As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We are all tired, poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free of this [Election]

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
Every few years we as a nation come together and elect a leader of the great nation of the United States of America.

Now theres some argument on weather or no what we do actually matters. If the candidates we like even have a chance if they break the party lines, or if we are all just spinning endlessly in a hamster wheel while our corporate overloads watch down upon us from on high.

But who am I to say how it works? I am but a man, and as such I am here to present only the facts about this election cycle so here are the candidates:

REPUBLICAN

Ted "Soupy Soup" "The Zodiac Killer" Cruz
QPwvole.png?1

This is man who loves soup and the GOP. Hes their current big gun that the Republican Party seems to be rallying behind. He is pretty religious and conservative. If elected he has promised a can of Chunky Soup in every cupboard.

Donald "The Donald" Trump
donald-trump.jpg?itok=Bh23RIsi

Hes rude, hes crude, he speaks his mind, and he hates veterans who didn't win, the poor, Mexicans, people with disabilities, anyone whos Muslim, and people who don't agree that his daughter is hot. He wants to make America great again. What does that mean? Who the hell knows. Not him, hes too busy being the best at elections.

DEMOCRATS

Hillary "The Rod" Clinton
Hillary-Clinton1.jpg
(seen here jamming out to her favorite tunes)
Hillary is the moderate Democrat and appears to be the front runner for the Democratic Party. They love her, your grand parents love her, minorities seem to love her, and her husband...exists. Shes taken heat for everything you can think of from flip flopping opinions to military actions she had little to no involvement in, to just being a woman. She has a strong lead on the party nom right now but she is something of a divisive candidate to some in the party.

Bernie "The Burninator" Sanders
funny-bernie-sanders-campaign-slogans-1-400x209.jpg

Hes the far side of the liberal Democrats. He wasn't always a Democrat, and honestly after this election if he loses he will probably go back to not being one. That being said he wants to fight, for your right, to equal pay and getting money out of politics. He seems to be a man of the people, often mingling and spending time with his supporters. Even if you don't like his policies you gotta admit hes awful friendly!

So yeah thats what were looking at right now. There might be a few surprised down the road but right now that is our 2016 US Presidental Line Up!

Now imagine them all running out onto a stage to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq8VPYPzKHk

Ok so, same as last time: Please keep discussion civil and refrain from letting arguments on the internet make your blood boil. Count to 10 and take a deep breath.

Now enjoy this great post from Joshofalltrades
Okay, I'm going to do my best to summarize all of the crazy things that have happened so far in the 2015-2016 Republican Presidential primary races. Just to put it in perspective. I'm going to leave out memes like the Zodiac Killer thing because that's just the Internet being the Internet.

Ben Carson

Chris Christie

Ted Cruz

Carly Fiorina

Mike Huckabee

JEB!

John Kasich

Rand Paul

Marco Rubio

*breaks out the liquor*

Donald Trump

Scott Walker

You know what? I'm done. I don't even think this is everything. Jesus Christ.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I made this post a few hours ago and was waiting, waiting for the old thread to get closed so I can pounce

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Bernie did release his 2014 tax return today as promised. About $206,000 in gross income, paid about $28,000 in federal income tax. Made like $8500 in gift donations.

Pretty much a standard tax return for someone in his position, as he said.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Poor Kasich can't even get listed in the OP.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    Poor Kasich can't even get listed in the OP.

He's too busy hanging out in the food thread.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    and explaining Judaism to Jewish people

With more than 800 people being arrested during the Democracy Spring protests you know some iconic imagery was going to come out of it...

GcHJzE4.jpg

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I wonder if anyone's ever gonna make a documentary about the first couple decades in the new millennium with regards to American history and political strife like that tv miniseries doc The 60's

Cuz just in the last few years there have been some amazingly powerful visuals of protests. Pepper spray cop, the guy throwing that tear gas canister during Ferguson, lady liberty up there.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    o0cVKbo.jpg

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    little does that man know that in australia "pissed" means "drunk"

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @joshofalltrades you ok buddy? how much damage was done from that post? do you need more chocolate?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    o0cVKbo.jpg
    little does that man know that in australia "pissed" means "drunk"

He's at a Trump rally.

• ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    I wonder if anyone's ever gonna make a documentary about the first couple decades in the new millennium with regards to American history and political strife like that tv miniseries doc The 60's

Cuz just in the last few years there have been some amazingly powerful visuals of protests. Pepper spray cop, the guy throwing that tear gas canister during Ferguson, lady liberty up there.

The turnaround on those documentaries is like what, 18 months now? How long was there between the overthrow of Mubarak and the Square showing up on Netflix?

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    joshofalltrades you ok buddy? how much damage was done from that post? do you need more chocolate?

Other than the occasional despair that this is what roughly one half of our country has turned into, I'm fine

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    jgeis wrote: »
    Bernie did release his 2014 tax return today as promised. About $206,000 in gross income, paid about $28,000 in federal income tax. Made like $8500 in gift donations.

From outside the states that's a crazy low amount of tax.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

It is just Federal tax however. Maybe the states take a little more?

