As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Work sixteen [Job] and what do you get...

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I'd imagine it's the basis for imposter syndrome.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    the spelling ability of these kids is defies all comprehension sometimes. I can't even begin to understand how to you can misspell "soldier" as "slogger"

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Daimar wrote: »
    When I was in college I had one of my dad's VISA cards for emergencies and it wasn't signed. I had it for two years before anyone bothered to look on the back of it and point out it wasn't signed. I signed it at the till and the cashier was happy with that. I don't think anyone has checked the signature on my own credit cards.

Also, for anyone that has the option to get a chip on their cards but just hasn't because it hasn't come up for renewal yet go request one from your bank ASAP. A card without a chip is much easier to scam than a chipped card and you don't want to be fighting with your bank or worrying if $500 gets taken out of your account.

This shouldn't really be anything the user has to deal with. They just changed the law about who is responsible for fraudulent transactions. If the merchant has a chip reader but the card does not the merchant gets to tell the credit card company they pay for any fraud on chip enabled cards. Once that happened, suddenly the big card issuers were all about issuing cards with chips in them.

Of course, if the card has a chip and the reader doesn't have a chip reader then fraud now lands on the merchant. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was the CC companies pushing for the change in law.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    the spelling ability of these kids is defies all comprehension sometimes. I can't even begin to understand how to you can misspell "soldier" as "slogger"

Well, if you do it phonetically.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Had to go to one of our hospitals to work with a user on a report they requested and she gave me a tour of our Integrative Therapies area for the cancer center. It was pretty cool. There's a yoga and art therapy room, a couple massage rooms, and a big room with a project and 12 big comfy chairs so patients and their families can watch movies.

steam_sig.png
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I have no idea how to write a cheque!

Liiya wrote: »

Do you have a checking account? I can teach you. To start with, put a large number in the "Amount" box, then write out that same number in words on the line below. Next, on the "Pay to the order of" line, write "Joel...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited April 2016

it's still not even close as slog sounds nothing like sold, you make totally different movements with your mouth to sound them out. I don't mind fixing typos but the thing that gets me is when they add stuff to the dictionary. I hope there is something to restore all dictionary settings to default at the end of the year

Jars on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Do you have a checking account? I can teach you. To start with, put a large number in the "Amount" box, then write out that same number in words on the line below. Next, on the "Pay to the order of" line, write "Joel...

Ya know what? Just sign the signature line and I'll take care of the rest.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish

it's still not even close as slog sounds nothing like sold

What do you mean? Soldier, rhymes with "lager" and "Frogger",

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Frogger Lager sounds pretty good.
    I might be more into a round of Crystal Cast-Ales though.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

Don't do that he's trying to trick you. You should avoid such tricks by using western union. In fact I just happen to be in need of some help getting some money out of the country, from my rich uncle who died, which I would of course split with you!

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
    Nice try but I wasn't born yesterday.

That's good--babies are not allowed to write valid checks.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular

Children on the other hand...
    Blank_Check_film_poster.jpg

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »

As for dogs, that's still up in the air.

steam_sig.png
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    When I was in college I had one of my dad's VISA cards for emergencies and it wasn't signed. I had it for two years before anyone bothered to look on the back of it and point out it wasn't signed. I signed it at the till and the cashier was happy with that. I don't think anyone has checked the signature on my own credit cards.

Also, for anyone that has the option to get a chip on their cards but just hasn't because it hasn't come up for renewal yet go request one from your bank ASAP. A card without a chip is much easier to scam than a chipped card and you don't want to be fighting with your bank or worrying if $500 gets taken out of your account.

This shouldn't really be anything the user has to deal with. They just changed the law about who is responsible for fraudulent transactions. If the merchant has a chip reader but the card does not the merchant gets to tell the credit card company they pay for any fraud on chip enabled cards. Once that happened, suddenly the big card issuers were all about issuing cards with chips in them.

Of course, if the card has a chip and the reader doesn't have a chip reader then fraud now lands on the merchant. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was the CC companies pushing for the change in law.

How does that work for debit cards? I had an old non-chipped card lifted and the thieves took out $500 at a cash machine. I reported it at the bank and eventually got my money back but from the sounds of it from the teller it wasn't a guaranteed thing.

steam_sig.png
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I have chip readers set up here, and I love them. I don't know anyone who still slides and signs.

I have been told by several other business owners to completely block the tap payment feature though, because there's no genuine authorization(Signature or pin) with the tap. It's apparently happened near here that if the person who made the tap purchase contests that the charge is legitimate, credit card processors will side with them no matter what evidence you may present them. A store was out like 600$ for that.

Its not...

I mean it's not cu
    BillyIdle wrote: »

I always preferred Brewster's Millions, personally

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Tap payment is such a standard thing now in Australia, that I can only think they must have established some kind of dispute resolution, because I can't imagine businesses being this cool with it otherwise.

I'm not sure what there could be beyond like, providing footage of security camera footage showing the person using the card at a specific timestamp, maybe?
    Like, tap has absolutely no check on who is actually doing the tapping, so I can understand why credit card processors will side with customers who say it wasn't a legitimate purchase.
    A lot of places will have it enabled I'm finding, up to like 30-50 dollars though. I guess they consider that the threshold where the risk of a contested charge and the convenience of of tap meet?

Oh yeah there's always a limit - I think it's $50 at grocery stores, though I have encountered $100. And yeah they've probably optimised that algorithm.

