like I'm just shooting and hoping? Ugh - no wonder I've never found one.

camo_sig2.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Wait is the wall not cracked beforehand? Like I'm just shooting and hoping? Ugh - no wonder I've never found one.

No but bear in mind the starting guns won't crack walls - only proper guns do. This means that the very high ammo/low damage weapons are great for sniffing for secret walls. You can use starter guns to find secret walls, but it's a pain because you need to look at the bullets reaction when it hits. Against a secret wall it will behave differently than if it hits a regular wall - but I forget the exact thing that it does. Note that you don't have to be near the wall to open it with a blank or being hit on your armor (the other way a wall can be opened).

Explosives sadly don't seem to open secret walls :( It has to be a blank or armor hit. So I usually save secret wall hunting for after a boss if I have <2 blanks.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    About the cracked walls/secret rooms. Someone mentioned there's one in the tutorial. The wall is pre-cracked so it's easy to find, and it is well worth it to go back for if you haven't taken a second go at the tut. Go ahead, try it now.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
    edited April 2016
    Ha! There's a shrine to Yung Venuz.

sPider817 on
    About the cracked walls/secret rooms. Someone mentioned there's one in the tutorial. The wall is pre-cracked so it's easy to find, and it is well worth it to go back for if you haven't taken a second go at the tut. Go ahead, try it now.

I did. Neither the tutorial's Pea Shooter or AK did anything to the cracked wall.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

I did. Neither the tutorial's Pea Shooter or AK did anything to the cracked wall.

you don't open the cracked walls with guns, you reveal them with guns

then, you have to use a blank to open them

liEt3nH.png
    sPider817 wrote: »
    Yeah. and it is, of course, the best shrine to use.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »

I haven't found it myself, I just saw an image of it while I was on the wiki. PLEASE tell me it plays an annoying airhorn when you use it.

That suuuuucks.

edited April 2016
    heenato wrote: »

I haven't found it myself, I just saw an image of it while I was on the wiki. PLEASE tell me it plays an annoying airhorn when you use it.
    No. It randomly gives you Pop pop. Actually, I don't know if it plays airhorn.wav, since I haven't FOUND it myself. It's just the best EFFECT.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular

i think, just think, mind, explosions may open them as well? Like those TNT barrels?

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Nope. Blanks and armor effects only.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Played a ton more of this this weekend.

Figured some things out and had an amazing run that got me to the Dragun. In this run, I had the Fightsaber (an awesome auto rifle that reflects bullets on reload) the M16 (another great bun) and the Hexagun (chickens!) AND I had taken the heath hit from the shrine for more damage but still had 5 health cause of lucky drops. I also got +1 Bullets. BUT I had taken like 3 or 4 curses to do this. And let me tell ya. Elite versions of those guys who stretch their arms at you and then fire bullets from the arms suuuuck. Unfortunately, I got a few too many elite guys on the final floor and went into the Dragun with 2 health. But still. It was cool to get there.

Also figured out the "secret" to the Gatling Gul. He's now the boss I hope for every time. Simply put. You can stand right next to him and he won't fire his gun. He will try to hit you with a melee swing that is way easy to dodge. Eventually he will jump away for the rockets. But most of the time you can just stand right next to him firing away.

I'm consistently getting to the 3rd floor boss now. And figuring out which guns are good for what.

Some other great guns I've found. The Shotgun Full of Love. It's a strong shotgun that does the charm effect. Which is stupid strong for room clearing. The Camera. Hits everything in the room. Hide behind a wall and clear the room.

Other stuff. Table Techs are amazing. The one that stuns the mobs in the rooms is nuts. Be warned about some of the extra bullet effects. I got Angry Bullets which make your shots bounce to other enemies. This is great for guns but really really bad for grenade weapons. The grenades will bounce off to another guy without exploding.

Still loving this game and I'm starting to come around on the Pilot. As long as you get a decent gun on floor 1 his passives are great later in the game.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Currently trying to get 3 armor for floor 3 elevator, gotten close then bad luck with what's available in shop

PSN SeGaTai
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I don't quite understand some of the NPCs. I have a guy who said he could make an elevator, But now when I talk to him he just says, "Welp, you messed it up, looks like your taking the long way down".

And the scout guy who's helmet you can keep kicking down and then re-rescuing him. Doesn't seem to do anything.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I don't quite understand some of the NPCs. I have a guy who said he could make an elevator, But now when I talk to him he just says, "Welp, you messed it up, looks like your taking the long way down".

And the scout guy who's helmet you can keep kicking down and then re-rescuing him. Doesn't seem to do anything.

Shortcut guy:
    you have to jump into the elevator shaft that has a maintenance sign on it in the dungeon to find him.

• ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Seeing on reddit that you can now crack secret walls with your side arm. Haven't been able to test it yet today.

Reddaye wrote: »
    Seeing on reddit that you can now crack secret walls with your side arm. Haven't been able to test it yet today.

I hate to say it. But that seems really silly. Just make them visable at that point and require the same blank to blow them.

• MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular

I hate to say it. But that seems really silly. Just make them visable at that point and require the same blank to blow them.

There's a comment earlier in this thread about how a blank is generally more valuable than whatever is in the secret room, which I'd be inclined to agree with based on my experience so far, so it seems like a good change to me.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
    MadPen wrote: »

There's a comment earlier in this thread about how a blank is generally more valuable than whatever is in the secret room, which I'd be inclined to agree with based on my experience so far, so it seems like a good change to me.

Well they're saying that the sidearm will crack and reveal the location now. You're still having to spend a blank to open it. It just seems dumb to even have to shoot to reveal them if you allow the gun with infinite ammo to do it.

But I guess the effort is now taking the time to do a quick spin with your side arm on rooms before you leave them.