As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2016 - Restaurant/Food Thread

imnotalawyerimnotalawyer Registered User regular
edited April 2016 in PAX East
Hey folks!

Food is one of my favorite parts of traveling - so I am understandably excited to get into Boston next week. I did not see a topic for everyone's favorite places to eat so I thought I would make a new one in case something new opened up.

Links to previous years' threads...
PAX East 2015 Restaurant Thread
PAX East 2014 Restaurant Thread

As for my recommendations...

Al's Cafe (website)
This is an authentic deli. They offer enormous subs (I think 14") for under $10. They stack these things too. In the past I have always found that these easily stretch into two meals, which is great if you're trying to have some sort of budget. A mile away from BCEC.

Boloco (website)
This is Boston's take on Chipotle, only better... and with less pestilence... they offer some really creative burritos. It is cheap and only 3/4 a mile away from BCEC.

Bon Me (website)
I love vietnamese food, and these guys kill it! Even better, they are only a half a mile away from BCEC.

faPgNTD
imnotalawyer on

• PugglesPuggles Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I always try to hit up Shabu Zen for some hot pot. It's pretty cheap and not too far of a walk. Food is always delicious and it's nice to do something different.

Also, Salvatore's is right down the street and they have really great pizza by the slice for take out. I believe they have a restaurant/bar attached but I've never dined in. Pizza is great though!

Puggles on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    Alright, I have to ask this. Where is the best lobster roll, and hot vs cold?

its a secret to everyone
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2016
    Neptune Oyster has the best I have found. It's not the easiest place at which to get a seat, nor is it cheap, but it's spectacular. I was turned on to it by some locals who work in the financial district. I prefer a hot lobster roll.

zerzhul on
  • revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    I'll second Salvatore's and can vouch for the bar/dining room being equally good as the pizza. It will get VERY busy around dinner time on Friday and Saturday nights given the PAX traffic, though. I can say the exact same for Legal Test Kitchen, which is right next door to Salvatore's; food is excellent, but the wait will be rough if you don't go particularly early or late.

Other local standouts include:
    No Name Restaurant - A little hole-in-the-wall seafood place on the wharf. The food is excellent and cheap for generally humongous portions. Go for a beer and the fish and chips, not the ambiance or service.

Sushi-Teq - A very trendy, intimate sushi/tequila bar inside the Intercontinental Hotel about a mile from the BCEC. Some of the best sushi I've had in Boston, but you'll need a reservation because there's not a lot of space.

Whiskey Priest - An Irish pub not far from the BCEC. Good food, good beer and whiskey selection, local music on the weekends. Will get busy, but probably not quite as much so as the places in the immediate vicinity of the BCEC.

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    Trade Boston (website)

Great food and a PAX friendly atmosphere. They even had a "Welcome PAX Attendees" message on their age last year. It's a bit pricey, but the food and service are top notch. This was the food highlight of our trip. They have a limited menu focusing on unique and well composed dishes ranging from seafood, to steak, to vegetarian dishes. They can take reservations online and I was recommended to make them as it may get busy during the weekend.

P0P7S6y.png
  • davethebabedavethebabe Registered User regular
    The food trucks last year were unbelievably good! Does anyone know if they will be back this year? I'm totally hitting them up for every possible meal at pax.
    I would also highly recommend Lulus or Friendlytoast if you have a car and the time for amazing breakfast.

• OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    As a local, I ALWAYS have 2 cents to chip in when it comes to grub. To make note, I tend to eat out for a big meal before and after the con, so that influences my suggestions. During PAX, I make a point not to leave the convention center, even if it means eating rather overpriced if generally palatable BCEC food.

The Daily Catch is a local place down by the courthouse in Seaport (probably like 8-10 minutes from pax walking). They specialize in Sicilian style seafood, and their squid-ink pasta is to die for. I will gladly quibble with other locals as to whether or not this is the best seafood in Seaport. Spacious and takes reservations, but far enough from PAX that you can almost certainly just walk in. I pretty much go here with my friends for pre-PAX dinner every year.