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    He's still among the poorest senators in the US.

It is just Federal tax however. Maybe the states take a little more?

Possibly. In Texas for instance, that'd be it, but presumably he's taxed in Vermont which I assume has a decent rate of income tax.

I'm not judging Bernie on it or anything, it's just a culture shock. That's around the amount of tax that I paid, and I did not make 206 000 dollars last year.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    With more than 800 people being arrested during the Democracy Spring protests you know some iconic imagery was going to come out of it...

GcHJzE4.jpg

Apparently Rosario Dawson was one of those arrested last night.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah Sanders probably paid ~half again more in state income tax.

But there's also non-tax taxes, like social security, which isn't included in the $28k. Then there's all the non-income taxes (property, sales, gas, etc), but I don't know how or if those are done in other countries.

I think Medicare or -aid is taxed like SS as well

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    American's probably pay the least in taxes

but complain the loudest about how much they are paying.

zkHcp.jpg
    edited April 2016
    That is indeed part of the payroll tax although it's usually listed as a separate line from SS on my paycheck. (It went down at the same time as the Bush relief on payroll taxes, iirc .)

Vermont income tax rate is 6% to 7%; property tax/car tax depends on your county.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
    Do you pay state income on the total or the taxed total?

edited April 2016
    Do you pay state income on the total or the taxed total?

In some ways it depends on the state. State taxes are the full income because it can trigger a deduction on the federal tax which may or may not be taxed in future years as if it were income. That's sort of weird since it's a tax on money you didn't pay instead of money you earned, but whatever.

As far as I can tell this only applies if you're rich or bored enough to make itemization worth your time. I've tried to figure this out a few times but my Wife and I have to pay tax in RI, Mass, NH and CT, and uhhhh it sucks. (State income tax is based on where you earned the money, not on where you live.) Honestly after one year of trying this I just started throwing it into Turbo tax or going to HR Block and put my faith in the lord.

Zoel on
    edited April 2016
    I got outstandingly shit on by the tax man this year. I had to pay tax to Quebec on income I made before I fucking moved to Quebec.

Tube on
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Welcome to the only province where we have to file our taxes both a provincial and federal organization because quebec is a special little angel that doesn't trust those english people and every other province just lets CRA handle it

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    American's probably pay the least in taxes

but complain the loudest about how much they are paying.

Cum hoc ergo proper hoc, except for real

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Do not cum on my hawk

PNk1Ml4.png
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Welcome to the only province where we have to file our taxes both a provincial and federal organization because quebec is a special little angel that doesn't trust those english people and every other province just lets CRA handle it

There's a ton of special snowflake Quebec stuff, it's one reason I want to move. Immigration here especially is a way bigger ballache than in the rest of Canada.

Does Vanilla have offices in the rest of Canada?

edited April 2016

Ottawa :(

Tube on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My taxes were paid for me by my employer

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs will let me know in due course if I've paid too much (and give me the money back) or too little (and tax me a bit more next year to make up for it)

All hail PAYE, suckas

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Earlier this morning my doorbell rang but I could not answer right away, still waking up. Got to the door about a minute later, no one was there but on the door step was a Cruz flyer, the first "support X prez candidate" literature I've seen left at my door this season.

Literal first thought upon seeing it: "So, it has begun..."

For reference, I live in Indiana, so primaries are coming up in a few weeks.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Cruz flyers: the new flaming bag o' poop

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Didn't Indiana already pick it's delegates? Or is that some other state I'm thinking of?

Ottawa :(

@Cello would be better to talk about Ottawa, but it doesn't sound bad unless you're a huge night-life type person?

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Hi yes it's me, the Ottawa person

Ottawa isn't as bad as you'd hear from folks living in Toronto or Montreal. It's kind of a mix of urban and rural. There's obviously less to do than in the bigger metropolises, but if you live downtown it's nice. Decent place to raise a family in the suburbs - safe, there aren't really any "bad" neighbourhoods outside of maaaaybe Vanier, affordable housing and property. But if you're under 35, you probably want to live downtown.

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Earlier this morning my doorbell rang but I could not answer right away, still waking up. Got to the door about a minute later, no one was there but on the door step was a Cruz flyer, the first "support X prez candidate" literature I've seen left at my door this season.

Dude, go early vote. It took me like 20 minutes including driving.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Indiana's Primary is on May 3rd, and there are about 15 other states left to vote, including upcoming New York and California in June. In the past, by the time May rolls around there usually a clear front runner among the two or three candidates per party and the Primary is more or less a formality.

It's looking like that will not be the case this time around.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular

Dude, go early vote. It took me like 20 minutes including driving.

One of these days they'll let people like me vote here in florida. But no one ever campaigns for our right to vote because they're all too busy with important issues or something.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My taxes were paid for me by my employer

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs will let me know in due course if I've paid too much (and give me the money back) or too little (and tax me a bit more next year to make up for it)

All hail PAYE, suckas

Centralization of revenue collection has its benefits.

This discussion has been closed.