As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror mirror on the wall... Who's got the biggest quads of them all [Weightlifting]

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    It's incredibly difficult to measure your arms by yourself, but mine are roughly 17 1/4"

Also, your elbow sleeves comment has decided that I'm gonna do many curl variations today

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Tube, we gonna need some pics of these cannons you're sporting

They're not readyyyyyyyyyy

My arms are actually a big weak point. Triceps grow ok but my biceps aren't responsive. I'm hoping to get some growth during this cycle just because I'm biting the bullet and making sure I work arms 3 days a week alternating heavy and pump.

Supersets are just about the only thing my biceps responds to.

DB curls supersetted with hammer curls or BB curls with isolation curls. As you might imagine it's pretty awful to do biceps.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    R-KR-K Registered User regular
    dporowski and Tube thanks for your advice. It's a whole new world.

3DS: 2036-7005-8111 Shiny:2737
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    It's incredibly difficult to measure your arms by yourself, but mine are roughly 17 1/4"

Also, your elbow sleeves comment has decided that I'm gonna do many curl variations today

http://www.amazon.com/AccuFitness-MT05-MyoTape-Body-Measure/dp/B000G7YW7Y would look like it ought to do it for you.

dporowski on
  • Options
    Link ain't working dpow

Ordinarily my wonderful wife would assist but she was at work and I had the day off.

I just had a doozy of a workout too. Left thumb is cramping. Did light presses, then supersetted Swiss bar rows (angle grip) with tricep press down, then glute-ham sit-ups supersetted with Swiss bar curls(fat neutral) and finished off with some light dumbbell curls

It's a very pleasant 81 with a light breeze

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Link ain't working dpow

Ordinarily my wonderful wife would assist but she was at work and I had the day off.

I just had a doozy of a workout too. Left thumb is cramping. Did light presses, then supersetted Swiss bar rows (angle grip) with tricep press down, then glute-ham sit-ups supersetted with Swiss bar curls(fat neutral) and finished off with some light dumbbell curls

It's a very pleasant 81 with a light breeze

Fixed it.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    So my last bench weight (for volume) I was stuck at for about four weeks of gradually getting more reps. Today I hit a new weight for the first time and absolutely crushed it. Only the last few reps were challenging. No idea what happened. Maybe creatine and bcaas are magic.

• Options
    You ever have that thing where you do your first set and angrily check the weight because you're certain you loaded it too low? It was one of those.

Admittedly I was pretty burned out for the rest of my accessory work.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Belted up for my heaviest row set, first lift I'd done today, pulled the first rep, and my left si joint immediately informed me that I was done doing any lifting today. I was going to lift twice today and instead I lifted hardly at all. This blows.

• Options
    Fuck dude, that sucks. What kind of reps do you do for heavy rows? I do high reps because they drop off so fast.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    My left SI joint is my more f'd up one too

I'm gonna come back from dis injury better tho

Been doing gym and then just anytime I got to an exercise I shouldn't do I did PT drills / have been doing modified exercises

Foam roll forever

poo
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Hit a 295 lb. heavy single Deadlift, but had to stop there.

Ugh, so close I can smell it. Maybe in a month or so I'll make it back and try for over 300.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Fuck dude, that sucks. What kind of reps do you do for heavy rows? I do high reps because they drop off so fast.

Mostly six or more, I was going to hit a triple with 230 after 6 with 210 so I didn't think it was an outlandish jump. It's just one of those things, it's already feeling better and I should be able to hit upper body tomorrow no sweat. Never thought I'd say this but I'm more worried about running, tomorrow starts week 5 and the running times are up to 8 minute stretches or more.

• Options
    You're rowing way more than me. I do 80kgs for 8 sets of 10. Maybe I'm going too light, but in paranoid about bad form

• Options
    I'm thinking I just got too sloppy somehow with the trap bar. I'll probably switch back to dumbbell rows when I want to go heavy, they're the least precarious from a form standpoint.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    I'm thinking I just got too sloppy somehow with the trap bar. I'll probably switch back to dumbbell rows when I want to go heavy, they're the least precarious from a form standpoint.

