As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Election Season: More Argument than Duck Season v. Rabbit Season

• CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Zoel wrote: »
    Rubio was the only person I liked in this election period, so It's kind of sad for me that people are going to go after him on bringing a talking point to a debate, especially when he destroyed trump in the next four debates. People liked to hang onto that one moment because it was more convenient than attacking him on something more relevant.

but apparently the real point of debates is to say some rehearsed talking about a wall with nobody noticing so whatever

The 10 percent that remained for rubio aren't happy with the situation, but I think they agree that pulling the plug and going through political suicide is the best option; It's just that they want to do it before they join a cult, and not after.

Rubio has been a chronically absentee legislator from his time as a state representative to his doomed-from-the-start presidential campaign that was more important than being a senator (which is a job he will now lose at the end of the year, a mark of stupidity for someone who fancied himself a brainy up-and-comer), and talked about heralding the ideas of a "new generation" when they were cookie-cutter retrograde Reganisms at best - maybe excepting his stance on increasing the amount individuals could receive for the EITC, and making it a monthly source of income rather than an annual lump sum - of course he still wanted to cut capital gains taxes to stupefying lows. The guy is a dolt in the fashion of George W Bush and only lasted as long as he did because the media so desperately wanted to prop him up (much like media did for Dubya in the 2000 election).

His robo-talk repetition was just the mask of his supposed competence and grasp of policy slipping off if only momentarily. The fact that patricians pinned him as the "establishment hope" after JEB!'s wet fart of a campaign goes to show how ideologically bankrupt the Republican Party is, "reformicons" be damned. But since the GOP, unlike the Dems, have down-ticket discipline and infrastructure, not to mention voter suppression galore, they can still manage to have an out-sized presence in the legislature in spite of being the party of "Black and Brown people Barack Obama and Women suck, also taxes bad, thank you and good night."

CptKemzik on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I think @PiptheFair summed up Rubio the best when he called him an "Uncle Tom"

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I think Chris Christie was the one person who could have mounted a credible campaign against the presumptive Dem nominee Hillary as he had some cogent (i/e not completely insane) policies and tangible experience governing a state, not to mention a blustering asshole persona that jibes well with self-loathing Americans for a general election, but one that stops just shy of the beyond-the-pale Trumpisms we have been subjected to.

Of course a) hellloooooo corruption! and b) the clownshoes 2.0: clown harder roster of 2016 GOP candidates prevented the chance for his own pitiful strain of noise to grow into a signal. Ironically, like Rubio, he received incessant media coverage as a Serious Presidential Contender in the run-up to this campaign. If there is one silver-lining to the Donald's troll-licious hostile takeover, it's discrediting once and for all Beltway conventional wisdom on what it means to be "presidential."

CptKemzik on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Oh Mississippi

I swear the conservative version of america sounds terrifying.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    america will never elect a fat guy

i say this as a fat guy

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    So, I read something about something nutty Sarah Palin said, and it made me curious as to her educational background.

So, I head over to Wikipedia. She has a degree in communication.

COMMUNICATION.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

i say this as a fat guy

man that taft was a fat mother

i say this as a fat guy

I dunno man we keep up our shitty eating habits we're going to have to.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

i say this as a fat guy

I dunno man we keep up our shitty eating habits we're going to have to.

Its been done.

71460-004-49760B95.jpg

• ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    Oh Mississippi

I have a lot of questions about this.

But mostly im curious on why
    "The Police Chiefs Association says the bill would lower the bar for who can carry a concealed, loaded gun in public to include violent criminals, some severely mentally ill people, and chronic alcoholics."

I got halfway through the bill before my eyes glazed over. But does this actually lower any of the standards for who can own a gun? I assumed that it would just be "if you can already own a gun under our laws you can legally use it to defend your church so long as your church has approved you to do this ahead of time."

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Ah, but you see, Taft also had an excellent mustache.

Taft is the exception to the rule.

and is awesome.

i've fanboyed out about taft too many times in too many different threads, tho

edit:
    Shorty wrote: »

i say this as a fat guy

shut yo mouth!

Metzger Meister on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

and is awesome.

edit:

i say this as a fat guy

shut yo mouth!

I'm only talkin' 'bout Taft!

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Taft got elected because that far back in time people still associated fatness with prosperity and success

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    He probably wasn't even that fat compared to todays standards.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

and is awesome.

edit:

i say this as a fat guy

shut yo mouth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pENWP8r1-7M

UNREGISTERED HYPERCAM ACTIVITY DETECTED, CYBERNETIC KILLHOUNDS HAVE BEEN DISPATCHED

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

i say this as a fat guy

America has elected a bunch of fat guys. Probably gonna be awhile before we elect a fat woman because double standards. But like so long as someone isn't horrendously ugly (unless they're old, in which case they can slightly get away with it) physical appearance (excepting skin color) isn't that big a factor.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Naaaah

He was fat.

Like 340lbs fat.

mcp wrote: »
    Naaaah

He was fat.

Like 340lbs fat.

That's like a size 6 in modern clothing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Naaaah

He was fat.

Like 340lbs fat.

I weigh like 350.

So what you are saying is I should be president.

Uriel wrote: »
    Naaaah

He was fat.

Like 340lbs fat.

I weigh like 350.

So what you are saying is I should be president.

Nah we're hold out for President Shaq with his veep Charles Barkley.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    "Mr. O'Neal, what's your position on sick dunks?"
    "Strongly in favor."

