As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX Boardgame Night: Ep. 2016, THE DICE AWAKEN

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Will attend to this week. People if you are attending and looking forward to this then remember it might not have happened if it were not for this individual.

Lexi - I am assuming there is not any corporate policy precluding or limiting this. Would not wish this person to be put in a position of having to turn down our gesture of gratitude.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    robirex wrote: »
    How much are you shooting for on the GoFundMe campaign? https://www.gofundme.com/PrePAXGameNight

As much as we can get. $50 is a cheap pedicure, $1000 is an overnight at a spa hotel on Cape Cod.
    rtm416 wrote: »
    Hey everybody - please don't forget that we're running a fundraiser to thank the Westin manager that rescued this event for us. Every little contributions counts! http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/34877701/#Comment_34877701

I'm not sure if this is in the cards, but a jar or something at Info might be the best method. You're more likely to get 10 people giving $2 than one giving $20.

True - I'm gonna do something like that too.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • FastrFastr Registered User regular
    I'd like to throw some money in but don't want to set up a gofundme account. Will we have something on site set up to donate?

• robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    Fastr wrote: »
    I'd like to throw some money in but don't want to set up a gofundme account. Will we have something on site set up to donate?

No need to set up an account. They just ask for your name and CC info.

6pq9je4.png

What @robirex said. But yeah, I'll have a collection jar on site too.

What @robirex said. But yeah, I'll have a collection jar on site too.

Sweet, you can count on 5 bucks from me then!... Then.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Whelp I gotta get my badges from will call at the BCEC on Thursday night, so I'm probably going to make a stop off with y'all to get a game in before heading back to my crash space for the con. Thanks to all the volunteers for helping me get to the PAXing as early as possible this year!

• TheGameGuruTheGameGuru Registered User regular
    Made a donation to the GoFundMe for the Westin manager yesterday... Bumping this thread for visibility :)

https://www.gofundme.com/PrePAXGameNight

So PA TV will be at game night this year filming. They're doing an episode on PAX-related community events. Just a head's up to be aware of the camera if you don't want to be on film - I'm sure they'll be cool with respecting peoples' wishes. On the other hand, if you're obnoxiously desperate to get on PA TV and make a total douchehole of yourself, maaaaaaybe you won't get what you want.

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Huh, neat!

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • AppleguysnakeAppleguysnake Registered User regular
    I'll be bringing a few games, although not sure which ones yet (likely Codenames, Sheriff of Nottingham, Exploding Kittens, Cash & Guns and whatever else I throw in my bag).

Please bring Codenames! I've had people telling me about that for a while but I haven't gotten the chance to play it!

edited April 2016
    I have a copy of Codenames as well. Pondering whether to bring Betrayal at House on the Hill. It is a bit bulky and I am limited by checked baggage (airline charges for all checked baggage - I remember a time when airlines actually provided a service).

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
    I'll be bringing a few games, although not sure which ones yet (likely Codenames, Sheriff of Nottingham, Exploding Kittens, Cash & Guns and whatever else I throw in my bag).

Please bring Codenames! I've had people telling me about that for a while but I haven't gotten the chance to play it!

code names is small and thus very portable, AND AWESOME! I'm sure plenty of people will have it! I gotta pick up spyfall..

aBByNormaL wrote: »
    I have a copy of Codenames as well. Pondering whether to bring Betrayal at House on the Hill. It is a bit bulky and I am limited by checked baggage (airline charges for all checked baggage - I remember a time when airlines actually provided a service).

I'll have Betrayal at the House on the Hill if you do not want to lug it around. I would love to get a game of that in :)

6pq9je4.png
    edited April 2016
    deal me in (love Betrayal).... I have 4 in my party so we could have an instant game lol

aBByNormaL on
    If anyone has a copy of Ghost Stories I would love to play that as well. I played a game of it at a local con and had a great time ... even on an easy scenario we barely survived ... awesome game.

• craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Has anyone thought about posting the GoFundMe on the PAX Subreddit?

DXLJjjr.png
    edited April 2016
    craiola wrote: »

I am old and crusty and do not, as you kids say, "red it". Could you do the honors? It would be muchly appreciated, since the response has been pretty poor so far.

As a side note, although there will be a jar for donations at the event, it's not going to collect much. There will be competition from the Cookie Brigade for donations, and unless I sit there and explain it to every person who walks in, most people will ignore it. Sitting there all night completely defeats my goal of actually gaming this year.

This event almost didn't happen, you guys. . I'm really sad to see that once I put up a fundraising effort, everyone stuck their hands in their pockets and uncomfortably looked away. If you take this event for granted, you will lose it. Show some appreciation and pony up a couple of bucks to say thanks.

LexiconGrrl on
    Lexi, will attend to this on the weekend. Had a tough week with a brutal provincial budget so have been a bit preoccupied. Did someone say you need to set up an account just to contribute ... seems counterintuitive but will figure it out.

• monkoshmonkosh NYCRegistered User regular

I am old and crusty and do not, as you kids say, "red it". Could you do the honors? It would be muchly appreciated, since the response has been pretty poor so far.