Absolutely. The only reason I'm taking a break from them at the moment is that they take twice as long

• Options
    Doing rows with the trap bar seems like a pain in the ass?

• Options
    Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. You can load it like a barbell row but your ROM is way bigger, you can't hit your belly or belt. I'm short so my hands end up on the wide side so it hits everything down the middle (lower traps, rhomboids) and if you pull your elbows back it hits your lats like a proper dumbbell or underhanded barbell row would or you can go straight up and hit your upper back.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Wrex actually has the biggest quads of them all.

• Options
    Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. You can load it like a barbell row but your ROM is way bigger, you can't hit your belly or belt. I'm short so my hands end up on the wide side so it hits everything down the middle (lower traps, rhomboids) and if you pull your elbows back it hits your lats like a proper dumbbell or underhanded barbell row would or you can go straight up and hit your upper back.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'd manage without banging my knees

• Options
    I did rows with the mulitgrip bar that was nice tho

poo
  • Options

I'm still trying to figure out how I'd manage without banging my knees

I mean this is me, knees not an issue?

https://youtu.be/cfAQS5XnAWE

• Options
    I have officially reached the level of massivity where buying suits is a pain in the arse

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Hoo boy, hit squats at 220lbs for 5x5 this morning. Absolutely destroyed me haha. I was catching myself resting afterwards between warm up sets for my bench.

I've got some nagging pain in my hips and shoulders. Wondering if I should have a deload week, record my lifts, and fetch some critiques on my form. Just a little weary about chasing 225 on squats come Tuesday.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    Hey peen, I think I found your problem, your back ain't tight on those. But good explosiveness!

• Options
    You back isn't tight!

But yeah, that was a last set that I taped to see how it looked because it felt pretty squirrelly. I pulled the si joint when my kid was in the room with me and I was trying to make sure she stayed far enough away and I just wasn't focused. Lesson learned!

• Options
    Sounds like your kid needs to get involved with barbell rodeo so you can add extra difficulty to the lift

• Options
    My reps today were dirty you guys. Not like a little bit dirty. Like, put the kids to sleep and give your wife a Xanax and than call these reps because you can't get them out of your head dirty. These reps put a finger up my ass, called me the n word and said they were going to fuck my dad.

They were dirty reps is what I'm saying here.

• Options
    But I thought you liked that, Tubesteak?

• Options
    Show me where I said I didn't like it.

• Options
    Just making sure, hombre

• Options
    Part of me was definitely thinking that a couple of them were close to not counting. For some reason my first reps were always dog hard, and I had a little trouble keeping my ass on the bench. It's tough to find a balance between "This weight is too heavy to lift" and "I never put the weight up because I demand perfect form".

• Options
    If you get it up, it counts. Then you figure out how to do it without it looking like ass.

That's the way I see it.

• Options
    That makes me feel better about it. I try and bear in mind that there was a time that I was doing reps with 95kg that looked like this and now my 95 reps are the kind of reps you settle down and start a family with.

• Options
    One way you could work around that is cut your sets short to when the form starts to go to hell and then make up for the volume with more sets

But that way you're getting quality reps in at a load that's challenging

• Options
    PT still going well and back is healing

Made me do kettle bell baby weight deadlifts

Real deadlifts again someday

I realize, as a result of PT, that generally in my day to day life I don't keep my core engaged often enough and have terrible posture

poo
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If I fail during a set, do I try to pretend to finish the set?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I understand that question

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    If I fail during a set, do I try to pretend to finish the set?

What do you mean?

Regardless, it's going to depend on your specific programming, goals, and reason for failing.

Some options:
    1. Retry the set, going for the original rep goal. This often applies if you screwed up a cue, and it's valuable to learn that you can hit a set after failing it.
    2. Lower the weight and go for the same rep goal. This often applies if the strength wasn't there, but you want to reinforce proper form and get some volume in.
    3. Do subsequent sets at the same weight for fewer reps. Good for accumulating volume.
    4. Just call it. This especially applies if you hurt yourself a bit in failing.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    This mainly applies to lifts where gravity pulls the weight away from me. Like if I can't do pull up 3/5, do I try to do the remaining 2 and then stop, or do I immediately stop and reassess?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
This discussion has been closed.