As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

skate 3: witty title under construction

• SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Oh, and here's a vid I did a while back of a sick line I did at the Art House.

YT

im speaking out of ignorance here, but wouldnt that have racked up like 800 points in tony hawk?

Sam on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

I've seen videos of people doing hippy flips off that, and landing on the bench for a grind. Doesn't seem like a very good spot at first glance but once you skate it there's a bunch of stuff to do.

xzzy on
    edited November 2007
    Sam wrote: »

YT

im speaking out of ignorance here, but wouldnt that have racked up like 800 points in tony hawk?

I could be two thousand in skate. The game rewards heavily for stacking grinds like that, and is the easiest way to run up your multiplier.

xzzy on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    xzzy wrote: »

YT

I could be two thousand in skate. The game rewards heavily for stacking grinds like that, and is the easiest way to run up your multiplier.

so do you not need to link everything with manuals to have any hope of playing competitively?

Sam on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    xzzy wrote: »

YT

so do you not need to link everything with manuals to have any hope of playing competitively?

Rather than having to have everything be a continuous linked trick, you get a score for the trick and a score for the line. So you can do a whole bunch of flips in a grind line that for a huge line multiplier, then run off and hit something else with that to score massive points.
    Personally, I still prefer to try and make things look natural and realistic, rather than crazy THPS stuff.
    Also, I finally got the "keep playing" (or whatever it's called) achievement today for getting the last of the spots, and I'm still finding new places to skate. Like that giant drainage run up the very top of the map, that launches across the street? Never seen it until today.
    This game is so awesome.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    The game also keeps track of your "sequence" which is a series of tricks between the time all four wheels leave the ground, and the next time all four wheels touch the ground. So chaining moves together with a manual does increase your score. A flip to manual to flip will pump up your multiplier better than a flip to landing to flip.

xzzy on
    edited November 2007
    And then you find a nice ledge to grind, or a ramp/drop to hit, and forget all about scores and multipliers, and just go do the sweetest trick you can think of.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    Pretty much, yeah.

Unless you're trying to do one of those retarded film challenges.

xzzy on
    edited November 2007
    Which was one thing I had a problem with. You've got a game with some awesome, fluid mechanics that can create some really natural and flowing skating, and for those challenges they ask you to go all THPS for 30 seconds. Oh well, at least I've now beaten them.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    Game is damn stingy on achievements too.. got some 40 hours or so in the damn thing and only 360 points?

Stop cockblocking me bitch!

xzzy on
    edited November 2007
    Whoah, harsh. I think I'm just missing the Milestone one, and most online ones.

edit: Just seen, I've only got 485. What the hell, skate?

but then, I do have such a lovely picture
    rC7QKgAAAADXX1R1IRJ8AA.JPG

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I need to get 20 comments on my video for an achievement. How the fuck am I supposed to do that. Wait, I know- I'll have all of you do it for me.

Comment on this video, because it's the only one I'm going to actually keep up for any amount of time.

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2007
    Comment'd!

People can comment on this one if they'd be so kind, I'll leave it up for now
    http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/2795/posts/570982.aspx

edit: well I did leave a comment, but it's not showing.. strange.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • japhjaph Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm calling the miniramp/halfpipe in behind the subway station before the rec park, for filming. its hard as hell to skate, but pretty rad.

japh on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, the comments thing seems bugged... anyway, like half to a third of the achievments are for online stuff.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Yessss, broke all my bones 10 times each (the Danny Way playground megaramp is the best way, there's a great angle I found that was breaking up to 11 bones a time), and I'm just grinding out the "3 hours in a no-skate zone" now for the last of the offline achievements. Nice.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, after renting it a couple weeks ago, I finally picked up skate. And I still can't get the McKay challenge...

But I did realize from reading the previous thread that I was missing out on half the challenges with the Thrasher magazine stuff. I've pretty much only been doing the skateboard magazine stuff. so that's a whole buncha new stuff for me to do...

jimb213 on
    edited November 2007
    I missed out most of the Skateboard mag ones until I'd completed the Thrasher career, then went and did those after. You're not missing out on anything. You can also go and do any uncompleted challenges at the end of the game, too. I just finished all the offline challenges tonight!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah I did the SBMag ones long, long, before I finished the Thrasher stuff.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Well, considering you get access to Thrasher until about your second picture or so in the Mag.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    I'm now proud to be past the half-way mark. I might actually try for as many of the online achievements as I can get, because some of them don't seem that bad.
    Also, breaking my left femur 10 times was more challenging than I'd expect.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wish terribly that I could get in on this but I just can't get the stupid skate.reel site to work for me at all. *cry*

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
    edited November 2007
    That really sucks. It's probably one of the only complaints I have about the game, that the skate.reel site gives so many people these problems, locking them out of a large part of the game.
    :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    Yep.