Yankee Lobster Company is also about a 10 minute walk from PAX. It's a little hole in the wall sort of place with killer lobster rolls, fried seafood, and chowder/bisque. It's reasonably priced, and definitely more of a lunch-y sort of place than a dinner sort of place. Only real downside is seating is seriously limited.

It comes up a lot but Legal Test Kitchen is worth noting. Basically Legal Seafood's weird cousin. A fun and kind of eclectic mix of seafood dishes and a fun mixed drink menu. Right by the Hotels so it catches a lot of the PAX crowd.

If you feel like heading into the city then there are honestly more options than I can care to list, but I feel like I must mention that China Town is only about 20ish minutes away walking, and is full of places that are both very delicious and very affordable. I can and will eat xiaolongbao until I feel physically ill.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • SovereignvsSovereignvs Registered User regular
    There is an absolutely excellent dining guide/spreadsheet made by @WeFightTheBlues over at the PAX reddit site.

It lists cuisine, address, price, distance to BCEC and more. AMAZING!

You can access it here: PAX EAST FOOD/DINING

• crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Neptune Oyster has the best I have found. It's not the easiest place at which to get a seat, nor is it cheap, but it's spectacular. I was turned on to it by some locals who work in the financial district. I prefer a hot lobster roll.

All the reviews say good things but I'm scared of Neptune's no reservation policy so i went with Row 34. Anyone ever eaten there? I'm hoping for good oysters and a lobster roll.

its a secret to everyone
  • coflroptercoflropter Registered User regular
    I would just like to add some places that are great to go if you don't eat meat/dairy. Boston isn't the most Veg friendly town, but it does have some great places. That being said, there aren't really many places near the BCEC.
    • Chipotle - This is probably the closest. It's a little bit less than a mile walk. It's also by south station, so you can just take the silver line back there. 101 Summer St, Boston, MA 02210
    • My Thai Vegan Cafe - This place is hard to find info on, and google says it's closed, but it's said that for the last year, and I just went there last week. Great thai food, though they do rely heavily on meat substitutes. - 3 Beach St #2, Boston, MA 02111
    • Veggie Galaxy - I LOVE THIS PLACE. It's basically a vegetarian/vegan diner. They serve classic bacon and eggs type food all day, and have great diner type dinner stuff too. Everything on the menu can be made vegan. Try the Cheesey Fries with the house cheese. This place is in Cambridge, but it's just two steps off the Central Square T stop. - 450 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139
    • Walnut Grille - This place is in Newton, so it's about 40 minutes out on the D branch of green line. Right off the Newton Highlands T stop. This is more contemporary veg fare, and is very good. Most things can be made vegan. - 1203 Walnut St, Newton Highlands, MA 02461

BONUS
    • Oakleaf Cakes Bakeshop - Bakery that has a selection of vegan cupcakes, and cookies every day. I think they also have coffee and lattes and the like. - 12 Westland Ave, Boston, MA 02115

VEIYCZd.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

All the reviews say good things but I'm scared of Neptune's no reservation policy so i went with Row 34. Anyone ever eaten there? I'm hoping for good oysters and a lobster roll.
    I lucked out in that both times I went there, I managed to *just* get a seat, but I know it can be a very long wait. They do take cell numbers and call though, give you like 10m to get there to get your seat iirc.

• MagneticImageMagneticImage Registered User regular
    This is particular to people staying at the Holiday Inn in Brookline:
    Some of the very best restaurants in Massachusetts are a 20 minute walk down Beacon Street (5 minute T ride) in Washington Square. I highly recommend Barcelona or Fairsted Kitchen.

• OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    This is particular to people staying at the Holiday Inn in Brookline:
    Some of the very best restaurants in Massachusetts are a 20 minute walk down Beacon Street (5 minute T ride) in Washington Square. I highly recommend Barcelona or Fairsted Kitchen.

