As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Fire Emblem Thread! Echoes may be a remake but hey lets use spoilers anyway

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I had no idea female corrin could marry gunter

and fuga??!

where the old lady supports for big boy corrin at, IS

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I had no idea female corrin could marry gunter

and fuga??!

where the old lady supports for big boy corrin at, IS
    There's Reina!

Although Lady Corrin gets Shura, too...

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Well there is Camilla

She's gotta be like 22 or something so basically a pensioner

2x39jD4.jpg
  • ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Well there is Camilla

She's gotta be like 22 or something so basically a pensioner

Camilla is younger than Xander though IIRC, so if she counts so does he.

I think the oldest two ladies are Reina and Orochi? Maybe Effie as well.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Reina and Orochi are prrrrrobably the oldest, since they're Mikoto's retainers?

it's hard to say though, considering the character artist just...Cherche couldn't have been that much younger than Gregor based on her supports, and yet

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Old women don't exist except for the ones that are stuck in a perpetually young body

So the answer in this case is: Nyx

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well...even if we talking "old" we talking late 20s/30s at best...

Which really isn't old at all.

edited April 2016
    Mikoto herself probably wasn't even 40.

Edit: I don't like this conversation. :P

Janson on
    It'd be fun if the player character was older--or heck, if your unit was the Jeigan. I doubt they'd ever go that route, but an experienced protagonist character with several war campaigns under their belt would sure be an interesting angle

signature.png
    SilverWind wrote: »
    It'd be fun if the player character was older--or heck, if your unit was the Jeigan. I doubt they'd ever go that route, but an experienced protagonist character with several war campaigns under their belt would sure be an interesting angle

That was technically Ike in Radiant dawn. He wasn't exactly old but everyone is busy pointing out that he's a super experienced fighter in charge of a group of veteran mercs.
    IIRC he even had the great bases horrible growths thing going on.
    Though i suppose bonus exp trivialized the whole bad growth issue.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    Reina and Orochi are prrrrrobably the oldest, since they're Mikoto's retainers?

it's hard to say though, considering the character artist just...Cherche couldn't have been that much younger than Gregor based on her supports, and yet

Reina's probably somewhere in her forties, and good looking for her age. Not ancient or anything, but definitely hot for teacher at minimum. She's got a face with a few more lines, it's just the scar distracts from the eyes.

Meanwhile, Flavia's old enough to be Chrom's mother (So, 40ish going by the Basilio support), and looks... about the same age as the rest of the army. I guess the old saying is right about things that don't crack.

(Cherche's age is weird. Some supports give hard numbers, but they contradict everything else about her attitude and the way people treat her, which places her somewhere in her late 20s to mid thirties. Early concept art looks a little more aged, for whatever that's worth.)

• JarsJars Registered User regular

sigurd is a jeigan and a lord. but he's not really a jeigan since you need him to get through the first generation

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Well, got a couple of consecutive days off work and managed to finish off the rest of Conquest. Thoughts:
    First off, the last couple of chapters were way easier than I was expecting. I had some real trouble with the one where you fight Hans and Iago (all my durable units were either armored, beasts, or both except for Arthur, who would almost certainly have gotten crit by one of the berserkers. On the other hand, I got through the final battle on my first try. I think I was probably a bit overleveled? About half my main team was level 20. Even the penultimate chapter I only had to restart once because I didn't realize that Counter Magic would reflect the damage from a Flame Shuriken.

It was kind of weird that Xander didn't seem to care about his wife mysteriously disappearing after the final battle. It was jarring enough that I don't think I can use that pairing again, even if I thought it was pretty good otherwise. Aside from that, the story seemed fine? Maybe I had just lowered my expectations from so many people here complaining about it, but it didn't seem worse than typical JRPG fare. It did feel good to punch Takumi's face in!

Definitely glad I went with Knight for Corrin's second class. Great Knights are really useful and having an extra tank with guaranteed weapon triangle advantage was fantastic. I suspect I'll probably end up back at Great Knight in Revelations, it was so good.

I'm glad that I beat it on Classic, even if it made me very frustrated, but I don't think I'll be doing that again. I'm actually a little concerned about replayability, considering the amount of content. I played through Awakening probably 4-5 times, but there's no way I'll be able to do that with Fates.

Anyway, I think I'm going to skip the DLC and move on to Birthright. I'll probably save DLC for Revelations, unless I feel like coming back to this save file later.

Terrendos on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Honestly, Conquest is the only Fates campaign I'd replay

dN0T6ur.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    My big regret about Conquest 26 is...
    That I failed to get Kaze (or any Ninja, but Kaze was the one I had available) up to A rank in shurikens so I could actually use the Spy's Shuriken to heckle Iago. As it stood, I just had to plinkshot him to death with Forrest, who was the only person in my army I could trust to take a crit from him and not die.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    hrmrmrmrm

i was planning on benching most of the Hoshido royals this go around but in lieu of Elise, Sakura's been levelling well and pulling her weight. And of course the first Nohr royal to show up is the one i'm least interested in/also a prepromote

bah. bah

I can understand not caring for Camilla's personality and design, but as a unit, she's maybe the best in the game. Good bases, good personal skill, good class, great growths. She's even got adjusted XP gains to counter the prepromote thing. Give her a Prf weapon, and she'd make everyone else obsolete.

Well worth using.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Once I've wrapped up Conquest, I'm probably gonna take a breather before I start up Revelations. I'm getting a bit of Fire Emblem fatigue.

...plus Dark Souls just came out

Fire Emblem will actually be saving me money. If I hadn't purchased it I'd almost definitely have gotten XCOM 2 when it came out, but there's enough game here for me to either 1) get tired of TBS games or 2) spend long enough playing FE that when I can get XCOM 2 it'll be on Steam Sale.

