As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Hyper Light Drifter] is on a CO-OP mission

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Fighting the south boss
    felt kind of like fighting another player, but one who didn't know how to use the controls.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    South Boss Spoiler:
    I thought Fake Module and the Scythe Guy were actually somewhat challenging, but I guess they technically aren't "the South Boss", even though the NPC that reveals the boss seems to think Scythe Guy is the actual leader.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I actually died more to South than East. In that I actually died twice to the South boss, because mines. Then I remembered I had a grenade and things went easy from there.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I don't know what happened between now and when I started, but this game's performance has turned terrible.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    This feels like a game that is going to make for some terrifically entertaining speedruns to watch.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    oh wow actually yeah
    the tas at the very least should be nuts

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Oddfish wrote: »
    Gripes about lack of handholding and the level of difficulty are amusing. Go play Mega Man or Super Mario Bros. Every boss/zone had a trick to figure out and every level had secrets with no indicators whatsoever. I like having to scratch my head every once in a while or take chances on a boss or secret area.

Yes, because game design from 30 years ago totally justifies poor design decisions for new games.

Something like Arkham Asylum is packed with fun, challenging secrets to find and solve, and there is literally one secret in the entire game which is hidden in such a way that the player would not reasonably be able to find it. And that was an awesomely-hidden easter egg anyway.

HLD's chief problem is some poor design decisions, not that it's too hard or it doesn't have enough "handholding".

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Not that I've found everything, nor want to.

But I found a lot of stuff by going "huh, there's some walkable stuff at the edge of the screen" or "oh look, a single conspicuous LED" or "huh, why would there be a dead end here with literally nothing in it". You can pretty quickly get a sense for when there's something available.

(I also smashed my face into every wall just for good measure, so maybe I'm full of shit!)

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    edited April 2016
    ok beated it - went into last fight with 10 keys, all upgrades (but only the rifle upgrade for guns), ~28 triangles and who knows how many monoliths
    think i'll just call it there

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Huzzah, beat the game today! Finished up South and then did the final boss. Clocked in ~10 hours. Didn't really go for secrets or anything. Secrets felt a bit... hmm, not really worthwhile? Like they didn't really reward you with much considering the amount of effort required. Game felt a wee bit short, despite clocking 10 hours, but it felt good regardless. I think a lot of people wanted something more Zelda-esque (myself included), particularly like Link To The Past or something. Yknow, like big expansive overworld kinda deal. But again, I think it was a good game for what it was, it didn't overstay its welcome or anything. I'm happy with how it turned out. South maybe felt a bit shallow compared to N/W/E. Boss fights were great. Combat was great. Good-ass game.

Personal musings aside, South boss was uh... yeah, kinda pathetically easy, haha. Also if there was a weapon from the South boss, I guess I missed it, cause I didn't see anything. Final boss was really cool. Definitely felt final boss worthy.

Now I'm digging into all these lore theories and such. Crazy.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Secrets felt a bit... hmm, not really worthwhile? Like they didn't really reward you with much considering the amount of effort required.

Honestly my biggest gripe overall about the "secrets", considering how much more effort they put into hiding them then they did into giving the player ways to find them.

I mean, I only wasted a couple of hours looking for them and I still felt like I was cheated out of my time, because it's hard to get less rewarding than finding one more key meaning you can find something as utterly amazing as another lousy bit or a triangle or something.

Seriously, give me anything more about the lore of the setting, such as what the hell the big robots from the intro have to do with anything. Or why I'm in this world. Or what a "hyper light drifter" even fucking does. Because there's a pretty wide gulf between "show, don't tell" and the almost nonexistent exposition here.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Huzzah, beat the game today! Finished up South and then did the final boss. Clocked in ~10 hours. Didn't really go for secrets or anything. Secrets felt a bit... hmm, not really worthwhile? Like they didn't really reward you with much considering the amount of effort required. Game felt a wee bit short, despite clocking 10 hours, but it felt good regardless. I think a lot of people wanted something more Zelda-esque (myself included), particularly like Link To The Past or something. Yknow, like big expansive overworld kinda deal. But again, I think it was a good game for what it was, it didn't overstay its welcome or anything. I'm happy with how it turned out. South maybe felt a bit shallow compared to N/W/E. Boss fights were great. Combat was great. Good-ass game.