I actually used to live over there. Barcelona and Fairstead are both amazing restaurants, but as a heads up, especially for Barcelona Wine Bar on a weekend, unless outdoor seating is available, there is a very low chance of getting in without a reservation.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • abdoooooabdooooo Registered User regular
    I see Whiskey Priest being mentioned as a good Irish Pub. I'll check it out. Are there any others that are worth my time?

• SatoruSatoru Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    James Hook and Co - Lobster sandwich - harborfront

If the weather is nice walk over to James Hook and Co. Its a bit of a hike but its the best damn lobster sandwich you can get. Yes its expensive but honestly you're going to be paying that much for some shredded puree lobster garbage anywhere else. At least this thing has chunks of lobster tail in it.

Windsor Cafe - dimsum - Chinatown

Its a small joint but has pretty good and authentic dimsum

Menton - french

Do you have more money than god? Have a company credit card burning a hole in your wallet. Then make a reservation here and burn 3 hours on dinner :pop:

Tavern Road - American

Assuming you are not Donald Trumps illegitimate grand child, go across the street to Tavern Road instead.

Satoru on
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Satoru wrote: »
    Tavern Road - American
    Assuming you are not Donald Trumps illegitimate grand child, go across the street to Tavern Road instead.

Yeah, Tavern Road is supposed to be really good. I checked with them to see if they were having any specials during PAX, there are none yet specifically planned for that weekend but they do offer weeknights between 5:00 and 7:00 a OPP (oysters, pigs and ponies) promotion: $1 oyster, $2 pony beers and $3 charcuterie.

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Hey, there is a food truck festival on Saturday in the Greenway http://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/visit/food/spring-food-festival/

• monkoshmonkosh NYCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    For people staying south of common (The Revere, Plaza, Doubletree), grab breakfast from Mike & Patty's. They have some of best sandwiches i have tasted. They open at 730 during pax. You should call to make your order. They do delivery but it is through caviar and can be expensive.

monkosh on
    iec5nehi4ot3.png
  • SovereignvsSovereignvs Registered User regular
    Does anyone know restaurants that will deliver to the BCEC?
    Not just pizza/subs, but others as well.

• millerm277millerm277 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

I haven't been to Row 34, but they're owned by the same people who own Island Creek Oyster Bar in Kenmore, which is excellent and I've been to many times. Given the good reviews/things I've heard about it, and that their parentage that knows how to run a high-quality seafood restaurant, I would be pretty confident in it being great.

Personally, I consider the best (cold) lobster roll to be at Belle Isle Seafood on the Winthrop/East Boston border. They used to be in a literal falling apart shack, they're now in an industrial looking steel building. Picnic tables for seats. It's not a fancy place, but it is excellent food. Not easy to get to without a car though, it's a lengthy walk from the Orient Heights Blue Line stop.
    Does anyone know restaurants that will deliver to the BCEC?
    Not just pizza/subs, but others as well.

Grubhub and Foodler are your friend in Boston, lots of restaurants will deliver through them.

I'll also give a recommendation to Trident Booksellers & Cafe if you decide to go out to Back Bay - It's about half cafe, half bookstore. Hipstery/indie without being annoying. Great breakfast/lunch food, open till midnight. Very busy at weekend brunch hours. Great place to find something interesting to read, it's a well-curated selection, often at a good price by any standard. Not a place to go find some specific book unless it's extremely common.

millerm277 on
  • ElzemereElzemere BostonRegistered User regular
    If any of find yourselves in the financial district (Fanuiel Hall/Quincy Marketplace) and you love Mexican, I highly recommend The Villa Mexican Cafe.
    its a small place and it can get crowded during lunch, so don't plan on eating there. Luckily its only a couple blocks from the greenway if you like to eat on grass or benches.
    Genuine, family made mexican food with daily drink/treat specials. The chorizo quesadilla is a favorite of mine. And ABSOLUTELY try the salsa.