As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey the Prime Conflux seems to be happening finally.

And apparently the Axiom is getting redone in plastic as well to match?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    All of the new Colossals will probably get a multi-kit. The Sepulcher / Kraken is already announced.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    So advice time.

This is what I'm currently running:

Casters: 1/1
    Commander Adept Nemo (*6pts)
    * Lancer (6pts)
    * Stormclad (10pts)
    * Squire (2pts)
    Lady Aiyana & Master Holt (4pts)
    Tactical Arcanist Corps (4pts)
    Captain Arlan Strangewayes (2pts)
    Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)

Next week is 35 pts, and I think I want to keep the same battlegroup so no Stormwall. This week I ran into a couple of nasty weaponmaster lists with upkeeps that I just couldn't get through.

So I'm thinking of going with one of the options here for those 10 pts:

*Full Forgeguard and Lanyssa, the FG let me fight fire with fire and Lanyssa lets me threat a bit further. Only problem is that the FG don't really synergize with the rest of the list (they benefit from kiss and mark but that's it).

*Ironclad and Eiryss2, the Ironclad gives Nemo another potential jack bullet while Eiryss helps to strip upkeeps from units and focus from casters. Eiryss2 could be trouble in a jack heavy list though.

*Cyclone and Stormcaller, covering fire templates to handle the WM spam, but doesn't really help against enemy jacks or beasts (not that Nemo really needs it).

*Centurion and Stormcaller, the Cent helps prevent charges and is another beat stick, but doesn't help against troop spam.

I'm leaning towards the Ironclad and Cyclone options personally.

What about Dynamo? pNemo turns him up to 11.

Or Thorn + Solo X? Thorn threats 15'' + Reach under Nemo 1.

Eiryss 2 is a good option - just keep her away from your own jacks and your good.

If you go with the Forge Guard, consider Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord. He can give them pathfinder or Tough.

Part of the issue is I don't own either Jack and it's very unlikely I'd be able to get them by next week (blew my model budget ordering some of the classic WM models to fill out my MK1 stuff).

Rhupert is definitely an option if I go with the FG.

• 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Tough + Arcane Shield on your Forgeguard are legit - the slowness though, is a kind of a junk punch.

• BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    So I'm considering getting into Warmachine and have some incredibly newbie-level questions.

If I were building say, a 15 point list, the War Caster costs no points and Warjacks only start to cost points once their point cost exceeds the caster's "Warjack Points?"
    So in a 15 point Khador list with Kommander Sorscha (5 warjack points) I could take a Decimator (9 point) and my list would still have 11 points to mess around with?

Also, in the main rules, a lot of the Power Attack actions have the phrase, "...suffers a damage roll with a POW equal to the attacker's current STR." Now, since damage is 2d6 + POW + STR, does that phrase mean that the action would cause 2d6 + POW + POW or just 2d6 + POW damage?

Even if I don't get into the game I'd like to at least understand the rules because that provides some fun theory-crafting opportunities.

Thanks in advance and sorry they're really basic question! I'm they won't be the last...

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So I'm considering getting into Warmachine and have some incredibly newbie-level questions.

If I were building say, a 15 point list, the War Caster costs no points and Warjacks only start to cost points once their point cost exceeds the caster's "Warjack Points?"
    So in a 15 point Khador list with Kommander Sorscha (5 warjack points) I could take a Decimator (9 point) and my list would still have 11 points to mess around with?

Also, in the main rules, a lot of the Power Attack actions have the phrase, "...suffers a damage roll with a POW equal to the attacker's current STR." Now, since damage is 2d6 + POW + STR, does that phrase mean that the action would cause 2d6 + POW + POW or just 2d6 + POW damage?

Even if I don't get into the game I'd like to at least understand the rules because that provides some fun theory-crafting opportunities.

Thanks in advance and sorry they're really basic question! I'm they won't be the last...

You are correct on list building. And it's 2d6+STR.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Saw this pop up on my facebook feed this morning.
    Looks like Privateer Press is bringing the hammer down on online retailers that offer too deep of discounts.
    Privateer plans to create a list of retailers that it views as “free riders,” which it defines as “retailers …offering Privateer Press products at an unsustainable deep discount and offer[ing] very little or nothing in the way of services” and will impose sanctions on distributors that sell to those retailers. The list will be updated by adding or deleting retailers as needed. Distributors that sell to retailers on Privateer’s “free rider” list will have their shipments of Privateer product, including new releases, delayed. The new policy goes into effect on April 4.

see317 on

Usually the POW of a weapon doesn't get changed ever. Its only the STR of the model that can change through various means - Deneghra 1's feat lowers it, the Maulers Animus increases it. Thats why it says "current STR". And to answer your question - "...suffers a damage roll with a POW equal to the attacker's current STR." means "2d6 + the current STR of the warnoun".