As a side note, although there will be a jar for donations at the event, it's not going to collect much. There will be competition from the Cookie Brigade for donations, and unless I sit there and explain it to every person who walks in, most people will ignore it. Sitting there all night completely defeats my goal of actually gaming this year.

This event almost didn't happen, you guys. . I'm really sad to see that once I put up a fundraising effort, everyone stuck their hands in their pockets and uncomfortably looked away. If you take this event for granted, you will lose it. Show some appreciation and pony up a couple of bucks to say thanks.

Yeah but it is still a business decision for the hotel. Either they set up something for us and we award them with purchases of food and drinks from them in somewhat organized matter or they have attendees create their gaming sessions in unorganized matter within the lobby with very limited obligation to make purchases from them. Not everyone is on the forums so people might not know the event was canceled and still show up and want to play games. Do not think they are doing out of the goodness of their heart.

Also do not shame or tell people how they should spend their money. People are already going on an expensive trip and can decide how to spend their money without your input.
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    Lexi, will attend to this on the weekend. Had a tough week with a brutal provincial budget so have been a bit preoccupied. Did someone say you need to set up an account just to contribute ... seems counterintuitive but will figure it out.

No account need be created. Just type your postal code, email, and card details.

iec5nehi4ot3.png
    edited April 2016

I would be happy to put a post up. I hope you don't mind if I take your original post? I'll obviously "quote" you and give you credit. I just want to help raise awareness!

EDIT: Post created. Reddit Users can go here to upvote for visibility:
    https://reddit.com/r/PAX/comments/4ex8h1/pax_east_pre_pax_board_game_night_fundraiser/

craiola on
    DXLJjjr.png
    monkosh wrote: »
    Also do not shame or tell people how they should spend their money. People are already going on an expensive trip and can decide how to spend their money without your input.

I get that it is an expensive trip and that ultimately it is a business decision for the hotel, however it was the efforts of a manager which allowed this event to proceed this year - to find a solution when the usual space was not available. Being displaced was a business decision too - paying corporate customers are a much more attractive clientele than a group of gamers who may or may not order food and drinks. The problem is that people sometimes take it for granted that this will always be a thing - but without the effort of individuals it may well not have happened and that would have been a loss to the community. This is not about shaming people, it is asking that people consider stepping up and recognize someone for their efforts.

edited April 2016
    A) No account is needed to contribute.

B) The hotel is losing money on this event this year. The cost of staff and setup will not be covered by the small bar that they're setting up temporarily in the event space, and they're opening it up to takeout food from other vendors so they're probably going to lose a few thousands of dollars in revenue from the restaurant.

C) There are a lot of assumptions about how money works at these events, and it's imperative to know that a rental for this event would run us about $10,000 at the standard rates. The hotels are in no way obligated to give us this space and we have successfully negotiated it over the years because we push hard to get people to spend their money at the event and come close to the rental cost in food and drink tickets.

D) Am I shaming people into contributing? ABSO FUCKING LUTELY. We are not owed this event, and this year all hotels shut us down but one manager - one individual - took it on herself to save it for us. We have no idea what the conversations were in her office or what the internal politics were that got it going, but I guarantee you that her bosses were not excited about the idea of losing money on a bunch of gamers. So yeah, shame on you if you're taking it for granted.

If people are going to take this event for granted, and assume that a corporation rewards managers who fight for revenue losses, and bitch when they're called out for being douchey, then we're going to lose the event because nobody likes to stick their neck out and get it shat upon. Showing gratitude and appreciation for the significant amount of work and risk that went in to this event is the right thing to do.

Note that at the end of the day, it's completely up to each person's conscience whether they want to contribute or not. If you don't have the money, that's completely okay - not everybody can contribute and this message isn't meant for you. But when almost nobody contributes, and I know that there's way more resources that are being withheld for bad or ignorant reasons, it makes a clear statement about how badly the community really wants this event (or doesn't), and that's why I'm calling it out.

[Edit]: We're up to $190 in the fund, and thank you very much to everyone who chipped in. It means a lot to the continued success of this event and my personal faith in the community at large.

LexiconGrrl on
    edited April 2016

I think that is shaming. Misread response

B) The hotel is losing money on this event this year. The cost of staff and setup will not be covered by the small bar that they're setting up temporarily in the event space, and they're opening it up to takeout food from other vendors so they're probably going to lose a few thousands of dollars in revenue from the restaurant.

I have my doubts that they would do if the lost a lot money from this event.
    C) There are a lot of assumptions about how money works at these events, and it's imperative to know that a rental for this event would run us about $10,000 at the standard rates. The hotels are in no way obligated to give us this space and we have successfully negotiated it over the years because we push hard to get people to spend their money at the event and come close to the rental cost in food and drink tickets.

You do not get any money if the rental area is not in use so if they can't get someone to pay the rental space, it is better to hold a free event for others to use for drink purchases from the event.

monkosh on
    iec5nehi4ot3.png

I think that is shaming.