Personal musings aside, South boss was uh... yeah, kinda pathetically easy, haha. Also if there was a weapon from the South boss, I guess I missed it, cause I didn't see anything. Final boss was really cool. Definitely felt final boss worthy.

Now I'm digging into all these lore theories and such. Crazy.

there is a weapon from the south but it's not from the boss
    it's behind the eight-triangle door in the eastern part of the region

secrets in general aren't super great in this game, it's most important that you just find as many gearbits as you can

the outfits are neat but the most of the ones you can get early are ugly and none of them have a very big impact on the game

• HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    "Finished" this yesterday, now going back through and trying to hit more of the secrets.

Can anyone point me to where the 8-triangle door in the East is? I found the 8 key one, but can't find the door. Is there one? I feel like there must be...

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
    There definitely is one as that was the only zone I got all the stuff in

unfortunately I don't recall where it was - i kind of have a vague idea but I wouldn't want to give ya wrong info

CD World Tour status:
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    FYI soundtrack for HLD releases April 12th. $5 on Disasterpeace's bandcamp (or pay more if you want), not sure if it'll end up on iTunes.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Hyperion wrote: »
    Can anyone point me to where the 8-triangle door in the East is? I found the 8 key one, but can't find the door. Is there one? I feel like there must be...

If you look at the map, you'll see a giant monolith to the northwest of the Eastern teleport pad and that's more or less where you'll find it.

• HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Hyperion wrote: »

If you look at the map, you'll see a giant monolith to the northwest of the Eastern teleport pad and that's more or less where you'll find it.

Found it. Thank you!

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Secrets felt a bit... hmm, not really worthwhile? Like they didn't really reward you with much considering the amount of effort required.

Honestly my biggest gripe overall about the "secrets", considering how much more effort they put into hiding them then they did into giving the player ways to find them.

I mean, I only wasted a couple of hours looking for them and I still felt like I was cheated out of my time, because it's hard to get less rewarding than finding one more key meaning you can find something as utterly amazing as another lousy bit or a triangle or something.

Seriously, give me anything more about the lore of the setting, such as what the hell the big robots from the intro have to do with anything. Or why I'm in this world. Or what a "hyper light drifter" even fucking does. Because there's a pretty wide gulf between "show, don't tell" and the almost nonexistent exposition here.

I will say the "rooms" with the secrets can be pretty badass. Like there's one
    on the east side of the library in the North that leads into what feels like an awesome...library headquarters, and then you go farther, down a staircase and outside
    and you're high up with a unique vista and it just feels pretty epic. I hear ya on the lore though.

Also re difficulty:
    I just can't believe anyone would fight the Western or Northern bosses without multi-dash and think it's even a winnable fight. I'm sure some psycho will do it, but I mean for us mere mortals..

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Are there any good pages listing all the available upgrades and prices? Since it takes a fairly long time (at least at the beginning) to get the needed gear bits, I'd rather make informed shopping decisions...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    MadPen wrote: »

on the east side of the library in the North that leads into what feels like an awesome...library headquarters, and then you go farther, down a staircase and outside
    and you're high up with a unique vista and it just feels pretty epic. I hear ya on the lore though.

Also re difficulty:
    I just can't believe anyone would fight the Western or Northern bosses without multi-dash and think it's even a winnable fight. I'm sure some psycho will do it, but I mean for us mere mortals..

Yeah I did north with the base kit because I just figured north was first from the about:triangles console using that as the example

CD World Tour status:
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Is there an upgrade that lets you dash through enemies unharmed?

There's a fight I'm slightly stuck on in the East (just started playing) that it would REALLY help for.

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »

Also re difficulty:

Hi.

I beat North and then West with more or less the base kit.