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Looks like Privateer Press is bringing the hammer down on online retailers that offer too deep of discounts.
    Privateer plans to create a list of retailers that it views as “free riders,” which it defines as “retailers …offering Privateer Press products at an unsustainable deep discount and offer[ing] very little or nothing in the way of services” and will impose sanctions on distributors that sell to those retailers. The list will be updated by adding or deleting retailers as needed. Distributors that sell to retailers on Privateer’s “free rider” list will have their shipments of Privateer product, including new releases, delayed. The new policy goes into effect on April 4.
    Sure didn't take long for them to follow in GW's footsteps

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Well... GW did that ten years ago. Almost as long as PP has existed. So it did take them quite a while.

Though technically FFG followed in GW's footsteps and PP followed in FFG's.

And it's not like Privateer's opening up their own brand of stores right next door to existing FLGS', and cutting off all organized support for the store. And then, years down the line, closing their store once they've run everyone else out of business.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I really don't have a problem with this policy. The FLGS that keep the business alive, bring in new players, and are responsible for the leagues that keep players playing can't compete with online retailers who don't own physical spaces. They aren't dropping the hammer on retailers that also have physical spaces that keep it alive, just those that don't and use the lack of expense from that to drive out those that do.

edited April 2016
    So... uh...

PP's main page is redirecting to a different site right now.

allnewwar.com

MARK 3 INCOMING MOTHERLOVERS!
    Privateer Press Announces All-New Editions of WARMACHINE and HORDES

Bellevue, WA, April 11, 2016 — Privateer Press has announced new editions of its award-winning WARMACHINE and HORDES tabletop miniatures games. The new editions will be released worldwide in independent hobby game stores on June 29, 2016. Privateer Press will release the new Core Rules for each game for free online on June 12, 2016. Players will get their first chance to play the new edition at Lock & Load GameFest 2016 in Bellevue, WA, held June 10-12.

“The current editions of the games are now six years old,” said WARMACHINE and HORDES creator and Chief Creative Officer Matt Wilson. “During that time we've accumulated a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience from observing, listening to, and interacting with our worldwide community of players and retailers about how to continue to improve their experience with our games. After years of intensive work, we’re finally ready to share the outcome of that process and give our community what they’ve been asking for in our games.”

The new editions of WARMACHINE and HORDES have been updated and redesigned to be quicker to learn while providing a more intuitive game play experience. Releasing alongside the new core rulebooks—WARMACHINE: Prime and HORDES: Primal—will be twelve new Faction Decks, one for each faction in the games. Each Faction Deck contains copies of every stat card previously released for that faction, updating a player’s entire card collection to the new edition.

Additionally, nine new Battlegroup Starter Boxes will be available at launch, and each one will introduce a new warcaster or warlock character to the games along with all the models needed to form a complete starting battlegroup. Warcasters and Warlocks are the leaders of their factions and greatly influence the performance of the player’s army on the tabletop. The Battlegroup Starters, offered at $39.99 MSRP, will also contain a Rules Digest, a Basic Training Tutorial Guide, four dice, model stat cards, a Battle Map, an obstacle card, tokens, a flexible 18” ruler, a 22-page Introductory Guide featuring army building advice, a hobby painting tutorial, a faction strategy guide, and new fiction about the warlock or warcaster in the box.

German and French language translations of WARMACHINE and HORDES will also be available through their partners Ulisses-Spiele, Victoria Games, and Cerberus Entertainment upon launch on June 29th and at localized events like the Lock & Load Outposts on June 11th.

Privateer Press is a recognized industry leader in creating a wide variety of engaging casual and competitive Organized Play experiences. Along with new books, faction decks and Battlegroup Starter Boxes, Privateer Press will unveil refreshed Organized Play offerings, including a worldwide Full Steam launch event at participating independent hobby game stores, new casual Journeyman and Narrative leagues, and competitive Steamroller events.

The launch will feature different promotions throughout the world. In North America three different launch kit bundles will be offered through Privateer’s distribution partners, each designed for a particular community size and stock volume of independent retail stores. Launch kits will ship with a special Field Kit promotional giveaway bundle that includes a branded dice bag, glue, card sleeves, and a dry erase marker with the purchase of a new Battlegroup Starter Box. Launch Kits also include a free Journeyman League Kit to get new players started in the game and four demo battlegroups that can be used to teach and promote the games. Deluxe and Premium launch kits will also ship with additional upgrades, including replacement card decks and a Full Steam Launch Event Kit. Premium launch kits will also include a free a demo table and one free, signed, limited-edition copy of WARMACHINE: Prime and HORDES: Primal.

Privateer Press will be releasing much more information about the all-new editions of WARMACHINE and HORDES leading up to Lock & Load GameFest 2016 at PrivateerPress.com, and on Facebook and Twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UBBcOVuY4U

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Pulled a couple of the new battlebox images off the site and re-hosted them.

e0ZNVga.png
    lNzMB4B.png

persona4celestia.jpg
    My LGS already announced that all (old) starters are now 50% off and rulebooks are 75% off, he wasted no time.

