As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror mirror on the wall... Who's got the biggest quads of them all [Weightlifting]

KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondlerHelping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
Do you like picking things up? Do you like putting them back down again? And doing it all again? Do you like impossibly muscled men?

This is the strength training thread. We have forumers doing all sorts of different strength related sports including:

Olympic weightlifting

https://youtu.be/ALRviFplPD4

Powerlifting

https://youtu.be/cRcfJpjgYdE

Strongman

https://youtu.be/69m9QvTogMg

Body Building

https://youtu.be/mDaQXGWLP1Q

There's a ton of resources out there on strength training, some of the better ones are:

Starting strength: (best beginner workout)
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

EliteFTS (a lot of good form and powerlifting specific information):
http://articles.elitefts.net/

If anyone has other resources, let me know and I'll add them in.

And another site recommendation from @;Jimmy Marku:

http://simplesciencefitness.com/

And a good guide to foam rolling from @Jyardana

http://www.robertsontrainingsystems.com/downloads/SMR-manual.pdf

And another site with some decent powerlifting program calculators

http://www.joeskopec.com/programs.html

And DeFranco's Agile 8 (a good flexibility/mobility routine).

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html

A solid review of most of the various powerlifting programs floating around out there:

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/powerlifting-programs/

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Huh what's the difference between those thingies

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Oh thank God the thread is back. I panicked.

Also I am a big fan of Izzy Navarez (powerliftingtowin.com). The guy started with SS, made all the mistakes people make, learned the value of nutrition/training environment/training volume, and just started cranking out high-quality content. Not the most experienced guy in the game but all of his opinions are well-founded. He's training consistently again and keeping a training log here:

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/competitive-lifter-training-logs/47674-powerlifting-win.html

Methuselah on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Thank goodness, I saw the other was locked.

I'm off for the next two days and I've got some pretty good DOMS going on, but I can get some solid training in at least.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I've been trying to work on shoulder/upper body form during OHP (dumbbell) and uh, yeah boy does that make a difference.

God damn do I slouch. What I thought was "shoulders back" was assuredly not.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I move that the OP contain our current unofficial official contests, @methuselah and I are racing to a 315/140kg bench, @Dead Legend and @rockrnger are racing down to 220 (or something like that).

• Options
    I'll be lucky to see 240 by June.

Weighed 250 this morning. Not like I've been strict on the diet, and I slacked off on the cardio the last three weeks to double down on the strength (re)gains

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    5x10 bench at 315.

Trying one of these new hotness high volume deals.

• Options
    My 70% military is stupid light but I guess the extra volume will make up for it. Maybe it will leave me with extra room to make pull-up gains?

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    In keeping with the thread title.

4" to go.
    uwvsyp3m74m6.jpg

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    rockrnger wrote: »
    5x10 bench at 315.

That's insane. Do you time rests or anything?

• Options
    Wife snapped a pic of me yesterday after I lifted while I was getting the grill lit to send to her family and I have to say, my legs looked good in my short shorts.

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    It seems my quads and glutes are okay in the squat, but my lower back is working very hard to stay tight. It feels like it is going to be the first thing to give out, if I were to push that far.

At least it's not rounding at the bottom of the squat, so that's an improvement.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Aw goddamnit

I can feel the hint of a sickness this morning

And I didn't sleep well the first few nights this week, so I am not surprised

Damnittttt

Sleep, why so important yet so difficult (for me)

poo
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Had a training partner for the first time in months today.

Hit two PR's - 188kg deadlift (3kg pr) 120kg front squat (10kg pr)

Was my sixth consecutive training day in a row, so I'll be taking tomorrow off and then do bench press on Saturday.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Hm my weight is down a lot
    I've been eating less because I've been working out less from injury

I gotta make sure to keep my protein up

Cottage cheese and protein powder and cinnamon is a fantastic snack

poo
  • Options
    I have made a solid commitment to half ass my leg workouts from this point on

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    rockrnger wrote: »
    5x10 bench at 315.

That's insane. Do you time rests or anything?

I do three minutes on a speedbag between sets just try and compress my workouts but that is mostly for skill.

One day by God I will have a Joe Frazier left hook.

• Options
    fucking what

You do cardio in between sets and still bench 315lbs for 5 x 10? You're a monster sir.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I suspect rockrnger has pecs like Big E Langston...

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    fucking what

You do cardio in between sets and still bench 315lbs for 5 x 10? You're a monster sir.

I'm trying to do better with the whole complement things soooo.

Thanks.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I move that the OP contain our current unofficial official contests, @methuselah and I are racing to a 315/140kg bench, @Dead Legend and @rockrnger are racing down to 220 (or something like that).

About that, @Peen

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that you get a head start, because after this meet I am going to take four-six weeks and finish this cut up right. Pending my DEXA scan next week (I'll post the data here), I'll probably go 163 -> 155. Gross.

The bad news is that I am going to ruin you.

• Options
    R-KR-K Registered User regular
    I decided to start going to the gym for the first time in my life. I had looked at a bunch of different workouts and routines before I noticed the previous weightlifting thread. Thanks for the simple fitness site recommendation it was really helpful. Looking through that site I found the 5x5 workout which seemed really appealing to me since I didn't have to learn a large number of different exercises and the schedule is pretty flexible. Are there any words of wisdom regarding it? Any problems? What kind of warmup or stretching do I need to do, since I haven't found too much on stuff you do before you actually start to do the workout?

