As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roleplaying Games] The Old Thread Has Been Slain, A New One Rises From Its Ashes

19596979899101»

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Mind is also hilariously powerful.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Forces can be insane, too. Control Light, a two dot Forces spell, doubles a light's incandescence with each success. Buy a nice laser pointer and you can theoretically cut a building in half with it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Do we have any Old World of Darkness fans in the house?

I have a 'kitchen sink' oWoD game coming up that's going to be a shakedown cruise for finding new players. Just dump everybody in the deep end, let them play what they want to play and see how they do it.

Now I'm in this game to try and support players who exhibit good habits, and try to bring out the best in them while hopefully modeling what kind of players our group wants to see. What I'm worried about is that we'll end up with a less-than-good player in a combat monster role who just wants to rip everything to pieces come hell or high water, and mechanically the party will be at a loss to stop them.

So for you oWod gurus, do you have any suggestions for a splat and/or a build that can handle some of oWoD's worst combat monster PCs?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Do we have any Old World of Darkness fans in the house?

I have a 'kitchen sink' oWoD game coming up that's going to be a shakedown cruise for finding new players. Just dump everybody in the deep end, let them play what they want to play and see how they do it.

Now I'm in this game to try and support players who exhibit good habits, and try to bring out the best in them while hopefully modeling what kind of players our group wants to see. What I'm worried about is that we'll end up with a less-than-good player in a combat monster role who just wants to rip everything to pieces come hell or high water, and mechanically the party will be at a loss to stop them.

So for you oWod gurus, do you have any suggestions for a splat and/or a build that can handle some of oWoD's worst combat monster PCs?

Do you mean an antagonist that will give a combat monster PC a run for his money, or PC type that can't be "ruined" by becoming a combat monster?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I'm looking to play a PC who can potentially stand up to a fellow PC without worrying about getting my head ripped off. It's something that hopefully won't be needed at all, but I've had more than a few run-ins with people who tend to circumvent roleplay by simply deciding to kill something and I'd like my character to be able to stand in the way of that if necessary. (Not that I'm against rolling dice and being in combat, but there are some times when "Immediately goes to combat guy" is stepping on other players' toes)

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Wasn't sure where to ask this but how do you do the dice rolling code that I'm seeing used in PBP threads?

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    Wasn't sure where to ask this but how do you do the dice rolling code that I'm seeing used in PBP threads?

Geth roll 1d10 for Example to Noobs.

Basically Geth roll "dice expression" for "what you want it labeled". Don't get too cute with trying to make it flow naturally or Geth might not notice it. You can edit a post if you screw up to trigger it but once it's triggered once it will ignore any future edits to the expression.

I don't think there is an explicit list of dice expressions handy but it tends to follow the ones used by orokos.com for some strange reason.
    The reason is that Infidel had a big part in both of those.)

Example to Noobs:
    1d10 2 [1d10=2]

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    That's super cool! Thank you.

Geth roll 1d2 thumbs up.

thumbs up.:
    1d2 2 [1d2=2]

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Hmm....does minion still work?

Minion roll 3eF for Curiousity

Edit: Yep. Minion should be able to be substituted for Geth when rolling.

Curiousity:
    3eF 3 Light Side, 1 Dark Side [3eF=DS, LS, LS/LS]

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    3+ years of work are finally starting to show some results. Got to play a printed prototype of my deckbuilder RPG Triptycho for the first time with my gaming group!

2dqktx8fdaqy.jpg

We had a ton of fun. The cards and accessories turned out really nice despite being made by me rather than an actual artist and full of free use license art.

Still many months of iterative work to do before I either pitch to a publisher or self publish, but it's really nice to see some results and play with tactile cards instead of cheap Web tools.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    3+ years of work are finally starting to show some results. Got to play a printed prototype of my deckbuilder RPG Triptycho for the first time with my gaming group!

2dqktx8fdaqy.jpg

We had a ton of fun. The cards and accessories turned out really nice despite being made by me rather than an actual artist and full of free use license art.

Still many months of iterative work to do before I either pitch to a publisher or self publish, but it's really nice to see some results and play with tactile cards instead of cheap Web tools.

Table Top Simulator to get a player base going?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Let me know when I can throw money at it @The Sauce so I can get a holographic rare first edition set with kickstarter exclusive Boss Monsters.

Also, we have a new thread guys since this one is at 101. It's HERE with permission from Vanguard.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Ran my first session of Fragged Empire. Team got destroyed in the first encounter.

Turns out I was running the henchmen rules wrong. Welp, at least the big, glaring, game ruining rules fuck up happened before we even got rolling.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Not sure if it's worth posting here, but I saw these at Mandarake Shibuya:
    CgAJzKvXIAE0XwJ.jpg

A series of tabletop RPG books based on SMT. There's one for Nocturne, original Megami Tensei, and one for Devil Summoner. I didn't buy them since I can barely speak the language much less read it, but I was wondering if anyone happens to be familiar with them, or maybe know of an English equivalent or translations?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @Echo do you mind closing this thread? Grunt's Ghosts set up a new one.

This discussion has been closed.