I find it somewhat amusing that they replaced Stryker and the Charger with Maddox and the Firefly.

• kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    If the new edition supports taking the firefly in more than a niche role it can only be to the good.

kaorti on
    It is kind of amusing that some of the models that were in the last book probably won't actually ship with those stats. I do wonder what the cut-off will be for new models that still come with Mark II cards. (Hopefully late May, since the new pig lights drop the end of May.)

Also, I wonder if this is finally the time that Cryx gets smashed with the nerf bat.

persona4celestia.jpg
    C'mon new rules for Merc armies!

• kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    Maybe being undead won't be the strongest set of immunities in the game!

Can't wait for the new edition. Although the next 2 months will basically be dead time - I am excited to find out whats new and what they are changing. I like the new concept of the battle boxes - should make it real easy to get into the game at just 40$.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    kaorti wrote: »
    Maybe being undead won't be the strongest set of immunities in the game!

It's pretty telling when you need a dedicated anti-Cryx list.

Bunch of new stuff announced in the latest Primecast:

- universal pre-measuring
    - no more command checks, no more terror
    - point system nearly doubled
    - about 28-30 WJ/WB points per caster
    - warjacks get 1 focus just for being in CTRL
    - 'locks can get a fury per round for a dead warbeast
    - gargossals got a little more powerful, but also more expensive pts wise (Conquest will cost about 4x a Juggernaut)
    - new Hordes faction at L&L 2017, was already designed from the ground up in the new edition

things I generally like, though the increased # of wjp is <yawn>. Would've preferred they just stay in the doubled range.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Yup yup yup I like the sound of this. Quite curious to see what happens!

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I'm hearing through the grapevine that these new starter boxes are all colored PVC plastics. Take this as super rumor, but if so I have to admit I'm more interested (and that also explains the pricepoint. $40 for a box, playmat, dice, tokens, ruler, rulebook, fluffbook is a hell of a value).

I'm not super interested in any of the boxes though, which kind of sucks. I wish there was a minions/mercs box, I would have been sold immediately.

Although, I'll totally be okay with not getting a Minions box if S&D end up being awesome in the new edition. It'll end up being like getting a ton of new releases if all my bad models suddenly are worth fielding.

Looking at you, Razorbacks.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    I'm hearing through the grapevine that these new starter boxes are all colored PVC plastics. Take this as super rumor, but if so I have to admit I'm more interested (and that also explains the pricepoint. $40 for a box, playmat, dice, tokens, ruler, rulebook, fluffbook is a hell of a value).

I'm not super interested in any of the boxes though, which kind of sucks. I wish there was a minions/mercs box, I would have been sold immediately.

Certainly looks that way from the photos. I thought the pictures were an "In Process" kind of thing. Guess not.

edited April 2016
    They've straight-up said that it's PVC on the forums...

... Granted, the forum servers are on fire right now, so...

EDIT:
    The new battlegroup kits are PVC plastic, unassembled.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    PVC

That's a real shame. There's a few models I'd like to paint up but I will never buy another thing cast in PVC.

Funny side note: about 75% of the tape measures seen in that video are the one sold by Games Workshop.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Because it's the only tape measure sold in game stores and gamers are too lazy to go to a hardware store.

Also it sounds like the warcasters and warlocks are going to be exclusive for a good long period to that box. They might come out somewhere down the road in metal/resin, but don't count on it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Apparently in the Primecast it's mentioned that Magnus is back in blue, and Leto is gone.

The status quo if that is true: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

persona4celestia.jpg
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Also it sounds like the warcasters and warlocks are going to be exclusive for a good long period to that box. They might come out somewhere down the road in metal/resin, but don't count on it.

I gotta decide which of these factions to pick up, then

Maybe...Cryx? Trolls? I don't knowwww

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

- gargossals got a little more powerful, but also more expensive pts wise (Conquest will cost about 4x a Juggernaut)
    - new Hordes faction at L&L 2017, was already designed from the ground up in the new edition

I'd heard the new Hordes faction was going to be introduced sometimes this year. I hope it's this year. I'm super fucking excited to find out who they are.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Just got back into wm&h again and picked Ret. Hopefully by June I'll have more mans money and I can get / decide on my hordes faction though I feel I'll just end up with trolls , unless the pigs update to 3rd makes them more enticing.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

TheBigEasy wrote: »

I'd heard the new Hordes faction was going to be introduced sometimes this year. I hope it's this year. I'm super fucking excited to find out who they are.

They are teasing the faction at this year's L&L

Nobody wrote: »
    Apparently in the Primecast it's mentioned that Magnus is back in blue, and Leto is gone.

The only Merc caster who got an epic version gets removed. Boooooo