If you read her whole post she said she was shaming and she wasn't ashamed of it. People don't have to give money, but chipping in a few bucks here or there for an event that normally costs $10k isn't much. And at the end of the day, you DONT have to donate. Shaming people does not make people donate. It influences them yes, but that's it. correlation does not equal causation.

DXLJjjr.png
    edited April 2016

D) Am I shaming people into contributing? ABSO FUCKING LUTELY. We are not owed this event, and this year all hotels shut us down but one manager - one individual - took it on herself to save it for us. We have no idea what the conversations were in her office or what the internal politics were that got it going, but I guarantee you that her bosses were not excited about the idea of losing money on a bunch of gamers. So yeah, shame on you if you're taking it for granted.

So you like shaming the poor and people unable to pay while working paycheck to paycheck and may have save up for this one trip to PAX. Good for you.

monkosh on
    iec5nehi4ot3.png
    If that's what you want to construe it as sure. But that's not what I see. She's putting pressure for people to chip in what they can. If they can't spare anything, then fine. In no way has she been telling people they HAVE to donate.

DXLJjjr.png
    edited April 2016
    So you like shaming the poor and people unable to pay while working paycheck to paycheck and may have save up for this one trip to PAX. Good for you.

Please read the entirety of posts.
    ... If you don't have the money, that's completely okay - not everybody can contribute and this message isn't meant for you. ...

LexiconGrrl on
  • CommanderZimCommanderZim Registered User regular
    I don't think people aren't/didn't donate because they didn't want to. I think visibility is an issue with the fundraising page at the moment. The Reddit post is a good idea and I think maybe even a separate forum post (borderline cause we don't want duplicate threads on the forum for the same thing) would work. Also, could we make a small flyer and put it on all of the tables to let people know about the donation jar at the front?

Honestly, I think people haven't donated because of visibility of that page. As Monkosh is trying to say too, you have to consider people's pay periods. Some people (*coughMEcough*) could be waiting to get paid or have the funds available. I'm donating when I get home, but I had to wait for this paycheck.

• AppleguysnakeAppleguysnake Registered User regular

@monkosh She specifically said that if you can't contribute that's fine, but was disappointed at the sudden lack of interest from people who were participating in this very long thread and were very eager to make this happen. Most people who can afford a trip like this are not living paycheck to paycheck, and Lexi was just frustrated to see only 15 donations from an event that brings a couple hundred people.

You are at worst being rude and insensitive, at best having a pointless argument.

I am sorry for being stupidly overly harsh on posts. I know that the hard work and luck is involved from everyone include workers at the hotel and people on the forums to set this up. I do appreciate the work. I just do not like people saying i should spend my money in a way (and feel sad because it) or feel thankful for a business for doing something that makes business sense.

iec5nehi4ot3.png
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    @LexiconGrrl consider me adequately shamed. :biggrin:

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

edited April 2016
    I am sorry for being stupidly overly harsh on posts. I know that the hard work and luck is involved from everyone include workers at the hotel and people on the forums to set this up. I do appreciate the work. I just do not like people saying i should spend my money in a way (and feel sad because it) or feel thankful for a business for doing something that makes business sense.

That's the thing - this year it doesn't make business sense. I don't have the time to put together a lengthy spreadsheet showing the cost of staff versus income versus overhead to prove that, so as someone who's worked hard to put this event together for many years, you'll just have to trust me when I say that the hotel is losing money on us this year. This event was pulled out of the shitter by one manager who likes us. If this event made money for the hotel, we wouldn't be having this conversation because it would have been scheduled months ago with no problems.

LexiconGrrl on
  • rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    @LexiconGrrl Is there a way to change the title to something reminding people they can donate? Something like PPGN 2016: Donations Open

SK3ozR5.png
    Noob to the forums here. Contributed to this the first day that I came to the forums when I saw the work that was involved. Dismiss this if you would like, but I think anyone who attends should try to find a few bucks to throw into this.

6pq9je4.png
    rtm416 wrote: »
    @LexiconGrrl Is there a way to change the title to something reminding people they can donate? Something like PPGN 2016: Donations Open

Nah, I think I've made enough noise. We're almost at $400, which is fantastic!! Thanks again to everyone who chipped in. We'll have a big card or something there to sign.

Non topical update!! The game room downstairs will be open as late as needed, so we won't need to wrap up early. We can game down there all night if we want, but the mobile downstairs bar will be shut down at 11:00 or earlier if the bartender feels it's not busy enough to justify it.

• Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    I just wanted to stop by and say THANK YOU to @LexiconGrrl for making this happen! I was dissapointed to hear we might be kicked out of the Westin this year, but you worked your magic again! Thank you so much for all that you do for our community!

Who is going to PAX South?
  • TheGameGuruTheGameGuru Registered User regular
    Glad to see the GoFundMe has gotten such a good response in the past couple days, I was a little worried at first. To whoever gave $100, you are awesome! I will definitely be shaming my friends to donating when we get to Boston as well if they don't donate beforehand.

• DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Ha, it's at 420. I'm 15yo.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho