As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Enter the Gungeon: That's when I reach for my revolver

• MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    MadPen wrote: »
    Reddaye wrote: »
    Seeing on reddit that you can now crack secret walls with your side arm. Haven't been able to test it yet today.

I hate to say it. But that seems really silly. Just make them visable at that point and require the same blank to blow them.

There's a comment earlier in this thread about how a blank is generally more valuable than whatever is in the secret room, which I'd be inclined to agree with based on my experience so far, so it seems like a good change to me.

Well they're saying that the sidearm will crack and reveal the location now. You're still having to spend a blank to open it. It just seems dumb to even have to shoot to reveal them if you allow the gun with infinite ammo to do it.

But I guess the effort is now taking the time to do a quick spin with your side arm on rooms before you leave them.

Oh yeah, totally misread that. Thanks.

Given my apparent skill level, I should probably only be talking about how much I suck at this game, anyway. I almost won Teleglitch. I don't think I'm gonna ever almost win this game :)

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    The one secret room I have found so far had one blank in it. Going to continue ignoring secret rooms.

They really need to add some more guns and items a little earlier on. The furthest I've made it was to the 3rd boss, and was having a lot of fun on the third level with some cool guns and items. But after I died I had no desire to restart because the first 15 minutes of a run are too slow and boring after getting to play with some better stuff. That's something Isaac got right, even if you suck and die a lot you can still play with a nice variety of items and upgrades.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Picked this up yesterday and some of the guns may be plain silly but they are good fun and certainly can change the dynamic when fighting enemies.

I can see why people compare this to Binding of Isacc which is not a bad thing in my book.

• TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    The one secret room I have found so far had one blank in it. Going to continue ignoring secret rooms.

They really need to add some more guns and items a little earlier on. The furthest I've made it was to the 3rd boss, and was having a lot of fun on the third level with some cool guns and items. But after I died I had no desire to restart because the first 15 minutes of a run are too slow and boring after getting to play with some better stuff. That's something Isaac got right, even if you suck and die a lot you can still play with a nice variety of items and upgrades.

FWIW this issue does improve over time as you unlock more great hall NPC's, many of which add challenges or sell different items on the first couple floors. in general the game gets a lot faster as you unlock more stuff, because some of the items you unlock/buy with credits are leagues above the stuff that's unlocked by default. one good example is a passive item you get by clearing the two secret floors which replaces your dodge roll with a screen-wide blink effect.

• MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Still loving this game and I'm starting to come around on the Pilot. As long as you get a decent gun on floor 1 his passives are great later in the game.

You KBAM or controller? I'm starting to come around on the Marine, myself. I haven't been past 3, but I don't imagine shooting straight and reloading fast is going to get any less useful as the game progresses. Every bullet hitting is kind of a big deal. With the controller I can't hit anything regardless so it wouldn't matter.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
    Torgairon wrote: »

FWIW this issue does improve over time as you unlock more great hall NPC's, many of which add challenges or sell different items on the first couple floors. in general the game gets a lot faster as you unlock more stuff, because some of the items you unlock/buy with credits are leagues above the stuff that's unlocked by default. one good example is a passive item you get by clearing the two secret floors which replaces your dodge roll with a screen-wide blink effect.

Speaking of, I just rescued a blue bullet guy, but I can't see him anywhere in the great hall. What's his deal?

• ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »

Speaking of, I just rescued a blue bullet guy, but I can't see him anywhere in the great hall. What's his deal?

Some of the people you free become additional shop/quest NPCs that can randomly appear in the Gungeon. They don't show up in the Breach.

• sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Super Space Turtle is officially my favorite passive item in the game

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Seeing on reddit that you can now crack secret walls with your side arm. Haven't been able to test it yet today.

I hate to say it. But that seems really silly. Just make them visable at that point and require the same blank to blow them.

There's a comment earlier in this thread about how a blank is generally more valuable than whatever is in the secret room, which I'd be inclined to agree with based on my experience so far, so it seems like a good change to me.

Well they're saying that the sidearm will crack and reveal the location now. You're still having to spend a blank to open it. It just seems dumb to even have to shoot to reveal them if you allow the gun with infinite ammo to do it.

But I guess the effort is now taking the time to do a quick spin with your side arm on rooms before you leave them.

Yes. Because ocd people like me are now going to spend too much time looking for secret rooms. I don't mind though. Finding secrets in games is probably one of my favorite game related activities.

Steam: offday
    anoffday wrote: »

Yes. Because ocd people like me are now going to spend too much time looking for secret rooms. I don't mind though. Finding secrets in games is probably one of my favorite game related activities.

"Starter guns can no longer be used to reveal secret doors (hit VFX is now the normal wall hit effect)"

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

"Starter guns can no longer be used to reveal secret doors (hit VFX is now the normal wall hit effect)"

I thought they were saying initially the starter gun did not reveal secret doors and now it does? Did I misunderstand? Is it the opposite?

Steam: offday
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

I thought they were saying initially the starter gun did not reveal secret doors and now it does? Did I misunderstand? Is it the opposite?

Incorrect, Starter Guns COULD be used to find secret doors. What happened was that when you shot a secret door with the starting guns there would be a different bullet/impact effect than normal. It wouldn't crack the walls, but instead it would make a visually different impact such as not producing the chips that the hunters old revolver makes when hitting a wall. This meant with some time and effort, you could easily use the starting guns to find the secret rooms if you wanted - but this was not intentional. What they've done is patched the game so the visual effect of the starting guns hitting a secret wall is the same as when it's shooting an ordinary wall.

This makes it impossible to now find the secret rooms with the starting guns.

Edit: THEY NERFED THE TREADNOUGHT. FUCK YES.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    So some notes.
    You can hookshot items in a shop (stealing will raise curse, and all other shops after will be empty) I walked out after doing it on accident.

Secret rooms are pretty randomly placed from what i can tell, with the exception of if there is one south of the shop (if there is a little alcove at the bottom of the shop, try a blank.. so far two times I've found one in this case)
    -I had the masons brick which sits at walls to secret rooms- found two on one floor, one had "not link" in it.

If you roll carefully enough while a grenade does into its explosion charge, you can basically be pushed away by the explosion but take no damage.
    -
    I made it to the forge twice so far, its pretty nasty, heck the hollow just before it is pretty nasty (both the wall and the killpillars are nightmares) on top of all the awful enemies within

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Kill Pillars get a whole lot easier when you do one super easy thing, just stay to the left of the room for the most part. They have one attack that goes that way and everything else is the middle or the right.

edited April 2016
    Rubycat wrote: »
    So some notes.
    You can hookshot items in a shop (stealing will raise curse, and all other shops after will be empty) I walked out after doing it on accident.

That's only because you got caught. To not get caught you need to line up your shot outside of the doorway, hit the item you want and basically do so outside of it. If you're not in the shop when you do the thievery you can still buy (and steal) things later. Similarly with the smoke bomb and box: As long as you use them outside, rush in and grab then get out, you can still get shops later on.

Aegeri on
    course i got caught. i just hit space while thinking about pulling myself to counter for fun and stole an item. he was not pleased with me

steam_sig.png
    Rubycat wrote: »
    course i got caught. i just hit space while thinking about pulling myself to counter for fun and stole an item. he was not pleased with me

But at least you're now well on the way to getting Woodsie! Oddly enough, my thievery hasn't counted for that achievement yet, which is rather bothersome. I hope it's not bugged.

In other news, I discovered today that enemies bullets impacting on a wall can seemingly reveal secrets. Unless walls start pre-cracked, the guys with the huge ammo swords (that make the long V pattern) are perfect for baiting into finding the secret rooms for you.

• ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    Has anyone had something like the mail gun + the skill that reloads with dodge? Can you use that to fire all boxes?

• sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Made it to The Forge by the skin of my teeth. Got a few rooms in when all my guns ran dry and I dove into the fiery abyss instead of letting a Revolvenant have the pleasure of murdering me.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

Found @Aegeri 's advice about the Bullet Nuts (i think they're called) 100% accurate today, and quite happily so. Let me pick up the last key i needed for Elevator Man. Found the Pilot to be pretty good for racking up casings, the lockpick breaking a chest lock gives a good opportunity to bust it open with your gun. The Junk you're likely to get can be dumped down the shop grate (if you're lucky to get one) for a pretty nice chunk of change.

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think I figured out how to unlock shorcuts?
    I found the guy but I think you need to get one of the trophies for no hitting a boss probably before you can unlock it.

Uriel wrote: »
    I found the guy but I think you need to get one of the trophies for no hitting a boss probably before you can unlock it.

You are correct, plus he asks for a ridiculous amount of shit as well.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I got two pretty big achievements today.

A blessing mode run which apparently 0.18 people have done and unlocks a neat looking gun.

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOjpGsx1Os8"

And shortly after a Lead God run!

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3DSIGfidiA"

the blessing/gun game run isn't that bad so it's surprising that it's such a rare complete, my one try at it ended halfway through the fifth floor boss when i had to try and kill his adds with a peashooter-esque gun. lead god is awesome though, still haven't perfected that fifth floor boss ever.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    You need to work on your Touhouing, Skut!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i would be better at this game if i could hit things with guns.
    dodging well only gets you so far before you get backed into difficult corners.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

Aren't the shortcuts in this game kinda like Spelunky, where you're only hurting yourself by using them because you need the money and items from previous levels to survive the later levels?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    So I'm supposed to be playing this game with the wiki open, right? Because I really hate stumbling across weapons and items and not knowing that they do.

steam_sig.png

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    So I'm supposed to be playing this game with the wiki open, right? Because I really hate stumbling across weapons and items and not knowing that they do.

Open your Ammonomicon in the pause menu!

It shows you everything you have and tells you what they do.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    No gun is so valuable that you can't try out a new toy on the next room of guys.

camo_sig2.png
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »

Not particularly accurately though.

I ate an engineer
    milski wrote: »
    Dys wrote: »

Not particularly accurately though.

A fair description of many of the guns in this game.

I mean, besides being reluctant to use a gun with limited ammo, sometimes I go into a room and almost die because I didn't foresee how the gun worked. Like maybe it's a charge gun and does nothing when I frantically mash RB, or it's the Helix gun that shoots like the gun from Fester's Quest and thus completely misses the enemy, or it's an active item that I just don't want to try out and waste it before I actually need it.

I do use the Ammonomicon when I can, but it's only so helpful. And sometimes I forget what things are: if you already have used a weapon before, they should tell you in the store what it is you're about to buy.

steam_sig.png

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Also, I made it to the third chamber and unlocked the Hegemony credit shop yesterday. The Devastator (I think that's the name anyhow) is maybe the best boss weapon I've found so far.

camo_sig2.png
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Damn do I love the sniper rifle and the AWP (more better sniper rifle) for room clearing.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

Aren't the shortcuts in this game kinda like Spelunky, where you're only hurting yourself by using them because you need the money and items from previous levels to survive the later levels?
    Not quite. when you use the shortcut, you're given a choice of guns. The further along you shortcut to, the more guns you're allowed to take.

So you don't have extra money or active items or anything, but it's a LOT better than say, spelunky's shortcut.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    This is one of those games where I feel like I need a controller that somehow gives me mouse aim accuracy & analog stick twitch movement.

Also it is amazing.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    I've had the worst run of RNG ever lately. 10 runs and I've had keys drop only 3 times the entire time. Today was especially heart breaking, because I got only shit tier guns outside of the .95 (which is a fabulous boss killer btw) and only 1 key (plus 2 from shops) the entire way. Naturally everything I encountered on level 4, the shopkeep, special room (Not-link I assume) and others were all fucking locked with keys. Ended up having to take on the Floor 4 boss with 1 heart.

It's a shame because even with those conditions I perfected the bosses of level 1, 2 and 3. If I just had some decent guns I could have used for room clearing :(

Normally if the special room locked isnt not-link its the vampire lady most times.. want that curse? love them red enemies and their massive hp pools?

steam_sig.png
    vampire lady would be terrible if she didn't have a great item pool. huntsman, stuffed star and elder blank are all 10/10, heart locket is always cool too.