3DS: 2036-7005-8111 Shiny:2737
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna try and use the race to 220 as inspiration. I was down there a couple of years back but I stopped working out. stayed lighter for a while while losing strength but eventually I gained enough weight that it didn't matter. got up to 250

been working out pretty consistently for a while now but I've only gotten down to 240 at my recent best and was closer to 250 last I weighed myself. it's all diet, I can still eat like my old old self (I was 390 at my most about 5 years ago but was always heavy before that so, habits) and when I look back at it the next day it's like, were you trying to waste your last workout? it's like I eat with a mission.

anyway, competition is something to think of next time I want to stuff my face

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Methuselah wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »

About that, Peen

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that you get a head start, because after this meet I am going to take four-six weeks and finish this cut up right. Pending my DEXA scan next week (I'll post the data here), I'll probably go 163 -> 155. Gross.

The bad news is that I am going to ruin you.

You are going to try. And fail.

There's no way you're going to weight 50 lbs less than me and beat me to 315.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Oh, would you look at that. I have shit organized and out of the way.

Edit: To return as a smaller image

mud0v1l5lv7e.jpeg

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    cough image size cough

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Oh, would you look at that. I have shit organized and out of the way.

Edit: To return as a smaller image

mud0v1l5lv7e

Head harness!

rockrnger on
  • Options
    It's everything a growing boy needs!

I just wish it was as cool as the elitefts one with chinstrap

That would be legitimate.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    R-K wrote: »
    I decided to start going to the gym for the first time in my life. I had looked at a bunch of different workouts and routines before I noticed the previous weightlifting thread. Thanks for the simple fitness site recommendation it was really helpful. Looking through that site I found the 5x5 workout which seemed really appealing to me since I didn't have to learn a large number of different exercises and the schedule is pretty flexible. Are there any words of wisdom regarding it? Any problems? What kind of warmup or stretching do I need to do, since I haven't found too much on stuff you do before you actually start to do the workout?

So I'm not a pro by any means, and most of what I do is weird strongman stuff, but I didn't want to like, leave you hanging.

Most barbell warmups I see are a few light sets at a much lower weight, I think like 50% for a set, 75%, etc, until your work sets. Stretching I have a hard time answering as I know, for instance, Olympic lifts require completely different movement patterns than I do, including one that will make my arms fall off. I can say confidently that investing in a lacrosse ball, about 5 bucks tops on Amazon, to jam into the sore parts of you you can't reach, is going to rock your world.

Also, you will be hungry. Eat. I spent 6 months wondering wtf was wrong with me (it was a few things) but the big one was I was probably underfeeding myself by like 500+ calories/day. Avoiding the cookies is probably "best", and I try to myself, but if you find yourself one day after a hard week of workouts with your face buried in a pint of Ben & Jerry's, making happy little muffled noises, just roll with it. It happens sometimes.

PS you're going to like this. NOTHING like going "nah I got it" and walking off with that thing your friends were straining at.

• Options
    Got the Beta-alanine tingles for the first time last night.

Pretty cool.

Didn't even want to quit and go to bed but I figured it would be counter productive to workout instead of sleep.

• Options
    R-K wrote: »

For warmups just use a lighter weight to get your joints ready.

As far as that workout, you don't need to know anything special. The key thing to remember is that you should be trying to constantly progress week on week. Don't think "Hmm well I got my reps but it felt kind of heavy so I'll do the same weight again to get used to it." More reps, sets or density every week.

• Options
    Let me ask you about carry over from elbow sleeves.

I have some pretty thick (triply ply) elbow sleeves that I use to prevent elbow pain. The main culprits are presses and tricep extensions. My worry is that I'm getting too much carry over from using them. I don't mind getting a bit of extra weight out of the lift (I don't plan on competing, so that isn't an issue) but does that carry over short change my muscular development in any way?

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    No. The only thing I'd watch is setting up movement patterns that lead to soreness in other areas. I.e , the sleeves are so tight that you flare your elbows out so much it starts affecting your shoulder.

And if you get them tight enough you can say you're doing blood occlusion training.

• Options
    Also speaking of elbows, I got some elbow cuffs from APT and they are great. I really prefer a cuff to a sleeve, I've tried a few different brands, and the APT ones are on par with the Sling Shot 2.0 cuffs while being cheaper. It isn't clear on the website but that price is for two. I got the Convict material sized two inches down from my forearm and that's pretty much perfect.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    http://imgur.com/otfyvvN
    Weight chart indicates: some days you poop better than others. Also a slow but consistent upward trend, woo!

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    day 3 of PT!
    things getting better!

dunno how long before deadlifting again, probably a while still

apparently my core is weak like a babby, thus overextension of back

must get stronk core

poo
  • Options
    No. The only thing I'd watch is setting up movement patterns that lead to soreness in other areas. I.e , the sleeves are so tight that you flare your elbows out so much it starts affecting your shoulder.

And if you get them tight enough you can say you're doing blood occlusion training.

XXLs are already uncomfortably tight. Perhaps my arms are XXXL. Perhaps that is undeniable.

• Options
    Tube, we gonna need some pics of these cannons you're sporting

• Options
    Tube, we gonna need some pics of these cannons you're sporting

They're not readyyyyyyyyyy

My arms are actually a big weak point. Triceps grow ok but my biceps aren't responsive. I'm hoping to get some growth during this cycle just because I'm biting the bullet and making sure I work arms 3 days a week alternating heavy and pump.

This discussion has been closed.