Congrats on finishing Conquest, Terrendos!

@chiasaur11 so you don't reclass Camilla? I feel like I'm possibly using her wrongly since she's far from being my most useful unit.

I started a new Birthright campaign because I'm a terrible human being.

Janson wrote: »

@chiasaur11 so you don't reclass Camilla? I feel like I'm possibly using her wrongly since she's far from being my most useful unit.

I didn't, but I hear she's even better in Wyvern Lord. Still, she was pretty useful throughout the game, and her daughter was incredibly effective. Meh defense, but everything I pointed her at tended to explode.

Janson wrote: »

Take her to 5 for savage blow and then switch her out. Wyvern rider has much better growths in all the standard stats, at the cost of slightly less magic and I think resistance? Which is frankly non-essential. You have plenty of other better magic users (Malig knight camillas magic never takes off anyway) and I never found enemy mages difficult to handle in the first place.

She's still a good unit as malig knight though. It's obnoxious that her whole adjusted exp gain thing isnt explained anywhere. She was one of those units I put on the bench for quite a while because "well she's promoted already gotta get that exp to somewhere it wont be wasted." but I definitely could have just used her more to make certain maps easier without feeling like i was wasting anything... Oh well.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    wyvern lord drops her resist, but she still has 45% growth. in return she gets 10% more hp and defense, and better in all offensive stats.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    3pj3wumh0mvk.jpg
    not pictured: Corrin's look of abject disgust

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Elise
    (Birthright)
    A bonnet ain't gonna prevent people from recognizing their princess

Apparently there's a whole bunch of people sticking Fates character heads on scenes from other things. I present, without judgment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxTV9AGZEHU

Elise
    (Birthright)

Well,
    Even the Hoshidan royals don't recognize the Nohr royals in the beginning of the game, so how well known are their faces, really? Before the age of photographs, how widely circulated would royal portraits be? Or accurate?

Chapter 6's decision is never not going to make me feel awful. Also Ryoma really is a dick to Corrin over the whole chapter even if you choose Hoshido. Jerk.

I only just learned that Nohr in the Japanese version is called my daughter's name which is pretty cool and clearly more evidence that Corrin does belong in Nohr if I have to choose.

Elise
    (Birthright)
    IIRC that one old lady actually does know who Elise is.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Birthright 23
    made me fight Effie

god damn you birthright

I wanted to talk her down, but Corrin bit the dust before I could reach her, whoops

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Once I've wrapped up Conquest, I'm probably gonna take a breather before I start up Revelations. I'm getting a bit of Fire Emblem fatigue.

...plus Dark Souls just came out

My sister

I have put way too many hours into Fire Emblem in the past two months; Dark Souls 3 is a good palette cleanser, at least until later

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Birthright 24
    are you kidding me

Lilith dies in this one too

this time it somehow feels even more random than it did in conquest

seriously, she hasn't appeared at all in like 18 chapters, I had no idea she was even traveling with us

this is downright comical

oh COME ON

(birthright 25)
    Leo kills Iago in both paths?

I HAVE BEEN WAITING TWO PATHS TO KILL THAT RAT MYSELF

60+ HOURS

AND BOTH TIMES THEY ROB ME OF IT

Butler, reading your experiences is really enjoyable :lol:

signature.png
    oh COME ON

(birthright 25)
    Leo kills Iago in both paths?

I HAVE BEEN WAITING TWO PATHS TO KILL THAT RAT MYSELF

60+ HOURS

AND BOTH TIMES THEY ROB ME OF IT
    Leo is just the absolute best character in birthright.
    I still cant get over the
    Corrin: "Your collar is inside out."
    Leo: "DAMN"
    Leo: "IT"

exchange they have in the forest chapter.

edited April 2016
    Why, thank you!

I'll be taking a short break after I beat birthright, but I'll be doing Revelations too!

Butler For Life #1 on
    Why, thank you!

I'll be taking a short break after I beat birthright, but I'll be doing Revelations too!

Revelations definitely takes a lot out of you. Be prepared to cut it down into chunks.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Zenyatoo wrote: »
    Why, thank you!

Revelations definitely takes a lot out of you. Be prepared to cut it down into chunks.

So many supports...

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Birthright has been okay but I just auto-battled chapter 20 on Lunatic in a no-grind run.

Disappointed at that. Chapter 18 was much the same. It has been fun playing around with heart seals and building this team but what is the point if it these missions seem to be falling behind the difficulty curve...?

Why, thank you!

I've only played a few missions in, but every single mission so far was boring, terrible, or both. It's hard to get up any enthusiasm for playing more.

Birthright has been okay but I just auto-battled chapter 20 on Lunatic in a no-grind run.

Disappointed at that. Chapter 18 was much the same. It has been fun playing around with heart seals and building this team but what is the point if it these missions seem to be falling behind the difficulty curve...?

I was feeling that too, but the missions get a bit tougher once you hit around 20 or so.

chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Why, thank you!

I've only played a few missions in, but every single mission so far was boring, terrible, or both. It's hard to get up any enthusiasm for playing more.

The gimmicks wear thin, and they keep giving you some truly useless members (Seriously why do you join 20 levels below the other guy who joins this chapter uuuugh)
    Plus I can only deploy 12 units of my 70 man crew? Oh until the last 2 chapters where I can suddenly deploy 16, but because ive been stuck at 12 for the last 8 chapters anyone I might want to throw in is criminally underleveled so whoops, welcome to being my cannon fodder and/or staffbots.

I still had fun with it all said and done but I have so many gripes. So so many.

This discussion has been closed.