That's crazy. The west boss I can maybe see, but honestly if you've got that pause after you dash, the north boss seems like it would be...REALLY hard.

I did west then north. West took me 3 tries and I pretty much only had multi-dash. North took me...I dunno, more than 10, with most things.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    Is there an upgrade that lets you dash through enemies unharmed?

There's a fight I'm slightly stuck on in the East (just started playing) that it would REALLY help for.

the dash attack from the sword trainer lets you go through enemies

most of the time

the big carnivorous plants in the east can't be harmed while they're attacking, but if you do a dash attack into their attack you won't take any damage, at least

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    What is the difference between the two dash attacks?

I had the dash attack from the dash trainer. It was good against big swarms of weak enemies, but otherwise it was not very useful.

The other one has invulnerability and a push, I gather?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited April 2016
    both have base damage of 2

the dash stab has a bunch of knockback and can be used to cancel your dashes (meaning you can keep yourself from going into a slide after 4+ dashes in a chain)

the slash has contact invulnerability (I thiiiink it is even projectile-immune but I'm not sure), can be canceled into from any standard sword attack, and moves you through enemies

I also think it has a bigger hitbox

I don't think it has any push

which one is better is largely a matter of preference, but the contact invulnerability on the slash makes it undeniably more useful against bosses, against whom the stab does reduced damage and puts you into a brief stun

Shorty on
    Almost finished with the game. I do believe it's time to start clamoring for a sequel. I will also accept a prequel.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    So other then the black outfit is there any real incentive to play new game + or should I just reload my profile and start hunting for keys if I want to play more Hyper light drifter?

The extra, I assume it was the pink, hunter was available at higher ks tiers where they are available after game clear. There's gonna be dlc for that eventually and supposedly the play style is different

CD World Tour status:
    nope it's a drifter that isn't in the game

concept art:
    hyper-light-drifter-alternate-drifter.jpg

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Question, I haven't really played a lot but man this game has updated a ton this past week. Are there any major bugs I should be aware of?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    there aren't any stability issues in the game that I've heard of or experienced

there's one notable bug associated with new game+ but it can be resolved in-game
    you're supposed to start with the basic pistol in ng+ but sometimes you don't for some reason

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    LOL, i think i went for the hardest boss order.

i went North, West then East.

North boss took me, like, over an hour.

West boss? At least half that if not less.

I did the East boss in on my first try.

Anyway, the game is great and i got my first outfit (yellowish one, no idea what it does). yayness.

Anyway, the game is great and i got my first outfit (yellowish one, no idea what it does). yayness.

I did the same my first time, though I think the north boss is easier than the west

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    I get squished by smashy blocks a lot. Nothing else in the game so far has killed me as many times as the smashy blocks in North have.

what a happy day it is
    Shorty wrote: »

I did the same my first time, though I think the north boss is easier than the west

I respectfully disagree with this lunatic assertion. ;)

you can rush down the North boss, since his attack pattern is way easier to deal with after he loses a bunch of health

you can also use the power attack on him more frequently since he doesn't have any melee attacks, and he's not more mobile than you without the chain dash like the west boss is

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    oh man, just dealt with the Southern area.
    So many cool bosses!

Shorty wrote: »
    you can rush down the North boss, since his attack pattern is way easier to deal with after he loses a bunch of health

you can also use the power attack on him more frequently since he doesn't have any melee attacks, and he's not more mobile than you without the chain dash like the west boss is

Yeah, I dunno, maybe constant unpredictable squares of death popping up underneath my feet panicked me. You're not wrong about his attack pattern getting easier to deal with. Took me a number of tries to even get to that point with any health, though.

obviously if you had a harder time with one than the other, that's not something I can just say you're wrong about

but if I were to recommend a play order to someone coming to the game, I'd probably say east>north>west

that's just as much due to the enemies you fight though, those in the west are way tougher than any of those elsewhere

overall I think the game is pretty well-balanced, it's just that the shotgun is clearly so much better than every other gun, even the one you get five minutes before the last boss