As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Election Season: More Argument than Duck Season v. Rabbit Season

19495969798100»

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Zoel wrote: »
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    Rubio was the only person I liked in this election period, so It's kind of sad for me that people are going to go after him on bringing a talking point to a debate, especially when he destroyed trump in the next four debates. People liked to hang onto that one moment because it was more convenient than attacking him on something more relevant.

but apparently the real point of debates is to say some rehearsed talking about a wall with nobody noticing so whatever

The 10 percent that remained for rubio aren't happy with the situation, but I think they agree that pulling the plug and going through political suicide is the best option; It's just that they want to do it before they join a cult, and not after.

Rubio has been a chronically absentee legislator from his time as a state representative to his doomed-from-the-start presidential campaign that was more important than being a senator (which is a job he will now lose at the end of the year, a mark of stupidity for someone who fancied himself a brainy up-and-comer), and talked about heralding the ideas of a "new generation" when they were cookie-cutter retrograde Reganisms at best - maybe excepting his stance on increasing the amount individuals could receive for the EITC, and making it a monthly source of income rather than an annual lump sum - of course he still wanted to cut capital gains taxes to stupefying lows. The guy is a dolt in the fashion of George W Bush and only lasted as long as he did because the media so desperately wanted to prop him up (much like media did for Dubya in the 2000 election).

His robo-talk repetition was just the mask of his supposed competence and grasp of policy slipping off if only momentarily. The fact that patricians pinned him as the "establishment hope" after JEB!'s wet fart of a campaign goes to show how ideologically bankrupt the Republican Party is, "reformicons" be damned. But since the GOP, unlike the Dems, have down-ticket discipline and infrastructure, not to mention voter suppression galore, they can still manage to have an out-sized presence in the legislature in spite of being the party of "Black and Brown people Barack Obama and Women suck, also taxes bad, thank you and good night."

The argument for Rubio was never really his competence specifically although his demeanor helped in that regard. It was basically rooted in the idea that conservative values aren't incompatible with, well, the existence of legislation. Unfortunately going out on that limb kind of sticks you into being an absentee representative instead of someone who isn't afraid to stand up and shout down. His genius was that he was able to cloak moderate positions in the garb of the far right.

The #1 policy thing that Rubio had going for him was a way out of the student debt bubble. He took sanders free college platform and made it red; Instead of charging wall street he just charged the people who work for wall street. You go to college then you pay 0.5 to 2% of your income in taxes for a set period of time. Education helped you earn a lot of income? Cool. You make a lot of money so pay up. Didn't work out well? That sucks; no charge.
    If there is one silver-lining to the Donald's troll-licious hostile takeover, it's discrediting once and for all Beltway conventional wisdom on what it means to be "presidential."

I think a Hillary Clinton victory would save that particular bit of conventional wisdom, especially if she manages to defeat not one but two populist candidates.

He also had a tax plan that was almost as regressive as that of Cruz which included a dramatic increase in defense spending to boot. Even conservative think tanks concluded his proposals would add to the national debt several trillion dollars. It was a complete illusion fostered by the GOP establishment and his financiers that he was some sort of moderate. Rubio socially would have been the most right wing candidate in decades and his fiscal plans were just a slightly worse version of those of George W Bush.

The only difference between Cruz and Rubio is one is somewhat liked personally by his colleagues and the other is near universally despised.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Shaq is a very likeable person, especially for a Crag Giant, known for their tempers and malevolence

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Rubio wasn't in congress enough for people to dislike him.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Zenyatoo wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oh Mississippi

I swear the conservative version of america sounds terrifying.

I have a lot of questions about this.

But mostly im curious on why
    "The Police Chiefs Association says the bill would lower the bar for who can carry a concealed, loaded gun in public to include violent criminals, some severely mentally ill people, and chronic alcoholics."

I got halfway through the bill before my eyes glazed over. But does this actually lower any of the standards for who can own a gun? I assumed that it would just be "if you can already own a gun under our laws you can legally use it to defend your church so long as your church has approved you to do this ahead of time."

I want to feel sorry for the people living in Mississippi (and Louisiana and Kansas) but seriously, these wounds keep getting self-inflicted over and over and over again.
    Some of us did not inflict those wounds! Some of us advocated for our neighbors to stop inflicting those wounds!