In the UK, I think the limit for contactless is £20, although it was £10 when it first launched (iirc).

I read recently that if you do too many contactless payments in a certain amount of time, the next time you try it will force you to use the chip and pin.

It was a real culture shock when I used my credit card in the U.S. a few years ago, and all I had to do was swipe. I think you only had to use the chip and pin if it was over a certain limit ?

We've had chip and pin in the UK for a decade, I think, and it's everywhere.

I do love contactless, though.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Contactless is £30 now. Reason being that it comes in very handy in pubs but they realised £20 is about the price for a small glass of red in London so they had to up it.

This is how it happened in the UK, I think.

A lot of smaller shops, and some large chains, were dragging their heels in getting chip and pin readers installed, after the card companies made chipped cards standard.

After a few years, the card companies said from x date, if fraud was committed at your store, the insurers would only cover the loss if you had chip and pin. If you just had the swipe type reader, and someone came in with a stolen card and bought a pile of stuff, the store wasn't covered for the losses if the card owner challenged the card usage.

Full coverage came pretty fast after that.

Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Contactless is £30 now. Reason being that it comes in very handy in pubs but they realised £20 is about the price for a small glass of red in London so they had to up it.

I'm in Liverpool. £30 would get you a double vodka and lemonade, two pints and a bottle of wine.

Not great wine, but still.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I may have just hooked my baby brother up to a gig.make more money in a month than I've made all year. How come I'm Gangsta at hooking up my family but not myself?

Just havs to my tears with a 12% cut and a satisfaction that I can get him to say, Royce was right, Royce is always right because Royce assumes he is wrong first and works damn hard to get right.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I had a chip card relatively early for an American, back in 2014.

Buying things during my trip to Germany would usually go something like this:
    1. Cashier sees me in line, starts searching for a pen before I even get up there.
    2. Cashier sees that I have a chip card, assumes that it works like, you know, everyone else's chip cards and puts the pen away
    3. I put my card in the reader. The register says "signature required" (except in German)
    4. Cashier tries to figure out where they put the pen

When I went to South Korea last year I don't think I used my chip even once, it was all still magstripe.

ASimPerson on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    how did they pick you out as american in the queue

were you wearing sneakers and a baseball cap

I was literally wondering this the whole time I was there.

Okay, mom says he did get the contract.

Two revenue streams motherfuckers! I am the alpha male, creator of opportunity!

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »

I saw a group of three in the park today and when I was walking towards them I thought, "those guys sure look and move like Americans"

And as I walked past them, they were indeed talking to each other with American accents

True story

I have been to a few places with the chip and I don't really get the difference between it and a magslide

I saw a group of three in the park today and when I was walking towards them I thought, "those guys sure look and move like Americans"

And as I walked past them, they were indeed talking to each other with American accents

True story

I know Americans are taller than average, but I didn't feel especially tall when I was in Europe. I'm also (for all intents and purpose) ethnically German and on at least one occasion did a double-take because I saw a guy who looked like my dad. There's just... something I guess, though. I also would generally get asked stuff in English before I even said anything.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

I don't really neither

And my job involves the payment on money in various ways on a daily basis

Cheques are bloody pointless, really

True story

I know Americans are taller than average, but I didn't feel especially tall when I was in Europe. I'm also (for all intents and purpose) ethnically German and on at least one occasion did a double-take because I saw a guy who looked like my dad. There's just... something I guess, though. I also would generally get asked stuff in English before I even said anything.

It's weird, I had a fellow student tell me that people in America would instantly recognize him as German, he blamed it on his haircut

Apparently one time he was walking around alone in Arlington National Cemetery and someone suddenly yelled "Kraut" at him

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

True story

I don't think it's height, if they were going off height they'd probably assume you were dutch. I do think Americans have a culturally identifiable way of moving and holding themselves, though. And nobody in Europe picks me for foreign until i open my mouth.

With these guys, I think it was definitely the way they moved

Apparently I can spot an American by his gait from fifty meters away

Standing loudly.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I have been to a few places with the chip and I don't really get the difference between it and a magslide

One is stealable from a decent distance, the other requires you to have it on hand to steal the information on it.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

the difference is pretty simple

A magnetic strip is only able to hold a tiny amount of data. Specifically the data it holds is the number on the front of your card. All the strip is doing is instantly inputting that number into the reader instead of the store clerk manually inputting it through the touchpad.

The chip, on the other hand, holds an encrypted code. It is not the number on the front, it's a much much larger number, and that number is a) verified by other data on the chip, and b) never actually communicated to the store computer. A chip can't be cloned as simply as a magnetic strip, in fact I don't think they can be cloned at all. If you need a new one, the encoding on the old one is canceled and stops functioning.

Put simply, the mag strip is like a secret code and a chip is like a fingerprint scanner.
    Someone can over hear you speaking a secret code and then use the code themselves, but they can't use your fingerprint unless they have your finger.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I've been hearing rumblings about how many stores do have the chip machines but they can't actually get them functioning until they're certified, which the credit companies have been dragging their feet on because it'll put the onus of responsibility on them when fraud occurs instead of the stores.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular

Ein Deutscher immer kennt ein Amerikaner

(I'm sure that's not grammatically correct, I've forgotten most of my German)

Standing loudly.

America is like a jrpg, dance battles popping up everywhere. Hence why we're so fit and light on our feet.

This discussion has been closed.