And the only complaint I have about the actual game is that I can't get off my board.

It becomes a monumental task to get to the top of some steps.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, it would be very nice to be able to get off my board. That said, for the most part, I've almost always found there's a logical way to get to anywhere I'd like to go. One or two places I've given up on, but most I can get to if need be. But it would be even better to be able to get off and go climbing or exploring across the city to find even more places.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Yep.

And the only complaint I have about the actual game is that I can't get off my board.

It becomes a monumental task to get to the top of some steps.
    I read in an interview that they had planned for walking to be in the game at the beginning, but that if they would have it would have taken away from the rest of the game, citing stuff as slants, ramps, and pools as difficulties.

Makes sense, but I still would have loved it to be in it.

Since I'm poor, I don't have the game, but I play the demo a lot. I managed to pull this off north of the community center. As I was celebrating, a car decided to ruin my fun.

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/6081/posts/575721.aspx

YardGnome on
    edited November 2007
    http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/2795/posts/577860.aspx

I think I'd like to do a better flip over the first jump, but this took long enough to get right in the end.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/2795/posts/577860.aspx

I think I'd like to do a better flip over the first jump, but this took long enough to get right in the end.

You know you don't have to put slowmo on the entire video, right? :P

YardGnome on
    edited November 2007
    I do, but it's because I want to edit it later, and if everything's at regular speed, then I can't slow it down without making it look like ass. I do it all at 50 or 75%, so I can then speed it up afterwards. If I want things slow, then I have the frames already there.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    I had that same idea, but never really implemented it. It would save time from going back to the other sections and slowing them down.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Hahaha. Oh man.

I finished The Skateboard Mag and did the Megacomplex challenge, and all of a sudden I had 40 of 44 achievements unlocked. Including a bunch of online ones, despite my only being online to upload stuff, and never actually playing an online match.

But I'm not complaining, no sir.

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2007
    That's crazy. I think the same thing happened to my friend because he has almost all the online achievements.

Thing is... he doesn't have a Gold account.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited November 2007
    OH MAN GUYS. MOST EXCITING VIDEO I HAVE EVER MADE.

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/34923/posts/580551.aspx

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2007
    Primus, I swapped your video in the list.
    I might have a different spot I want to hit, after finding it yesterday, but I haven't uploaded a video yet.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I miss this game. I was so into it when it launched. Remember we were all wondering if you could really do that hippy flip at first, then BAM this happened to me: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=2924027&postcount=1282
    I should really play this awesome game more.
    I got Halo 3, then TF2, I guess skate just got lost in the shuffle.

Smashism on
    edited November 2007
    You know, I tried for a good many minutes yesterday to pull one of those. Got so close every time, but kept catching a foot on the rail and slamming head-first into the ground. My parents were sat nearby, and probably wondered why I was trying, repeatedly, to kill my mans.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You know, I tried for a good many minutes yesterday to pull one of those. Got so close every time, but kept catching a foot on the rail and slamming head-first into the ground. My parents were sat nearby, and probably wondered why I was trying, repeatedly, to kill my mans.

IM IN UR RAILZ, KILLIN UR MANZ!1

I could only manage to pull it off in either the double kickflip or double heelflip. If anyone did a shuv it hippy flip. You are my new god.

Smashism on
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I was getting closest with double flips, but I guess I was either launching too early, or the rail was just at the wrong height. It'd be nice to do, but I'm not overly worried about it.
    Now, I just need to go load up freeskate and ride around for hours.

edit: this is a reeally nice line http://www.goonskate.com/video.php?id=1390

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm so old, I remember when flatland tricks were the shit. Too bad Skate doesn't really have the engine for it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited November 2007
    I'm so old, I remember when flatland tricks were the shit. Too bad Skate doesn't really have the engine for it.

I was under the impression that they were cut at the last minute. I don't see why it doesn't have the engine for it, it would just need some careful implementation on the controls.

Also, I was watching the videos in the 'Extras' section, and they're all really good. The credits (the half that has the video, at least) were also really good. All-in-all, skate is a really, really good production.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png