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    "and on free throws?"
    "next question please"

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Zenyatoo wrote: »
    Oh Mississippi

"The Police Chiefs Association says the bill would lower the bar for who can carry a concealed, loaded gun in public to include violent criminals, some severely mentally ill people, and chronic alcoholics."

I got halfway through the bill before my eyes glazed over. But does this actually lower any of the standards for who can own a gun? I assumed that it would just be "if you can already own a gun under our laws you can legally use it to defend your church so long as your church has approved you to do this ahead of time."

I want to feel sorry for the people living in Mississippi (and Louisiana and Kansas) but seriously, these wounds keep getting self-inflicted over and over and over again.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    I remember my first "Shaq is bad at free throws" joke, it was featured in the film "Steel" but it was a grenade and not a basketball

I didn't get it at the time

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    "and on free throws?"
    "next question please"

Damn Got'cha journalists...

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Zenyatoo wrote: »
    Oh Mississippi

I want to feel sorry for the people living in Mississippi (and Louisiana and Kansas) but seriously, these wounds keep getting self-inflicted over and over and over again.
    Some of us did not inflict those wounds! Some of us advocated for our neighbors to stop inflicting those wounds!

steam_sig.png
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    Zoel wrote: »
    Rubio was the only person I liked in this election period, so It's kind of sad for me that people are going to go after him on bringing a talking point to a debate, especially when he destroyed trump in the next four debates. People liked to hang onto that one moment because it was more convenient than attacking him on something more relevant.

but apparently the real point of debates is to say some rehearsed talking about a wall with nobody noticing so whatever

The 10 percent that remained for rubio aren't happy with the situation, but I think they agree that pulling the plug and going through political suicide is the best option; It's just that they want to do it before they join a cult, and not after.

Rubio has been a chronically absentee legislator from his time as a state representative to his doomed-from-the-start presidential campaign that was more important than being a senator (which is a job he will now lose at the end of the year, a mark of stupidity for someone who fancied himself a brainy up-and-comer), and talked about heralding the ideas of a "new generation" when they were cookie-cutter retrograde Reganisms at best - maybe excepting his stance on increasing the amount individuals could receive for the EITC, and making it a monthly source of income rather than an annual lump sum - of course he still wanted to cut capital gains taxes to stupefying lows. The guy is a dolt in the fashion of George W Bush and only lasted as long as he did because the media so desperately wanted to prop him up (much like media did for Dubya in the 2000 election).

His robo-talk repetition was just the mask of his supposed competence and grasp of policy slipping off if only momentarily. The fact that patricians pinned him as the "establishment hope" after JEB!'s wet fart of a campaign goes to show how ideologically bankrupt the Republican Party is, "reformicons" be damned. But since the GOP, unlike the Dems, have down-ticket discipline and infrastructure, not to mention voter suppression galore, they can still manage to have an out-sized presence in the legislature in spite of being the party of "Black and Brown people Barack Obama and Women suck, also taxes bad, thank you and good night."

The argument for Rubio was never really his competence specifically although his demeanor helped in that regard. It was basically rooted in the idea that conservative values aren't incompatible with, well, the existence of legislation. Unfortunately going out on that limb kind of sticks you into being an absentee representative instead of someone who isn't afraid to stand up and shout down. His genius was that he was able to cloak moderate positions in the garb of the far right.

The #1 policy thing that Rubio had going for him was a way out of the student debt bubble. He took sanders free college platform and made it red; Instead of charging wall street he just charged the people who work for wall street. You go to college then you pay 0.5 to 2% of your income in taxes for a set period of time. Education helped you earn a lot of income? Cool. You make a lot of money so pay up. Didn't work out well? That sucks; no charge.
    If there is one silver-lining to the Donald's troll-licious hostile takeover, it's discrediting once and for all Beltway conventional wisdom on what it means to be "presidential."

I think a Hillary Clinton victory would save that particular bit of conventional wisdom, especially if she manages to defeat not one but two populist candidates.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.

and is awesome.

edit:

i say this as a fat guy

shut yo mouth!

i can dig it!

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm pretty proud of myself for successfully deploying a basketball reference

You could try baseball now, I hear Ty Cobb is a real asshole

Taft's legacy was so enormous that he had to be a supreme court justice in addition to a president. I saw his tombstone at arlington and it was

well it was big. He gets a lot more space than other people for some reason.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm pretty proud of myself for successfully deploying a basketball reference

It goes to show how pervasive Shaq is bad at free throws is. Though if you've never caught his shenanigans on TNT's basketball half time show, they are a national treasure even if you hate basketball.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    pe1p8dsnj3ys.jpg

Taft was pretty cool. He even got to marry Maeby.

Also I don't think you can really fault anyone for wanting George W. Bush to beat John McCain in that primary. History could have turned out very differently if a man somehow more Hawkish than, well, everyone, was president during George W. Bush's first term.

https://youtu.be/QNpktJrbbKw

Your next president/veep.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I saw that movie in the theater

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I saw Space Jam in the theater

My dad liked it so much, he dragged us all out to see it a second time

Was it just you and Shaq?

pleasepaypreacher.net

Was it just you and Shaq?

yeah he was there

just watching

and crying a little bit

you know what's crazy? I've always hated basketball, even as a kid

I just really liked Shaq

This discussion has been closed.