You're right, let me clarify. I truly feel sorry for those people living in those states who didn't vote in the chucklefucks screwing everything up and making them race in the 3rd world marathon. Everyone who voted them in or didn't vote can deal.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options

A young pretty Reaganite will always be appreciated in the GOP especially over a creep that calls everyone he works with a fake conservative publicly and privately.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

A young pretty Reaganite will always be appreciated in the GOP especially over a creep that calls everyone he works with a fake conservative publicly and privately.

That's just what a fake conservative would say!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Well, I don't know what to tell you. I went through more or less every platform with a plausible chance of getting through and Rubio's was the only one that I could stomach socially or fiscally on the GOP side.

Then again he was up against some pretty stark choices. In terms of the GOP I was for him more than anyone else, and until the BDS fiasco I was cautiously for Sanders, but at this point It's really a question of who has the running mate least likely to nuke someone on accident should their predecessor choke on caviar.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    You could stomach Rubio's no exemptions for abortion policy?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    You could stomach Rubio's no exemptions for abortion policy?

He was a bit of a waffler on that. His ultimate conclusion was something to the effect of "yeah I'd kind of like there to be no exceptions but I live in a world where that isn't even remotely realistic so there have to be exceptions"

Which is why he let anti-abortion bills through the florida house that included those exceptions

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    That's not much of a waffle, and its still a regressive as fuck social policy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    granted a lot of my good feelings toward rubio are tempered by the fact that he actually called regular people to thank him for stuff and to ask for favors instead of doing it through surrogates

even if he could only say hey whats up for a minute or two

I had a conversation with him that went like this, probably because I was one of not many supporters in the state I live in currently (edit: Also I bought too many marco is bae t-shirts because I thought they were hilarious especially if he lost, kind of like dukakis swag)

"Hey would you like to collect signatures for my campaign in rhode island to get on the ballot?"

"not really"

"Can I ask why not?"

"I don't really want people around me to know that I supported a Republican."

"haha well thanks for your support anyway. I really appreciate it."

Zoel on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thats nice, and I will admit it humanisizes a candidate, but man even if hes the nicest guy his policies are ass

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    there are a lot of people who are just the nicest folk you'll meet who happen to have some decidedly draconian opinions on abortion and other issues

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I visited the nearby registration office to vote early today.

They had a sign in sheet for everybody who had voted earlier in the day.

There were only three names listed.

More people who have the opportunity should vote early.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    granted a lot of my good feelings toward rubio are tempered by the fact that he actually called regular people to thank him for stuff and to ask for favors instead of doing it through surrogates

even if he could only say hey whats up for a minute or two

I had a conversation with him that went like this, probably because I was one of not many supporters in the state I live in currently (edit: Also I bought too many marco is bae t-shirts because I thought they were hilarious especially if he lost, kind of like dukakis swag)

"Hey would you like to collect signatures for my campaign in rhode island to get on the ballot?"

"not really"

"Can I ask why not?"

"I don't really want people around me to know that I supported a Republican."

"haha well thanks for your support anyway. I really appreciate it."

There's a lot of research to support the effectiveness of this approach and in person meeting over most other traditional campaign methods. He like any other candidate doesn't do those things because he's a nice guy.

• Options
    I visited the nearby registration office to vote early today.

They had a sign in sheet for everybody who had voted earlier in the day.

There were only three names listed.

More people who have the opportunity should vote early.

I wish this was available out here, but were a crazy Red state that hates its own citizens

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Shaq is legit inspirational.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Shaq is legit inspirational.

Thats why he has his own soda

• Options
    alternatively he is a nice guy who uses an effective approach that leverages the fact that he is a nice guy
    That's not much of a waffle, and its still a regressive as fuck social policy.

Ok, so it isn't as impressive a waffle as being mostly pro choice then wanting to throw women in prison and then being mostly ok exceptions. I'll give you that one.

But if I had to pick a GOP candidate to support via any means plausible because there was someone else in the race who utterly terrified me, which as it so happens I did have to, then I think by comparison Rubio isn't exactly far out to the right of everyone in that primary.

Also being someone who wasn't willing to throw out everything else in his platform over a right to life made him strike me as someone who wouldn't shut down the government over not much.

This discussion has been closed.